Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

23 hours ago, Easytyger said:

If one was going to build a 2000 Slaanesh list with demons and mortals what from Slave to Darkness/Everchosen would be good? I like the Slaanesh demons but not sure what mortals would help with.

All the slaanesh daemons are fast but fairly fragile. As a lot of scenarios require you claiming an objective... I like to add warriors and/or knight for something more defensive to win on objectives. They combine very well with the lord of slaanesh on daemonic mount. Double pile ins for the win!!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/3/2017 at 9:54 PM, Easytyger said:

If one was going to build a 2000 Slaanesh list with demons and mortals what from Slave to Darkness/Everchosen would be good? I like the Slaanesh demons but not sure what mortals would help with.

There arent really any great synergies between StD and demon units, but adding some chaos warriors or chaos knights would be useful in providing some durability and mortal wound protection (through their shields) to your army. Otherwise the slaanesh daemons can be a bit squishy.

I run a predominantly StD army (warriors, knights, manticore and 2 x sorcerer lords) with summonable daemonettes to add some much needed rend. Long term plan is to add a keeper but holding out for a new, better model!

@LordVitarion

I see. Is that a 2000 point force you run? Do you think that Slaanesh demons are too squishy to run as battleline? I want to run a mixed force just because I like the look of it and I just like Slaanesh demons but maybe better to run StD primarily then?

And in matched play what is the advantage of summoning demons vs starting with them on the table?

@Easytyger

I have them as a summon pool because otherwise i would fall foul of battleline restrictions. In a pure StD army chaos knights count as battleline, whereas in a mixed chaos they don't! so having a summoning pool allows me to keep to the StD faction requirements.

daemonettes are a good battleline option, but a 5+ save and 1 wound does leave them open to gun lines or mass mortal wound output armies. hence why i like some more robust units alongside.

On 8-6-2017 at 9:21 PM, Easytyger said:

And in matched play what is the advantage of summoning demons vs starting with them on the table?

And you have of course the choice of models. For example 300 points you gives you good options to choose from:

up to 30 daemonettes, a soul grinder, 2 seekers and a fiend etc.

so it gives you some flexibility as well. I personally don't really like the risk involved of loosing my only wizard and never needed the knights for battle line. (Full disclosure I'm fairly casual so your results may differ from mine ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

How viable is it to take a bunch of seekers and just ramming them down people's throats while using high toughness units (say plaguebearers) to achieve objectives? Basically force your opponent to fight you in their deployment zone so you get ahead in scenario.

On 08/06/2017 at 2:21 PM, Easytyger said:

You can also get into charge range faster, since currently at least only the first model has to be within 12" of the caster. You can pretty much stick them 9" away and attempt a charge that turn (it's only a 5 in 18 chance of success, but that's not bad).

It's not such an issue with Slaanesh, though, given how fast Daemonettes are anyway. Pretty much you're better off running 20+ for the size bonuses, or units of 10 to fill battleline/battalion requirements, in which case you're not summoning them.

14 hours ago, Mechadinosaur said:

How viable is it to take a bunch of seekers and just ramming them down people's throats while using high toughness units (say plaguebearers) to achieve objectives? Basically force your opponent to fight you in their deployment zone so you get ahead in scenario.

Hmm I could see them holding up a unit for a turn. But they do crumble so not much more. On the other hand... a small delay could be immensely viable. If you ever try it out let us know ?

They're cheap enough that you can throw a couple of units forward ten strong each. 3 units of 10 would do quite a bit of damage considering how many attacks they output and then by the time your opponent has cleared out his deployment he now have to deal with the anvil units that are already up on scenario.

Used lord of slaanesh on foot the other week. Used him to buff a unit of chosen with lord of war and his command ability. They slaughtered everything, especially when working with my warriors with great weapons. Generating extra hits on a 5+, sometimes 4 was so good. 

Using it on the knights with glaives to actually cause damage on the charge was also good. Then using the lord to buff the chosen or warriors in the following charge was also great. I normally use the slaanesh lord on steed but couldnt fit him in but the slaanesh lord on foot was surprisingly good. I even buffed him with his own abilities and meat blendered an enemy general. 

On 7/15/2017 at 2:50 AM, Arkiham said:

Also I feel this confirms slaaneshes eventual return and throws down any talk of games workshop discontinuing slaanesh as it's "inappropriate "

The thing I have learned about Slaanesh rumours is they are usually debunked with time.

Remember when GW had to "stop selling the 6th ed metal daemonettes cause of copyright infringement?"  but,.. then they resold them in December?  

Every rumour about "inappropriate" or whatever has been dispelled by seeing Slaanesh monthly in a BL story in some manner.  Even Guy Haley said "I keep putting slaanesh in stories to prove he is not going away."  I think even one blog everyone kept quoting from a couple years ago was "Slaanesh is just 80s sex drugs and rock and roll and has to die".  It wasn't even a fact, just an opinion of some a-hole who did understand.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:06 AM, Trav said:

Used lord of slaanesh on foot the other week. Used him to buff a unit of chosen with lord of war and his command ability. They slaughtered everything, especially when working with my warriors with great weapons. Generating extra hits on a 5+, sometimes 4 was so good. 

I was thinking of trying out that formation uh...Lacillion's Horde?  The Daemonic Mount making the Chosen attack twice, then take daemonettes for objective camping and the chariots for another punchy unit.  At 1000 points it works if you and your opponent can (easily) come to an agreement on the value of the formation.

I wanted to add I saw a couple lists on twitter from the UK tournament gamers (they are probably both here) with their lists.  One capped out the girls at 10, and spammed Exalted on chariots.  Another had quite a few Helflayers.  

I've been running my Dryads in 10 with Winterleaf and I think with spamming 10-man groups and using the uh,. Great Destroyer? ability that on a 5+ you get +1 to hit, and MSU Dryads could operate similarly (better with Rend) and pair them up with something scarier.  I kinda like the 10-man group for opening up the board for movement shenanigans.  

On 19-7-2017 at 8:41 PM, Popisdead said:

The thing I have learned about Slaanesh rumours is they are usually debunked with time.

Remember when GW had to "stop selling the 6th ed metal daemonettes cause of copyright infringement?"  but,.. then they resold them in December?  

Every rumour about "inappropriate" or whatever has been dispelled by seeing Slaanesh monthly in a BL story in some manner.  Even Guy Haley said "I keep putting slaanesh in stories to prove he is not going away."  I think even one blog everyone kept quoting from a couple years ago was "Slaanesh is just 80s sex drugs and rock and roll and has to die".  It wasn't even a fact, just an opinion of some a-hole who did understand.

I was thinking of trying out that formation uh...Lacillion's Horde?  The Daemonic Mount making the Chosen attack twice, then take daemonettes for objective camping and the chariots for another punchy unit.  At 1000 points it works if you and your opponent can (easily) come to an agreement on the value of the formation.

I wanted to add I saw a couple lists on twitter from the UK tournament gamers (they are probably both here) with their lists.  One capped out the girls at 10, and spammed Exalted on chariots.  Another had quite a few Helflayers.  

I've been running my Dryads in 10 with Winterleaf and I think with spamming 10-man groups and using the uh,. Great Destroyer? ability that on a 5+ you get +1 to hit, and MSU Dryads could operate similarly (better with Rend) and pair them up with something scarier.  I kinda like the 10-man group for opening up the board for movement shenanigans.  

Yeah could be good. What would you price it? I think 60 or maybe 80. Hoping the gh2 brings some fun battalions and traits to the table for us.

39 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yeah could be good. What would you price it? I think 60 or maybe 80. Hoping the gh2 brings some fun battalions and traits to the table for us.

I generally look at what is really similar and then pad.  My opponent and I are playing casual competitive (do what you can with what you have, i.e. not running out to buy 4 Exalted Seeker chariots but you could have a couple Daemon Princes' lying around).

The biggest thing seems to be fly on the chariots.  40 points isn't obnoxious for that.  Gnarlroot is what, 20?  I think even the 140 points I'm paying for Winterleaf is cheap compared to what other formations can cost.  I believe the ability the chosen will benefit from is already on a Daemonic Prince?  Okay so the Daemonettes get to re-roll wounds if the Amethyst Guard slay a model and -1 Bravery.  Probably 80 points as a start?  That would really scale depending on the size of the Daemonettes.  

When I tried the Khorne Minotaur formation I paid what the Bullgor Stampede costs (120?) and I think left a bit more room for padding in my list?  

Has anyone picked up the slaanesh start collecting box yet? Are daemonettes still on 25mm rounds, or did they move up to 32mm like the other battleline daemons?

Been holding off on round-basing mine as seems could go either way.

38 minutes ago, boots468 said:

Has anyone picked up the slaanesh start collecting box yet? Are daemonettes still on 25mm rounds, or did they move up to 32mm like the other battleline daemons?

Been holding off on round-basing mine as seems could go either way.

They're on 25mm

What about this 2000 list! If could be fun

lord of slaanesh in demo mount 140

- general

chaos sorcerer lord 140

-slaanesh

demon Prince 160

-slaanesh

chaos lord in demo mount 140

-slaanesh 

30 demonettes 360

2 x 10 warriors chaos 360

-slaanesh

10 seeker slaanesh 240

10 chaos knights 400

pleasurebound battalion 60

chaos knights with slaanesh lord can pile twice,  demon Prince attack first!! Slave to darkness lord for kill enemy single heros ( khorne buffers for ex, or mages etc) warriors for hold. If they kill 1 Knights I can pile 6 twice:)

what do you think?:)

Alluring allies for slaanesh?

with the new ally rules coming up (taking 20% from another faction whilst keeping faction abilities). What are you planning to add to your force? 

Personally I'm looking for style and fluffy fitting units but if something buffs us competitively all the better!

but not much came to mind. The moment I saw the mutilith vortex beast I was convinced it belonged with slaanesh. Sadly couldn't be much farther from the truth. But now it's an option.  

But not much else has come to mind. What about you?

ps. Well maybe a pink war mammoth ? ;) 

Archived