Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

23 hours ago, Popisdead said:

How do you get the 2+ re-rollable?  Mystic Shield and something?

I have noticed a trend with Exalted Keepers being popular in I think both AoS and 40k.  Do they stand out that much?  I have always been tempted to pick one up.

Yeah mystic shield to bring her to a 2+ and then the chaos sorcerer lord has an ability to give any unit within 10" rerolls 1 to saves. 

He can also cast daemonic power to give her rerolls 1 of to hit, to wound and to saves if you wanted even more buffs. 

160 points is expensive for a 5 wound model but he is so worth it from the above abilities. 

From my experience you can't beat her. As long as you keep her away from any mortal wound spammers she will tear through most armies. Her pile in twice ability basically doubles the damage output of a 500 point monster. I've had her chew through 40 ghouls in one go. 

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, new member, but I've done some lurking. I have question about a slaanesh list I'm building. 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders
Keeper Of Secrets (280)
- General
- Trait: Supremely Vain 
- Artefact: Breathtaker 
- Slaanesh Allegiance Option: Allure of Slaanesh (Second Command Trait)
Herald Of Slaanesh on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (120)
30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear
- Claw spear
Jabberslythe (120)
Jabberslythe (120)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

My last 200 parts are what I am struggling with. I have a few options though. I really like the sorcerer lord on manticore as it provides the reroll 1's and is more tankier than the base lord. It also allows me to provide additional magical support as the guant summoner is on Horde removal duty and zone denial with the balewind.  My other choice is another squad of hellstriders with the masque of slaanesh. The masque to proc daemonette locus ability and be a general nuisance . I've had success with hellstriders being annoying with helping a star drake fail to kill a seeker chariot after 3 combat rounds cause of the -2 to hit.

@carnith looks awesome man! I think there are a lot of options to go with that last 200 points. I feel like you could consider a second KoS by dropping a Jabberslythe (they are great but one usually suffices as an obnoxious piece) or alternatively also consider a Slaanesh Deamon Prince, I think it could really aid your Daemon heavy army in many ways. 

9 hours ago, carnith said:

Hey guys, new member, but I've done some lurking. I have question about a slaanesh list I'm building. 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Pretenders
Keeper Of Secrets (280)
- General
- Trait: Supremely Vain 
- Artefact: Breathtaker 
- Slaanesh Allegiance Option: Allure of Slaanesh (Second Command Trait)
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (120)
- Claw spear
- Claw spear
Jabberslythe (120)
Jabberslythe (120)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

My last 200 parts are what I am struggling with. I have a few options though. I really like the sorcerer lord on manticore as it provides the reroll 1's and is more tankier than the base lord. It also allows me to provide additional magical support as the guant summoner is on Horde removal duty and zone denial with the balewind.  My other choice is another squad of hellstriders with the masque of slaanesh. The masque to proc daemonette locus ability and be a general nuisance . I've had success with hellstriders being annoying with helping a star drake fail to kill a seeker chariot after 3 combat rounds cause of the -2 to hit.

How are you getting -2 to hit?

15 minutes ago, Tasman said:

How are you getting -2 to hit?

Stacking the hell striders I would imagine - can't remember if you can do this or not, although it gets outlawed at some events where you can't stack the same buff from two sources, even if the RAW says it's fine. 

The keeper will have the -1 to hit debuff on themself. the gaunt summoner gets a -1 in combat, and the heralds get a -1 when attacked by heroes. Sorry for not clearing up, it's not by stacking hellstrider debuffs as I don't think that ruling will be legitimate. I feel GW is intending to make "a", "any" and "one or more" all equivalent, which they've done with one or more and any. They really needed rules writers to sit down and codify the words with the same intent. 

On 2/16/2018 at 5:48 AM, Stevewren said:

Stacking the hell striders I would imagine - can't remember if you can do this or not, although it gets outlawed at some events where you can't stack the same buff from two sources, even if the RAW says it's fine. 

Not stackable, alas. However you CAN get -2 on the LODM and KoS by having units of striders within 6" of any units within 6" of them..... it's not that big of a bubble, but it can be manipulated nicely.

So I played two games yesterday with the manticore in the list. 

Game 1 was vs Stormcast. 

Stormcast brought

30 liberators

5 liberators 

5 liberators

5 bow judicators

5 xbow judicators. 

4 fulminators

castellant

celestent

relictor

Battleplan was Battle for the Pass. He had turn 1 and moved up as far as he could and get 3 points. My turn 1 consisted of me charging him with a chariot and some jabberslythes with some support with a hellstrider. The gaunt Summoner killed some liberators and took some wounds off lord celestent. My girls moved up as far as they could and he took my chariot down to 1 wound. I won a double turn which consisted of my keeper, and daemonettes charging with jabberslythes now in his backfield . His fulminators were just ineffective. The manticore had to sit back to hold the objective , a mistake as i didn't realize battle for the pass just had to touch an objective once to own it. 

Game 2 was vs Khorne, the fight as old as time.

List was 

2x10 blood warriors

1x5 blood warriors

2x6 skullcrushers

1x3 skull crushers

might lord on jugger

skullgrinder

aspiring something or other. 

2x khorgorath. 

Red headsmen

Brass Stampede

This was scenario 6 out of the GHB, so there are 6 objectives, with 3 on each side. You can control an objective or if its in your opponents turn, burn it  for d3. 

My line up had jabberslythes on the flanks with a chariot on each side daemonettes in two groups with hellstriders spread about with keeper by one squad. This game down to points in the end. I had murdered most of his units, but he got a few of his red headsmen marks, so when a few blood warriors hit, they exploded the number of wounds they did. The game came down to 14-16 in points with me eeking out a victory. I misplayed a bit. My sorcerer lord held a point for a long time and his spell went off twice, once for 6 mortal wounds, and once for nothing. The gaunt summoner did not a whole lot, but it was an elite army, so i sniped out what I could. The Jabberslythes played as a magnet for scary things to weaken themselves on. 

On 2/16/2018 at 5:44 PM, carnith said:

The keeper will have the -1 to hit debuff on themself. the gaunt summoner gets a -1 in combat, and the heralds get a -1 when attacked by heroes. Sorry for not clearing up, it's not by stacking hellstrider debuffs as I don't think that ruling will be legitimate. I feel GW is intending to make "a", "any" and "one or more" all equivalent, which they've done with one or more and any. They really needed rules writers to sit down and codify the words with the same intent. 

No they will not, if anything they will just reword the warscroll to any. "A"="one" in the English language.

2 hours ago, carnith said:

Then I look forward to further clarification and unification of rules writing, as it is now, people having multiple interpretations of the same rule shouldn't exist. 

Lol. That's been the case for as long as I've been involved with the hobby....[25+ yrs]

I've been having quite a lot of luck with this list:

Host: Pretenders

Leaders

- Exalted Greater Daemon of Slaanesh (500) - General - Command Trait : Supremely Vain - Slaanesh Allegiance Option : Devotee of Torment (Second Command Trait)

- The Masque Of Slaanesh (80)

- Daemon Prince Of Slaanesh (160) - Artefact : Icon of Infinite Excess

- Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160) - Runesword - Mark of Chaos : Slaanesh

- Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (120) - Allies

Units

- 30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)

- 30 x Daemonettes Of Slaanesh (270)

- 10 x Seekers Of Slaanesh (240)

- 5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100) -Claw spear - Enrapturing Banner

- 5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100) -Claw spear - Enrapturing Banner

Total: 2000 / 2000

Allies: 120 / 400

Leaders: 5/6

Battlelines: 4 (3+)

Behemoths: 2/4

Artillery: 0/4

Wounds: 138

The general strategy is quite simple; the seekers are likely to get a first turn charge, so buff them with the sorcerer's spell, a mystic shield from the keeper, and the keeper's command ability. They'll likely mince a squishy unit, or at least hold up a chunk of an army - especially good against shooting units that would need to move to shoot at the rest of your army because it severely limits their options. The Masque also aims to hold up their army in order to give you ample time to position yourself (especially the exalted keeper and daemonettes). These two units can really help disrupt the opponent's options on their first turn and opens up loads of options to you because your speed lets you get anywhere you want.

The daemon prince keeps near the daemonettes and will charge in with them against whatever unit you want dead; when activating the banner, attack with a unit of daemonettes first and they'll likely mince through most of the unit, but if not, the daemon prince will get to attack before the enemy gets the use the +1 to hit.

The Hellstriders are mainly good for protecting the daemonettes or the keeper, but are decent at holding a point because they can move so quickly away from the point to a better position if needed, and the -1 to hit can make them tankier than they look. Don't rely on them to kill anything - from what I've seen, they're pacifists.

The gaunt summoner is to eliminate annoying horde units that you don't want to spend time chewing through; while daemonettes can kill most hordes, there are better options for them to fight (such as elite troops or expensive monsters). 

The two power-houses of the army are the daemonettes and the exalted keeper. The daemonettes are pretty straightforward, the only real goal is to keep them near the daemonprince for his banner and the ability to force your opponent to reroll 6s to hit. They will blend through most things, but you want to attack with them first as they also get blended through; thankfully, you won't have many other units in danger (either because they're out of 3" or will pile in and attack first anyway). In addition, the pretenders allowing you to reroll 1s to hit is very useful for you. After the seeker alpha strike, the exalted keeper should be buffed with the sorcerer spell and a mystic shield (supremely vain helps secure this), and sometimes its own command ability. This thing is your best hero killer; the general strategy is to run it out of 4 to 6" away from an enemy hero who is also near another hero (hopefully one of which is a general or a key buffer), get through the rest of combat before using devotee of torment to pile in from over 3" away and attack into the hero; if this hero has any less than 10 wounds, it will almost certainly die. The best part comes with the command ability as it lets you pile in an additional 6" and attack another poor hero or a horde that needs mulching. Devotee of torment allows you to retreat and pile in as well, so don't worry about sticking around if you don't want to (or you find a better target). To make use of supremely vain, simply use this model as the hammer to the spiky anvil of daemonettes so that it will be close enough to 10 models (and it will bring the pain with seven attacks at 2/2/-1/2 rerolling all 1s and four attacks at 2/1/-2/3 rerolling all 1s. The reason I use the exalted over the normal KoS is because only the exalted can really hold its own as a true combat monster; the normal isn't bad, but it's not reliable enough to become the murder-storm hero killer the exalted becomes (you should easily be killing three 5-wound heros per round). 

As for games with this list, I've not lost any, and have won against Slaves to Darkness, Moonclan, Stormcast, and Wanderers (tabelling within turn 3 for all of them) with over 75% of the army left alive and well (except in the case of Stormcast, which was a lot closer). I would not recommend the list in casual games - especially devotee of torment on the keeper - as it isn't exactly fun to play against for an unprepared opponent. 

Ie got a fluff question. Iḿ working on some new fluff to expand my Slaanesh elves army (link to my plog in signature). At this point my former main character has reached daemonhood, in order to survive the end times, and has founded a city in the realm of light. It may not be expected of chaos to create cities, but to me it makes a lot of sense. My character was worshipping the creative and artistisc aspect of Slaanesh most of all. for art to exist, I think there must be some kind of civilisation so creating a city where artisans are resprected and magically enhanced to create the best pieces of art for the amusement of Slaanesh makes a lot of sense.

anyway, to move the story forward I want to create a new character. A diplomat in the service of Thalion (my damenon prince character). However this new character does not know the truth, as I imagine less and less citizens do. In his quest to gain further power he might slowly find out the truth about the true ruler of the city. This, for me, opens up a lot of possibilities for intrige and encounters with different characters from a range of different armies.

So, my actual question is this: I'm wondering if it is clear for how much time Slaanesh has been missing. I imagine a lot of human seekers have died and the amount of Slaanesh worshippers must have been diminished. Does anyone know of have a clear insight in the timeline so far?

• 3 weeks later...

Lord of Chaos (the Slaves to Darkness guy on foot) would probably be my choice. 12" move, flying (thanks to the artifact) plus run and charge from his warscroll. Could be a great squishy hero hunter.

He's usually only a 5" move, so the added benefit is substantial.

So is this officially a matched play thing ?

If so , who could possibly use it?

- Both Lords on foot seem to be the maximum beneficiaries , although both aren't too important. They offer slight buffs , but a 5 wound hero with a 4+ save gets erased quickly if he attracts even the slightest attention. When it's comes to killing things the Slaanesh lord fares a little bit better. Still nothing to write home about.

- Lord on Daemonic mount

A little bit better here. Being able to run and charge with a flying model is a good thing. A Seeker Lord ends up with move 14", can run and charge and reliably put about 1-2 wounds on stuff. 

- Sorceror Lord

Offers some better repositioning potential, nothing more.

- Lord on Bitty Worm

Probably the sleeper here. A Seeker lord on Bitty worm with greaves has an 18" flight move. Quite handy for grabbing objectives , disengaging and generally keeping himself alive. 

I think this new artefact is a solid contender for #2 item slot. Right now it's 

#1 Icon of infinite excess

#2 Breath Stealer or Greaves

#3-7 everything else.

Archived