• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

zombie dragon or Terrorgheist (and why)?

Hmmmm, tough question. I usually tend to grab the TG...but both are valid on their own and with a king on top.

The TG scream is cool 6+d6-brvy with the grim garland brutal. The claws are ok and the maw with the potential flat 6dmg pretty scary.

the ZD has a d6 dmg breath attack with -3 rend very good for killing seraphon, ok maw attacks 3/4+/3+/-2/d6 and a ton (7) claw attacks 4+/3+/-2/2, so a very nice brawler...

the spells they get with their King’s are also very cool:

tg: extra 5+ ward

zd: reroll to wound within 10“

For me, the tg is slightly better, with the scream and the spell, but that is just preference. A GKoZD with some haunters (reroll everything) might be devestating

Okay, I have my first 1000 points together and primed.  List is:

General:  Crypt Infernal Courtier with Dark Wizardry

AGK on Terrorghiest, with Grim Garland

3 Crypt Flayers

29 Ghouls

Works out to 1000 points even.  Once I get the other 2 Flayers put together, and add in the Crypt Ghast courtier, I'll have 1240.   Usual game size around here is about 1500 points.  What's a good add for the last 260 points? Also thinking about the possibility of allies at that level.

FMB

Since allies don‘t get deathless minion anymore, the 40 skellis blob is kinda stupid. The wightking lost his banner, necromancer his van hels... can‘t think of any real treats to put into your list.

but, I personally would add another 10 ghouls (for home base sitting) and grab a varghulf courtier to complement the regeneration of your aggressive stuff and punch some faces...

ps don’t forget, that with your GKoTG you can summon in your flayers, can be interesting in some scenarios 

No secret hot sauce anymore...

i played with varghulf as general, dark wizardry till two weeks ago, till I read here somewhere I was not supposed to take the ring of immortality.

but against skydwarves shooting my general to a fine mist...what to do now 

all the best and 

MEAT IS WHAT‘s FOR DINNER!!!

Yeah, the allies list for FEC is incredibly restrictive. The only unit that you can ally in that does anything the FEC can't already do themselves are probably morghasts, but at 220 for 2 they're very awkwardly pointed for being allies.

On 26/03/2018 at 2:30 PM, Honk said:

but against skydwarves shooting my general to a fine mist...what to do now 

I would suggest that whilst thematic, the Varg is probably the worst choice for a FEC general. Doesn't unlock any additional batteline and is both squishy and a large model. If you don't want to use a Ghoul King in some format as your general you're better off taking a model that easier to completely hide from ranged alpha strike. Invest in as much LoS blocking terrain as you can! Ophidian archways look great and are fantastic for hiding key pieces. 

Yes, but he was kinda good and we played 750 points with only 1 hero... I was loosing, even before the game started.

but the 9 flayers wrecked the stupid skydwarves, while the 10 ghoulies actually meant serious business going into the endinrigger *whateverballoonidiots

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, old player here getting FRESH MEEEEAAAT hungry and wanting to try out FEC. I have some leftovers from my old Vampire counts army back in 8th ed so I figured out I give them a try. This is what I have and can field:

AGK, AGK on ZD/TG, TG, Crypt ghast, 40 crypt ghouls , 6 Crypt Horrors, 3 Crypt Flayers (well....vargheists actually but I don't think anyone will ever complain about them having a different face; they are ugly, hungry and they fly....they are good!!!!). I also wanted to expand a bit with a Varghulf aother AGK (just to have enough of them), and more and more and MOOOOOOREEEEEE Crypt flayers (I love their capacity of dashing MW and seeing the direction this game is tanking with all these immortal big pieces, MW will definitely be handy).

I managed to put together a 1000 pts list and wanted to have a second opinion on that as I still have to try it out (hoping to do it next week):

AGK on TG         400  general (+some trait and obj I still need to look up. any tip in here?)

Crypt ghast        80

10x CG                 100

10x CG                 100

6x CH                    320

1000/1000

Not really sure if the AGK will be better on ZD rather then TG seeing the synergy with the CH and get rid of the CGhast. I mean it will be really just a game to learn how to play them (as I know you have to have a veeeeeeeeeeeery good memory to remember all the abilities they have or they trigger) so I m not really look for a competitive list but you know.... .

The idea is to get the CH on light units and hold the line with the CG seing the can come back easily with the CGhast around. And for obvious reasons hunting down everything else with the ABG flying here and there.

Played with:

AGK, Varghulf (general, Dark wizardry, flayed pennant), GC, 20 ghouls, 10 ghouls and 6 flayer

fast and hard hitting, but with low save... the ghouls are almost useless, shooting will ruin your heros faster than expected

but welcome back!!! 

So I've been building up an army of them for a little while now. Running them in a Path to Glory campaign and then getting them up to 1200 points for a tournament I ran the other week (In case a bye army was required).

This is what I ran at 1200 points:

Ghoul King on Terrorgheist - General, Totally Delusional, Grim Garland

Ghoul King on Foot

10x Ghouls

10x Ghouls

3x Horrors

3x Flayers

3x Flayers

I think if I were to make it better, I'd swap out the Horrors for a Vargulf Courtier for some resurrection action and another hero for Duality of Death. You only lose out on 2 models and a few extra attacks.

I only got to play 2 games with the list, 1 practice game and 1 at the tournament (as someone had to leave early due to an emergency). In both games my Terrorgheist and Flayers basically got to pick my opponents army apart big by bit.

The Horrors just feel a little awkward. They're not really much tankier than the Flayers. They don't get as many attacks as Flayers (and even if nearby a King, on average less hits  go through). They lack rend, so even with 2 damage it might not even get through armour. Then they're slower, don't fly, don't get to scream, and have no access to mortal wounds. I don't feel like they've done anything that more Flayers wouldn't accomplish.

The one positive thing I can say about them though is... they're much more enjoyable to paint than Flayers. Find it a little inconvenient that I need to keep the wings separate when painting (otherwise they make it hard to reach certain details). So it's good to paint something a little different that's not an inconvenience.

That being said, I think I'm almost done with my Flesh-Eaters. The bigger models get a bit samey since there's no changeability in the components you use to put the Flayers and Horrors together. I have no real mind to get them to a competitive list, they've always been a nice little side project for me based around my original converted Abhorrant Ghoul King. I've already got a Ghast Courtier, and now I've got the Infernal and Haunter Courtier in the middle of conversion. I reckon I'll just paint up my remaining Ghouls and the Courtiers and that'll be it, maybe another 3 Crypt Horrors if I can find them on the cheap.

The horrors were quite impressive with a king nearby, rerolling to hit is really nice, but really depending on opponents save. Very good against plaquebearers f.e.

the flayer in min squat never really performed for me, but last game 6 of them with black hunger, really started the mortal wound spam. Deleting a stormcast arrow-angel-hero first charge, almost deleting the hero on dracoth (last wound). But you really have to watch out for your heros, healing is not really possible (aside gk) and our save almost non existing.

But 6flayer with GKoTG with grim garland will be terrifying indeed.

the rest hunkers down (varghulf general, dark wizardry/ gk/ 2x10 ghouls) Talking GKs as generals is not really interesting (If the flayers are already on the field) and dark wizardry gives the option to cast another spell, Black Hunger on gkotg or the flayers, mystic shield whatever. Rather declare a ghoul courtier general than a gk...

as for traits, i‘m All into crusaders...

Well, if you like them, that’s good enough.

They are not very competitive and lost the necromancer ally, but still fun to play and I think with effort you can win games.

The start collecting box is quite nice, just grab two and your set. Magnetizing the flayers/horrors was a pain, but they are quite expensive and if you want to try deadwatch with 21 of them, that’s costly and horrors play very nicely too...

rules wise they are not really complicated (heros in certain ranges for buffs) in comparison to the dwarves with runes, paper of the day and skyport and whatnot.

But watch out for noob sharks and really start playing in a friendly environment, hardcore competitive meta with FEC can be considered a kinky fetish 

Just started as an army builder project and grew onto me, now planning a maximum grind game vs ironjawz, 3x30 ghouls with 3 courtier for neverending slaughter...

The slaughter crazed madmen lead by king Harald the Splendiferous, just too funny

The new fluff is just fantastic, honestly my favorite fluff from AOS so far.  The fluff really inspired my to do a lot of conversions and got me jazzed about the Ghouls. Plus, I have always loved the Terrorgheist and Crypt Horror/Flayers models, two of my favorite kits.

1 hour ago, BarrowLord said:

Does anyone know how the Muster Men at Arms ability works?  Specifically I'm checking to see if it requires reinforcement points (I'm assuming it does, but I don't see it in the G.A. Death F.A.Q.).

The GHB2017 clarifies how powers which summon interact with matched play.

The basic rule is that if it adds a new unit to the table, or brings a completely destroyed unit back to the table, then you have to pay reinforcement points for the unit summoned. If the power just summons models into an existing unit its free, but can never bring the unit above the number of models it started the game with.

What this means for FEC is that all of the Abhorrants' Command Abilities require setting aside reinforcement points, but the courtiers' abilities function just fine.

11 minutes ago, Inqy said:

The GHB2017 clarifies how powers which summon interact with matched play.

The basic rule is that if it adds a new UNIT to the table, or brings a completely destroyed unit back to the table, then you have to pay reinforcement points for the unit summoned. If the power just summons models into an existing unit its free, but can never bring the unit above the number of models it started the game with.

What this means is that all of the Abhorrants' Command Abilities require setting aside reinforcement points, but the courtiers' abilities function just fine.

I didn't catch that distinction.  Thanks!

more or less no command abilities for us...

although with the king on terrogheist you can backfield summon some flayers to grab objectives or harass war machines or home base babysitters (killing /reenforcement).

but without support (save 5+, no deathless save) they´ll go down pretty quick.

still, summoning in units from the table edges can really prove to be a good way of capturing late game objectives, it is a point based game most of the times

I think ultimately there's a few reasons why the summoning isn't particularly interesting for us:

1. Ghoul Kings don't unlock better battleline choices, so you're given incentive to make the Haunter or Infernal Courtier the General over the Kings, hence losing the command ability option anyway

2. You need to set aside the reinforcement points, but there's no backup if you're unable to use them due to the General dying. As @Honk suggested, the abilities are probably more useful for trying to steal objectives late game. Which means your General actually has to survive until then to use it. If he dies, those points are lost.

Other armies like DoT which use summoning, have other ways to use the reinforcement points if they lose say the Gaunt Summoner. Someone else could summon the balewind. You could split Pinks into blues. You could summon a unit of Flesh Hounds, etc. 

3. As @Honk also mentioned, the units being summoned are very fragile being most likely outside the death save bubble (or if in one, likely could've just run across the field to get there anyway).  So as a tactic, it certainly needs to be used wisely.

This ultimately makes it a very niche tactic to use. Given that summoning is being slowly pushed out of the game, no doubt the Ghoul Kings would have very different command abilities if the FEC were designed today. What'd likely be funny is most likely they'd actually revert to the previous version.

I've thought about it yesterday. Don't hesitate to share your opinion on it.

Leaders : 640 Pts

- 1 x Abhorrant Ghoul King ( General with Chalice) 120Pts

-1 x  Crypt Horror Coutier (With  Bone) 120 Pts

- 1 x Crypt Ghast Courtier 80 Pts

- 2 x Varghulf Courtier 320

Units : 1120 Pts

- 1 x 20 Crypt Ghouls 200Pts

- 2 x 3 Crypt Horrors 320 Pts

- 1 x 20 Crypt Ghouls 200 PTS

- 1 x 6 Crypt Horrors 320 Pts

- 1 x 10 Crypt Ghouls 100 Pts

Battalion : 200 Pts