Kharadron Overlords - Post your Barak/Fleet

Trebuchenanigans

Hi all

While we have a "Let's Chat" KO thread, which is great for army building ideas & tactics, I thought it might be a good idea to start a separate thread for narrative/fluff discussion for the faction. Specifically so that it doesn't clutter up the great tactical discussion going on in there. Mods, please feel free to move/alter as you see fit if this is in the wrong place.

I'll go first, although I'm only starting to work this out myself.

Fleet: The Black Iron Charter

Port: Barak-Gazul

Admiral/Flagship: Jhasson Grundvengryn/Unbakit

A smaller sky-port located in Shyish, the realm of death, Barak-Gazul began as a small joint venture between the dour traditionalists of Barak-Thryng & the pragmatic militarists of Barak-Zon. The port was named after the ancient Duardin god of the dead at the suggestion of the founders from Barak-Thryng as an intent to honour their ancestors. However, over time it has taken on a darkly humorous tone as its inhabitants encounter more and more of the undead that populate the land below them.

The Black Iron Charter is a highly effective military fleet based at Barak-Gazul. The fleet has a remit to conduct search & destroy missions against perceived threats against the port, and as such has been granted considerable lee-way as to how it conducts its operations with respect to the Kharadron Code. The current admiral, Jhasson Grundvengryn, has spent a considerable part of his career as both a Thunderer in the employ of the Grundcorps, and a Skywarden prior to promotion to his first captaincy and subsequent elevation to the Admiralty. He is a grizzled veteran not given to many words, and commands the respect of his crew through his actions (and his custom Aethershock Bludgeon).

Code:

Artycle - Settle The Grudges

Amendment - Prosecute Wars With All Haste

Footnote - These Are Just Guidelines

I haven't got it all sorted yet, but I have a general idea where I'm headed. I've got the vision for Barak-Mhornar, the Pirate City. My Fleet will be focussed on the art and trade of Brewing, with a secret itinerary: Find the keys to the recipe of the fabled Bugman's Best. Often thought lost to the 8 Winds, they've returned time and again after years of being gone. Always different, always changed...and always with holds full of bewildering riches. 

The image of influence:

Kharadron Overlords Tentacle City.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

I haven't got it all sorted yet, but I have a general idea where I'm headed. I've got the vision for Barak-Mhornar, the Pirate City. My Fleet will be focussed on the art and trade of Brewing, with a secret itinerary: Find the keys to the recipe of the fabled Bugman's Best. Often thought lost to the 8 Winds, they've returned time and again after years of being gone. Always different, always changed...and always with holds full of bewildering riches. 

The image of influence:

Kharadron Overlords Tentacle City.jpg

That sounds perfect for some great narrative games. I wish you fleet luck in their quest, and hope they can quench their hard-earned thirst on the best cold beer soon.

Alright, I've been toying with a variety of things, but think I'm finally settling into a thematic idea I like.  My skyport will consist of explorers and relic hunters.  They travel the realms searching for artifacts and mapping the lands.  Artifacts are often traded or reclaimed for historical display, but many are studied so that the ancient magic might be recreated/reverse-engineered using the more advanced science of aether-gold manipulation.  When the skyport was young and traveled widely, it discovered a unique formation in the Realm of Chamon.  An ancient beast of immense size had died upon a sky island and either was crystal to begin with or crystalized over time to form a giant hollowed beast made of crystal.  It lay among a crystal desert and offered plenty of room to build within and around the beast.  The dwarfs immediately saw the benefit of using a floating island as a skyport as less lift was needed with endrins and the crystal corpse made a well-fortified cavern with intrinsic skylights.  Additionally, the crystal enabled unique processing methodologies of aether-gold, resulting in highly purified aether-gold and pushed the frontiers of aether-gold experimentation (have some ideas like optical manipulation of color and perhaps using crystal/aether-gold manipulation to display images on their masks which frighten their enemies - like samurai of old).  Thus, the skyport was born. 

Here is where you can help!  I am struggling with a name as we do not have a full glossary of dwarf words.  I was hoping for a dwarven word for demon - to go with demon-masks or demonhold or some such.  But not finding that word, I've got two choices at the moment and I hope you can help pick what you think sounds better.  Using Drakk - which is dragon or monster -and Izril - which is jewel:

Barak Drakkizril  or Barak Izrildrakk - City of the Jeweled Dragon

Thoughts?  Or should I just make up some words?

20170508_080744.jpg

20170508_080822.jpg

Not sure where the best place for these are, but I thought it may be useful to link some of the Khazalid (dwarf language) references out there for us dwarfs.  In particular, I found a site which had images of a larger set of runes (including some for Chaos)!  http://s999.photobucket.com/user/Master_Admiral/media/WHFB/Official and Community Artwork/KhazalidRunes01_zps8ae53d73.jpg.html?sort=4&o=7

General language and basic runes:  http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Khazalid

General language with some additional info http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Khazalid_lexicon

An English to Khazalid reference http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/tutorials/article/115-dwarf-language-english-to-khazalid-dictionary/

Another site for Chaos Dwarfs explained suffixes a little better:

Suffixes

• -az

This is used to show that the root word represents an actual physical object or place, as it is the most important signifier in the language, it is usually the first signifier on the end of a root word, before any others. However, the Dwarfs consider many things solid which would not be considered so by humans, even when the Dwarfs are talking about something which is not a place or thing, they may be referring to the "real", reliable or core essence of something. For instance, Dar is the root for "bet" or "challenge", and adding -i creates Dari-- a gambler or punter; however adding -az (Daraz, a formal challenge) and then -i creates Darazi - challenger, as a challenge is much more solid and real than a mere wager.

• -ak

This shows the root applies to an abstract concept, such as honour. However, again, Dwarfs often make distinctions for something they consider as real and physical as themselves. A grudge to be avenged is still a Dammaz, rather than a Dammak which simply refers to any outstanding grudge regardless of importance.

• -ar

This shows something continues over time indefinitely, such as an activity engaged in by all people like urbar - trade, or Zonstrollar (literally "sun walking")-- the movement of the sun. In this sense it is similar to the English suffix "ing". The subject need not be an activity, though; urt - pain, becomes urtar-- pain which does not cease (chronic pain).

• -en

Something which is currently occurring, but will not go on forever, or has not gone on forever; e.g. Strollen - Walking.

• -i

The word refers to an individual person, a profession, a formal group of people (for instance a country) or a race. For example, daw relates to the Dwarfs in general; however, Dawi is the word for the race of Dwarfs, and Dawi'zharr (Dwarfs of Fire) is the word for the race of Chaos Dwarfs.

• -al

An informal group of people, similar to a collective noun; e.g. Umgi is the race of humans, while Umgal is a band or informal group of humans.

• -it

Used when a noun indicated something small or of little importance and can also be used to indicate a present tense verb in some cases. Almost every known has a verb form shown by -it and as Khazalid is their native language, Dwarfs are very adept at distinguishing between the two uses.

• -ul/kul

Not necessarily a signifier, but can mean that the root refers to "the art of", the "mastery of", or "the understanding of". Example: Argul is the art of carving stone.

• -ha

Used at the end of a sentence to indicate urgency or exclamation. Virtually the Khazalid equivalent of an exclamation mark.

I hope that helps others! 

Definitely!  Honestly, I knew most people had access to the Khazalid language somewhere, however, that photobucket link has 5 pages of runes for each word in the dictionary.  Very cool and might represent an opportunity to show rediscovered runes, thought lost, now that our KO have a more advanced society.

Like Dez I don't have everything worked out just yet as far as names go.  Once I'm done building my initial 1000 points The story side will begin to fill in a bit more.  Only two more Thunderers and a frigate to go!

Skyhold: Barak-Zon

Fleet name: TBD

Character names:TBD

The start of my story is about the admiral of this fleet leading a band of warriors to find the remains of one of those gigantic battleships.  The admirals family was dishonored and had their iron star taken from them because it was his great great grandfather who led the ship, and it's unclear what led to its demise.

Since Sigmar has started to create settlements in the mortal realms rumors tell of a giant menacing structure roaming the frontiers of Chamon. It has left many strange stories of dissaperances in its wake.  The biggest clue is that it displayed the signature markings of a ship from Barak-Zon.

I'm with most of you guys here, still working some of the kinks out, but I've got a decent idea of where I'm headed. Here's the first draft, which will be fleshed out as I collect my models and build the display board I have in mind...

Base of opperation: Gorak-Azgal - the Hidden Hoard

Port of anchor: Barak-Mhornar

Fleet name: Unsure, possibly Baraz-a-Berek (the "Oath to Oneself")

Flagship: the Ironclad "Ghalkol" - the Black Skull

While not pirates per say (privateers being a more appropriate term), the fleet operates from a fort hidden within a floating island in Hysh. A great cave has been gouged within the rock that is accessible only from bellow, with the only opening being located in the shadows underneat the landmass, rendering it nearly invisible to anyone who does not know where to look for it. Operating from this secure location, the fleet usually operates independantly, heading back to port only when replacement crew is required. While they sport standard Mhornar colors when flying to (and from) the skyport, once back to base their ships are always repainted in sombre black as a way to proclaim their relative independance.

1 minute ago, Dez said:

Really cool @Spinsane, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Ships look weathered and lived in, and they may fly different flags depending on where they are (like the real pirates of old).

I liked the nice touch of having an endrinrigger/master currently repainting the hull, which would fit with the theme I have in mind. So most of the hull would be black, with the bottom half/rear-quarter of the starbord side still blue.

Hadn't thought about the different crew colors, but it's a nice touch that could add further character to the force. Will have to think about this further

Hello, nice idea for a thread.

i currently don't have a fleet name, but will develop that as I grow my force, as of right now I only have the admiral and first arkanaut company, so it's still growing.   Guess I can create something really fast that might get replaced as I come up with something better.

Skyport:. Barack-Wyr, City of Winter.

Admiral Thoryn Icewidget! lord of the Tempest fleet.   

Flagship:  The ironclad, Frost guardian.  (One day hopefully replaced with a battleship)

Fluff that I already had for my sky port.

Tempered by Cold Artic winds and the constant battles, Barak-Wyr Thrives in the Ghur, the Realm of Beasts.  Due to the constant struggles of combat, the wear and tear of the harsh winds and the cold, and the constant repairing of their fleet of ships, Barak-Wyr still manages to profit.  Trading almost exclusively with the City of Excelsis, the sky fleets scavenge ancient ruins as well as the Aether Gold of the skys for trade goods, metal, and relics.    If not for the continued repair and maintenance of their fleets, and the everpresent danger the Orruks, Ogors, Grots and other vile beasts, Barak-Wyr would be one of the wealthier sky ports.  To help protect the skyport, they have chosen to hide their city from the dangers that lurk in this realm by staying above most of the harsh arctic winds.  Because of this, the fleet captains and their crew have learned to navigate and ride the strong arctic current.    They have also learned to rely on their technology and the science that creates their air ship and keeps their proud city afloat.   Due to these conditions, the fleets employs a huge number of Edrinriggers to keep their ships in pristine fighting condition, and rarely does an airship leave the sky port without Edrinriggers tagging along.  

So the Code that Barak-Wyr follows is Master the Skys, Trust Aethermatics not superstition, and Without our ships we are naught.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My skyport will be Barak Ghull. Port of the exiles

Base of operations: Ever shifting

Port of Anchor: Barak Morhnar

Flagship: ironclad "Drazh Maraz" (Nightcleaver)

the port was founded by admiral Stromni "redbeard" Malakaison after he was falsely accused and found guilty of buccaneering and piracy. The accusations were pinned on redbeard after he rescued the crew and cargo of a downed ironclad. This ironclads captain, who had gotten drunk and fallen asleep at the bridge, accused redbeard for attacking and grounding his vessel,taking its cargo and killing its crew.

After the council found redbeard guilty, he killed The coward captain in a berserkers rage. 

He was then condemned to walk the plank off of the edge of Barak Morhnar, but was rescued by his loyal crew. 

In redbeards despair after his damnation, he delved into ancient writings in search of a way to restore his good name and reputation. He found out about the oath of the slayer. He swore then and there, with his crew as his witness, to seek a glorious doom in a way that would redeem himself in the eyes of his home port and all of the kharadron. His entire crew immediately swore the same oath.

After this his fleet has grown with the influx of other misfortunate  duardin who for some reason or other no longer is allowed or wish to be part of its port of origin.

In order to serve under the command of Readbeard they all have to swear an oath to serve the exile fleet and to seek their redemption in a glorious doom. And along the way take all the plunder they can. 

On many occasions when a flotilla of a kharadron sky port found itself on the brink of extinction, facing overwhelming odds, a dark plated fleet of unknown skyvessels arrive. With red bearded ancestors at their bow, they come in from nowhere to save the day at great risk to their own vessels, only to disappear again when the heroic deed is done. 

On other occasions the same fleet has been rumored to fly black flags and seize the cargo of aethergold tankers and then disappear in the night. 

Here is admiral "Redbeard" WIP

IMG_1563.JPG.ce4be771a1c71adf1ba1d88d8c9745b7.JPG

1 hour ago, Baardah said:

My skyport will be Barak Ghull. Port of the exiles

Base of operations: Ever shifting

Port of Anchor: Barak Morhnar

Flagship: ironclad "Drazh Maraz" (Nightcleaver)

the port was founded by admiral Stromni "redbeard" Malakaison after he was falsely accused and found guilty of buccaneering and piracy. The accusations were pinned on redbeard after he rescued the crew and cargo of a downed ironclad. This ironclads captain, who had gotten drunk and fallen asleep at the bridge, accused redbeard for attacking and grounding his vessel,taking its cargo and killing its crew.

After the council found redbeard guilty, he killed The coward captain in a berserkers rage. 

He was then condemned to walk the plank off of the edge of Barak Morhnar, but was rescued by his loyal crew. 

In redbeards despair after his damnation, he delved into ancient writings in search of a way to restore his good name and reputation. He found out about the oath of the slayer. He swore then and there, with his crew as his witness, to seek a glorious doom in a way that would redeem himself in the eyes of his home port and all of the kharadron. His entire crew immediately swore the same oath.

After this his fleet has grown with the influx of other misfortunate  duardin who for some reason or other no longer is allowed or wish to be part of its port of origin.

In order to serve under the command of Readbeard they all have to swear an oath to serve the exile fleet and to seek their redemption in a glorious doom. And along the way take all the plunder they can. 

On many occasions when a flotilla of a kharadron sky port found itself on the brink of extinction, facing overwhelming odds, a dark plated fleet of unknown skyvessels arrive. With red bearded ancestors at their bow, they come in from nowhere to save the day at great risk to their own vessels, only to disappear again when the heroic deed is done. 

On other occasions the same fleet has been rumored to fly black flags and seize the cargo of aethergold tankers and then disappear in the night. 

Here is admiral "Redbeard" WIP

IMG_1563.JPG.ce4be771a1c71adf1ba1d88d8c9745b7.JPG

Great to see some old world lore seeping in to the new Kharadron fluff! The orange beard-guard is woundeful too. 

Thanks @Malburr. I plan on adding a few dispossessed units into the mix too. A small auxiliaries force with miners and their guardsmen: ironbreakers and irondrakes. I feel that miners fit for being miners, while

ironbreakers and drakes fit with face masks. 

Awsome thread here. I find it really inspiring to read about all your fellow kharadron collecor´s sky ports!

I too have written down the stories of the sky-port my Overlords hail from, if interested I have a blog dedicated for thier lore here: 

But to sum it up: 

The Kharadron Overlords of the sky-port Elgi-Bar in Ghur are known for thier expertise as hunters and that thier home being built upon a humongous Aether-gold filled, flying jelly fish (Elgi meaning weak-skinned in Kazhalid). 

Love to read all these!  Crazy awesome I inspiration.  

I've been thinking of what to do with mine latley and I've come to Barak Varn the fallen port.  A smaller port that made most of its riches by being trade brokers and shipping people/cargo. They made plenty of rivals and enemies though and eventually found their home under seige by a skaven mercenary army and from the Duardin they were ferrying. A rival port found it in their best interest to take the territory and claim it's riches for themselves. The surprise attack from inside took the city by surprise and the few defenders that remained were mostly overwhelmed. 2 out of the 5 endrins keeping the massive sky port afloat were blown out and Barak Varn was sent crashing into the Glimmering peaks where it partially landed in a great lake. 

Now they mostly trade with the local dispossessed that have recently reacquired they're mountain homes. Even if the sky port is down the ships are able to still fly and trade. Those that are decmossioned are turned into fishing boats. 

I'm still working on a few things. At some out after enough wins I'd like to think I can try and advance tha tory of fixing up the port and getting it off the ground :p. Also been toying with the idea of some kind of crystal disease being released from under the lake that slowly creeps out from the lake into the surrounding area. But I'm it sure about that yet haha

• 1 month later...

Barak-Mizpal was known for the giant aether-gold reinforced glass sphere that kept the Duardin inside safe from both the wind and sunrays that soaked the orb. The Skyport, tethered to a long-dormant volcano, became known for their vanity and the quality of their city life. 

With a horde of Chaos ravaging the neighboring lands the leaders of Barak-Mizpal established a perimeter of outposts who would allow the denizens of Barak-Mizpal to live as normal until the horde turned their gaze on their lonely volcano and they had to use the main fleet to drag the city away.

Unbeknownst to the Duardin the local Seraphon nation, also fearing the impending legion, were stoking the fires of a long dead volcano, invoking their most powerful rituals of portent. 

The Duardin of Barak-Mizpal were initially interested in the "Karag-Orrud" phenomena. Aether-Khemists hurriedly bribed Endrinriggers to collect the red gas, Aetheric Navigators charted the movement of crimson tendrils as they rode the wind. And then with a rumble that was felt throughout the surrounding landscape, and a flash that was seen for miles they were gone.

The perimeter forces piled into their Frigates and rushed towards the explosion but the Seraphon, mistaking them for the doom foretold by this volcanic disaster, began to engage them in combat.

The forces that survive wander the countryside surrounding where Barak-Mizpal once hung from the mountaintop, they are now known as "Langk-Strol."

Langk-Strol - roughly translated as "Long Walk" search the jungle for survivors and the spare parts needed to fix their downed Frigate "Vengryn Grumback" and reconnect with an allied Skyport.

Serrim Sinwav, the Grumback's Aether-Khemist leads the Duardin force that they've been able to recover thus far. 

My plan is to go cover as much of the metallic pieces as possible. Thinking Slaves to Darkness color scheme with rusting. Figure they've been out without a proper recalibration for a while, and would want to mask their equipment a bit so as not to be spotted/targeted. Not getting a Frigate until I get past 1,000 points, dumping first 1k into balloons and thunderers.

I made a "Skyport" block for Langk-Strol. I'm seeing this as a clan of Overlords that have been separated from the main infrastructure for a long time at this point. That said, they still adhere to the Code and strive to return to Kharadron society. Colors will be earthtones, to survive in the dense jungle they now inhabit. 

-ARTYCLE: Respect Your Commanders

-AMENDMENT: Always Take What You Are Owed

-FOOTNOTES: There's No Reward Without Risk

-Efficiency Is Virtue- Once per battle, during your hero phase, a unit that lacks the FLY characteristic may retreat- making a move (including running if you wish) as if it were their movement phase. They may not embark as part of the move.

Command Trait: As long as you lack a SKYVESSEL your GENERAL, and Langk-Strol units within 9" of the general increase their movement by 1.

Ability: Clinging to the Code- you may utilize FOOTNOTES twice per battle, instead of once. 

It's late/early- let me know if this is madness.

My next projects planned Skyport (I don't knows Dwarven so I'll hit this in English)

The City of Rust (Also referred to as the Rust Yard)
Once a bountiful port whose name has long since disappeared to the more appropriate City of Rust, this port housed some of the mightiest and fool hardy captains every to sail the skies of the realms. So close was it to the migration path of the Leviathans of the sky that on a clear day a dwarf with iron in their loins could lean across the size to see these mighty beasts pass far below the monolithic city. The primary trade for the port lie in its massive docks capable of housing countless slain leviathans that the engineers, khemists and more than a handful of deranged smugglers could carve into the carcasses. From them came lush oils, bountiful hide that could turn even the most keen of blade, its bones could be ground down into powders for medicines and explosives but more valuable of all lay the massive glands of Aethergold that allowed these beasts to fly despite their enormous bulk.

It is said that a Storm once hit the city unlike any other, swarm after swarm of seething bugs and flies cascading from rot clouds seeking to devour all that lay within. Still this was no mere human city, the vault seals remained intact and despite the cleanup operation taking some weeks the casualties sustained with minimal. Trade however took the most damage, the carcasses of leviathans held in dock waiting to be carved up had been devoured by the storm. Every saleable resource disappearing in the blink of an eye, such a loss could be rectified however as the city had no shortage of eager captains willing to sail the Aether streams and hunt down fresh prey. Over two dozen ships left port, the armada descending on the Leviathan migration with equal parts wrath and greed. Their haul was magnificent, the city was once more full and its spirits higher than ever before, all hands gathered to witness the great armada deliver their prizes to the loading docks ready to carve into these fresh treasures. One by one each ship severed their tow cables dropping the hulking corpses onto the docks below, the dull thud and wet splats of impact reverberating throughout the port, it was only as the last corpse descended upon the port that the foul stench of rot began to pierce even the strongest of filtration units. One by one the leviathan corposes bubbled and shifted, every movement pouring bile and puss from open sores onto the decks of the ships, and with a mighty groan their bloaded Aetherbladders erupted into a sea of nurglings giggling idiotically as they spread like locust across the city.

Since that day no word has come from the city of rust, it exists as a floating graveyard high above Ghyran, sombre and dead. Some shiphands speak of seeing ships of bulbous flesh and steel floating around the city, that the stacks from the Aetherfurnaces can still be seen venting on a still night. Some say that there were survivors, though what cursed wretches these might be has yet to be seen.

Archived