Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

5 minutes ago, Killax said:

What I do think is that this new summonning is a hint of what can come. If anything it's another way to test things.

As to why AoS designers don't simply go for the simple yet very effective 40K style of things I don't really know. Because the problem I have with this Nurgle Contagion system is that they basically removed a real reason to summon Nurgle Daemons altogether. This was not so much build with the Contagion points alone but cemented with how Spume allows you to essentially deep strike for free and how Nurglings have it. So if you want to do it from the getgo, and people do, there are better alternatives.

We'll see how the future of AoS will all pan out. I think that the campaigns are the best way to slowly roll into another edition ;) It's also common for GW to do that. But I think that the first AoS change will occur in 2020 and not 2018. 

Yeh I do agree... 

It just seems kind of odd that there are so many rules throughout the maggotkin book that give you contagion points when there’s very little need to use them (except for more trees). Nobody is going to spend 120 points summoning 5 plaguebearers, likewise a GUO on turn 4-5 - unless they put in a system that the models point cost isn’t included as part of your list 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Chibbins said:

Yeh I do agree... 

It just seems kind of odd that there are so many rules throughout the maggotkin book that give you contagion points when there’s very little need to use them (except for more trees). Nobody is going to spend 120 points summoning 5 plaguebearers, likewise a GUO on turn 4-5 - unless they put in a system that the models point cost isn’t included as part of your list 

Yeah that's likely because the current AoS still isn't really only made with Matched play in mind. For Narrative and Open you can still quite easily do it.
But considering how well 40K works with it's single model costs per units I think the only logical way is to return to that for AoS eventually again too. But there is much more fun to had before we're really going that route. Slaanesh still has to escape end of this year and start of in 2019 ;) which will likely go hand in hand with Aelves as the good guys and EC in 40k will make their moves.

2 hours ago, Chibbins said:

I do wonder whether malign portents is going to be AoS 2.0 and GWs way of finally tidying up the summoning problem. It was poorly implemented when AoS first came out and I feel that using the reinforcement points system was just a stop-gap to try and manage the problem until they could come up with some new ideas.

I’m completely speculating, but the new way for nurgle summoning would be a good system to implement across all armies and death armies would get to benefit most from it... hence the release of malign portents. The nurgle battletome coming out so close to it could mean that they’ve done it in anticipation.

Seeing as summoning points are gained throughout the game brings some balance to how much can be summoned and when... do you spend points bringing  smaller things on the board quickly or save them up for something better later in the game. This would remove the need to include the points for these units in your starting army list, meaning you could have for example 2300 points worth of stuff at the end of a 2000 point game... GW gets to sell more models including more scenery! Obviously this would mean a great deal to death armies and make them more thematic but benefits daemons too. Would also kind of explain the need for Stormcast to suddenly get their own spellcaster...

The fact they’ve removed summoning from the nurgle warscrolls meaning that non-nurgle chaos armies can’t summon them on anymore, and unusually, forgeworld updating their nurgle warscrolls at the same time to match the battletome makes me think that more of this is going to be in the pipeline...

Just my 2 cents... probably completely wrong ?

But the corruption points still require points to summon so they are still almost worthless in match play because now you have to pay in two things. You may have had a point if the corruption points were in lieu of reinforcement points but they are not they required both. 

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

So they increased the cost for Plague Toads and Pox Riders and updated them to be summoned with contagion points, but they still keep Tamurkhan at 500 points who is arguably  worse than Glottkin. 

I really love his model but they keep me from buying it all this time, i guess that is a positive for my wallet.

5 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Thanks for this! Never even considered to check if the FW stuff got updated. Although everytime I see the Horde PDF I get a little sad that it's almost impossible to buy a Mammoth model.

I wonder if it is worth to cast blades of putrefaction (mortal wound on 6+ to hit) on chaos marauders? since they have an inbuilt +1 to hit mechanic (on a 4+/3+) and reroll 1 to hit they can dish out some damage. and for a 40 man 200pts battleline unit they add some more bodies/fertilizer to nurgles garden. with a harbinger of decay they  have some staying power, too.

2 hours ago, tea_wild_owl said:

I wonder if it is worth to cast blades of putrefaction (mortal wound on 6+ to hit) on chaos marauders? since they have an inbuilt +1 to hit mechanic (on a 4+/3+) and reroll 1 to hit they can dish out some damage. and for a 40 man 200pts battleline unit they add some more bodies/fertilizer to nurgles garden. with a harbinger of decay they  have some staying power, too.

Definitely would be interesting with damned terrain buff as well...though I prefer a big warrior blob being thrown by sayl for that job, have happily wiped an entire frontline out off a turn 1 charge

I like the idea of using a 40-man Marauder unit but what are the best ways to make them look more... Nurgley? Aesthetically they just don't suit the army. Rotbringers show that the way to make mortals look like they follow Nurgle is to have big bloated bodies. It's my main problem with marked Slaves to Darkness. The armoured ones aren't so bad but the Marauders' barbarian aesthetic makes it hard to imagine them following anyone but Khorne. 

1 minute ago, Kaedus said:

I like the idea of using a 40-man Marauder unit but what are the best ways to make them look more... Nurgley? Aesthetically they just don't suit the army. Rotbringers show that the way to make mortals look like they follow Nurgle is to have big bloated bodies. It's my main problem with marked Slaves to Darkness. The armoured ones aren't so bad but the Marauders' barbarian aesthetic makes it hard to imagine them following anyone but Khorne. 

I've seen a conversion of pox walkers.

Looks sick  

IMG-20180111-WA0009.jpg

17 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I've seen a conversion of pox walkers.

Looks sick  

IMG-20180111-WA0009.jpg

Oh, Lord, that pun...

But yeah, those look great. I don't get the people who claim you couldn't have a Poxwalker style unit in AoS because "zombies are Nagash, hur dur". There's clearly a difference between these and the Deadwalker zombies (besides the fact that the latter are older than my cousin at this point).

37 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

is it allowed in tourneys to use this kind of converted units (in matched play)? They look far better than the marauders which seem to come from an old WHFB release...

yeah sure. its a gw model, if you say what they are its fine, they cant really be confused with anything else like say if you ran chaos warriors as marauders 

Yeah at NOVA I ran straight up GW zombies as nurgle marked maruaders and the TO's were fine with it. This isnt really a conversion..but more of a "count as". which is fine as long as there is not one unit of pox walkers being used as marauders, and another being used as plaguebearers for example. 

16 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yeah at NOVA I ran straight up GW zombies as nurgle marked maruaders and the TO's were fine with it. This isnt really a conversion..but more of a "count as". which is fine as long as there is not one unit of pox walkers being used as marauders, and another being used as plaguebearers for example. 

Did you visually equipped them with Shield?

Hey Maggotkin,

Coming sunday I'm playing a small scale 2v2 tournament and I would love to hear your thoughts about my (600 point) list:

Harbinger of Decay

Sorcerer

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

I'm especially in need for some Artefact & Command trait advice. For me the first thing that comes to mind is giving my Harbinger the item which grants him access to the wheel of corruption spell. However, I'm really curious about your thoughts!

In case you're suggesting some changes to the composition of the list. I've got in my collecting: 20 Plaguebearers, 6 Nurglings. Lord of Plagues, Gutrot, Gorebeast Chariot & an - awesome converted ;) - Warshrine

P.S. My teammate is playing Nighthaunt (Black coach, 2 Cairnwraiths & 3 units of Spirits)

21 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

No. of course not. They used body parts as shield... they are zombies. Most of them didn't even have weapons...

And they let you play them as they had Shield? That'a interesting, i thought that in tournaments they have the WYSIWYH rule

4 hours ago, Kaedus said:

Meh. I just put them out there.... StD are just that: slaves. They are used by the gods to provide bodies and that's about it. In my minds epic, those few who survive long enough become chaos warriors, who, in turn can be elevated to aspiring champions or chosen. The ultimate goal is of course, demonhood. So, just mobs of frenzied frothing followers for me. Wow. That was a lot of "Fs"!:D

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

And they let you play them as they had Shield? That'a interesting, i thought that in tournaments they have the WYSIWYH rule

Thats more for when your using the actual models. If I was using the chaos warriors (as warriors) for example. They were modelled with sword and runeshield.. but said "oh no they have the halbreds" thats a no no.. but with "count as" and conversions your allowed more leeway.

6 hours ago, Kaedus said:

I'm thinking of making a 40 man squad too, and use a similar technique to what I'll be doing with the blighkings- have pale skin, but use a green wash/watered down paint on certain areas to show some kind of infection, maybe also some nurgle's rot.

Any thoughts now on the Gigantic Chaos Spawn at 180, compared to all the new choices for a Nurgle army. Is it worth it, or does it pale in comparison to the other choices around that level?

I have a converted GUO made from a Maggoth Lord kit, which I could use as a Gigantic Chaos Spawn now, so that's why I was wondering if it could be a useful choice.

19 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Any thoughts now on the Gigantic Chaos Spawn at 180, compared to all the new choices for a Nurgle army. Is it worth it, or does it pale in comparison to the other choices around that level?

I have a converted GUO made from a Maggoth Lord kit, which I could use as a Gigantic Chaos Spawn now, so that's why I was wondering if it could be a useful choice.

there are better choices but it isn't unplayable

Archived