Ghoul patrol has very high potential model regen but has very slow turns. Not many lists will stop 120 ghouls that can regen models almost as fast as they lose them and turn up 9" away from the enemy. But moving 120 ghouls and recovering those that were killed is at times painfully slow.

Royal menagerie is pretty effective and is a lot quicker. Definitely can be very fun moving big monsters around, adding your own sounds effects whilst doing so is optional but does increase the fun factor ;).

Horror/flayer elite list... I'd go with deadwatch. Again can be effective and fast in terms of turn speed. Whilst the turns are not as fast as the royal menagerie it is still far faster than ghoul patrol. Still have the option of a big monster in a list like this if having big scarey monsters is your thing.

If just fun is what you're after its completely down to what you find fun. Plenty will find the ghoul patrol the most fun whilst others will hate how slow the turns are and love the royal menagerie.

Personally I can find any of those lists above fun to use, but if I was forced to play just 1 I would pick the royal menagerie.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Waizer said:

Ghoul patrol has very high potential model regen but has very slow turns. Not many lists will stop 120 ghouls that can regen models almost as fast as they lose them and turn up 9" away from the enemy. But moving 120 ghouls and recovering those that were killed is at times painfully slow.

Royal menagerie is pretty effective and is a lot quicker. Definitely can be very fun moving big monsters around, adding your own sounds effects whilst doing so is optional but does increase the fun factor ;).

Horror/flayer elite list... I'd go with deadwatch. Again can be effective and fast in terms of turn speed. Whilst the turns are not as fast as the royal menagerie it is still far faster than ghoul patrol. Still have the option of a big monster in a list like this if having big scarey monsters is your thing.

If just fun is what you're after its completely down to what you find fun. Plenty will find the ghoul patrol the most fun whilst others will hate how slow the turns are and love the royal menagerie.

Personally I can find any of those lists above fun to use, but if I was forced to play just 1 I would pick the royal menagerie.

This.

The only thing to add to this is that it will also depend on what level of competitiveness you want to play at. A Royal Menageri will tear right through unexperienced players and non-optimal lists. I ran it in a tournament last weekend, and the two times I went up against either the game was effecively over by the end of turn two. So it's a powerhouse, but I would never bring it to a friendly game. However, there are also lists out there that will shred the Menageri if they get the chance. A charge from buffed up chaos knights effectively ate two dragons in a turn, while Syvaneth shooting and a charge from Durthu did the same in a later game. I've given up on the FEC allegiance, though with a heavy heart, for my next tournament list in favour of GA:Death. I'm keeping the menageri though, because dragons :D

I haven't tried the Flayer Deathwatch list, or the Ghoul grind lists. They might do better, but I have no intention of trying them. I have trouble seeing how the Deathwatch list could do better against the top tier lists, and watching the Bonesplittaz player roll 180 dice a turn, never once getting to turn five, turned me right off the grind-list. That style of play is waaaaaay to slow for my liking.

Cheers guys!

i think a full ghoul grind would be laborious to use, 120 is beyond me for now but 40-10-10 could be doable tho in a more mixed force.

Flayers/Horrors will certainly be the quickest to build and paint tho  out of the three styles.

Played this list in two 2000 point games yesterday: 

(reroll 1s to hit delusion)

AGKoTG (Grim Garland)

Infernal Crypt Courtier (General - Dark Wizardry)

Vargulf Courtier 

Crypt Flayers x 9 

Crypt Flayer   x3

Ghouls                x40

Allies:

Mortis Engine 

Necromancer

Was overall happy with the list.  Think not taking the Deathwatch battalion is the right call. One, I can concentrate my Flayers more.  Two, it is so expensive now. Three, getting the pile in attack in the hero phase sounds great but I have found that with the killy nature of AOS you hardy get to set around long enough to use it effectively. So I much prefer taking the extra bodies that dropping the battalion allows.

Game 1: Played Khorne Murderhost in the meteor scenario

Knowing what was coming I hugged the table edge and he only got the super buffed-up 30 block of Bloodletters into my army.  It deleted most of my ghouls that I had screening my good units. Counter attack of the AGKoTG and the Flayers blew up the Bloodletters on the crack back and I started to plow through his army when I got the second round initiative.  His Bloodthrister eventually killed my AGKoTG but my big Flayer unit kept getting refilled and ended up clearing most of his army.  

Game 2: Played Stormcast (Hammerstrike) in Scorched Earth

Once again knowing I would not be going first and what was basically coming I deployed in a way as to limit his alpha strike options by clogging up my side with bodies.  The Retributor Bomb came down and hit my big Flayer unit as that was the only place he could get his boys in.  It did not wipe it, and the flayers healed up and cracked back with the AGKoTH.  He also left one of his objectives pretty open with only a five man unit of Judicators setting on it so I was able to summon in my small Flayer unit and raze it pretty quickly. Ended up winning on VPs after a grindy game.

Overall I thought the list performed well.  The Khorne list was tough as nails and the Flayer list held up.  The Stormcast list was fairly strong too so I was happy with how the FECs faired.  Loved the Mortis Engine. It buffed my casting, helped increase the army's mortal would output (which can be a weakness) and gave my opponents another target to think about. Not so sure about the Necromancer.  I got a devastating Danse off once on the big Flayer unit but a lot of the time he did not do a lot.  Will have to think about it and test a bit more. Still worried about heavy shooting lists, but I got a game this weekend with my buddy who will run my Bonesplitterz against it.  So will get to see how it does against 60 Arrowboyz.  

I think a Ghoul Patrol grind list is more competitive than this list, but I feel this type of list is personally funner and fits my play style a bit more.  

58 minutes ago, Waizer said:

Awesome battle reports m8. Gj against the khorne murderhost, tough as nails list and your one managed to beat it.

Yea I really enjoyed the build.  In the past I have really avoided having Flayers in units bigger than 6, fearing the big base size would limit their ability to get into combat and being restricted by needing 3 units for the battalion.  But after playing with 9 a bit I must say I loved them, they were hard to wipe and packed some punch.  Will probably go this way in the future.   

Yesterday I played this list with a friend of mine who fielded an enormous army of Khorne mortals+demons.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: The Grim Garland 
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
- General
Varghulf Courtier (160)
- Artefact: Blood River Chalice 

Battleline
3 x Crypt Flayers (160)
- Flesh Eater Courts Battleline (Crypt Infernal Courtier General)
30 x Crypt Ghouls (300)
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
6 x Crypt Horrors (320)
- Flesh Eater Courts Battleline (Crypt Haunter Courtier General)

Battalions
King's Ghouls (90)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1990 / 2000

His army consisted of a TON of bodies: 2 units of 30 bloodletters, 2 units of hounds, 1 unit of  20 naked mortals (I'm not familiar with the names),  1 unit of 15 armoured mortals, a bloodthirster, a bloodsecretor and some other things. He swamped the battlefield.
We played the second type of match, the one with the strange deployment zones (I don't know the english names, I assume something like Total Conquest?).

I finished first and then let him have first turn.
He stole the objective I couldn't reach and advanced with the red tide. In my turn I pushed forward my AGKoTG  and the flayers on the left side, demolishing the 20 mortals with the leadership bomb, leaving only 4 of them alive. I Charged the 30 demons with the TG and the horrors and the remaining mortals with the flayers.

Obviously I failed my 5+ ward save magic. And BOTH the TG and the Horrors rolled very poorly, killing only 5 demons. I rolled like that for the rest of the match with them.
I placed my TG in the wrong position, The Skulltaker piled in and dealt 6 wounds to it, with another 4 from the demons.
Meanwhile my flayers killed the 4 mortals, rolled a 6 for the feeding frenzy and piled into the houns, killing 2 of them.
Then we rolled for the initiative, he won it and basically destroyed my horrors and TG and flayers in one turn...

Leaving me with a bunch of heroes and the ghouls.

I had already lost it, but managed to kill the demons with the ghouls, who were then smashed by the heroes of khorne.

I clearly should have waited, instead of going all out against the bloodletters. My orrors and the TG are not so resilient as they were before. I should have put the TG more than 3" from the Skulltaker. But my rolls with  my elits have been so poor that I doubt I could have done more.

BTW these blades of Khorne are moething incredible, they can field way too many bodies.

I'm finding ghoul patrol actually not as strong as suggested. Taking large units (30-40) seems like the way to go. But, if you're hit with any decent level of output.. you're taking to much damage to midigate the battleshock... having only one IP a turn makes this difficult. 

Ive now started taking king's ghouls battalion for two reasons. 

One: it's only 90 pts! 

Two: if a unit from the battalion is in my half of the feild, they do not suffer from battleshock. So with big units of ghouls, just leave a tail. I've been messing with this list.. really enjoying it. 

IMG_2566.PNG

Played again with my the debuff bravery Flayer list (listed a couple posts back) again this weekend.  My buddy played a rock hard Bonesplitterz list with the Kunnin Rukk and 90 Arrowboyz.  The scenario was  Knife to the Heart. He was a 3 drop army so he had the choice and let me go first, hoping I would run up and get into shooting range.  Instead I turtled up in my corner and dared him to move up.  We played chicken for two turns, with him inching up to get me in range.  After his second turn when he was almost in range I pushed with everything.  The Flayers (with Danse on them), the AGKoTG and the Mortis Engine went plowing into the Arrowboyz.  They wrecked some face and did not take a lot on the hit back.  Then I won initiative and got another go with all my big stuff.  In this second round was able to fly over with the AGKoTK and get to the Big Boss. Ended up with a big win.  

Despite the big win, I still think this is a tough match up. He never really got to unleash on me.  I think he got a little impatience and should have waited me out a little bit more. Also I won the initiative at the critical time.  Was a fun game. The bravery debuff did massacre the low bravery Bonesplitterz. Am liking this army a lot.      

23 minutes ago, Rid said:

Am I realistically going to need more than one Crypt infernal courtier or Crypt haunter courtier?

I have never really found the need for more than 1 of each.  Most of the time if you want a duplicate of the effects given by either of the 2 courtiers I have found that most lists slide in a Vargulf instead.

I'll throw my 2 pence in. I for one am not using any battalions at the moment. Some battalions really stand out, but now that AOS is headed toward horde armies, the battalions in our arsenal are quite expensive and I always feel I can field more units of not taking battalions. 

Im a lover of horrors, so attendants at court is always my first pick, but at 150 points I haven't used it since GHB2015.

a 1.5k  list I'm trying tonight against either Stormcast or Dark aelves is:

crypt infernal courtier - general/dark wizardry 

ghoul king

varghulf courtier - blood river chalice

ghast courtier

3 flayers

3 flayers 

30 ghouls

6 crypt horrors

ive chosen 2 units of 3 flayers. This allows flexibility and the obvious reason of filling up BATTLELINE as I only have 6 flayers so far.

ghouls and horrors will objective hunt whilst my flyers will pick weak areas in the opponents army. 

Varghulf and ghoul king will hug the horrors, ghouls will deploy close enough to the horrors and varghulf to reap the benefit of the varghulf a replenish ability.

i am toying with taking the blood river chalice out and giving the infernal courtier grim garland to help with my flayer screams. What do you all think?

Played a game this afternoon with the same Flayer list I posted above.  Was up against a Skrye Skaven list with 9 Stormfiends and the other usually shooty goodness. We rolled  up the Scorched Earth scenario.

He went first and stayed back  waiting for me to come at the gunline.  I hung back too and the first turn was pretty boring.  He won the second and moved up enough to get his Poison Wind Mortar Weapons Teams in range and started dropping bombs.  He killed my Infernal Courtier General with the new Skaven damage doubling allegiance ability and picked off a couple Flayers.  On my turn I pushed up and hit his big blob of Skyre Acolytes that were screening his shooting units and deleted them.  He won the next initiative and I knew I was in trouble.  He opened up with the Lightning Canon and the Poison Wind Mortar Weapons Teams and his big unit of Stormfiends tunneled up and let loose with the Rattling Guns.  Basically shredded my big Flayer block and left my army crippled.  We played on but it was pretty over after that.

Knew this was a tough matchup going in.  He had the shooting to snipe my vital characters and the ability to alpha strike better.  If I had gotten the double turn in the 3rd round I might have had a chance but as it was it was a beat down.  I think Ghoul Patrol lists would fair better verses these types of lists, giving you a better way to close and get up in their face quicker.        

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2017 at 1:09 PM, TheWilddog said:

Allies:

Mortis Engine 

Necromancer

What's the Necromancer and Mortis Engine combo like as an ally choice? I'm cobbling together a FEC army, my first AoS army, and I've got to admit the Mortis Engine seems attractive as a relatively cheap source of mortal wounds.

After seeing a few examples armies around the internet, here's the rough list I'm building towards. Comparing it to other people's lists I'm guessing I've got way too few troops, but I don't know. I think I got too paranoid about making sure the army had sources of mortal wounds.

Leaders:

Crypt Haunter Courtier (AKA "Ghoul Queen") General, Dark Wizardry, Delusion: Crusading Army, Item: Flayed Pennant

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, Item: Grim Garland

Varghulf Courtier

Crypt Ghast Courtier

(Ally) Necromancer

Battle line:

20 Crypt Ghouls

6 Crypt Horrors

6 Crypt Horrors

Behemoth:

(Ally) Mortis Engine

Warscroll: 

Abattoir

5 hours ago, Inqy said:

What's the Necromancer and Mortis Engine combo like as an ally choice? I'm cobbling together a FEC army, my first AoS army, and I've got to admit the Mortis Engine seems attractive as a relatively cheap source of mortal wounds.

I have really enjoyed the Mortis Engine:

1. The buff to casting can be big, helps get the AGKoTG 5+ buff off.

2. The area of effect scream is so good when stacked with the Grim Garland debuff.

3. The once a game mortal wounds + heal can be major too.

It has become one of the funniest units in my army.  I am currently converting up a ghoulish looking one from a Corpse Cart. 

Read the thread from the beginning. Awesome thread guys, really good stuff.

Lot of doom and gloom about the allegiance. The GH:2017 did not live up to its hype. Many of us were looking for cool allegiance stuff, less restrictive battleline, more command abilities, a spell lore and notable point drops. The GH let us down big time.

As for the Allegiance, I'm liking it more and more with every game, and as you read through this topic, you see a myriad of good things going on.

Deathless Courtiers:
This is a lot more than I expected and this is awesome. Of course we can all agree the 5++ was much better, and we were not known for being a top tier army even with it, but its great that this is just a standard death thing now.

Feeding Frenzy:
this is nowhere near as bad as people think. First of all, Ghouls are very often in combat with multiple units. Larger units like 9 Flayers as well. Most importantly, its very easy to wedge a monster between two or more units (or have two or more units come at you). Considering this is one of 3 Allegiance traits, this is nice. The key thing is, if a Terrorgheist gets a double pile in, that is straight broken. I had a game where I ate a Warchanter, turned around and ate a Maw Krusha. You ask my opponent if he thinks that Feeding Frenzy sucks. Its not always going to be there, but it has a small chance to straight up win games for you. As one of 3 traits, its very nice.

Delusions:
These are kind of a pain and rarely even effect Ghouls or Horrors in a meaningful way, but again, they can be huge for your monsters. With Completely Delusional you can really get some mileage out of them as well.

Command Traits: 
All of these have uses in the right lists. A Terrorgheist re-rolling 1s to wound, or piling in twice on a 5+? Frenzied is the only one which is kind of a loser. Majestic Horror allows you to summon two courtiers when you need them, keeping them off the table and free from harm until a hero phase when you need to regen your army. Dark Wizardry takes the cake here, making any lowly char a free wizard with +1 to cast/unbind and he learns the Black Hunger spell. Being as that it doesn't really matter who your general is, this is the best artifact to take. (Some people feel this is not fluffy, but I think it makes sense, they are all insane after all).

Artefacts:
The Grim Garland all the way. This has such a massive impact in most lists. The flayed pennant is amazing with Ghoul Patrol or Menagerie, and of course the Blood River Chalice. I'm not overly impressed with the Chalice however, since we regen D3 every turn regardless. You can put it on your heavily priced GKoZD but you are just going to be extra sad when your opponent burns him down in one turn. I'm moving more and more away from the GKoZD to be honest, he was good at 400, the 40pt hike really made him overpriced. If you fail your spell, you basically just have a dragon, which is 140 pt cheaper. 

As far as lists, I'm finding that there are a lot of different ways to go

A. The Flayer list.
Optimally you have tons of Flayers, tons of things to bring them back, a Necromancer and Deadwatch. You have speed, heavy regen and mortal wound output. Deadwatch seems to not be worth the points any more, but a Necromancer is key. The problem is, if you are against an army that can just snipe out your 5+ save heroes while surviving the first wave, they are probably going to burn you down. From what I have seen its very swingy, and the annoying thing is the Flayer box is $$$$$. For the 9-6-3 that people like to run, you are looking at $282 to start. Personally I would get bored of so much of the same, and massing one unit tends to make armies very one dimensional. 

B. Ghoul Patrol
Ghoul patrol is pricey but you can get the +3 to charge now making it an 'alpha strike' list. Take one unit of 40 and bless them with a Necromancer and Ghoul King, and they will have a feast. This is great because you are going to regen even if your Courtier dies. Personally I would go 40-40-10 or 40-10-10. Even optimally played you are going to struggle against certain armies like Stormcast and Sylvaneth that need some rending or some mortals to make a dent in them. I would try to squeeze in a couple monsters in case that is the case. A GKoZD is an obvious choice with the re-rolling wounds, then maybe a Terrorgheist to back him up.  This is going to make a potent and well rounded list which should do well. 

C. Monster Mash
The Terrorgheist is arguably one of the most potent monsters in the game, and a steal at 300 points. Taking 3 of them with the Royal Menagerie can blow a lot of games out. Unfortunately, all your opponent needs is to buy some time with chaff and you might have a giant sitting duck situation on your hands. When you are paying 22-32 points per wound, mortals are going to hurt. I haven't experimented with this kind of army yet, but I would like to try. The main problem I see with this list is that a Vampire Lord on ZD really brings the list together, if you combine this with a GK on dragon and Tgheist, throw in another Tgheist or two, you have a very scary well rounded list, but you lose the 6" move and the chance to double pile in. The generic Death list might be a little better here.

D. Horror Heavy
I don't see much merit in a Horror heavy list, its like a slower Flayer list for the same price. If they didn't make Horrors more expensive (why??) this could be interesting but its heavily overshadowed by the rending, mortal and speed versatility that Flayers bring.

E. Mixed Lists
Personally, I think the best lists are somewhere in between these things. Maybe 80 ghouls and 9 horrors, 120 ghouls with 3 Terrorgheists, etc. Use all the tools available and make the most out of what the FEC has to offer.

For anyone interested, I started a battle report channel and posted my first report. I'm working on my second one now.

On 5/9/2017 at 4:01 AM, Okami said:

I want to see the Crypt Ghouls have a point drop as they don't do a lot and only good in the ghoul patrol from what I see. They aren't any better then zombies, yet zombies have a cool merge unit rule that I reckon the Crypt Ghouls should of been given as well.

Blasphemy. Ghouls and Zombies are different in almost every way. The merging thing is specifically thematic to zombies. Zombies are most often chaff, tarpit at best. Ghouls are murderers.

With Ghouls, its 40 or 10. Anything in between is a waste.

40: 9ppm, lot of bodies, lots of attacks, objective holder, around a long time to get brought back to life. I rarely lose a unit of 40 and when I do, they either did their job or I made a big mistake.

30: Now you are paying 10ppm and have 1/4 as many wounds because you cant dish out an extra 60pt?

20: Overpriced chaff unit. You will constantly lose one and miss out on a third of your attacks. 

10: Good chaff/blocker and minimum for battleline or battalion tax. Most of the time if your opponent is wasting shots on this chaff, its a good thing.

@divinemadman
Its so incredibly lame that you cannot take mounted monsters with Royal Menagerie. This shoves a wedge in its viability which totally sucks. Hopefully this gets FAQ'd (along with a ton of other disappointing things).

@Grimnaud
Awesome idea to ally a 80pt +1 to cast!

On 9/9/2017 at 11:25 PM, Malakithe said:

So I only just read the abilites and Abattoir and holy ******  it sounds devastating for anti-horde...roll a dice for each enemy model within 3" of an Abattoir model...thats a lot of rolling to potentially spit out MWs . As much as I hate Horrors that might be worth considering

The problem with Abattoir is that, if you have your opponent surrounded by ghouls and horrors, any unit/horde is about to be in bad shape. The mortals are not necessary. A horde of ghouls played right is going to kill just about anything with 3+ or worse saves.  Things with 2+ or re-rolling saves, you need mortal wounds for. This is very rarely a unit, most often a monster or elite unit of a few models, so you might get one mortal out of it. (When it is a unit with 2+, typically that is from buffs, which you can hunt down the hero providing the buffs before engaging the unit, so they are no longer 2+).

That being said, if you weaken a unit with mortals you have a higher chance of killing it before battleshock, and then rolling a 6 to pile in again. 110 points is pretty cheap for the free artefact and deployment bonuses alone, so its not a bad investment if you were already planning on fielding a Horror-heavy list regardless.

@Bullrott
Q4 - Strength in numbers is battleshock only. When someone is claiming extra bravery, make sure to verify if it is flat bravery vs battleshock bravery. 
Q5 - this is a very complex question with a lot of answers. The quickest way would probably be to prime white and just wash them in a color, a ghoulish green or fleshy tone, depending on what you are going for. This will take care of most of the work.

@Waizer
I think the dragon is unnecessary for this list. You don't need to re-roll wounds that much with this much hurt. Taking another terrorgheist would synergize even more with the garland (especially since he is the one who has it) and the 5++ spell is far more important - you can keep him alive a lot longer, and that is key since your list will start to fall apart real fast after they focus down your dragon. If you like the dragon, I would take 2 Tgheist and a dragon in the menagerie.

Thinking about this, this is a list that I want to try-

GK on Terrorgheist (G)
- Grim Garland
- Completely Delusional
GK on Terrorgheist
3 Terrorgheist
3 units of 10 ghouls
(2000)

If they make you go first, take Defenders of the Realm and only move up a few inches, protect your general so he is 3+/6++/5+++. 
If you go second, in most cases they moved up more than 2" which puts you in shriek/charge range for sure and you start ripping things apart. 
You also have to know your opponent, in some cases you have to deploy as far back as you can get to avoid first turn nastiness. 

On 9/22/2017 at 5:26 AM, Waizer said:

It is up to the player to play efficiently.
-As you can see in this first picture I'm moving 40 ghouls with ease.
-In the second picture, you can see I use easy to read dice. I have exactly 60 which allows me to do very quick math to grab the correct number of dice and roll them quick. It takes me about a minute total to complete 60 ghoul attacks which is about the most you will need at once. I roll my ghoul horde attacks very quickly and efficiently. 

IMG_6704.JPG.f511c0c77a8c58943fc1d03d5ac65e10.JPGIMG_6564.JPG.f01ebaef436e8304785c998a72c28720.JPG

On 9/26/2017 at 8:22 PM, TheWilddog said:

Played a game this afternoon with the same Flayer list I posted above.  Was up against a Skrye Skaven list with 9 Stormfiends and the other usually shooty goodness. We rolled  up the Scorched Earth scenario.

He went first and stayed back  waiting for me to come at the gunline.  I hung back too and the first turn was pretty boring.  He won the second and moved up enough to get his Poison Wind Mortar Weapons Teams in range and started dropping bombs.  He killed my Infernal Courtier General with the new Skaven damage doubling allegiance ability and picked off a couple Flayers.  On my turn I pushed up and hit his big blob of Skyre Acolytes that were screening his shooting units and deleted them.  He won the next initiative and I knew I was in trouble.  He opened up with the Lightning Canon and the Poison Wind Mortar Weapons Teams and his big unit of Stormfiends tunneled up and let loose with the Rattling Guns.  Basically shredded my big Flayer block and left my army crippled.  We played on but it was pretty over after that.

Knew this was a tough matchup going in.  He had the shooting to snipe my vital characters and the ability to alpha strike better.  If I had gotten the double turn in the 3rd round I might have had a chance but as it was it was a beat down.  I think Ghoul Patrol lists would fair better verses these types of lists, giving you a better way to close and get up in their face quicker.       

Great job on the win. Unfortunately your opponent played very poorly. One screen unit to prevent you from charging his ranged and it would have been all over for you.

1 hour ago, lastdarkness said:

Is it possible to build a 1000pt Abattoir Army thats decent ?

Sure, I mean people are down on Horrors in general but they're still good. I guess the issue is whether the Abbatoir battalion is going to give as much to that army as, say, an allied Necromancer for the same points? You can also merge the Horrors into one unit if you're not abiding by the Abbatoir restrictions, 6 double piling in black hungered Horrors (with re-rolls to hit assuming you're taking a GK on foot at 1k) sounds pretty nasty in a low points game!

34 minutes ago, flowerpot_chimp said:

Sure, I mean people are down on Horrors in general but they're still good. I guess the issue is whether the Abbatoir battalion is going to give as much to that army as, say, an allied Necromancer for the same points? You can also merge the Horrors into one unit if you're not abiding by the Abbatoir restrictions, 6 double piling in black hungered Horrors (with re-rolls to hit assuming you're taking a GK on foot at 1k) sounds pretty nasty in a low points game!

Im doing matched play rules.

I actualy had the similar conundrum, how to fit a Necromancer in.

4 minutes ago, lastdarkness said:

Im doing matched play rules.

I actualy had the similar conundrum, how to fit a Necromancer in.

Deathmages are allies for FEC, and are 110 points so the exact same cost as the Abattoir IIRC. Seems like a pretty easy swap, unless your heart is 100% set on running that particular formation. I've run Abattoir before, albeit against SCE so not the best test of it, but the mortal wound output was pretty underwhelming especially for essentially needing a second turn of combat to activate. 

16 minutes ago, flowerpot_chimp said:

Deathmages are allies for FEC, and are 110 points so the exact same cost as the Abattoir IIRC. Seems like a pretty easy swap, unless your heart is 100% set on running that particular formation. I've run Abattoir before, albeit against SCE so not the best test of it, but the mortal wound output was pretty underwhelming especially for essentially needing a second turn of combat to activate. 

Well I think it like Horrors is better then it seems but im really questioning using formations at less then 1500 points.

So Abattoir 110

Haunter Courtier 120

Two Units of 3 Horrors 320

and a unit of Crypt Ghouls 100-360 points.

I am torn between fielding 10, 20 or 30 Ghouls and with supports from there. Trying to fit a AGK and a Necro or Ghast Courtier from there.

I honestly feel that 40 ghouls is a trap; 30 will likely do just as much.  However, if you have 60 extra points, then might as well take 40.  I still feel Horrors did not need a points increase however.  No rend basically means they fall apart against anything with a good save, and being the same points as Flayers, Flayers are faster, have rend and a chance at mortal wounds, and a ranged attack (however lackluster it is).

Archived