Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

16 hours ago, Johan Mars said:

Even though My nr 1 chaos god is Tzeentch, with Nurgle close second. I feel more inclined to paint up my Nurgle army atm. 

First of all, I have painted a lot of Stormcasts and Free Guild for a long time. And I feel Nurgle is more different (grittier, more earthly colours) to them paintingwise than Tzeentch.

I also feel there is much better internal balance in the Nurgle army, and more my kind of game play compared to Tzeentch. Anyway, enough of backstory.

I have quite a lot of Chaos models, and some of the Nurgle stuff. And I wonder what is the best way to expand it.

Here's what I have for Nurgle so far.

Glottkin (magnetized so it can be used as a GUO before the battletome)

1 Lord of Plagues

1 Old Nurgle Chaos Lord

2 Nurgle Sorcerors

1 Festus

1 Nurgle Daemon Prince

1  Morbidex/Orghotts/Bloab (magnetized)

10 Blightkings

25 Plaguebearers

20 Nurgle Marauders (can make more, have started to convert poxwalkers)

15 Nurgle Chaos Warriors (painted)

10  Chaos Knights

1 Gorebeast Chariot (painted)

3 Nurglingbases

My first thought is to buy the Blightwar set. As I need a few models for my Stormcast as well. And I get some nice additions into my Nurgle force, more Plaguebearers and Nurglings, Horticulus and  three Blightdrones. Top that with a GUO and Ive bolstered my Force quite well. And I get the Wheel of Corruotion as well.

Only problem with this is that I only get Daemons, and Im mostly interested in mortals really...

What do you guys think? Good plan to expand the army?  Or should I go with Pusgoyle Blightlords? More Blightkings? Can I do any decent lists with this? And what should I look for next? Feculent Gnarlmaws is probably nice to have as well :)

If u are interested in playing nurgle I suggest more kings and 1 pusgoyle box, kings are the best for assemble and painting, I have 25 of them all different and with pusgoyle box u can adapt 2 torsos on the kings easily i will make a fast photo to show

And if u want an harbinger of decay u can proxy it with kazyk of forgeworld for the same price

15239617850973367173712409787460.jpg

15239618068719116597483224670797.jpg

15239618383825047606837329111723.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Riavan said:

Another question. Is the possible small heals and rustfang worth the extra points for a Lord of affliction from that of a demon prince, who seems better in actual combat and movement?

Noting I plan on a straight demon army.

Demon prince doesnt really do a whole lot well except for being cheaper and still being able to move quickly and fly. But offensively speaking his contribution is almost negligible. You expect him do do about 2-4 wounds per wound of combat on a target with 4+ armor. 

I have said this before on this Lets Chat thread, I think Horticulous is a viable option for the drones. No he is not optimal and slightly over costed and cant take artifacts. But he is a TANK with 8 wounds and base 3+/5++ and can benefit from cover. No shooting attack so he can run and always keep up with drones. Provides a source of rend with some decent attacks, and an interesting mechanic to do damage in the move phase (which could pair really well with bloab's spell), he can heal himself or the drones virtually every turn, and can drop a tree within 3" of enemies (just cant be within 1" of enemies or terrain). Same cost as LoA. Not as killy or fast, but provides a different dynamic in defense and tankieness. 

7 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Demon prince doesnt really do a whole lot well except for being cheaper and still being able to move quickly and fly. But offensively speaking his contribution is almost negligible. You expect him do do about 2-4 wounds per wound of combat on a target with 4+ armor. 

I have said this before on this Lets Chat thread, I think Horticulous is a viable option for the drones. No he is not optimal and slightly over costed and cant take artifacts. But he is a TANK with 8 wounds and base 3+/5++ and can benefit from cover. No shooting attack so he can run and always keep up with drones. Provides a source of rend with some decent attacks, and an interesting mechanic to do damage in the move phase (which could pair really well with bloab's spell), he can heal himself or the drones virtually every turn, and can drop a tree within 3" of enemies (just cant be within 1" of enemies or terrain). Same cost as LoA. Not as killy or fast, but provides a different dynamic in defense and tankieness. 

Dude, I think you’re spot on. Horticulous isn’t so awesome that he’s an autoinclude, but that’s mostly due to the fact that he’s just a tad too expensive. Otherwise I think he’s a great pair with drones, and actually brings a lot to the table.

1 hour ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Dude, I think you’re spot on. Horticulous isn’t so awesome that he’s an autoinclude, but that’s mostly due to the fact that he’s just a tad too expensive. Otherwise I think he’s a great pair with drones, and actually brings a lot to the table.

And an awesome looking model to boot!!

Hi guys i have a 1500pts game tonight and would like some comments on my list.

General Harbinger of Decay (160) witherstave pestilent breath

Lord of Plagues (140)

Lord of Plagues (140)

Lord of Afflictions (220)- Artefact :  Rustfang  

Festus The Leechlord (140)

U15 x Putrid Blightkings (480)

10 x Chaos Marauders (60)-Axes- Damned Icon

10 x Chaos Marauders (60)-Axes- Damned Icon

Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 1500 /1500 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 5/6    Battlelines: 2 (3+)    Behemoths: 0/4    Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 115

So the plan is to run the blightkings as a unit of 14 and at the centre with a flanking lord of plagues and the harbinger with witherstaff and festus behind them. The lord of affliction flies around being annoying while trying to give lord of plagues rerolls to hit and rustfanging stuff. Marauders would want to be 28 models but there are no points left for that so hoping 2 units of 10 can at least hold an objective.

Any comments are welcome

Dracan

On 13/04/2018 at 1:59 PM, Amenhotep said:

Seeing those marauder models reminds me that i'll need to get some sorted. I can't say i'm hugely enamoured with the standard models though - does anyone have any clever ideas for kitbashing some more nurgle themed ones out of curiosity?

I don't necessarily want them to look 'full blightking' but certainly a bit more rotten, festering, and a bit bloated perhaps than the standard models (difficult when the stock models are all pretty buff). I'd wondered about using the 40k poxbringers, or try and use bits of them, although the note about them being 'snap fit' was a bit concerning as far as practicalities for straightforward conversion go..

I used the blood reavers from the starter set mixed with all the spares from the blight Kings. 

They are still buff no two ways about it but the mix makes them look like that in between stage of starting to turn into festering weird mofos. For me this is thematic as they haven't quite developed the full blessings of the papa yet. 

They also were quite easy to kitbash as the reavers are quite big and I'm sure with more green stuff you could do even more. 

Hey guys I'm new to AOS and I have a quick question.  I run a Slaves to Darkness army marked as Nurgle and use Allegiance Maggotkin so I can use the cycle of corruption and all the goodies from the Maggotkin Battletome.    If I take a Scorer Lord from STD can I give him a spell from  the mortal Nurgle spell list?  If I can do so does that replace his unique spell on his warscroll or do I get both spells and chose which one I want to cast?

2 minutes ago, cplhicks said:

If I take a Scorer Lord from STD can I give him a spell from  the mortal Nurgle spell list?  If I can do so does that replace his unique spell on his warscroll or do I get both spells and chose which one I want to cast?

Yes if you mark him Nurgle you can choose one of the three human spell, and he knows foul regenesis,  and his "normal" spell too. You only get to cast one per turn though, per his rules, but you have the choice.

21 hours ago, MaxPounder said:

I used the blood reavers from the starter set mixed with all the spares from the blight Kings. 

They are still buff no two ways about it but the mix makes them look like that in between stage of starting to turn into festering weird mofos. For me this is thematic as they haven't quite developed the full blessings of the papa yet. 

They also were quite easy to kitbash as the reavers are quite big and I'm sure with more green stuff you could do even more. 

Thats a Great idea Can You someter photos?

Ive tried to convert pox, but dont like The Result, Im Thinking of proxying gors as marauders do You think People Will complain?

I think blight cyst just became my go to battalion against the idoneth deepkin. It's probably not the greatest, but how would you run it at 1000 points? Would you make the Lord of blights the general, or take a harbinger, or something else? 

I need help with a list. Not trying to make it competitive since I am very new. I just want something fun based on the models I like, but I'd still like it to make sense. My favorite model is horticulus slimux so I'm trying to build around him.  This is the rough draft of the models I would like to play with. It says I only have 2/3 battlelines but I thought blight kings were a battleline as well.

HORTICULOUS SLIMUX (220)

GREAT UNCLEAN ONE (340)

20 X PLAGUEBEARERS (240)

10 X PLAGUEBEARERS (120)

3 X PLAGUE DRONES (200)

3 X PLAGUE DRONES (200)

2 X BEASTS OF NURGLE (200)

10 X PUTRID BLIGHTKINGS (320)

5 X PUTRID BLIGHTKINGS (160)

3 hours ago, austinparisi42 said:

I need help with a list. Not trying to make it competitive since I am very new. I just want something fun based on the models I like, but I'd still like it to make sense. My favorite model is horticulus slimux so I'm trying to build around him.  This is the rough draft of the models I would like to play with. It says I only have 2/3 battlelines but I thought blight kings were a battleline as well.

HORTICULOUS SLIMUX (220)

GREAT UNCLEAN ONE (340)

20 X PLAGUEBEARERS (240)

10 X PLAGUEBEARERS (120)

3 X PLAGUE DRONES (200)

3 X PLAGUE DRONES (200)

You have here Nurgle's Menagerie (240 points?).  Seems pricey, but you get a lot of Gnarlmaws and the list is without a doubt based on your Slimux.

Here you have the Tallyband for 220 points, though you need to add a herald:

HORTICULOUS SLIMUX (220)

GREAT UNCLEAN ONE (340)

20 X PLAGUEBEARERS (240)

10 X PLAGUEBEARERS (120)

3 X PLAGUE DRONES (200)

3 X PLAGUE DRONES (200)

Either one would require sacrificing points elsewhere.  There is a lack of heros in general with this list, but I don't know how big of a problem that is.  

Are Tallybands worth the points? I mean now it's comprised of basically all the units you would normally take anyway, and with the GUO being optional now you can technically save/move some points around if you just want some minor regen on your typical 30 man block of Plaguebearers. Just not sure if the healing is good ENOUGH to make it worth it, but I'd love to hear from someone who has more experience with it. I've only played with it twice, I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from the Nurgle Mortal side of things :P

25 minutes ago, Scrags said:

Are Tallybands worth the points? I mean now it's comprised of basically all the units you would normally take anyway, and with the GUO being optional now you can technically save/move some points around if you just want some minor regen on your typical 30 man block of Plaguebearers. Just not sure if the healing is good ENOUGH to make it worth it, but I'd love to hear from someone who has more experience with it. I've only played with it twice, I'm having a hard time tearing myself away from the Nurgle Mortal side of things :P

It's one more heal/add models on a mountain of heal/add models.  Its on the heroes, its on the terrain, its in the icon bearers.

The good thing about a new player spending points on Tallyband is that they don't need to paint/buy a new model to try it out!  That's how I roll. :D 

52 minutes ago, grungolah said:

You have here Nurgle's Menagerie (240 points?).  Seems pricey, but you get a lot of Gnarlmaws and the list is without a doubt based on your Slimux.

Here you have the Tallyband for 220 points, though you need to add a herald:

Either one would require sacrificing points elsewhere.  There is a lack of heros in general with this list, but I don't know how big of a problem that is.  

This game has so many options. It's overwhelming... lol. What if I really like Slimux, but I'm also pretty set on blight kings?

14 minutes ago, austinparisi42 said:

This game has so many options. It's overwhelming... lol. What if I really like Slimux, but I'm also pretty set on blight kings?

Disclaimer, I'm in the same boat as you! Still gathering models for a list I proposed here.  My model of choice is the Pusgoyles.  :)  

There isn't any warscroll I have seen that intermingles mortal and demon.   I feel its more "you're on your own" if you mix and match.  I don't think  there's any bad choices in your list.   

That said, Blightkings like Gutrot Spume, and some of the Mortal/Rotbringer warscrolls.  You don't have any of those in that list.  It all depends on what is must-have versus filler.  

56 minutes ago, grungolah said:

It's one more heal/add models on a mountain of heal/add models.  Its on the heroes, its on the terrain, its in the icon bearers.

The good thing about a new player spending points on Tallyband is that they don't need to paint/buy a new model to try it out!  That's how I roll. :D 

Hahaha yeah thats fair :P 

On a side note I just remembered that Pusgoyle Blightlords have the Demon keyword. Has anyone tried running them with the GUO "+1 all melee attacks"? they're a bit expensive so IDK if they're worth their points.

50 minutes ago, grungolah said:

Disclaimer, I'm in the same boat as you! Still gathering models for a list I proposed here.  My model of choice is the Pusgoyles.  :)  

There isn't any warscroll I have seen that intermingles mortal and demon.   I feel its more "you're on your own" if you mix and match.  I don't think  there's any bad choices in your list.   

That said, Blightkings like Gutrot Spume, and some of the Mortal/Rotbringer warscrolls.  You don't have any of those in that list.  It all depends on what is must-have versus filler.  

The plan was to kinda just mix and match as opposed to just going with a battalion, because there are just so many models I like that would require me to leave out others if I were to use them to their full potential. I think I should probably look more into warscroll battalions though.

2 minutes ago, austinparisi42 said:

The plan was to kinda just mix and match as opposed to just going with a battalion, because there are just so many models I like that would require me to leave out others if I were to use them to their full potential. I think I should probably look more into warscroll battalions though.

That's easy then, buy what you like.  When you get to 1K points, find a game!   You can add remove models on your way to 2K experienced player.

5 minutes ago, grungolah said:

That's easy then, buy what you like.  When you get to 1K points, find a game!   You can add remove models on your way to 2K experienced player.

I have a little over 1k now and I've played a few games, just trying to figure out which direction to go so I can get to 2k soon.

As of now I have the nurgle daemons start collecting box, a box of blightkings, a beast of nurgle, and slimux.

I think the maggotkin book might be a smart next purchase

6 minutes ago, austinparisi42 said:

I have a little over 1k now and I've played a few games, just trying to figure out which direction to go so I can get to 2k soon.

As of now I have the nurgle daemons start collecting box, a box of blightkings, a beast of nurgle, and slimux

I vote that you pick a leader next.  Either a mortal to expand your Blightkings or the GUO.  That will give your army a direction. :) 

I'm going Lord of Afflictions.

Archived