Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

11 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Anyone found any decent guides for painting new Beasts? I was thinking about following this Mengel guide for Plaguebearers:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/20/painting-plaguebearers-with-tyler-mengelgw-homepage-post-3/

Nothing about the tentacles though unfortunately. Any ideas would be amazing. Cheers.

This is Nurgle, so I have thrown normal color matching out the door.   Tentacles are flesh, so I recommend keeping them close to your flesh palette.   I also recommending having at least 2 palettes, one for mortals and one for demons.  People like green flesh for both, but that makes mixing demon/mortal lists less exciting imo.  I actually like 3 palettes so that I can break the monotony of painting mortals.

My 3 palettes are similar (I use cheap craft paints, so adjust accordingly):

Mortal 1: Flesh, washed brown, glazed rose pink (for wounds), cleaned up flesh, highlight bone.

Mortal 2: Dark brown, washed black, cleaned up medium brown, highlight rose pink and leather brown.

Daemon 1(?): Dark grey, washed brown, clean up rose pink, highlight pink.

The only difference between normal flesh and tentacles is that I lean more on the rose pink.  Flaky skin gets more whites, and unblemished skin (like that on Marauders) gets grey and black infection veins.   Daemons and Rotbringers so far have been suitably icky.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, grungolah said:

This is Nurgle, so I have thrown normal color matching out the door.   Tentacles are flesh, so I recommend keeping them close to your flesh palette.   I also recommending having at least 2 palettes, one for mortals and one for demons.  People like green flesh for both, but that makes mixing demon/mortal lists less exciting imo.  I actually like 3 palettes so that I can break the monotony of painting mortals.

My 3 palettes are similar (I use cheap craft paints, so adjust accordingly):

Mortal 1: Flesh, washed brown, glazed rose pink (for wounds), cleaned up flesh, highlight bone.

Mortal 2: Dark brown, washed black, cleaned up medium brown, highlight rose pink and leather brown.

Daemon 1(?): Dark grey, washed brown, clean up rose pink, highlight pink.

The only difference between normal flesh and tentacles is that I lean more on the rose pink.  Flaky skin gets more whites, and unblemished skin (like that on Marauders) gets grey and black infection veins.   Daemons and Rotbringers so far have been suitably icky.

Yeah, some variation is definitely nice. Dunno if anyone’s reading the 4 warlords thing in White Dwarf but all the Nurgle is painted amazingly but absolutely identically and it looks a bit drab. 

11 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Yeah, some variation is definitely nice. Dunno if anyone’s reading the 4 warlords thing in White Dwarf but all the Nurgle is painted amazingly but absolutely identically and it looks a bit drab. 

Yeah lol it's very samey. I guess they have to do a lot fast though.

Going to Nashcon. Taking two list chose per battle which one I use have to use each at least once. Here they are and what the do. Critique away.

list 1

harbinger of decay-general

-resilient

-witherstaff

lord of afflictions

-rust fang

festus (plague squall)

rotigus (glorious afflictions)

10x blightkings 

5x blightkings

5x blightkings 

10x marauders

10x plaguebearers

2x pusgoyle blightlords

plaguetouched warband

this list is for board presence and a quick spear strike. LoA and pusgolyes and harbringer charge up one side. With command ability and witherstaff and plaguetouched and keeping wheel on 5 they are super resilient. Rotigus and festus use plague squall, rotigus spell and keep wheel on 5 turning to 6 every turn to rain d3 mortals wherever I need. Blightkings control midfield and slowly advance. Plaguebearers and marauder cap and hold( prolly home objectives.

list 2 ( strong duality of death focus)

harbringer of decay- general

-witherstaff

-pestilential breath

LoA

-rust fang 

bloab ( magnificent buboes)

rotigus (glorious afflictions)

festus ( plague squall)

Horticulous 

5x blightkings

5x blightkings

5x blighkings

10x marauders

plaguetouched

this list is hero heavy to really play duality of death well. Same rotigus/ festus/ wheel tactic to put d3’s where I need them minimal battle line as they can’t hold objectives, and yes I know bloab isn’t worth his point but ? he is so cool. 

See any glaring weaknesses???

20 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Thoughts on this Rotbringer 2K would be much appreciated ?

Rotbringer2K.pdf

So I've run the Plague Cyst battalion. In my experience it fell short of how it looks on paper.  Double virulent discharge sounds great but just doesn't happen enough to spend the points on it, and I ran 30x Blight Kings ( 6 units of 5 ). Disappointing because I want to use the new battalions but they just don't perform. Of the two, Blight Cyst is better I feel, if you had to choose between the two.

All of my lists of late have been Plaguetouched as it so cheap for what it does. I'm actually running a list this weekend that throws in some Hellstriders as allies ( -2 to hit? yes please! And Glotkinn as well, so if his de-buff goes off I can get a nice -3 to hit bubble)

I digress; I'd say do play testing and see how it works for you, and if you like, run it! 

21 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

Thoughts on this Rotbringer 2K would be much appreciated ?

Rotbringer2K.pdf

It looks like a fun list but spreads itself far too thin. 
The Blight Kings are phenomenal units. Your small units will all get chewed through. Blight kings depend on wearing down the enemy; either through their staying power or hitting unarmored units and shredding through.

Nothing you have is over 5 models and it's a pretty low model count list overall. You're going to struggle hard on many objective scenarios.

With the MASSIVE point dump that Glotkin is, you need to either lean into his investment (more blightkings) or just ditch him. 
The Lord of Affliction and two PG's are good, but those points (500) are valuable. 

Just my thoughts. 

Who wants to toss around random speculation?!? I DO!  I think Nurgle battalions will drop in points. My rationale for this is not only are they a bit overpriced but I think the value of the battalion will go down in AoS 2. They may not be the only thing to unlock additional artifacts anymore (obviously I could be wrong about this) and the first turn mechanics will likely change.  

I really want beasts to come down 20 points to 80 and maybe have a 3 for 200pts horde option. They are the bestest of puppies and I love their models. 

Also the two herald's, the bile Piper and Scrivner.  Need to come down to 80. They are garbage ATM.

I really don't think drones should go up just because of blades. They should do something to blades instead if they want to Nerf that. Not even sure how op it is though anyway. For all the talk here I haven't seen it in many tournament lists seems to always be cyst warscroll based instead.

1 hour ago, Riavan said:

I really want beasts to come down 20 points to 80 and maybe have a 3 for 200pts horde option. They are the bestest of puppies and I love their models. 

Also the two herald's, the bile Piper and Scrivner.  Need to come down to 80. They are garbage ATM.

I agree with these point changes but mass bonus for beasts is useless. Reason for this is the acidic trail ability for beasts, because that ability only activates once per beast unit not per beast model. Because of that beasts should always go solo.

Problem is that you have to balance point of blightlords against drones. So if blight lords go down.. why would you ever take drones.. unless they go down again which why would you ever take blightlords? Even though it would lower their points per model to lower than drones maybe pusgoyles could be min 3 for 300. that way its a bigger investment up front for them but still points efficient. 

22 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

What would people think if GW go the other way, and make it so blightlords become units of min 1, so that you can now use that spare from building a lord of afflictions?

I would dig this. I think more units could benefit from being 1+. 

Who else is refreshing their knowledge of the different Nurgle Command abilities right now?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

These changes are pretty exciting to me. The 'At the Double' command ability will be handy in combination with the trees. Loads of factions are going to benefit from that one. 

I'm just starting to process some of the fun this will provide!

31 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Who else is refreshing their knowledge of the different Nurgle Command abilities right now?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/18/18th-may-rules-preview-command-abilities-and-command-pointsgw-homepage-post-2/

These changes are pretty exciting to me. The 'At the Double' command ability will be handy in combination with the trees. Loads of factions are going to benefit from that one. 

All of a sudden the Lord of Blight got a bit more interesting.

2 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Add an Affliction Cyst, and I'd be torn to decide between "At the Double" and "Forward to Victory"

It will be very interesting using glottkin as hero and harbinger as general, using glott command in maybe 3 turns ?

Lord of affliction and a unit of pusgoyle could be also a good addition to an army for the huge potential of his command used only in a turn for a movement of 20,but still it will cost 440 points for no damage

With warshrine cost probably reduced at 160 I will try something like this

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Lord of Blights (140)
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Foulness: Magnificent Buboes

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
3 x Nurglings (100)
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
1 x Chaos Warshrine (180)
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Blood Blessing: None

Battalions
Blight Cyst (220)

Total: 2020 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

Faction focus slaanesh droped and summoning is going to see a change. Looks like summoning for free ia coming back. Slaanesh now going to have a point system like nurgle and khorne to summon. This could mean tzeentch is geting the same treatment.

My current collection is:
GUO
Bloab
Orgotts
LoP
LoB
Festus
Harbinger
20 blightkings (5 more in box I was thinking of selling)
6 toads
10 plaguebearers
3 drones
3 nurglings
1 beast

If I had money to burn should I get Rotigus or 4 pusgoyle blightlords?

Archived