Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Bryan C said:

Slaanesh - top tier army - calling it now - and no i won't share why it what's in my list just yet ;)

I'm hoping you're right.

I was reading the Slaanesh stuff last night.  I think there is a lot more there than people are going to grasp onto at first.  Sure some stuff will prove duds but I think more subtle ways of playing will arise over time.  I'm feeling pretty good about Slaanesh more than any of my other armies.

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

I'm hoping you're right.

I was reading the Slaanesh stuff last night.  I think there is a lot more there than people are going to grasp onto at first.  Sure some stuff will prove duds but I think more subtle ways of playing will arise over time.  I'm feeling pretty good about Slaanesh more than any of my other armies.

Yeah the three generals with command abilities will have some unforeseen combinations and effects. 

Especially looking at some fluffier scenarios that require some action of the general or priest for example 

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

I'm hoping you're right.

I was having a big think about this last night. 

The go to option will be the triple command abilities paired with meaty daemon or slaanesh mortal units for the double pile in. Little mortal wound output but the double pile in means charging in two different places forces a hard decision out of your opponent. 

The other is take advantage of the speed ability. You could take hell striders or seeker chariots as battleline and then go all mounted and rely on speed to pick your battles. Exalted chariot spam would be needed here though as you won't be able to chew through hordes otherwise. 

You could do a mixture between the two as well.

The point is it opens up a lot of possibilities. Triple units of 30 daemonettes. Seekers flying around, chariot spam,  chaos knights piling in twice. 

Basically looks like a good time to be a slaanesh player. Certainly gives me a headache to decide which way to go. 

I am kinda leaning towards the speed one at first cause it will unsettle people and they'll all expect the double attack more.

I had great success with the chariot formation in 40k in 7th with chariots moving 40" and Hellstriders and a Daemonic Lord moving 18" then getting a charge (or just being up there after a run even) can really freak people out.

It makes the Keeper 16"s initially, the Masque becomes 12"s and with a run she may get into good spot to start using her ability.  Yeah 12" and a run, maybe 16" away, and then 12" for halving movement.  It may not be valid but it can mess up people's game plans and I feel we'll see a small return of older armies with Wanderers, Brayherds, etc getting some love.

Board controlling chariots could be a thing.  

I also though of triple girls but I have the old models so only 60 infantry :/

I also get to bust out my old 8th ed Exalted chariot BSB too :D

7 hours ago, Johann said:

Besides all the cool stuff (really like the new possibilities):

Did we loose our only Battalion?

Or where do i have to look?

Good question. But I personally feel GW is stepping away from easy acces battalions. Points increases across the board for them. 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Good question. But I personally feel GW is stepping away from easy acces battalions. Points increases across the board for them. 

Stepping away from easy access to no access is a difference. A shame we will never see two artefacts in one army...

small bummer, to be honest, it is really important to decide who will start the battle for Slaanesh, now with no battalion it will happen less. 

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Stepping away from easy access to no access is a difference. A shame we will never see two artefacts in one army...

small bummer, to be honest, it is really important to decide who will start the battle for Slaanesh, now with no battalion it will happen less. 

That's true. But still I don't really mind. I like the fact the battalions became more expensive to the point I don't expect them in 1000-1500pt armies (our prefered army size). You'er right though, options are always nice to have. 

Guys one question about allegiance ability..the ability that make us use 3 command ability for our generals .. If works if i play 2 generals .. For ex it works if i play keeper and lord in demo mount? Or i have to play 3 generals?:) thx guys tomorrow i gomma test list and i wanna be sure if my build Is correct:)

22 hours ago, Johann said:

Besides all the cool stuff (really like the new possibilities):

Did we loose our only Battalion?

Or where do i have to look?

I was wondering this the cohort daemon of slaanesh battalion was what I was building my list round. Even at 80 points (assuming it increased) worth it for the drop ability and +1 movement. 

Therefore has it been removed completely? Is it even valid now? Anyone with the answer?? 

Yes, that batallions is GHB 1 only and I'm pretty sure GW wants to move away from it for matched play. I wrote a
Seekers list to 2k last night but it has no ability to take stuff out, just tie it up. What appealed to me was the insane speed. I guess it mostly lends itself to Seekers replacing Daemonettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, first Game tomorrow:

1.000 Points pure Daemon.

i will take the speed route with Seekers.

KoS (Allure of Slaanesh / Breathtaker) 

Herold on exalted Chariot

Herold (foot)

30 daemonettes

10 daemonettes

5 seekers 

990 points.

i thought about skipping the exalted Chariot+Herold (instead +5Seekers/10 daemonettes), but i just finished the model ? 

image.jpg

20 minutes ago, Johann said:

thought about skipping the exalted Chariot+Herold (instead +5Seekers/10 daemonettes), but i just finished the model ?

The most valid reason to include any model. And looking really good. Like the blue

On 8/27/2017 at 3:48 PM, Arkiham said:

if you have units which can use them, yes 

so slaanesh marked so an so

I thought this too but it turns out it's not the case. The generals handbook says that all units in a battalion are considered to have the allegiance of that shown above the name of the battalion regardless of their actual allegiance. It goes on to give the example of a Sylvaneth battalion including Stormcast units that counts their allegiance as Sylvaneth (but they still can't be targets for Sylvaneth abilities as they don't have that keyword). In this case choosing an Everchosen battalion would make the allegiance of those units Everchosen despite them having the Slaanesh keyword. You could still choose Chaos as an allegiance but you couldn't choose Slaanesh.

43 minutes ago, firebat said:

I thought this too but it turns out it's not the case. The generals handbook says that all units in a battalion are considered to have the allegiance of that shown above the name of the battalion regardless of their actual allegiance. It goes on to give the example of a Sylvaneth battalion including Stormcast units that counts their allegiance as Sylvaneth (but they still can't be targets for Sylvaneth abilities as they don't have that keyword). In this case choosing an Everchosen battalion would make the allegiance of those units Everchosen despite them having the Slaanesh keyword. You could still choose Chaos as an allegiance but you couldn't choose Slaanesh.

that is different,
as the stormcast and sylvaneth contain different keywords.

if you run entirely slaanesh regardless of what it is you can use the slaanesh allegiance.

the everchosen battalions allow you to use any mortals with can have or have the slaanesh keyword. you can run that list as 

chaos, slaanesh, everchosen, if everything you pick is  from slaves to darkness that also, 

pg 116. "An army can have a specific allegiance if all the starting units and warscroll battalions in the army have the keyword for that allegiance"

Now at this point you could make the argument that a battalion with the Everchosen keyword could be taken from the allies pool of points I guess, although the allies section specifically mentions allied units which would lead me to believe that you can't take allied battalions, but:

pg 117. "When picking your army's allegiance, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance noted above the title on the warscroll."

This says that when it comes to picking the allegiance from those you're allowed from the keywords on the warscrolls that those units under the banner of that battalion all have that specific allegiance. It's not added as a keyword to their warscrolls that you can then pick from. It also says:

"When your army qualifies for more than one allegiance you must choose which allegiance your army will use before you set up any units"

But the above warscroll battalion rules doesn't say they qualify for that allegiance it says they have it.

The example given leaves out the possibility of the Stormcast still counting as stormcast in a larger force and the rest of the battalion of Sylvaneth and the battalion warscroll itself being allies.

It's a fairly niche issue to chaos really since most battalions are pretty specific and for that reason it's probably something that has just been overlooked and you might be right with the intent but I don't believe it's how the rules currently stand (GW's half examples strike again)

Chaos Warriors are regularly equipped with shields for the mortal wound save. However, I have sourced 15 sisters of silence to make them into Warriors and they are equipped with greatswords. Has anyone experience with them? I was planning to have the Slaanesh Lord on Foot to give them the same extra Attack rule as daemonettes.

5 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

Chaos Warriors are regularly equipped with shields for the mortal wound save. However, I have sourced 15 sisters of silence to make them into Warriors and they are equipped with greatswords. Has anyone experience with them? I was planning to have the Slaanesh Lord on Foot to give them the same extra Attack rule as daemonettes.

Haven't played them like that. Most likely going to use Sisters of Silence conversions as Chosen though. They rock. 

I do use my warriors as equipped with halberds (My converted models have spears). The extra reach helps, especially now that I'm planning to run them as to units of 15 instead of 10. 

2 hours ago, firebat said:

pg 116. "An army can have a specific allegiance if all the starting units and warscroll battalions in the army have the keyword for that allegiance"

Now at this point you could make the argument that a battalion with the Everchosen keyword could be taken from the allies pool of points I guess, although the allies section specifically mentions allied units which would lead me to believe that you can't take allied battalions, but:

pg 117. "When picking your army's allegiance, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance noted above the title on the warscroll."

This says that when it comes to picking the allegiance from those you're allowed from the keywords on the warscrolls that those units under the banner of that battalion all have that specific allegiance. It's not added as a keyword to their warscrolls that you can then pick from. It also says:

"When your army qualifies for more than one allegiance you must choose which allegiance your army will use before you set up any units"

But the above warscroll battalion rules doesn't say they qualify for that allegiance it says they have it.

The example given leaves out the possibility of the Stormcast still counting as stormcast in a larger force and the rest of the battalion of Sylvaneth and the battalion warscroll itself being allies.

It's a fairly niche issue to chaos really since most battalions are pretty specific and for that reason it's probably something that has just been overlooked and you might be right with the intent but I don't believe it's how the rules currently stand (GW's half examples strike again)

rule.jpg.03bfacaa19328980f634ac39e5f6886c.jpg

a picture is better than a thousand words

Archived