Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

My plan with the 10 Blightkings was to benefit form the Lords Missile Weapon. A Unit of Ten seem more effective in this way, but i'm also affraid of Map control. So i will split up, as you suggest. Thanks! 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much for thoughts on this! I'll try and go through my thoughts as I can.

Easiest one to reply to is the suggestion about plaguetouched warband. Absolutely it is better. However, it is currently so amazing am 100% certain it will be smashed by the nerf bat soon (much cheaper than other equivalently strong formations). Therefore, I am trying not to build my list around it as it would have to change as soon as this happens.

With regards to the other comments. I had considered blightkings/chaos warriors/marauders debate for the last two battleline slots. 

• 40 Marauders is Bravery 6 (+1 for every 10 models present). Thats low and a problem. But they are quite cheap relative to the investment needed to hammer them on battleshock.
  • 10 Chaos Warriors has slightly less bravery issues, a better save and are 20 points cheaper. This is traded against 1 movement less, half the wounds and a smaller area of board control. Since i probably don't have a mystic shield to spare (bringing them to a 3+ save) and I need to have two units of 10 for battleline. I'm inclined to discount this option to stay as marauders or take kings.
  • 5 Blightkings has no bravery issues, a better save and are 40 points cheaper. This is traded off against 2 movement less, half the wounds and a much smaller radius of board control (which also makes it harder to keep them within 7" of the general). Obviously the blightkings probably fight better as well. If i were to use blightkings instead. I'd swap both marauder units out for two units of 5 kings. This fills the battleline requirements and gives me 80 points to use.  This buys....
    • Another chariot for board control, blocking and objective denial.  
    • Masque of slaanesh as ally? Half movement may become useful in a list like mine?
    • Plague Priest with Tome?
  • Final option is to cut both units of marauders from 40.....down to 10 for minimal battleline here. This leaves me with 280 points to spend on this list and opens a number of options.
    • Beefy characters
    • 10 Nurgle Chosen?
    • 180 point unit (Warshrine?) and 5 Hellstriders for -1 to hit banner (and speed).
    • Many many options

Final comment related to the warshrine. I agree this list is pretty much screaming for one. I guess a fair amount of testing would be needed to determine if the save and 66% chance of the prayer is better than the extra numbers + board control?

Interested to hear thoughts :)

3 hours ago, Aex said:

Hey guys. I'm going to play my first tournament with Rotbringers. What do you think about the following List?

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Lord of Blights (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
- Nurgle Battleline (Lord of Afflictions General)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 88

Named Chars are not allowed. These are all Figures i have. I just could replace the Lord of Blights with a Lord of Plagues. But there are many Shooty Armies expected (Sylvaneth), so the cloud of flies will do a better job, i think. Other Armies will be Stormcast Eternals, Skaven and Fireslayers. 

Are 10 Blightkings ok? Or better split up them into two? 

As @Spiky Norman said you cannot use lord of blights command ability if you go harbinger as general. I would go with the harbinger as general. Provide the big block of blightkings the 5+ extra save. If you can use the lord of blights as a count as lord of plagues that would be nice! A sorcerer with muttergrub would be so great in this army though!

5 hours ago, peasant said:

This is The List im Goin' to try this Week, 1k (960) points:

Plaguetouched

1 lord of blights General, rusted Fang...

1 Festus

1 Sorcerer on manticore

35 Chaos marauders

3x7 chaos marauders

The Plan is  Buff The Big Blob of marauders -2/-2 to hit, re Rolling Saves of 1. Manticore lord is for projectile Attraction so They ignore The lord of blights that is The Key Piece of The list. Festus Will Get blades but Sometimes His Spell Will Be better

Not a legal list. You need 1 Nurgle Hero and 7 mortal units for a PT Battalion.

1 hour ago, Xasz said:

Yes, but you still have only 7 units in total and you need 8 (with at least one of them being a hero)

36 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Also, understrength units can’t fulfil battleline restrictions @peasant. So at least two of the 7s have to be 10s.

Aah Thanks Now I see It!

2 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

I have a beautiful Bloab model. I really want to use him.

is he really playable in matched play though? 

Any list ideas where a sorcerer and a hero aren’t a better choice?

If you give a listen to the Facehammer podcast episode about their preparation for Adepticon, one of them are going through their list which contains Bloab. Usually they are pretty competitive-minded, so I would imagine that Bloab can certainly have his uses.

If I recall correctly, I think the list was something like this,though check the podcast for yourself to make sure:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Great Unclean One (340) (bell+blade)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- Artefact: Rustfang
Festus The Leechlord (140)
Bloab Rotspawned (260)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Contagion
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

17 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

As @Spiky Norman said you cannot use lord of blights command ability if you go harbinger as general. I would go with the harbinger as general. Provide the big block of blightkings the 5+ extra save. If you can use the lord of blights as a count as lord of plagues that would be nice! A sorcerer with muttergrub would be so great in this army though!

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: Flesh Pealer 
Lord of Plagues (140)

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
- Nurgle Battleline (Lord of Afflictions General)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Wounds: 88

I'm struggling with the command Trait and Artefact.

Possibly i give the Artefact to the Lord instead, just to make my opponents choice harder, when focussing a Hero.  I would like a Sorcerer in my List. Questions is... how! I also have a Sorcerer, Nurglings and Beasts of Nurgle available.  

Hello there my fellow Maggotkins

Im going to a tourny next month and by reading on the sideline here on TGA i got alot of inspiration on how to build a list that can gain a frew wins at a tourny.

So far this is what i have put together:

Leaders: 

The Glottkin (420) - General - Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction

Gutrot Spume (140)

Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160) - Artefact : The Witherstave

Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

Units:

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 158

(Also have 3 Gnawlmaws but Wascroll builder wont let me put them in?)

So far i have had great results with Gutrot coming in close and  Drones on the other flank with Prince and Priest giving absolut mayhem to my counterparks. The 60 attacks that makes mortal wounds on a 5 or 6 is a surprise for everyone :D 

But recently i have been up against armies that takes out Glotkinn in turn 1-2 and that makes the army struggle a bit to the end game and i was wondering if i sould replace the Glottkin and Priest with a EGUO for more douable General?

I like to know what you guys think and do you have any tips to where i can improve the army?

5 hours ago, Aex said:

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: Flesh Pealer 
Lord of Plagues (140)

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)
- Nurgle Battleline (Lord of Afflictions General)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Wounds: 88

I'm struggling with the command Trait and Artefact.

Possibly i give the Artefact to the Lord instead, just to make my opponents choice harder, when focussing a Hero.  I would like a Sorcerer in my List. Questions is... how! I also have a Sorcerer, Nurglings and Beasts of Nurgle available.  

Looks good! For artifact either go with endless gift or witherstave on the harbinger. He has the demon keyword, mortal and rotbringer so can have any artifact. For Lord of plagues.. go with rustfang!

2 hours ago, MrSmiley said:

Hello there my fellow Maggotkins

Im going to a tourny next month and by reading on the sideline here on TGA i got alot of inspiration on how to build a list that can gain a frew wins at a tourny.

So far this is what i have put together:

Leaders: 

The Glottkin (420) - General - Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction

Gutrot Spume (140)

Daemon Prince of Nurgle (160) - Artefact : The Witherstave

Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

Units:

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 158

(Also have 3 Gnawlmaws but Wascroll builder wont let me put them in?)

So far i have had great results with Gutrot coming in close and  Drones on the other flank with Prince and Priest giving absolut mayhem to my counterparks. The 60 attacks that makes mortal wounds on a 5 or 6 is a surprise for everyone :D 

But recently i have been up against armies that takes out Glotkinn in turn 1-2 and that makes the army struggle a bit to the end game and i was wondering if i sould replace the Glottkin and Priest with a EGUO for more douable General?

I like to know what you guys think and do you have any tips to where i can improve the army?

You could take them both out and add in a the exalted GUO. He has a 3+ save vs 4+ GUO. Also does WAY WAY more damage. Give him the endless gift and he is ridiculously hard to take down. His command ability is 28" range +1 attack to a demon unit.. so he can tag those drones even if they fly off to target something else. Try to work in a rotbringer sorcerer to have blades of putrefaction on drones!!!

2 hours ago, MrSmiley said:

60 attacks that makes mortal wounds on a 5 or 6 is a surprise for everyone :D

Are talking about the old Loci for drones? Because now they gain one attack on their profile by being close to a demon, no more mortal wounds on 6+ to wound.

9 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Are talking about the old Loci for drones? Because now they gain one attack on their profile by being close to a demon, no more mortal wounds on 6+ to wound.

I normally put Blades on Drones and then make the Priest use his Censer to get +1 to wound.

30 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You could take them both out and add in a the exalted GUO. He has a 3+ save vs 4+ GUO. Also does WAY WAY more damage. Give him the endless gift and he is ridiculously hard to take down. His command ability is 28" range +1 attack to a demon unit.. so he can tag those drones even if they fly off to target something else. Try to work in a rotbringer sorcerer to have blades of putrefaction on drones!!!

I have so far had really good results on Daemon prince going with the staff alongside the Drones to make them alot more double.

As for the EGUO He is a powerhouse but Glottkin adds attacks to all models and the +1 wounds on Plaguebearers is rly good :D I guess Glottkin adds more to the army overall but the EGUO brings both a hammer and an anvil unit to the table ?

Anyway thx for feedback :) 

15 minutes ago, MrSmiley said:

I normally put Blades on Drones and then make the Priest use his Censer to get +1 to wound.

Ok but Blades are 6+ to hit, not wound, so the priest doesnt help them for that specific case. No biggie I just wanted to make sure you were using it right! ;) 

As for Glottkin vs EGUO, EGUO can stay way longer, bringing the hurt all game long. You're right that Glottkin is more of a support role, he just need to be babysit and protected way more than GUO and EGUO. But if you can keep him alive and his spells actually works, he's a really good support.

1 hour ago, MrSmiley said:

I have so far had really good results on Daemon prince going with the staff alongside the Drones to make them alot more double.

As for the EGUO He is a powerhouse but Glottkin adds attacks to all models and the +1 wounds on Plaguebearers is rly good :D I guess Glottkin adds more to the army overall but the EGUO brings both a hammer and an anvil unit to the table ?

Anyway thx for feedback :) 

Well EGUO is only one unit buff.. but the unit you REALLY want to extra attacks on are the drones. They are your hammer unit. Blightkings are good.. especially with an extra attack.. but with SO MANY DAMN attacks.. and blades... the drones are your damage dealer. EGUO has double? the range of the Glotkin's command ability, does WAYYYYY more damage, has a base 3+ save and can still take artifacts and traits. So if your replacing glotkin who is both good support and good damage dealer, and you dont need a TRUE force multiplier (glotkin works better with many units to take advantage of his +1 attack bubble).. than EGUO slides into both those roles nicely. He is WAY more durable than glotkin and CAN put out more damage.. however glotkins damage output is going to be more consistent. 

TLRD: If you swap in EGUO for glotkin, You would be losing the ability to buff multiple unit's attacks and a more consistent damage output, but would gain a much more durable leader who can take artifacts and traits, and still not lose the ability to buff the attacks of the (fast) unit it REALLY matters for.. but at double the range.

47 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

New question can I use and Exalted GUO as the leader of a tally and or does it have to be just a GUO?

It depends on how the requirement is font-ed. If it says a Great Unclean One is required, then any model with a GUO keyword is fine but its its BOLD, than the warscroll "Great Unclean One" is required and couldnt be an EGUO. The old Tallyband required a GREAT UNCLEAN ONE"  dont know if that has changed with the new book.

Yes, as per FAQ. A model does count as being within range of itself.

Does a GUO/EGUO plague wind spell count for himself?

53 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

It depends on how the requirement is font-ed. If it says a Great Unclean One is required, then any model with a GUO keyword is fine but its its BOLD, than the warscroll "Great Unclean One" is required and couldnt be an EGUO. The old Tallyband required a GREAT UNCLEAN ONE"  dont know if that has changed with the new book.

I though Bold Print was key words and non bold was Names of units

Does a GUO/EGUO plague wind spell count for himself?

The plague wind spell is not worded as units within a certain distance, it is units that fall under the 14” line. That line starts at the base of the GUO, therefore the GUO is not under the line. This has been discussed a lot and it just come down to wording. Plague wind will not affect the GUO unfortunately.

Archived