Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Johann said:

Hellstriders: Claw spears or Hellscourges?

How do you equip your models?

I'm going spears because the scourges will break in transport ;).

Rules-wise it's going to depend on a lot of factors, not least of them being what bases are you mounting them on (assuming base-to-base measurements). I'm inclined to say the scourges might be slightly better, on the basis that you're mostly taking the unit for its Enrapturing Banner debuff, so you want them behind your other guys, reaching over, out of range of the enemy as far as possible.

If you're planning to run a big unit, trying to max out on your Soul Hunters ability, I'd say the scourges are again more useful just for getting more models in striking range.

There's really not much in it either way, though.

This is my slaanesh build..,chariots are so good. Worried about going 2nd vs nasty alpha strikes but that's always going to be a problem right?

Seekers 

exalted daemon of slaanesh, devotee of torment, +1 hit artifact once per game

masque of slaanesh

chaos scorceror of slaanesh 

herald on exalted chariot

5 hellstriders

10 marauders of slaanesh

10 marauders of slaanesh

Exalted chariot of slaanesh

exalted chariot of slaanesh

Pure speed, lots of mortals, use the double pile in on the exalted who is quite brutal. Screen with marauders obviously!

On 9/15/2017 at 7:43 AM, James Ramsay said:

This is my slaanesh build..,chariots are so good. Worried about going 2nd vs nasty alpha strikes but that's always going to be a problem right?

Seekers 

exalted daemon of slaanesh, devotee of torment, +1 hit artifact once per game

masque of slaanesh

chaos scorceror of slaanesh 

5 hellstriders

10 marauders of slaanesh

10 marauders of slaanesh

Exalted chariot of slaanesh

Pure speed, lots of mortals, use the double pile in on the exalted who is quite brutal. Screen with marauders obviously!

You, my friend, are a glutton for punishment, assembling and painting 7....7! of those b@$t@rd$. Hat's off to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Allegiance: Slaanesh
Host - Invaders - all three can use command abilities if not within 12"

Keeper of Secrets 280-Devotee of Torment
Lord of Slaanesh on a Daemonic Mount  140 - Lash of Despair

Battleline
30 Daemonettes 270
10 Hellstriders (claws) 200

Other units 
10 Chaos Knights 360 

1210/1250 

Hows' a list like this look? Basic idea is the lord sticks with the knights for the double pile in, keeper puts it on the hellstriders, so they can charge up and then he moves to the daemonettes for the locus to contest any objectives + mystic shield 

I think that is a solid base for a list, your basic tactics are sound and the double use of the pile in will be deadly! However 1250 points is an odd amount and you aren't taking full advantage of the Invaders Host by only having 2 x heroes/generals.

Why not flesh it out to  at least 1500 points with say a Herald of Slaanesh and some more daemonettes , seekers or some chariots??? Granted the Herald doesnt have their own command ability but they could hang back  on an objective and so as not to be within 12" of the other generals and throw some Inspiring Presence around. Chaos Knights are bravery 8 with the banner and Hellstriders are only bravery 7 so both of those could use some inspiration before charging off on their own.

I'm actually fluctuating the list between that one and dropping the hellstriders to 5 and adding a herald for inspiring presence on my daemonettes. The 1250 is the high end of 1000 pts in the azyr app which my group normally uses. I didn't think of chaos knights as taking too much damage and hellstriders are more likely to charge and either crush something or die trying in this list so I didn't consider them - with only 10 models if I lose enough to take battleshock they're pretty much toast anyways right?

I'm going with 3 large blocks of daemonettes..... 30 each. I'm using witch elves and sisters of slaughter mixed in with them as I haven't enough actual Daemonettes at this time!:P

I simply explain that in the old world of fantasy battle, there were cults in the Dark elf realm that secretly worshipped Slaanesh. These are  the remaining zealots who still seek their true patron. Works for me, anyway.:D

I also brin a unit of 10 Hellstriders, and either another unit of 5 or a unit of seekers. 

Lord on boobsnake, Kipper and at least one herald. If there's room after all that, a sorclord on mount.

The list is speedy and brutal.

All I need to do now is finish the exalted chariots I've been putting off working on....ugh.>:(

Point taken on the Hellstriders however if you can avoid losing the rest of the unit to battleshock to keep them around another turn, why not? If the unit has been decimated you can always retreat and go camp on an objective.

Chaos Knights somehow only have a 4+ save so they are not that hard to kill. And it really hurts when you lose one or two to battleshock, especially in a low points game.

If 1250 is your usual game limit then I would  def go with your ideal to drop 5 x hellstriders for a Herald.

I was playing a game of DoT v Slaanesh, using the GH2017 rules. The double general thing is nasty, double double pile ins! The whole army is so fast and almost everything has rend, and the hellstriders are annoying as hell with their -1 to hit. If you back them up with mystic shield they are not terrible on defense either. My Tzeentch force was massacred and I barely got to move. Slaanesh is great on taking objectives, which is the most important thing in most games. I think that Slaanesh is actually very competitive right now.

IMG_6193.JPG.f36aa05c5fab1eeb07adb99ebfbe1ea5.JPG

Most likley by next spring Nurgle Rotbringers will have their own book, and the third year of chaos will have ended, starting the year of Slaanesh. Slaanesh is likely to have some major things going on, I predict Dark Elf cults of Slaanesh.

I have some Slaanesh but I haven't totally gotten into the army yet. Here is my paint prototype:

IMG_5056.JPG.9657b5ff295b07fd4584e35075cfc477.JPG

Certainly go for it! From a non-Slaanesh player's perspective I think you can have a great ammount of fun playing Slaanesh. As with most of the smaller Factions though you are somewhat limited in what to thake which in turn limits the tactical spectrum of the army in itself. However, speed is a great thing in AoS and because of that I indeed think you can have a lot of fun with it and book good results with smaller events. The speed is there, the Rend is there, there is a good selection of Command Traits and I think with either Enrapturing Circlet or Icon you can certainly leave an impression where it matters. Lastly Pleasurebound Warband also remains a good option. So if your a great player I think all the good stuff will lead you somewhere ;) 

On 2017-10-09 at 11:56 AM, SugarMaple82 said:

How does Devotee of Torment stack with the Daemon Prince rule of being able to cut in before they attack, can you pile in from 6" before they attack for an ambush?

I assume it doesn't stack. It says 3" in the warscroll.

On 2017-10-10 at 1:45 PM, Nico said:

It should go up to 6" - it's still a pile in.

The better move is to run a hero to 5.5" away, then you can activate all your other units first, then finally you do this hero.

I wish it worked, the daemon prince is my next purchase. 

After playing a few games with Slaanesh, I have found that speed over attack is better. I had an opponent's objective surrounded on the first turn and 2 units held in combat with my knights,  had my own objective covered and won a major victory. I like that no one knowns how to deal with Slaanesh, because no one else plays it around here. First guys painted.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

On 10/13/2017 at 1:44 PM, Edgecoc said:

After playing a few games with Slaanesh, I have found that speed over attack is better. I had an opponent's objective surrounded on the first turn and 2 units held in combat with my knights,  had my own objective covered and won a major victory

Mmm that's a good point.  More subtle win.  Eye on the prize.  Thanks for explaining that.

I'm a fan of 6 Fiends with 5 Helstriders behind them and the + move Host ability in general.

If i had the money, time, effort I would run more chariots.  I have 6 Beastmen chariots I may proxy as BL Seeker Chariots along with Hellstriders. 

With Slaanesh, the only real advantage is the speed. So you gotta use it, no one expects knights to be across the board in one movement phase. Especially playing Seekers of Slaanesh with the extra 4" if you charge. The Lord of Chaos' ability is best used with knights I find.

Archived