Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

I hope 2.0 makes the trio mortal rider characters decent, they seldom see play. Its either go small with heroes, or go big (guo, glottkin).

Anyone think with the changes to command abilities that nearly all special characters would get them? Kind of weird that Gutrot has none but the generic foot lords have their own (granted one is basically a ranged attack that isn't a ranged weapon) and the other two mortal riders lack them despite their hefty costs.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case people haven't seen- Maggotkin got top 2 places at London GT (66 players). 

First place list (Darren Watson):

Archaon (General), Plague Squall
Glottkin, Blades of putrefaction
Lord of Blights
Chaos Sorcerer Lord, Carrion Dirge, Magnificent Buboes
Harbinger of Decay

10x Marauders
10x Marauders
40x Marauders

PlagueTouched warband.

Second Place (Maxime Julian)

GUO General, Grandfather's Blessing, Endless Gift, Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Afflictions (Rustfang)
Festus (Blades of putrefaction)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Steed, Plague Squall

4x Pusgoyles
10 Blightkings
5 Blightkings
10 Marauders
10 Marauders

Plaguetouched Warband.

I think somehow this will be of less interest- I only managed to attend the first day, but got two major victories out of 3 games, ~3,400 kill points, with this list:

Glottkin- General, Plague Squall
Sorcerer- Muttergrub, Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume
Daemon Prince

30 Plaguebearers
30 Plaguebearers
10 Blightkings
3 Plague Drones

On 5/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, Injuryprone said:

If nighthaunt is more defensive than Nurgle I will be sad.

:P I dunno, Nurgle pretty much does everything in the game. They're resilient, fast, and they snipe characters really good.

28 minutes ago, Some Tiny People said:

Anyone else think the Plaguetouched warband might get a nerf, given that the Faction Focus article said "Hey, maybe try using something else" and it was in the top two GT lists?

I think so, the battalions in everchosen book  were simply in lower cost, compared to  its effect.  You do have to sacrifice some models to match the dedicated number, but since plaguetouched or bloodmarked is so strong, meh. 

While I don't think it will exceed 180 points, maybe 160 points (I suppose).  Also faction focus said that some units in everchosen and slaves will have less points, so I'm not so worried about it.

At the same time I hope there shall be more battalions for pure slaves, or decrease the points of slaves battalion.

Yea the everchosen god specific battalions for some odd reason dodged the point cost increase bullet that hit nearly all other battalions. Plus they allow any mortal unit to fill in, not just a subset.

So it was more so "mind as well take this 100pt upgrade compared to these restictive 200pt ones" than them being OP.

7 hours ago, Some Tiny People said:

Anyone else think the Plaguetouched warband might get a nerf, given that the Faction Focus article said "Hey, maybe try using something else" and it was in the top two GT lists?

Well the points cost of the battalion is obviously weighted more on the models you're removing from the table before the game starts to get the multiples of 7. I think with almost anything but marauders it's costed fine, but marauders are so cheap that removing 5 from 40, when they're already discounted, means it's very cheap when you're filling the list with marauders. 

New persistent magic spells will have a nurgle specific ability of healing. 

The Emerald Lifeswarm is one of the new endless spells, but rather than kill your enemies, this power heals your forces – a great boon to an already resilient army, such as the Maggotkin.

I'm more interested in the model they release for it than the ability actually. Al though it will help to mitigate glotkins mediocre armor save which I was hoping would have been increased by one in the new battletome..

55 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

New persistent magic spells will have a nurgle specific ability of healing. 

I'm more interested in the model they release for it than the ability actually. Al though it will help to mitigate glotkins mediocre armor save which I was hoping would have been increased by one in the new battletome..

Yeah, I'm finding I can make him survive the game if he stays almost touching my edge of the table, but then you miss out on a lot of his cool stuff- his charge abilities, his ranged attack etc. His command ability is so strong, but you generally don't want him in the middle of the action because he's not that resilient. He got taken out before my first turn in one of the  games in the GT i just took part in. 

7 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Well the points cost of the battalion is obviously weighted more on the models you're removing from the table before the game starts to get the multiples of 7. I think with almost anything but marauders it's costed fine, but marauders are so cheap that removing 5 from 40, when they're already discounted, means it's very cheap when you're filling the list with marauders. 

I hope they don't increase the points cost too much.  For a while now, I have been wondering if I should bring my pusgoyles up to 7.  I'm at 5.

I'm confused about the virulent discharge of Blightkings, Lord of Afflictions and Pusgoyle Blightlords.Is the ability triggering for all units only once or is it more complex?

For example:
I have two units of kings. 1 at on the side of the table and 1 on the other. Both fight 1 unit of enemies.

How I understand it:The first unit triggers and you roll for the enemy unit close to it, itself and for the other kings and the enemy unit close to them
.Then my other unit of kings triggers and you do the same again.

Or does it trigger only once ?

Virulent Discharge:
In your hero phase, roll a dice for each unit (friend or foe) within 3" of any
friendly units with this ability. On a 6+ that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds.
If the unit has the NURGLE keyword, heal D3 wounds allocated to it instead.

Need some clarification :)

21 minutes ago, Kirisute said:

I'm confused about the virulent discharge of Blightkings, Lord of Afflictions and Pusgoyle Blightlords.Is the ability triggering for all units only once or is it more complex?

For example:
I have two units of kings. 1 at on the side of the table and 1 on the other. Both fight 1 unit of enemies.

How I understand it:The first unit triggers and you roll for the enemy unit close to it, itself and for the other kings and the enemy unit close to them

Virulent Discharge:

Only once.

Abilities with the word ANY, do not stack. 

:)

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Wow that’s a low key huge nerf to blightkings! It used to say “a unit”.

very upset about that for such a rarely triggered ability that wasn’t op.

Well considering that blight kings cost only 160 points these days and have access to more buffs/other boosts, I would hardly call it a nerf.

I've been thinking about this a lot. Anything that allows you to get more CPs will be handy, especially if you need to summon early. I think its greatest use in my list is replacing characters which were knocked off or shooting something like a Beast out on a flank where it can cause late game trouble. I really really hope summoning becomes based on such a mechanic, that would rock. 

15 hours ago, grungolah said:

Getting my general painted feels good. I wonder if I can finish painting  the army before the version change lol. 

Have you run all these flies together in a list yet? I've been curious how they would do since day one of the new book. 

10 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Have you run all these flies together in a list yet? I've been curious how they would do since day one of the new book. 

No,  I play painted,  and I'm only up to about 1800 points.   My first game might be in a few weeks. 

BUT!   At the top of this page you will see a list with 4 Pusgoyles and LoA that got second place in a tournament.   

I have questions for that list,  since LoA wasn't the general. 

22 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Only once.

This reads like in his specific example he rolls once for only one enemy unit. In fact, the blight kings are not generating the discharge on the same unit:

22 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

For example:

How I understand it:The first unit triggers and you roll for the enemy unit close to it and itself and for the other kings and the enemy unit close to them
.Then my other unit of kings triggers and you do the same again

Virulent Discharge:

So he rolls for each enemy unit. He's not rolling for each blight king unit (and stacking the discharge on the same enemy unit), just enemy units in range of any bk unit.

I've crossed out the bit from his post that might confuse.

Just wondering if I understand it right myself :)

You are 100% right but the example threw me.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:58 PM, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Only once.

He's talking about two different units of blightkings fighting two different enemy units, not both BK activating on the same enemy unit.

2 hours ago, Injuryprone said:

He's talking about two different units of blightkings fighting two different enemy units, not both BK activating on the same enemy unit.

The example refers to both, so, well, everyone answering is part right it seems lol 

On 5/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, Kirisute said:

For example:

Virulent Discharge:

I apologise for my confusion, it appears that I misunderstood your post. 

Think of it that you roll once for each unit within range of the ability (including the unit with the ability itself) - no matter how many units with the ability are in range, you only roll once for every unit effected. 

Archived