3 stonefrosts 2k pure beastclaw

Nogle

I wanted to try a pure beastclaw list with 3 frostlords on stonehorn. Here's what I came up with. I was 40 points away from being able to fit in two minimum skalls which could have given each stonehorn a pelt. I should get to choose first turn and the skall can pop out and get objectives late in the game

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar 
Icebrow Hunter (160)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 

Battleline
6 x Frost Sabres (180)
- Beastclaw Raiders Battleline (Icetooth Hunter General)
4 x Frost Sabres (120)
2 x Frost Sabres (60)

Battalions
Skal (60)

Total: 1960/2000

I originally had it that way and then thought that one unit of six would be good for the mission with two objectives. Since you need 6 models to take an objective, the unit of 6 would be perfect to drop on one of the objectives

I'm thinking of dropping the frost sabres down to units of two and replacing the frostlord with no artifact with two huskards on thundertusks.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders

Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Icebrow Hunter (160)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (60)
2 x Frost Sabres (60)
2 x Frost Sabres (60)

Battalions
Skal (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Some cool lists here. I looked at similar myself.

The main issue for me is protecting the beasts from being hit when you dont want them to be (first turn or being dropped on). So that unit of 6 tusks would atleast be able to be used as a screen for that. Yes they can be shot first and most likely will, but you can at least keep units further away from the monsters when charge phase happens. Something to think about.

Have you played a game yet?

Unfortunately no games with this load out. I was running three huskards on thundertusks with double skall so all three had pelts. I'm a stay at home dad of two little boys with a wife that works a lot, so tournaments are my only games I get in. I get out of the house for the day, try out a list for three games, eat food probably not good for me (that I didn't need to cook), and maybe win prizes.

I ran a similar list when GHB first came out:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Battle Brew

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)
- Beastclaw Raiders Battleline

Initially had great success with it - Came 2nd at Alliance (tabled all three opponents). Then had a terrible time at Facehammer (only won 1 out of 5 games) so stopped running it, and took a Rukk instead (Tee Hee). 
Although the tricksiness of the Skal is very tempting, your list (in my experience) will struggle on 2 counts. Firstly, shooting. In a shooting meta, you have no response - you cannot outshoot your opponent, and if they put a thin screen of chaff in front of their shooters (which any half decent player will), then you cannot get into them before getting shot off. Secondly, resilient bodies. To hold objectives you need 5+ models which can stand there and take a bit of a battering. In my list the Savage Orruks are great at this, Sabretusks just don't do it for the points.

Having said that, your list will be a lot of fun to play. Everyone loves it when an army has a 'Trick'. The list is straightforward to play (not lots of complex synergies) and you should have no problems time-wise getting to the end of games. If you are happy to play for 'fun' or happy to play mid tables (which let's face it, most people are) then it will be a fun list to play. I may even copy it to take to a 1 dayer.

22 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

I ran a similar list when GHB first came out:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Battle Brew

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)
- Beastclaw Raiders Battleline

Initially had great success with it - Came 2nd at Alliance (tabled all three opponents). Then had a terrible time at Facehammer (only won 1 out of 5 games) so stopped running it, and took a Rukk instead (Tee Hee). 
Although the tricksiness of the Skal is very tempting, your list (in my experience) will struggle on 2 counts. Firstly, shooting. In a shooting meta, you have no response - you cannot outshoot your opponent, and if they put a thin screen of chaff in front of their shooters (which any half decent player will), then you cannot get into them before getting shot off. Secondly, resilient bodies. To hold objectives you need 5+ models which can stand there and take a bit of a battering. In my list the Savage Orruks are great at this, Sabretusks just don't do it for the points.

Having said that, your list will be a lot of fun to play. Everyone loves it when an army has a 'Trick'. The list is straightforward to play (not lots of complex synergies) and you should have no problems time-wise getting to the end of games. If you are happy to play for 'fun' or happy to play mid tables (which let's face it, most people are) then it will be a fun list to play. I may even copy it to take to a 1 dayer.

This list is cool, and as you say is fun to play and does compete. Its just tough with the current meta.

Still, is has lots of cool stuff options with speed, long charge options, high damage output and last a while. All great things for the game and makes for some fast/fun playing. The Orruks are small in number but gives you some wounds. Hug terrain and force your opponent to concerntrate on the monsters :)

On 5/8/2017 at 2:09 PM, Nogle said:

Unfortunately no games with this load out. I was running three huskards on thundertusks with double skall so all three had pelts. I'm a stay at home dad of two little boys with a wife that works a lot, so tournaments are my only games I get in. I get out of the house for the day, try out a list for three games, eat food probably not good for me (that I didn't need to cook), and maybe win prizes.

Its annoying when real life stops us kids from doing what we want :)

Its cool your able to get to some events though and it nice to play a number of games in one day/weekend, so hope you manage to get this on the table soon man.

Archived