Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

3 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Nice man, glad to hear it. Sounds like a very similar list to one that I would bring. Did you regret not taking the bell on the GUO? How were the Blightkings? Better than the same points of plaguebearers?

all the questions @Aaron Schmidt!

everyone else: any ideas for dealing with the new Death with a mostly daemon army?

Would plague squall and rotigus’ spell work?

They have unlimited range so could be cast out of dispel range?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Nice man, glad to hear it. Sounds like a very similar list to one that I would bring. Did you regret not taking the bell on the GUO? How were the Blightkings? Better than the same points of plaguebearers?

My major realization all weekend was that positioning is key for this army. All the really good spells and abilities are short range, and there is little to no shooting. With this new 'mobile' Nurgle, its important to remember that the movement isn't organic to the army, it comes in the form of buffs. The bell would have helped, but I needed to really change my play-style as well. The Plaugebearers were the problem. I would often turn them into a castle which would more get in the way than anything else. They need to swing on an objective like a door on hinge if you want them to camp as well as affect the enemy. In either case if they jam up any friendly units they are a liability. This comes down to deployment for me. 

Blightkings were great. They need to really be where the action is. If they can get locked with a target, and a herald can put 'Favored Poxes' (2nd best Nurgle spell imho) on that target, they will chew it up. I may change my 10 to a 5 in future iterations to free up some points. We'll see. Their +1 charge is great. I kept forgetting their heal/mortal wound ability, or it didn't matter because their target was dead before I could test for it. 

As an aside, this event was the first one where 'The Burgeoning' amounted to much. It did a decent amount of damage in each game and it was really in people's heads. Some Drones were healed up by it as well. 

Plague Squall was pretty sweet. The only thing that was challenging was having enemy units in LOS, mostly due to my own dumb mistakes. I'd like to run a 2nd mortal sorcerer dedicated to that spell. Blades as a crutch is dangerous. Its hard to cast consistently and players in the know will shut it down if they can. I can see a Bale Wind* being a GREAT way to augment that spell. 

*I also have a sweet 'Bile Wind Vortex' modeling project idea in mind. 

9 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Oh, I did figure out a good way to prevent Blades from being dispelled. The sorcerer can hang out behind the GUO, but still in LOS of the unit that they want to cast Blades on. Chances are that the spell can't be dispelled that way. 

Good idea! But even then, I see this spell as a bonus, cherry on top, because as a 7 with no bonus to cast, you might still not cast it on the turn you want it. If it goes off, kaboom, if it dont, boom. It might even work as a deterrent to some countercharge.

6 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Good idea! But even then, I see this spell as a bonus, cherry on top, because as a 7 with no bonus to cast, you might still not cast it on the turn you want it. If it goes off, kaboom, if it dont, boom. It might even work as a deterrent to some countercharge.

Totally. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Planning on Blades is super chancy if you don't have the benefit of Arcane terrain or a Balewind.

9 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

The nice thing about the Nurgle Sorcerer is that he isn't too expensive and has access to some amazing spells outside of Blades. If you are desperate for the 120 points drop him, but it will never be a bad pick. 

Yeh that’s an excellent point tbh. If I drop poor Slimux from my list and downgrade my DP to a lord on daemonic mount, I can afford two of them, but then it isn’t pure Daemons anymore and I feel bad inside ;)

1 hour ago, Locien83 said:

Would plague squall and rotigus’ spell work?

They have unlimited range so could be cast out of dispel range?

I brought this combo to my last event and it did really well until I faced Nagash, 4 harbingers, 60 zombies, 20 wolves (I think there were 20, but I can't quite remember), 3 vargheists and a vampire on foot.

The combo of Rotigus, plague Squall and the spell to turn the wheel to take advantage of the D3 units within 12" of each other take D3 mortals, worked really well against Khorne and Fyreslayers.

Unfortunately with Nagash I was only able to get two turns outside of dispel range with Rotigus , and doing mortal wounds to Nagash requires an overwhelming number of mortal wounds.    The problem is Nagash has 5++, 6++ vs mortals and he consistently heals wounds.  Also his movement spell that can't be stopped let's him move over 20" to help his unbind bubble and against normal wounds he has a 2+ rerolling 1s because you can't stop him from casting mystic shield.

2 minutes ago, Krieger said:

I brought this combo to my last event and it did really well until I faced Nagash, 4 harbingers, 60 zombies, 20 wolves (I think there were 20, but I can't quite remember), 3 vargheists and a vampire on foot.

The combo of Rotigus, plague Squall and the spell to turn the wheel to take advantage of the D3 units within 12" of each other take D3 mortals, worked really well against Khorne and Fyreslayers.

Unfortunately with Nagash I was only able to get two turns outside of dispel range with Rotigus , and doing mortal wounds to Nagash requires an overwhelming number of mortal wounds.    The problem is Nagash has 5++, 6++ vs mortals and he consistently heals wounds.  Also his movement spell that can't be stopped let's him move over 20" to help his unbind bubble and against normal wounds he has a 2+ rerolling 1s because you can't stop him from casting mystic shield.

It's like you're trying to depress us! ;)

We'll find a way to counter Nagash!

55 minutes ago, Krieger said:

I am sorry ?  ...

I agree with you though.   Nurgle always finds a way ?

I think going after Nagash would only be the last resort for me.

id be taking down the morghasts first and other Heros.

Then try to thin out the chaff with Blightkings and drones.

Nagash by himself would be super scary still but can’t hold all objectives surely 

3 minutes ago, Tasman said:

I'm assuming that this is a scenario? Where is it from? I don't have my GHB and it's literally 2000 miles away atm.

I should have been more clear, its the one of the stages of the Cycle of Corruption. Every unit within 1" of terrain takes a mortal wound on a 5+. If that unit has the mark of Nurgle, it heals a wound. There was a lot of terrain on the boards we were using in that event. The Sylvaneth player particularly didn't like it. 

1 minute ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I should have been more clear, its the one of the stages of the Cycle of Corruption. Every unit within 1" of terrain takes a mortal wound on a 5+. If that unit has the mark of Nurgle, it heals a wound. There was a lot of terrain on the boards we were using in that event. The Sylvaneth player particularly didn't like it. 

Ah. Yes. I do remember that now.... I've been doing nothing but reading all these posts waiting to get home so as to play again. I've only one game in with our new tome.

2 hours ago, Slave2Chaos said:

Any recommendations on combating Nagash, specifically the battalion that allows him to transfer wounds to his Harbinger bodyguards?

Despite killing everything else in his force, Nagash still proceeded to remove unit after unit and shut down my magic.

I have had no luck avoiding the speed and offense of this list so far, but I am starting to think that a battalion ( for low drops to secure 1st turn and allow us to sit on the objective first) and a unit if blightkings with Gutrot Spume is the best option.

Otherwise I haven't been able to spread out enough to avoid Nagash/Morghasts and i am not securing all the objectives early enough.

8 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Just a thought.   We can ally with Khorne.  How about blades of putrification on a unit of skull reapers. (Spell says any friendly unit and does not specify nurgle).  That's two mortals plus normal damage on 6's to hit.   How's that for an 180 Pt hammer??

why bother when you can run blightkings? will do just as good job stay in nurgle and they look awesome also they get the nurgle specific buffs. And they can flank with gutrot and shoot if you want!

I ran my GUO for the first time last night. Went with Bell and Bileblade. Really disappointing performance to be honest. I rolled very badly for spells, even with +2 (with tome of thousand poxes) and it can't really do any damage in combat with those two. It got held down by 20 clanrats for 3 turns. Granfather's joy is fine, but Glottkin's bubble version is so much better. The +3" move is useful, but generally running and charging with the gnarlmaws already gives us really good movement. Not sure it's worth taking a bell over the mega blade.

Any ideas of what spells are best to take with the GUO? It's made me think the Glottkin is still much better. The only advantage the GUO has is the resilience from the 5++ and it's ability to take 1000 poxes and bileblade to give +1/+2 to spells. Granted helping to cast is useful, but bubble buff vs single unit and the GUO's better attacks and longer shooting range and access to the best Nurgle spell in the game makes me want to take it over GUO anyday. (This was my first game, I'll still play it a few more times of course!)

14 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

It's like you're trying to depress us! ;)

We'll find a way to counter Nagash!

Nagash definitely depress me. :(

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

I ran my GUO for the first time last night. Went with Bell and Bileblade. Really disappointing performance to be honest. I rolled very badly for spells, even with +2 (with tome of thousand poxes) and it can't really do any damage in combat with those two. It got held down by 20 clanrats for 3 turns. Granfather's joy is fine, but Glottkin's bubble version is so much better. The +3" move is useful, but generally running and charging with the gnarlmaws already gives us really good movement. Not sure it's worth taking a bell over the mega blade.

Any ideas of what spells are best to take with the GUO? It's made me think the Glottkin is still much better. The only advantage the GUO has is the resilience from the 5++ and it's ability to take 1000 poxes and bileblade to give +1/+2 to spells. Granted helping to cast is useful, but bubble buff vs single unit and the GUO's better attacks and longer shooting range and access to the best Nurgle spell in the game makes me want to take it over GUO anyday. (This was my first game, I'll still play it a few more times of course!)

I think you got the worst avalaible GUO combination.

Bileblade is not good for a piece that made of his resilience (and not casting)  his best skill. The 1000 Tome is good on Poxbringer but i wouldn't drop the Done on my GUO.

Maybe you can try again with this combination: Bell, Flail, Done and Breath. Decent in damage dealing with the 2 weapons, good against large mob with Breath and good on supporting with his Command Ability and the Bell. Obviously his was a Rock thanks to the Done. :)

4 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Maybe you can try again with this combination: Bell, Flail, Done and Breath. Decent in damage dealing with the 2 weapons, good against large mob with Breath and good on supporting with his Command Ability and the Bell. Obviously his was a Rock thanks to the Done. :)

Thanks for the tips- though what's "Done"?

Archived