Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

1 hour ago, Killax said:

In all seriousness I too think the 12" bubble is the better choice, I believed I mentioned that before but that's really neither here not there. What makes the opponents are forced to re-roll hits of 6's so good is with my Khorne bias in mind. It can ****** with a lot of rolls and that's what I like about it. But in the end it really depends on what you want to do with the GUO still. The bell is fantastic support, the sword is fantastic offense. If you have enough movement support through Cycle and Trees the bell is still amazing but not always needed. I feel that Nurgle plays this attrition game well enough to not have to be there in melee combat turn 1. This requirement even is lower when you include double Plagueclaws or Rotigus which force most armies out anyway. Though indeed if you skip on those choices the Bell can become a better choice.

Plagueclaws are going to be really good for the general strategy of some lists, they sit on your deployment zone so that's free contagion points, and they make it so that you don't really need to go for the bell on the GUO as you just said, and that makes it easier to justify its cost in points since he'll be killing a lot more stuff in melee. And yeah the 12'' bubble artifact is great, and against certain armies with exploding 6s it can mess with their damage output quite a bit.

The book keeping stuff though is true, how do you guys keep track of everything on your games? I keep forgetting stuff that could have made a difference, and I don't want to be the guy that keeps saying to their opponent "I know I just started moving my guys but I forgot this ability, can I roll for it now?".

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-ordered the tome, cards, one tree and bought a unit of Blightkings yesterday.  I'm hoping that the direction they are going with the battletomes now (they seem to be more combined and less split out) doesn't mean you'll start seeing "soup" factions like what's ruining 40k (IMHO).  I'd rather not see Pestilens stuff become a "must take" in a Maggotkin army just because it has the NURGLE keyword so nothing stops you from doing it.

1 hour ago, Peegee said:

Saw that as well but I'm waiting for the official warscroll before the complete Nurgasm.

My little boys can't wait to deny those annoying FS and SCE cheaty teleports ^^

Understandable. However the guy did prove most of the other stuff he claimed and even shown us the pusgoyle and LoA warscrolls. So I guess he is pretty solid.

Am i the only one to think that the lord of affliction is pretty good while pusgoyles are not that impressive?

The lord in a duality of death is simply incredible, while the pusgoyles are pretty slow, with no run/charge boost. I mean they are pretty tanky but for 20 less points than 2 fulminators i maybe expected something better

What's so good about the GUO offensively? For the (rumoured) points he seems kinda meh to me - bit disappointing. Even equipped with sword and flail he seems uninspiring.

The bell and dagger seem to be the way to go as far as I can see. He's better as a support character.

Rotigus seems the best one of all.

58 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Am i the only one to think that the lord of affliction is pretty good while pusgoyles are not that impressive?

The lord in a duality of death is simply incredible, while the pusgoyles are pretty slow, with no run/charge boost. I mean they are pretty tanky but for 20 less points than 2 fulminators i maybe expected something better

Well I still found the pusgoyles awesome. Specially after I saw that the special rend -2 attack is an addition to the blight weapon and not just a replacement. Since a unit can have half of these and not just one as usual for special weapons. They might be able to hit hard imo.

12 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Well I still found the pusgoyles awesome. Specially after I saw that the special rend -2 attack is an addition to the blight weapon and not just a replacement. Since a unit can have half of these and not just one as usual for special weapons. They might be able to hit hard imo.

Yeah but still, 8" move. They deserve a mention because they can survive even without the harbinger buff. 

However the -2 rend is a 4+ to hit and on a unit of 440 points you are using 2 of these. I mean is ok, but i expected some way to give them rend.

They however can hit pretty hard with a +1 attack since they go from +3 to +4 attacks each! ;) also being they daemon the guo found some new friends ;)

1 hour ago, Injuryprone said:

GUO

2xtoads

2xkings

Some hero character

When I see lists like this, I wonder: How do you put enough bodies on objectives to have a chance at winning certain scenarios?

I'm pretty new, I don't know the scenarios for matched play well enough to be sure.

1 hour ago, FRoper said:

would you be able to use virulent discharge on yourself to heal? if so then they could be quite strong.

You are. As for blightkings.

btw. Since they cost the same as 3 x plaguedrones (used to). Do we know if drones hve had any changes? 

Interesting little tidbit for you folks. Just reading the new white dwarf, at the end they have a bill of service from the fyreslayers, with prices for slain friends and foes. What I noticed is that the fyreslayers prices all match their points. And we know blightlords are 220 for two, and this lists 1 slain as costing 110 gold. So, I think these may be points. If so, 100 per herald.

15153692640281539604289.jpg

6 hours ago, shadowgra said:

I felt the same way looking at it.  Only his command ability really buffs Pusgoyles, and chances are he won't be your Warlord.  Depending on his points, maybe just run two Lords of Affliction to maximize the buffs.

6 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

I really have no idea whether to go daemons or mortals now at 1000 pts, this is gonna be a tough.

Ill say it now and another 7x, mix for profit :D Rotbringer spells are great, Plaguebearers bring the numbers but Blightkings are cheap. Etc.

2 hours ago, wayniac said:

I felt the same way looking at it.  Only his command ability really buffs Pusgoyles, and chances are he won't be your Warlord.  Depending on his points, maybe just run two Lords of Affliction to maximize the buffs.

It largely depends on if you want to have a unit charge in turn 1. 

I've had a listen to a review of the book, to the points battalions etc.

If you're going mortal, I get the feeling there's only two battalions worth while. The one giving the kings rend and the everchosen plaguetouched. 

Gutrot is going to be a very strong choice if you run mortals, nearly a auto include ?

He allows you to deploy on any board edge at the end of your first turn movement turn with a unit of blightkings,  if you can afford to let the opponent go first it might be good to do so, so if they rush forward you can deploy behind them or on a flank etc

Now, both these battalions work well with him as you can bog down and force the opponent to react to you by threatening a side with a large unit, one is very defensive which can work offensively (plaguetouched) and the other is offensive. If you put the tree one side of the battlefield and deploy these the other you could.. make turn 1 charges both sides of the field, really forcing your opponent on the defence.

Allowing you to grind them down with mortal wounds and maybe a catapult. 

I've done some test rolls for the blightlords, and as expected they're alright.. nothing amazing. I think they're slightly overcosted. The one good attack hits 50% of the time with 50% of the models in the unit. 

You're going to struggle v high armour units, And at 220 for 2. Its not exactly a unit you want doing nothing. They'll protect a flank, against some armies for a turn or 2 ( the more popular ones), I can't see them taking a flank unless you spend alot of points, but then is it worth it ? Blightkings were reduced in cost due to their inability to kill effectively and given a battalion to help. These guys have the same problem. Theyll capture an objective, but might struggle to take one off the opponent.

The glotts have reportedly been fixed which might make them more viable, you'll still need an above average roll for most units to gain the -1 to hit mind so don't count on it.

Don't know about gutrot, i mean mobility is fine but you will be way out your Buff area. And without the harbinger 5++ we are not that tanky. However he is not a bad choice for Sure.

Completely agree with you about pusgoyles. They seem inefficient unless buffed with a +1 A. I see them being more used in a daemon list instead of a mortal one. For example they have equal wounds of chaos knights for almost the same cost, lowest model count and less mobility.

The lord instead is fairly good. Tons of attacks with rend, built in reroll 1s, mortal wounds All over the place, self healing.

I will surely buy the kit cause i think they are crazy cool but for now i am not going to play them. Also they at least need a unit of 4 to be kind of useful.

I also think that the sorcerer will be way more used. Cheapest hero in the mortal range, can choose 2 lores. 

Wonder if bloab went to 2 spells or not. And wonder if they actually have the maggoth packing some punch. It is not really understandable how it deals less damage than a drone's Sting.

Archived