Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

TY Avvien

And how good are those 3 (expensive) units?

Glottkin not very good

Bloab i think remains good (he got an extra spell) while orghotts and morbidex are kinda bad (orghotts is awful).

Pusgoyles.... It depends. I think that goes to personal preference but have some uses for sure

Well it is playable

The fact is that he suffers from:

-no 5+ save after save

- 4+ save

- 80 points more than guo

- no command traits and artefacts and this is the real problem cause they are really strong.

However he can make plaguebearers/marauders twice as tanky, twice as killy and draws attention. I mean you have to deal with him, otherwise he buffs the army really a lot.

Be careful of positioning and shooting tho, he is quite easy to take down despite 18 wounds

I'm not sure how you can say the Glottkin isn't good. Maybe it's slightly overcosted...I don't have enough experience with it to really know. But it's a hard hitting tank/wizard with a great command ability and a spell that makes big tarpit units like plaguebearers almost impossible to kill, or even weaker units like plaguemonks into fairly decent tarpits.

I think it would be fairly easy to build an effective list around the Glottkin if you wanted to do so. I can't say it will win tournaments, but it will definitely be competitive. 

7 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

- no command traits and artefacts and this is the real problem cause they are really strong.

Ah, I think this is the most important thing. That makes sense. It's a big deal to not have a command trait. The artifact can be given to someone else, though, so it's not a big loss. The other things are definitely relevant but not enough to make him bad.

It might be nice if GW gave his warscroll a onceover, just to put him on the same level as the GUO in terms of toughness. A save of 3+ would go a long way.

I think if GeneralZero loves the model he should use it. Part of Warhammer is using the models you love. He's not going to get his butt handed to him using the Glottkin.

Well the Glottkin is a 18 wound Rotbringers Sorcerer with two spells, who can get a 5++ from the Harbinger as general. Given the importance of magic with the Maggotkin book that’s got to count for something. They also have a shooting attack as good as a short range cannon. I don’t know, he’s certainly not optimal but he’s still pretty good if you’re a fan of the miniature. 

14 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Well it is playable

The fact is that he suffers from:

-no 5+ save after save

- 4+ save

- 80 points more than guo

However he can make plaguebearers/marauders twice as tanky, twice as killy and draws attention. I mean you have to deal with him, otherwise he buffs the army really a lot.

Be careful of positioning and shooting tho, he is quite easy to take down despite 18 wounds

I'd try Glottkin if I were into Special Characters, but I think his big weakness is what you are calling out here. He isn't very resilient (relatively speaking) and his abilities are those which really grab your opponent's attention, which means he'll get burned down fast. If you have the type of army that can benefit from that sort of expensive ablative armor than cool, but currently Nurgle doesn't have the types of units to benefit from that, imho.

10 minutes ago, Yeled said:

Ah, I think this is the most important thing. That makes sense. It's a big deal to not have a command trait. The artifact can be given to someone else, though, so it's not a big loss. The other things are definitely relevant but not enough to make him bad.

I think if GeneralZero loves the model he should use it. Part of Warhammer is using the models you love. He's not going to get his butt handed to him using the Glottkin.

Could he not use a different model as the general? Like Lord of Plagues or whatever?

I know I didn't win, but I came in 8th in battle points at nova using a rotbringers list that included glotkin with harbinger as general and a huge brick of mauraders.  

Its funny in the last two pages of this thread. Two of those three units were called bad or not worth taking lol. They are good if you use him right. 

Keep in mind tho that playing him with the harbinger wastes his command ability.

Imho pales agaisnt guo and harbinger. However it surely got better with trees, new spells and such. 

But for give you an example: a megaboss killed my full wound glottkin in one turn after i failed to kill him with +1 A and 2 wounds done already. He rolled good and i rolled pretty bad but still... That 140 point hero took away a 420 point investment.

If you run him please be careful. His positioning is unforgiving and give him mystic shield.

47 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Keep in mind tho that playing him with the harbinger wastes his command ability.

Imho pales agaisnt guo and harbinger. However it surely got better with trees, new spells and such. 

But for give you an example: a megaboss killed my full wound glottkin in one turn after i failed to kill him with +1 A and 2 wounds done already. He rolled good and i rolled pretty bad but still... That 140 point hero took away a 420 point investment.

If you run him please be careful. His positioning is unforgiving and give him mystic shield.

That's not rolling good..that's just legendary rolling and epic fail rolling by you. Your ork anecdote reminded me the time my glotkin vomitted on gordak and finished him off by rolling double 6's for the damage. That is not going to happen all the time! So...yeah anecdotes are just that..

The new Guo is a bit stronger in my opinion as the Glottkin, but i like that the Glottkin can buff all your guys with the +1 Attack. Also his spell is pretty good.

BTW would be cool to play Archaon, Glottkin and a Harbinger in one army, should be a lot stronger now XD.

Archived