Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So ever since the Poxwalkers came to 40k, people have been saying that such a light infantry unit is just what mortal Nugle needs in AoS. Personally I've though the odds were low because plague zombies would overlap a bit too much with death in AoS, where as in 40k Nurgle is the closest thing to a "generic" death faction that affects humans (the robotic tomb kings from space just resurrect themselves). But then I had a couple of thoughts. First, if the Nurgle releases are with Malign Portents on purpose rather than coincidence, Nurgle creating plague zombies on a massive scale would be one more thing to make Nagash angry and cause him to lash out. Second, 40k still doesn't have a proper Poxwalkers kit. There's the easy to build box and the start set ones, that's it. So maybe they're working on new kits that shares the same underlying base like the Tzaangors, but different versions for weapon options for AoS/40k.

I've been playing with nurgle daemons(Pure) all year, so I am excited to expand to add some mortals too.

Luckily I already have painted: Exalted Great Unclean one, 70 Plaguebearers, 2 heralds, Epidemius, a daemon prince, 6 beasts of nurgle, 6 flies, 6 nurglings and 6 plague toads.

Likely gonna build the GUO with the bell, because I can just use my Exalted as the sword type if I want to.

40 minutes ago, LLC said:

Am I missing something from the Lord of Blights death's head ability or does it just give one shot, 4+ 3+, to a unit of 5 kings, and it does 1 damage.

Not really sure why that's being touted as so good. 

The combinition of these:

AoSMaggotkinPreview-Dec27-Boxout2mshv.jp

AoSMaggotkinPreview-Dec27-Boxout1bf.jpg

A unit of Blightkings dealing mortal wounds on a 6+ in the shooting phase and the combat phase sounds pretty nice to me, especially if it's a bigger unit.

1 hour ago, HypnoKraken said:

So, I want to start a Nurgle army, however I'm planning on waiting for the new BT and models. Is there anything I could order in the meantime that would be almost a must have in an army? Going with the Rotbringers theme

Blight kings would be the safest bet. They are awesome looking models, they fill your battleline and even with their current rules, they're pretty solid. 

6 hours ago, LLC said:

Am I missing something from the Lord of Blights death's head ability or does it just give one shot, 4+ 3+, to a unit of 5 kings, and it does 1 damage.

Not really sure why that's being touted as so good. 

As I understand the Lord of Blight’s ability it grants a missile weapon to the blightkings and not just an ability. The difference is that missile weapons are dealt to each model in the unit why an ability would just mean a single attack for the whole unit. Thats why the death’s heads might present a threat especially if mixed with the blades of putrefication or on a set of blight drones accompanied by a nurgle daemon hero.

7 hours ago, Faedryd said:

The combinition of these:

AoSMaggotkinPreview-Dec27-Boxout2mshv.jp

AoSMaggotkinPreview-Dec27-Boxout1bf.jpg

A unit of Blightkings dealing mortal wounds on a 6+ in the shooting phase and the combat phase sounds pretty nice to me, especially if it's a bigger unit.

Wouldn't it still be worth it overall to keep them at 5 man squads for their Virulent discharge? 2 goes at virulent discharge seems better than that combo for a squad of 10? They'd get a chance at healing each other and themselves and then double chance for each enemy unit nearby at d3 mortal wounds. 

21 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Wouldn't it still be worth it overall to keep them at 5 man squads for their Virulent discharge? 2 goes at virulent discharge seems better than that combo for a squad of 10? They'd get a chance at healing each other and themselves and then double chance for each enemy unit nearby at d3 mortal wounds. 

That's a good question. Didn't think of the healing, so units of 5 still could be be better.

But I just like the idea a unit of 10 doing 10 attacks in your shooting phase, 30 in your combat phase and 30 in your opponents combat phase, each with a mortal wound on a +6.

One thing I'm slightly upset about is the monopose of the Beasts of Nurgle. All look to be High-Fiving each other.

285dd579-0274-4d6d-bc92-0ebafdb7afaa.jpg.93e008a6850a679ea4aca39da631043c.jpg

I really want to run atleast 1 unit of them along with Slimux, so I'm going to have to find a way to convert a few.

One thing to also notice about the GUO is that you can mix and match the weapons.

AoSMaggotkinPreview-Dec27-Boxout5bncs.jp

I Imagine the Double blades will work well if you plan on charging him up the table, or Bell and Flails if you want a more supporting GUO. Super Excited at any rate :) 

1 hour ago, Bowlzee said:

One thing I'm slightly upset about is the monopose of the Beasts of Nurgle. All look to be High-Fiving each other.

I really want to run atleast 1 unit of them along with Slimux, so I'm going to have to find a way to convert a few.

One thing to also notice about the GUO is that you can mix and match the weapons.

I hear you, but look at it from the bright side, at least you have the option to purchase these models without having to reach for a starterset ;) 
It will be close to three years soon and there still isn't an option to buy a Khorgorath seperately. That model is mono posed like this but one advantage the beasts have is that they at least come with different parts to make them look a little bit different.

The GUO will be awesome for sure. I'm even willing to bet that those weapons will be two part plugs (no glue required) so swapping weapons should be easy too!

I really doubt there will be a Poxwalker for AOS kit, that kit is way too 40k/sci-fi.  As I've said before I keep wanting Pestigor, but I get the impression that Maggotkin is meant to be an elite-focused army without a horde chaff unit.  Which, seeing as I also like (prefer, even) elite armies to hordes, I'm fine with.  I assume today's article will be the mounted Blightkings (Pusgoyle Blightlords, i think it was?) which they look really cool.  

I'm already thinking a "core" will be 30 plaguebearers and the scrivener, 2-3 units of Blightkings, probably the new Pusgoyle Blghtlords because they look amazing, and then I'm not sure as I have to see the synergies and whatnot.  I really like a mixed mortal/daemon force anyways.

18 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I really doubt there will be a Poxwalker for AOS kit, that kit is way too 40k/sci-fi.

As the kits stand right now, yes that are pretty 40k, but there's nothing innate about the basic poxwalker design that makes it too 40k. In fact there are more than a couple that you can change one thing, like remove a utility belt, change the pants, replace the weapon and they'll fit right into AoS. Several of the existing models you can shave off a pouch off a belt or cargo pockets off the pants and paint then right to get something that doesn't look out of place is AoS.

Archived