Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Trying to think of a reason why the exalted GUO shouldnt be in every list I make. He is just an absolute beat stick. He never dies. He can take out almost any other monster out of the game by himself, buffs my swarm of drones to high heaven, and can heal multiple units each turn. With epidemius fully powered up, he is just insane with a base 2+ save. 

Question

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wella in every list hell no cause he costs 500.

However i too think that he is good (really good). What pisses me off a bit is his 7" range and his slow movement.

You can actually be at 1+ r1 with chaos sorcerer, mystic Shield and epi. Kinda useless but here it is.

I played him once in a game against BCR and they killed him with triple ttusk. I was really unlucky with dice rolls (casted 1 spell in 3 turns with 4 mages). However in 1 shooting he melted the huskard really bad.

EGUO is really consistent for me, and so hard to kill, especially with a chaos talisman :P (I know it’s not been officially clarified if they can take an artefact but house rules). Had 2 thundertusks concentrating their fire on it for a turn, and took 2 wounds ;) 

Another sweet moment was it wiping out an entire unit of stunties with noxious bile ?

I've played a couple 2k point games and was turned off by how long they took.  Since they don't work with my schedule I'm trying to build a 1000 or 1500 point list.  So far I'm leaning towards:

Harbinger

Chaos Sorc Lord

10 Blightkings

3 Toads

3 Toads

I don't know what to do with the last 140 points or whether I should take out the sorc lord and put in something less expensive.  I'd like to throw a daemon prince in there but then I'd need a new general and the only decent one at lower point values is overcosted Orghotts.

Here's a list of what I currently own:

Harbinger

Lord of Plagues

Festus (used as a chaos sorcerer lord sometimes)

Bloab

Orghotts

20 Blightkings (have 5 more unbuilt in box)

10 Plaguebearers (have 10 more unbuilt in box)

3 Drones

1 Herald

3 Nurglings

6 Toads

10 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

I've played a couple 2k point games and was turned off by how long they took.  Since they don't work with my schedule I'm trying to build a 1000 or 1500 point list.  So far I'm leaning towards:

Harbinger

Chaos Sorc Lord

10 Blightkings

3 Toads

3 Toads

I don't know what to do with the last 140 points or whether I should take out the sorc lord and put in something less expensive.  I'd like to throw a daemon prince in there but then I'd need a new general and the only decent one at lower point values is overcosted Orghotts.

Here's a list of what I currently own:

Harbinger

Lord of Plagues

Festus (used as a chaos sorcerer lord sometimes)

Bloab

Orghotts

20 Blightkings (have 5 more unbuilt in box)

10 Plaguebearers (have 10 more unbuilt in box)

3 Drones

1 Herald

3 Nurglings

6 Toads

Play Festus as Festus and free up 40 points. Now you can fit in the DP easily. Unless you really have your heart set on the sorclord. Otherwise , use the 180 for the other 5  BKs.

Try Epidemius instead of the CSL. It may take a couple turns for the buffs to ramp up to full, but when it does.. blight kings with a 3+ save base it dope. And he is only 20 more expensive, no range on the ability and works on every unit in the army.

With most people running large chaff units I found it quite easy to get the tally going early 

6 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Try Epidemius instead of the CSL. It may take a couple turns for the buffs to ramp up to full, but when it does.. blight kings with a 3+ save base it dope. And he is only 20 more expensive, no range on the ability and works on every unit in the army.

With most people running large chaff units I found it quite easy to get the tally going early 

I'm mainly worried about getting blasted by my friend that plays Seraphon and the other one is mixed skaven, StD Khorne, and Bloodbound (this guy is all over the place).

On 12/13/2017 at 2:53 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

Trying to think of a reason why the exalted GUO shouldnt be in every list I make. He is just an absolute beat stick. He never dies. He can take out almost any other monster out of the game by himself, buffs my swarm of drones to high heaven, and can heal multiple units each turn. With epidemius fully powered up, he is just insane with a base 2+ save. 

Question

Is this the FW Greater one or the buggles standard GW one?

26 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Fw one. 

Normal one- let's open up a discussion: good or bad in your opinion? 

I've yet to field my Nurgle force! So I have no idea how they play. I just think the Citadel one is really bad. I don't know if it's the paint job on the site or if the model is not good, but it's really unappealing. I wouldn't put one on a list for that reason. The FW is better, but there are much nicer 3rd party models for a greater nurgle deamon. 

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

I've yet to field my Nurgle force! So I have no idea how they play. I just think the Citadel one is really bad. I don't know if it's the paint job on the site or if the model is not good, but it's really unappealing. I wouldn't put one on a list for that reason. The FW is better, but there are much nicer 3rd party models for a greater nurgle deamon. 

Completely agree. GW one has 21 yo and the paintjob is kinda bad.

Fw one is way overcosted and some alternatives are way better in cost and results.

3 hours ago, shadowgra said:

Fw one. 

I think by today’s standards it’s awful. I’m not one who is negative about stuff, but no words are needed when it’s stood next to a bloodthirster or LOC haha.

I own the fw version but will be more than happy to get the gw one when it’s released too. Hoping for the release of Ku’Gath also. 

While we’re talking new releases, what are people’s thoughts on malign portents and is it going to mean limited nurgle releases? 

4 hours ago, shadowgra said:

Fw one. 

Not so hot now that the EGDoN is available. 10 wounds with a 4+ save and 1 spell are underwhelming to say the least. He does have some playability as a summoned demon late in the game, though.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:08 PM, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I think by today’s standards it’s awful. I’m not one who is negative about stuff, but no words are needed when it’s stood next to a bloodthirster or LOC haha.

I own the fw version but will be more than happy to get the gw one when it’s released too. Hoping for the release of Ku’Gath also. 

While we’re talking new releases, what are people’s thoughts on malign portents and is it going to mean limited nurgle releases? 

I've read that a Nurgle tome is coming, but no idea where that rumour comes from. Would be great to get an actual Nurgle tome, rather than just daemons or rotbringers. The splitting up of all the factions from WFB to AoS is really frustrating (especially as a skaven player!) so would be nice to get all nurgle in one book. 

13 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I've read that a Nurgle tome is coming, but no idea where that rumour comes from. Would be great to get an actual Nurgle tome, rather than just daemons or rotbringers. The splitting up of all the factions from WFB to AoS is really frustrating (especially as a skaven player!) so would be nice to get all nurgle in one book. 

Oh I’m pretty desperate for more mortal nurgle units. I’ve had it said to me a few times that nurgle don’t need anymore mortal units cause of clan pestilence, but my answer is always the same in that they aren’t even nurgle followers. The great corrupter is just one of the many forms that the horned rat takes. Father Nurgle simply tolerates them in his garden as he enjoys what they do. The miss conception stems from the warscroll keywords and how the clan is stylised. 

The rotbringers are cool, but they need a lot more than the blightkings and a few characters (most of which are awful on the table). 

At the moment I have a reasonably large nurgle daemon army, but it’s much in need of.... something. 

As much as it pains me to say this, I’m getting fed up of not being able to compete with many of the other factions and am considering a 2nd army. To enjoy the game properly I need some options and dynamism on the table. 

14 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

February

13 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Oh I’m pretty desperate for more mortal nurgle units. I’ve had it said to me a few times that nurgle don’t need anymore mortal units cause of clan pestilence, but my answer is always the same in that they aren’t even nurgle followers. The great corrupter is just one of the many forms that the horned rat takes. Father Nurgle simply tolerates them in his garden as he enjoys what they do. The miss conception stems from the warscroll keywords and how the clan is stylised. 

The rotbringers are cool, but they need a lot more than the blightkings and a few characters (most of which are awful on the table). 

At the moment I have a reasonably large nurgle daemon army, but it’s much in need of.... something. 

As much as it pains me to say this, I’m getting fed up of not being able to compete with many of the other factions and am considering a 2nd army. To enjoy the game properly I need some options and dynamism on the table. 

Not so sure about more mortal units.... but look for a retooled GUO, with more wounds and a second spell ala LoC and BTs. About time Papa got a little love. As for mortal units, there's always StD.

I suspect we will get a great unclean one and new beasts with horticus coming out as a single model. we may get new units and it will be like Khorne and TOC, in which it is a combination of mortals and demons.

I am hoping for more mortal units although I doubt it. 

8 hours ago, Tasman said:

Not so sure about more mortal units.... but look for a retooled GUO, with more wounds and a second spell ala LoC and BTs. About time Papa got a little love. As for mortal units, there's always StD.

I really do not see that STD fit in a Rotbringers or nurgle daemon army as anything but allies. Chaos warriors are some of the oldest and most boring models still around. A model so mono posed that it is nearly impossible to even convert them to look nurgle. They have zero rules that make them Nurgle friendly or fun or thematic. All they have is the nurgle keyword. The daemon prince have to be scratchbuild from the bottom as it too has nothing nurgle to it. The same thing goes for the entire Std range. When it comes to building an army based on Std it seem that the only trick to make them work is using the plaguetouched one trick pony.

Sorry for my ranting but I been wanting to say this out loud everytime I hear people arguing that Nurgle has a ton of models and options to choose from.

2 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

I really do not see that STD fit in a Rotbringers or nurgle daemon army as anything but allies. Chaos warriors are some of the oldest and most boring models still around. A model so mono posed that it is nearly impossible to even convert them to look nurgle. They have zero rules that make them Nurgle friendly or fun or thematic. All they have is the nurgle keyword. The daemon prince have to be scratchbuild from the bottom as it too has nothing nurgle to it. The same thing goes for the entire Std range. When it comes to building an army based on Std it seem that the only trick to make them work is using the plaguetouched one trick pony.

Sorry for my ranting but I been wanting to say this out loud everytime I hear people arguing that Nurgle has a ton of models and options to choose from.

It's your opinion. And you're entitled to it. That being said, I've had quite a bit of good experiences with StD. The warriors are a tad old, true.:P That doesn't stop me from putting them on the table. They do pretty well with that plague touched battalion, no doubt.

10 hours ago, Tasman said:

It's your opinion. And you're entitled to it. That being said, I've had quite a bit of good experiences with StD. The warriors are a tad old, true.:P That doesn't stop me from putting them on the table. They do pretty well with that plague touched battalion, no doubt.

Iye it’s all a matter of opinion. But although StD are ok when used with Sayl, i feel my army needs and deserves more rotbringers and some pesitgors. How slaves are an argument when both tzeentch and khorne have these and their own units too I’m unsure....

People can argue till they’re blue in the face that slaves and pestilens fill that gap but it’s just not true (in my humble opinion). 

Hello fellow devotees of Papa Nurgle,

I know everyone's expecting new units and a tome soon, but until then, can I get some thought on my list? I'm going up against seraphon and tzeench mostly so I generally assume most spells wont work, so when they do it's gravy.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders:

Exalted Greater Daemon of Nurgle (500) - General

Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)

Bloab Rotspawned (240)

Units

30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (270)

6 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (440)

5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)

Total: 1790 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 2 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4

Here I am at 1790 w 1 battleline remaining. On the warscroll builder when i put in 40 plaguemonks as my 3rd battleline, it lets me. Is that a mistake? If so, I have 12 Chaos warriors I could use for battleline. 

My question is, I'm essentially running squads, the prince and the drones,  bloab bubble wrapped in Plague bros, and then the kings and big guy. My 3rd battleline sort of shapes the rest of the playstyle. I have one slow squad, one fast hitting squad and then one slow as ****** squad that hurts. The monks are great, as they just take up a lot of room on the board, and their exploding is super fun. When the drones are in a weird spot, they're a good target for the EGUO command ability. 

I could also throw in 5 Chaos warriors to satisfy the requirement and then throw in a plague monk or two for the prayers. (Buffs the drones hella and cant be dispelled or whatever.) 

Soooo Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for taking the time this busy holiday season.

(The real answer is pestigors if we ever get them right???) 

Archived