Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

[MOD] Hi Guys, just a friendly reminder to not post images of publications. Thanks![/MOD]

Super excited for the release. I think i will be looking at 2x 30 PBs and some BKs. Going mixed, although Tallyband looks good to keep drops down. Don[t under estimate how useful being a 1 or 2 drop army will be! 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, smucreo said:

I'm sorry I'm still not familiar with some of the terms, what does being a 1 drop or a 2 drop army mean?

You can deploy your army in one single drop if it fits within a Batallion. You don't have to setup one unit at a time but the whole formation at once.

Then you're sure to choose who goes first.

5 minutes ago, smucreo said:

I'm sorry I'm still not familiar with some of the terms, what does being a 1 drop or a 2 drop army mean?

In AoS you take turns setting up or “dropping” units with your apponent. Whoever finishes set up first gets to decide who goes first. Taking battalions allows you to put the whole Battalion down in one drop thus increasing chances of getting to go first and the tactical advantages that brings.

1 hour ago, smucreo said:

Yeah but if you want to use the mortal lore (which honestly looks good) you are better off going for the chaos sorcerer right? 

Depends on point limitations, imo. The rot sorc has mortal keyword, I think. And is still only 100 points, I think. A bargain before, and maybe a must take guy now.

14 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Depends on point limitations, imo. The rot sorc has mortal keyword, I think. And is still only 100 points, I think. A bargain before, and maybe a must take guy now.

He wasn't a bargain. He was basically useless with a 7" spell and 4" move. He's better now but not amazing. 

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

The rotbringer sorcerer is a mortal and can use the mortal Nurgle lore. The good thing of rotbringers is that they have access to 2 lores, 2 sets of command traits and artefacts

I'm very happy to hear this. I have a Rotbringer Sorcerer who is sort of a narrative anchor for my army. His name is Pustulio and I love the model and back story I cobbled together for him. I'd been having trouble with the actual character in game. He could wander behind the GUO and cast Arcane Shield on him, but rarely had an opportunity to do much more. Having different spells will likely make him a little more relevant to gameplay.

1 hour ago, Bowlzee said:

[MOD] Hi Guys, just a friendly reminder to not post images of publications. Thanks![/MOD]

Super excited for the release. I think i will be looking at 2x 30 PBs and some BKs. Going mixed, although Tallyband looks good to keep drops down. Don[t under estimate how useful being a 1 or 2 drop army will be! 

I am sorry! I was under the impression that when linked to source it was allowed. 

I'm very excited by the release too. I think Nurgle is a very unique army which has really tuned well into the narrative and matched play games. So well that I wouldnt have expected all the interactions the design team put into this book to make it feel good. For the army will remain a relative elite army (correct, Nurgles hordes in AoS are 'more lite' and you are creating a Garden of Nurgle!). 

While I certainly agree on the importance of 1 drops I feel that especially Nurgle doesn't "forcefully" want this. What I mean by this is that there are support pieces which can be hidden in or behind models and support pieces who gladly stand behind a Blight Tree. Then there are GUO's which you couldn't hide anyway but are close to impossible to remove just by ranged attacks with what I commonly see with GH2017 armies in mind.

Cheers!

32 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Yeah certainly agree. 

In addition I think Everchosens' Plaguetouched Warband will be a great choice for those who want to solely focus on Blightkings. I think the unit sizes of 7 are... well... not too common (one could run 15 Blightkings -1 = 14) but I do think that any additional -1 to hit, even if it's in the combat phase, is a very welcome bonus for a whole army, that's a one drop, with a Battalion that's only 100 points.

4 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I'm very happy to hear this. I have a Rotbringer Sorcerer who is sort of a narrative anchor for my army. His name is Pustulio and I love the model and back story I cobbled together for him. I'd been having trouble with the actual character in game. He could wander behind the GUO and cast Arcane Shield on him, but rarely had an opportunity to do much more. Having different spells will likely make him a little more relevant to gameplay.

Does Pustulio sing? Is his last name Nurglesias? 

In general one reason why I love those Blightbringer boxes is because they make the perfect Rotbringer Sorcerer too!

For those who really want to be creative I'd certainly use the bits of this wonderful Death Guard Sorcerer. Its pitty he's exclusive to that two player box :( 

60010199015_40KDarkImperiumENG14.jpg

Using the head and fly cloud of this model will lead to an amazing Rotbringer Sorcerer for sure!

Any idea how much the rotbringer sorcerer costs now? And what the bilepiper does? I’m initially thinking of this list, points depending:

GUO – 340
Rotigus - 340
Herald – 120
Sloppity Bilepiper – 100
Rotbringer Sorcerer – 100
30 Plaguebearers – 320
10 Plaguebearers – 120
10 Plaguebearers – 120
3 Drones – 200
Tallyband - 220

1980 total

7 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Any idea how much the rotbringer sorcerer costs now? And what the bilepiper does? I’m initially thinking of this list, points depending:

GUO – 340
Rotigus - 340
Herald – 120
Sloppity Bilepiper – 100
30 Plaguebearers – 320
10 Plaguebearers – 120
10 Plaguebearers – 120
3 Drones – 200
Tallyband - 220

1980 total

I'm probably behind on the leaks but I wasn't aware of any of those point values. Fascinating. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rotbringer Sorcerer remained at 100, but based on the other items which went up by a chunk, who knows?

Start with 1 and see how it works for you! I'm rolling one of them now, and sadly a lot of the time it will struggle to earn its points back - it only has one shot, and misses 40% of the time. It spends a lot of time doing absolutely nothing.

Still, it's a wonderful anti-horde piece, and it's fun to see how my opponents panic and rush all their assassins or big expensive monsters across the field just to get at that one, poor catapult in the back. So it's a great distraction! 1 is just as good as 2, for such cases, perhaps even better since it won't be such a big loss if someone gets at your siege stuff.

As a bonus, they're really fun to paint! It's pretty much my centerpiece at the moment.

4 minutes ago, FRoper said:

in regards to the plagueclaw catapults, would people suggest taking 1or 2.

I'd been asking myself the same question. The only reason I can see that 2 being a bad idea is if you need the points to go elsewhere or if you are dealing with an army that has whacky deployment rules (Stormcast, Karadron Overlords, Tunneling Skaven). You may be giving them a juicy target.  I'm starting out with just one and will see how the thing does. 

4 minutes ago, FRoper said:

Don't know. Honestly or you have a high ranged plan (rotigus, PCC, mortal wounds from ranges) or don't bother with PCC. They lost epidemius and, since i never liked them, for me they are now completely out.

For me, they never did the job, but i guess is a daemon prince-like situation: for some work, for others does not.

27 minutes ago, Killax said:

For those who really want to be creative I'd certainly use the bits of this wonderful Death Guard Sorcerer. Its pitty he's exclusive to that two player box :( 

60010199015_40KDarkImperiumENG14.jpg

Using the head and fly cloud of this model will lead to an amazing Rotbringer Sorcerer for sure!

I'm thinking about just using that model as-is. After all, Dark Shadows and Liber Chaotica both suggest that the Chaos Gods aren't above throwing around some... esoteric gifts for their chosen.

31 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

GUO – 340
Rotigus - 340
Herald – 120
Sloppity Bilepiper – 100
30 Plaguebearers – 320
10 Plaguebearers – 120
10 Plaguebearers – 120
3 Drones – 200
Tallyband - 220

Very potent list in my opinion. So far still no confirmed news on Rotbringer Sorcerer or Bilepiper. Perhaps tonight when the open FAQ awnsers on War of Sigmar will be awnsered but I don't know. It's also possible that they covered this on the Facehammer podcast where the lads go through the book but I don't know that either because I didn't finish the full podcast yet.

19 minutes ago, FRoper said:

Well I'd say the first question is how much you want one in the first place. I would say they arn't a requirement anymore but still really a cool choice for visual reasons and indeed to have something to do at range. At the same time Rotigus also can do some awesome stuff and you might prefer that model visually... It all depens :P 

8 minutes ago, Mangod said:

I'm thinking about just using that model as-is. After all, Dark Shadows and Liber Chaotica both suggest that the Chaos Gods aren't above throwing around some... esoteric gifts for their chosen.

Awesome choice too, but I would say that the backpack isn't really in the Rotbringer vibe. It's your choice though!

At the 40k side quite some players have simply stuck backpacks on Blood Warriors and call them Berzerkers too but I do prefer models without power armour in Age of Sigmar for now. But a lot of bits can be used.

Edit: Something like this is what I had in mind:
image.png.f6180fcd4acf43548cdf88e0dbdd60ec.png

Here is my kitbashed/converted rotbringer sorcerer. I used spume as the base, cut off the armor spikes, removed his head, used a hooded (for a sorcerer feel) blightking head, cut off his axe head and used a blightking icon to make a staff. I greenstuffed another head coming out of his back/neck to add intrigue. 

sorc - Copy.jpg

sorc2.jpg

I'm definitely going for the Blight Cyst.  Probably one (at least) blob of 30 plaguebearers with the Spoilpox Scrivener, couple units of Blightkings (not sure if MSU or not right now), I think i'm skipping the Pusgoyle but am going to definitely build a Lord of Affliction.  Gutrot Spume is a solid potential after seeing what he is supposed to do.  2-3 trees (have one pre-ordered right now) but I'm not planning on running Horticulous or anything so have to see how fast corruption points are gained to sprout more trees.  

2 hours ago, Killax said:

In general one reason why I love those Blightbringer boxes is because they make the perfect Rotbringer Sorcerer too

This guy would be awesome.... I do have two of them and I think one would be easy to convert for AoS

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

He wasn't a bargain. He was basically useless with a 7" spell and 4" move. He's better now but not amazing. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. While his signature spell was underwhelming range wise, it became a whole lot better if you set him on a vortex. If you didn't want to make him a 200 point model that way, he could still cast the generic spells, and with a little luck get more resilient as he gained more wounds. I used him often.

28 minutes ago, Tasman said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. While his signature spell was underwhelming range wise, it became a whole lot better if you set him on a vortex. If you didn't want to make him a 200 point model that way, he could still cast the generic spells, and with a little luck get more resilient as he gained more wounds. I used him often.

Toss me in the box with the other guy who thinks RBS was useless. 7" spell that is only 2/3 better than arcane bolt (which he knew already obviously), harder to cast and slow as a dirt. LOL no thanks. But its all in the past because BATTLETOME!!!!!!! 

giphy.webp

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Here is my kitbashed/converted rotbringer sorcerer. I used spume as the base, cut off the armor spikes, removed his head, used a hooded (for a sorcerer feel) blightking head, cut off his axe head and used a blightking icon to make a staff. I greenstuffed another head coming out of his back/neck to add intrigue. 

sorc - Copy.jpg

sorc2.jpg

Absolutely love it! The face in the back of the head is genious incarnate.

I can say I am very excited by creative nurgle players. I know at least one guy from the Blightbringer box makes a great Daemon Herald too. Gotta love that.

Archived