Future of the Free Peoples

arka0415

In the current lore, the old Empire is basically out of the picture. Free Peoples models still being produced, but but no Getting Started set or battletome. Keyword lumps them in with discontinued lines like Bretonnia, and as a faction they're split between Freeguild, Devoted of Sigmar, Collegiate Arcane, and Ironweld Arsenal... currently a "limbo" between compendium and modern faction.

Where do you think the Free Peoples are going? Are they one foot in the grave? Or on their way to a flashy new re-release?

I have great fears for the free people. I am afraid that Warhammer AOS doesn't have room for historically inspired factions like them, that they're too normal.

My hopes would be, that they get a total remaking, into a more gritty and dirty faction, that gw game makers would put some love behind. 

Seeing as the world has been wracked by years and years of chaos and war, and many cities have been either besieged for ages or totally run over and destroyed, I'd like to see a free guild faction that is less clean and chivalrous and more dirty and grimy a culture that has aged considerably into a husk of its former power maybe a faction comprised of the different old world humans but gone through the blender. Think the Walking Dead, Cormac Mccarthy's apocalyptic The Road, Terminator: Survivors with ripped clothes, dirty looks, scruffy beards, missing eyes and chipped blades. A more post apocalyptic look as well as some new skills. Maybe the wizards could be dented a bit by the years of chaos; their spells more offensive, but also with a whiff of chaos about them... have they been corrupted? Also, this could open up for the witch hunters, the inquisition. Maybe a band of wildlings come back from the far reaches in their mountain hide outs, or survivors that found old and forgotten dwarven ruins that they stayed in. Some maybe lived in the sewers of their former cities, and only just came back... I'd like to see what centuries of being hunted and hidden or besieged would do with a honorable and chivalrous faction.....

But as I said, I fear the faction has a foot in the bin.....

The Empire is dead. Bretonnia is dead. The Free People are thriving and have a place in AoS. Anyone who has read the City of Secrets will agree.

Unfortunately, the humans from the old world couldnt be trademarked, and had to suffer mass death. I wouldn't hold your breath for anything new for a while.

What I do think will happen is that the humans will evolve to their chosen Realms in the same way we have Dwarves from the Realmn of Metal. 

There is already evidence of this in one of the books set in Shysh, with  Vampire worshipping humans that see Vampires as their saviours while Sigmar abandoned them. 

I think the first new releases for human will come from thto Devotee of Sigmar faction. I'm actually surprised they didn't plug into the new Stormcast book as the fantastical warriors of Sigmar. The City of Secrets talks about the humans such as Witch Hunters being the first point of call for the humans before calling th SCE. 

That's my thoughts anyway...

So I'm of two minds about this.

Personally, I would love for the Free Peoples to see more love. I think they're only a hero or two and a battle tome away from being an interesting faction. In fact, it's a pet project of mine on the side to show just that.

I also think, that as much as GW want to shift away from generic fantasy stereotypes, they shouldn't. There are many different people out there, who enjoy different styles. I don't really like steampunk, so the Kharadron Overlords don't really do much for me. I prefer my stereotypical Dwarves that we've all loved since the Hobbit. That's IMO where some of the more 'normal' Old World races such as Free Peoples, Dispossessed, Wanderers, etc should fall.

They also give a sense of what's a bit normal in the world. Not everything Orruk has to be a hulking Ironjaw or a savage Bonesplitta (hence, Greenskinz), and not every Duardin has to have their hair on fire or a fascination of flying around in metal suits miles above the surface. The current Free Peoples, or rather, the Freeguild faction has been shown to be the city guard style Humans who have come from Azyr.

Humanity will evolve over time as the Mortal Realms are settled once again, but for now, you've got the city guardsmen who drill and train every day, and the good regiments get to march to war alongside the Stormcast.

So yeah, I do reckon they should have a place in the Mortal Realms, and deserve to have a place. And As I mentioned above, I think in reality they're just one or two heroes and a battletome away from being in that place.

But, they probably won't get that. And it comes down to GW not wanting to make anything that comes close to 'generic'. They want to forge new identities by taking a concept and dialing it up to 11. Slayers became Fyreslayers. Ironbreakers/Irondrakes became Kharadron Overlords. Orcs became Ironjawz. They take one or a few unique aspects from races, and emphasize it to the point where it makes them unique and identifiable. 

The Aelves honestly probably have a better chance of hitting it off, because each little sub-faction, no matter how ****** it is at the moment, has some form of unique identity. The martial scholars that use the elements of the Eldritch Council. The silent warriors who work with the Phoenixes. The Dragon Knights, the Drake-breed Knights, etc.

And personally, I'm ok with that philosophy, but I also think there's a place for the more 'stereotypical fantasy' races that already exist. And for the most part, those factions are already pretty complete, just missing that little something (and all the goodies that come with a battletome like battalions).

Free guild really fulfils the same role that Imperial Guard do in 40k. They show it's not just about Sigmar flinging down his super-powered Warriors to fight every battle, but there are regular humans, men and women without magical powers that are willing to put their lives on the line and fight for their freedom in the mortal realms.

Personally, as much as I enjoy the older armies. I've put my foot down and I'm not going to collect any more of them until GW shows that they're willing to invest into them. I've already got Slaves to Darkness and Free Peoples for Age of Sigmar (Ignoring older armies I have for pre-AoS which also are in a similar boat), I don't need another army that GW isn't going to show any love.

It's certainly a difficult question. On the one hand, free peoples do show up in the background quite a bit, and there are still plenty of kits from the old Empire range available - if they were going away I'd have expected them to be dropped when GW did their mass culling. As a faction they still have a decent choice of units and synergies, much more than the poor splintered aelf factions, for example. So they have that going for them...  

But on the other hand, GW's direction for AoS has emphasised Stormcast at the expense of Sigmar's mortal followers. Free peoples are yet to receive a Start Collecting box, or any other meaningful focus that suggests they'll be a mainstay moving fowards. As others have said, AoS models are very distinctive and extreme in style, and the more historical focus of the old Empire models doesn't fit like it used to. 

Personally - I think that GW will keep the free peoples around in some form. that they'd be mad not to! Shining super soldiers are all well and good, but normal humans are borderline essential for any setting of this sort IMO. They offer a unique and relatable perspective on the setting, and go a long way towards giving it strong character.

But does that mean the Empire kits will stick around, or will they be discontinued in favour of a new vision? Again... it's difficult to say. There are so many factions who need of attention much more than free people that I can't a revamp being justified. Even so, how long do we really expect anything with "Karl Franz" stamped all over it to stay? 

I think if there was to be a reboot of Freeguild in their current form, they would surely re-do all the boxes in the range to reflect a regular Astra Militarum style human force for AoS. Get rid of the late medievil atire and put them in more generic armour and cloth.

We really don't know what they are going to do, but like someone suggested above I really think they are going to take a unique idea from what they have and add to it. For me that Unique tangent I do think they will exploit are the Devoted of Sigmar faction. It would only take a rebox of current stuff and adding maybe a couple of elite troops like a Crusader/Paladin style thing, some cavalry? and maybe a new Hero model for it to be a suitable release.

We will wait and see in the mean time, but like all the elf wanters out there, we will probably have to wait a good while for it to happen.

I would guess that even if the models are old, the free peoples are still quite popular army. They show up constantly in AoS social media channels, there is a big thread about them on this forum and I guess Empire has always been a popular army in FB. Also it's quite important for the theme itself to have regular people there as well. So I wouldn't be too worried about them dissappearing. Though I wouldn't wait too much for new stuff for them either. Same applies for the dispossessed and elves of different varieties.

The freeguild as they are now, are already quite far from historical models with the gunpowder monkeys, gatling guns, over the top hats etc. so I don't see any need for further "warhammerizing" them either.

I think that we're going to see the 2 main human factions continue and be strongly supported. 

Devoted of Sigmar will be the dirty, grimy and perhaps even primative faction while Free Peoples will get a facelift and represent the new hopes of humanity.  None of the current Free Peoples kits will be replaced, we'll get new units  instead with a new style that looks a little out of place with the current Free Peoples.  Think Ironjawz and Ardboys.

I've had multiple GW stores near me state that any kits that survived the great purge will be sticking around for a while.  I'm inclined to believe them.

I can't imagine them going away, the griffon and demigryphs kits are great and I can't imagine them not re-releasing them. Now those to kits could be part of the foundation for their own gryph based army.

I think there is a strong appeal of the normal average people standing toe to toe with the likes of chaos and monsters, and I think they will morph freeguild into how mortals survive against these horrors, so I'm expect more magic and more tech. It wouldn't surprise me if they rolled, Dispossessed, Coligate Arcana, Ironweld, and Freeguild into one Free Cities faction. I get the idea of vast cities full of humans buying and selling exotic items, form the wilds, Dwarfs crafting rune marked wonders, wizards selling potions and magical items, And brave souls using all these tools to take on the Realms. Almost a monster huntery vibe

9 hours ago, SaJeel said:

I think there is a strong appeal of the normal average people standing toe to toe with the likes of chaos and monsters, and I think they will morph freeguild into how mortals survive against these horrors, so I'm expect more magic and more tech. It wouldn't surprise me if they rolled, Dispossessed, Coligate Arcana, Ironweld, and Freeguild into one Free Cities faction. I get the idea of vast cities full of humans buying and selling exotic items, form the wilds, Dwarfs crafting rune marked wonders, wizards selling potions and magical items, And brave souls using all these tools to take on the Realms. Almost a monster huntery vibe

This. Absolutely this. Lively cities, exotic wargear, monster hunters, and ordinary heroes standing up against the howling hordes of Chaos... man how cool would that be!!

10 hours ago, SaJeel said:

I can't imagine them going away, the griffon and demigryphs kits are great and I can't imagine them not re-releasing them. Now those to kits could be part of the foundation for their own gryph based army.

+1

I see the Free People's place in the AoS world aligning to the Imperial Guard in 40k.

Without the average human, the Space Marine becomes the baseline for average. To what SaJeel said, the battletome would likely be an all encompassing book for the many different factions. You could see an expansion into barbarian type humans from the Realm of Beasts or other hybrids.

I do like SaJeel's idea. The Aelves could even have their own book that discusses how and why the Aelves have split up and follow their own ideologies. Perhaps bringing back the Aelven pantheon of gods, and how each embraces some aspect of them. Dunno, could work.

The only sad thing I'd say is, I really do think Freeguild and Dispossessed (as well as Wanderers), have enough content to stand on their own as a force. The auxillary factions are just in these odd spots gamewise which makes you want to shove them in with some other faction.

Personally I might even prefer a GA: Order v2. Strip out all the Stormcast, Seraphon, Sylvaneth and Fyreslayers. Use those 80~ or so pages to add more content to the other sub-factions, call it Armies of Azyr or something. I would love it if in one big bang, GW invested like a month or two into supporting the older Order factions with model releases to add more into the existing armies, and then the 'Armies of Azyr' tome comes along at the end and adds in all the other content like Allegiance abilities, command traits, magic items, magic spells, battalions, etc.

Especially when you cut down the warscrolls to not show unit images (Can instead have a Gallery section), you have A LOT of extra pages to play with.

Note though, I think this only works for Order (and hence, why I don't think I'd call it a Grand Alliance book). It's easy to split off Order and say "These factions came from Azyr, and all the others factions (who conincidentally have their own battletomes) don't". It's much harder to come up with a logical split for the other Grand Alliances. Or perhaps they're already doing it, and this idea is just a 'super-mega-combined-battletome'.

Well it could work for death as well, they used to be a single army before after all...

The Armies of Azyr would be great. The mixed order forces are my favorites in this game, that's why I have my own as well :) It could be like the chaos books, with separate command traits and artefacts for the free peoples, aelves and duardin, and then common allegiance abilities and tables.

I doubt the free peoples will get the flick. If they were going to it most likely would have happened when Brets got culled. 

Free peoples seem to have lost their place in the world. In the old system they were the holy (or not so) warriors of sigmar. They have been surpassed by the new shiny storm cast. So what's a man to do if he is no longer the last line of defence holding back the tide of chaos? Guard the walls? Get drunk and be mediocre? 

As a playable faction they are fine, lots of options and all the tools in the order chest. Plenty of heroes available if you combine the collegiate and the arsenal.

What is really missing for me is a sense of purpose and place. But this is early days so it really is up to the player to fill that gap. My free peoples are an eclectic mix of humans, dwarfs and elf fighting together to reclaim an ancient homeland in some distant realm. No support from the storm casts, they're on their own... 

Where will GW take them? I doubt they will go anywhere. We'll see new human faction/s that are vastly different. I doubt they will ever reboot the old lines. I'm confident that we will see all new factions until the Old World is just a shadow in the new Mortal Realms... 

20 hours ago, Origin said:

I doubt the free peoples will get the flick. If they were going to it most likely would have happened when Brets got culled. 

Free peoples seem to have lost their place in the world. In the old system they were the holy (or not so) warriors of sigmar. They have been surpassed by the new shiny storm cast. So what's a man to do if he is no longer the last line of defence holding back the tide of chaos? Guard the walls? Get drunk and be mediocre? 

As a playable faction they are fine, lots of options and all the tools in the order chest. Plenty of heroes available if you combine the collegiate and the arsenal.

What is really missing for me is a sense of purpose and place. But this is early days so it really is up to the player to fill that gap. My free peoples are an eclectic mix of humans, dwarfs and elf fighting together to reclaim an ancient homeland in some distant realm. No support from the storm casts, they're on their own... 

Where will GW take them? I doubt they will go anywhere. We'll see new human faction/s that are vastly different. I doubt they will ever reboot the old lines. I'm confident that we will see all new factions until the Old World is just a shadow in the new Mortal Realms... 

While stormcasts seem to be everywhere it's really more like 40K.. a few stormcasts doing the pushes and lots of regular men doing the rest of the dirty work... black library should make some books about that to give a better perspective.

• 1 year later...

I had a couple of thoughts on what I'd hope to see for the Free Peoples, as well as many of the other splintered Order Factions. Mostly, I hope that these groups will get fleshed out little by little to the point that it is perfectly an option to field a well rounded force made up of just one faction, rather than relying solely on allied detachments. While I enjoy allied armies, I'd still like the option for individual solidarity amongst all the groups in the future.

Some unit ideas i had would be stuff like Ironweld Apprentices/Pioneers, who would be like a basic support infantry for the faction with some ranged capability and able to either assist artillery accuracy or build fortifications and obstacles. It can be fairly easy to picture them as the young assistants sent out to do the rough hard manual labor and holding off enemies that get to close, since their superiors are probably far too old and far too busy calibrating the big guns. They would be fairly easy to make as models, a small detachment of humans or maybe duradin with small firearms and backpacks with picks and shovels.

Odds are some creative gap can be filled with new units for the FreeGuild as well.  Perhaps more unconventional units can be added, like Grenadiers or maybe a Field Surgeon Hero complete with rusty knives and soiled leather apron. Something grounded and a bit grimy to emphasize how these are mostly ordinary people. Perhaps throw in some sort of re-envisioned successor to the Free Company Militia, but make them out as more robust and unconventional adventurers with a variety of skills and weapons to choose from. 

From multiple interviews with the devs people seemed to have gathered two things. One is that they want Freeguild with a realm focus so we can likely expect human groups from say life, fire, etc. Second is that they're still working on them as opposed to having things ready since 2016 which is when they announced the next 5 years of AoS was in production,  so we shouldn't expect new human models until 2020 at the very earliest barring maybe a warband.

Personally I theorize they'll go with soldiers from Heaven and Fire realms for generals, wizards and mainline soldiers (likely a mix of Empire-like royalty/puffiness and baroque plate armor with due to the cities ), Life realm for all the knightly orders will give the heavy and light cavalry with exotic beasts with perhaps Greywater specialized gunpowder troops while the other realms will probably give auxiliary troops of tribesmen and kingdom soldiers/levies and militias far removed from the main Order cities.

Edit: so I envision armies of generals and commanders flying on Griffons  while forces of heavy armored infantry assemble in plate mail showing various signs of fire and lightning imagery and form up to receive the enemy with blessed steel while armored knights with flowing greenery attire charge the enemy's weakpoints while upon ferocious beasts tamed from the depths of the eldritch wilds as overhead spells from wizards and support fire weaken the enemy lines allowing the army to march with lighter auxiliaries hailing from distant lands where monsters and ghosts run rampant to support them.

Last note is thst a CogFort or a smaller version would make for an epic centerpiece.

Well if anything, they will lean harder in their more unique takes on the different fantasy races/species.  So an elite unit of Warrior Priests, fighting to catch Sigmar's eye, & thus gain immortality as Stormcast.  Inquisitives, working under Witch Hunters to root out cults in various cities out there in the wilds.

Otherwise . . . why not some post-apocalyptic magitech-scavenging resistance fighters?  Motley cells of Humans, Dwarfs, Aelves, & so on, working together to eke some justice in the realms.  They could stage raids on Chaos' slave caravans & pits, recruiting among those they free to fight back.  Picture them peaking out under shabby hoods with scraggly beards, hints of looted & re-purposed armor, with some realm-specific camo bits to break up their outlines.  When the Stormcast ride down from the heavens, these partisans sneak out from their hidden bases to guide them, fighting alongside the  Vanguard Hunters to wreak havoc on the enemy.  When the militias and regiments of the Free Holds march out beyond the safety their walls, whom else to screen their formations, & ambush enemy patrols??  Dwarf Pioneers, Aelf Snipers, exiled/gone to ground Kharadaron gunners & arkanauts, Human/mixed battleline scouts/ambushers/smugglers, then for the more elite; freed gladiators,  lone survivors, & rebels pulling from a wider variety of races (Fyreslayers, Seraphon, Daughters of Khaine, Deepkin, Sylvaneth, Orruk outcasts, well-fed Ogor Gutbusters/Maneaters/Mercs) as muscle, or even the more extraordinary of them as Leaders, or hell, how about a rebellious Vampire hiding out from Nagash, that no one trusts, but whom else can turn into a bat, & do that kind of magic??!   

Almost a new Dogs of War-style faction, pulling bits & inspiration from all over the line, with an emphasis on camouflage & alternate deployments (think Alpha Legion, Raven Guard, Genestealer Cults from 40K). 

The modeling potential is thru the roof, the post-apocalypse vibe of impressively diverse gangs of resistance fighters & scavengers could really tap into a hybrid market popularized by IP's such as The Walking Dead, Zombicide, Dungeons and Dragons, Gamma World, Game of Thrones, Y: The Last Man/on Earth, Supernatural, SW: Rogue One, & sooo many other things.

Also, some of the best Stormcast art contrasts them to scruffy normal humans like Human Flagellants, the contrast really helps both sides stand out in their own ways. 

Now imagine a mishmash of Humans, Dwarfs, and Aelves of the various bents plus a smattering here and there of the more exotic ones, all wearing hoods and scavenged bits of armor, with all kinds of bows, guns, axes, swords, potions, shields, & camo, conceptually being the Dutch/French resistance fighters to the American paratroopers liberating Europe from among the worst of humanity.

Oh man, I wish I was among the new creatives they hired for model concept art a while back . . .

Haha, sounds more like you're a fan of the calls for a fifth grand alliance. Order, Chaos, Destruction, Death and COIN. :D

Would be nice to follow up on the fluff on things like Fyreslayer/Ogor mercenaries to anyone and all the stories of undead and vampires working alongside mortals. Just like the great creativity of the old days before the grand alliances were introduced and all army mixes were good to go. :)

9 hours ago, Dotification said:

Well if anything, they will lean harder in their more unique takes on the different fantasy races/species.  So an elite unit of Warrior Priests, fighting to catch Sigmar's eye, & thus gain immortality as Stormcast.  Inquisitives, working under Witch Hunters to root out cults in various cities out there in the wilds.

Otherwise . . . why not some post-apocalyptic magitech-scavenging resistance fighters?  Motley cells of Humans, Dwarfs, Aelves, & so on, working together to eke some justice in the realms.  They could stage raids on Chaos' slave caravans & pits, recruiting among those they free to fight back.  Picture them peaking out under shabby hoods with scraggly beards, hints of looted & re-purposed armor, with some realm-specific camo bits to break up their outlines.  When the Stormcast ride down from the heavens, these partisans sneak out from their hidden bases to guide them, fighting alongside the  Vanguard Hunters to wreak havoc on the enemy.  When the militias and regiments of the Free Holds march out beyond the safety their walls, whom else to screen their formations, & ambush enemy patrols??  Dwarf Pioneers, Aelf Snipers, exiled/gone to ground Kharadaron gunners & arkanauts, Human/mixed battleline scouts/ambushers/smugglers, then for the more elite; freed gladiators,  lone survivors, & rebels pulling from a wider variety of races (Fyreslayers, Seraphon, Daughters of Khaine, Deepkin, Sylvaneth, Orruk outcasts, well-fed Ogor Gutbusters/Maneaters/Mercs) as muscle, or even the more extraordinary of them as Leaders, or hell, how about a rebellious Vampire hiding out from Nagash, that no one trusts, but whom else can turn into a bat, & do that kind of magic??!   

Almost a new Dogs of War-style faction, pulling bits & inspiration from all over the line, with an emphasis on camouflage & alternate deployments (think Alpha Legion, Raven Guard, Genestealer Cults from 40K). 

The modeling potential is thru the roof, the post-apocalypse vibe of impressively diverse gangs of resistance fighters & scavengers could really tap into a hybrid market popularized by IP's such as The Walking Dead, Zombicide, Dungeons and Dragons, Gamma World, Game of Thrones, Y: The Last Man/on Earth, Supernatural, SW: Rogue One, & sooo many other things.

Also, some of the best Stormcast art contrasts them to scruffy normal humans like Human Flagellants, the contrast really helps both sides stand out in their own ways. 

Now imagine a mishmash of Humans, Dwarfs, and Aelves of the various bents plus a smattering here and there of the more exotic ones, all wearing hoods and scavenged bits of armor, with all kinds of bows, guns, axes, swords, potions, shields, & camo, conceptually being the Dutch/French resistance fighters to the American paratroopers liberating Europe from among the worst of humanity.

Oh man, I wish I was among the new creatives they hired for model concept art a while back . . .

You're mostly just describing allied armies where you take units from different factions. 

Also, the Free Guild in its current state is still very much  an organized military force with uniforms and formality etc. They're not quite a ragtag Dogs of War type of faction. 

As well, much of what you describe with the other races banding together in their groups is already partially covered with all the splinter factions, such as the Lion Rangers, Wanderers, Shadowblades, Dispossessed, Scourge Privateers etc. All they need is some fleshing out in the future so that they can each stand on their own.

Not to mention: Sin added for referencing Walking Dead. They're pumping that franchise till the wheels fall off.

In the lore, especially in the era of Malign Portents/Soul Wars, they seem to be leaning really hard into Free Peoples culturally as being very similar to Old World Empire folks.  With the fun twist lately that all that tension and... nervous waiting is aimed at Death instead of Chaos.  So it's familiar, but different.

Which is great - it's a feeling that old-timers can remember, and it fits what many of us think Warhammer should feel like.

With magic being more pervasive that means new models could have a look that both hearkens to and is still separate from the Empire models of old.

By that I mean even bigger feathers. The biggest.  Bigger than a man.  Massive magical moustaches.  Even more prominent codpieces.  Perhaps some unholy combination of the three.  The sky is the limit.

Edit: The name Karl Franz is still inexplicably engraved everywhere.  No one in the Guilds have any idea who that is.

10 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

With magic being more pervasive that means new models could have a look that both hearkens to and is still separate from the Empire models of old.

By that I mean even bigger feathers. The biggest.  Bigger than a man.  Massive magical moustaches.  Even more prominent codpieces.  Perhaps some unholy combination of the three.  The sky is the limit.

Edit: The name Karl Franz is still inexplicably engraved everywhere.  No one in the Guilds have any idea who that is.

Feathered

Codpieces

Archived