Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

4 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

What defines Start of Hero phase? Are you allowed to cast spells before that? 

I am asking because it seem that a lot of the nurgle wheels abilities take effect at the start of the hero phase.

Start is before casting basically, so you spin to 5 in your hero phase to have an instant effect for the following combat phase and then in your next turn you mass murder characters and put it to 5 again to 'repeat the cycle' huehuehue.

Also, using the Exalted GUO will be very weird now xD Better put I understand the prince ;) 

image.png.6748de77bbdcd1d4bd76d3380b2312c7.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

a lot of the nurgle wheels abilities take effect at the start of the hero phase.

This should mean that using a caster to set the wheel to 5. Nauseus Revulsion each turn is a really good idea, like Killax said earlier.

Nauseus Revulsion activates in the combat phase instead, forcing your enemy to re-roll wound rolls of 6+. and the next turn the wheel will move over to 6. Rampant Disease and do d3 mortal wounds to d3 enemy units, then you just use your caster to set the wheel back to 5 and repeat.

This means the enemy is re-rolling his 6+ wound rolls AND taking d3 MW's to d3 units, every turn!

1 minute ago, Killax said:

Start is before casting basically, so you spin to 5 in your hero phase to have an instant effect for the following combat phase and then in your next turn you mass murder characters and put it to 5 again to 'repeat the cycle' huehuehue.

Also, using the Exalted GUO will be very weird now xD

image.png.6748de77bbdcd1d4bd76d3380b2312c7.png

Oh.. so you actually get two different wheel effects in a single turn whenever the wheel is on something that takes effect before you switch it. Ouch! Did not see that. 

And eh.. yeah the eguo looks like the littlebrother from a lower resolution. That guy will go i to the fountain. But not for now. Almost done on my 5th garden piece after that I will put the garden on a hold and get back to painting all the lovely new MoN models.

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

So when you use the spell to change the cycle of corruption, the effect happens immediately..effectively giving you two abilities on the cycle of corruption each turn?? Interesting!

Well yes, you can do this in turn 1 basically so you will have your first turn of regular effect and then put it to 5.

Basically it leads to you doing D3 Mortal to 3 units within 12" 4 times and sometimes even 5. Support characters are goners.

1 minute ago, Kmzz0r said:

pointcost for lord of Blight? 140?

That's correct! And it's also 140 for the Lord of Plagues.

While we're at it, all the new Cyst battalions cost 220 - That's Blight Cyst, Plague Cyst and Affliction Cyst.

5 minutes ago, Killax said:

Well yes, you can do this in turn 1 basically so you will have your first turn of regular effect and then put it to 5.

Basically it leads to you doing D3 Mortal to 3 units within 12" 4 times and sometimes even 5. Support characters are goners.

I get it now. However one question remains. Are we sure that we are allowed to use Rampart Disease if no enemies are within 12” of each other?

sincerly

Cutmaster Mortal

2 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

I get it now. However one question remains. Are we sure that we are allowed to use Rampart Disease if no enemies are within 12” of each other?

sincerly

Cutmaster Mortal

Good question but it's all still die rolls before targetting. You can meassure out what can be done and tree placement will also probably help keeping opponents units together... Somewhat. But generally Id say a GUO will draw enough attention or none at all and this large unit meta leaves large footprints too.

So this is what I’m considering as a starter:

GUO

Daemon Prince

Herald

Rotbringer Sorcerer

Scrivener

30 Plaguebearers

30 Plaguebearers 

10 Plaguebearers 

6 Drones

Any thoughts? DP supports the Drones, and the Sorcerer targets them with Blades.

Edit: 2000 points on the dot if I’ve got it right.

I recall that Drones where made cheaper with Chris' review, so if your going to thake them I do think 9 is a fine choice too. One unit of 6 one of 3 seems solid.

I also think I like the Lord of Affliction over the Daemon Prince :) hes no Wizard but offers a lot of great things. 

5 hours ago, smucreo said:

Great! So something like:

GUO - 340

Scrivener - 100

Sorcerer - 120 (or 140 if taking the Chaos Sorcerer)

30 plaguebearers - 320

10 plaguebearers - 120

10 plaguebearers - 120

Tallyband - 220

9 x Drones - 600

Could be an adjusted viable list for the one posted before me right?

Thanks for taking the time!

Chaos sorcerer lord is 160

Phew,  just caught up on like 10+ pages in the forums. So much new stuff!!

Some thoughts:

I am worried the point increases are an unfair nerf, especially to plaguebearers. I suspect GH2018 will have some increases to other battleline units, but Nurgle is getting them now.

Free trees! Surely there will be a tree spam list that locks up objectives. The question is whether it will have Horticulus or not. At 200 points and with Beasts also being expensive, seems the coolest model may not see much play (but I will try!).

Is Rotigus any good hanging back? At 50% to hit, then 50% to wound (worse if he has taken damage), I'm getting an average of 3.5 mortal wounds per turn (I'm new to this, so my math is most likely off). Most smart players will target him with any ranged they have early to weaken the effect.  If you are not whacking things with his Gnarlrod, it doesn't seem to be worth the points.

2 hours ago, Husserl said:

Phew,  just caught up on like 10+ pages in the forums. So much new stuff!!

Some thoughts:

I am worried the point increases are an unfair nerf, especially to plaguebearers. I suspect GH2018 will have some increases to other battleline units, but Nurgle is getting them now.

Free trees! Surely there will be a tree spam list that locks up objectives. The question is whether it will have Horticulus or not. At 200 points and with Beasts also being expensive, seems the coolest model may not see much play (but I will try!).

Is Rotigus any good hanging back? At 50% to hit, then 50% to wound (worse if he has taken damage), I'm getting an average of 3.5 mortal wounds per turn (I'm new to this, so my math is most likely off). Most smart players will target him with any ranged they have early to weaken the effect.  If you are not whacking things with his Gnarlrod, it doesn't seem to be worth the points.

The nerfs/point increases seem fair with the amount of buffs that are incoming.

I think the general strat right now is rotigus sits back and kills heroes, while the rest including maybe another GUO (or 2 hehe) go forward.

Bell for Sure.

Anyway i want to bring you a topic:

Do you All think that the most competitive choice will be daemons, mortals or mixed?

Because to be fair the daemons for me are far weaker right now than the other options.

Also no one talked about bile trolls with m8 that i think is pretty damn strong

28 minutes ago, kozokus said:

The Bell/Blade? or the dammage version?

I feel like it's a mistake to not take the Bell. The +3 Move is so strong for Nurgle it's an amazing support ability. As for the "knife" being able to heal the wound right away is like a free +1 to cast ^^

You deal damages with spells from the back and don't need a combat beast. Even with 2 GUO I'll go with Rotigus and the support load-out.

48 minutes ago, kozokus said:

BTW, what is the consensus on the best kit of the GUO?

The Bell/Blade? or the dammage version?

My opinion still is that it largely depends on your army :) heavy Bearer/Blightking Drones dont really need the additional speed and do like the additional attacks.

Bell/Flail would be my pick for footslogging heavy armies.

44 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Do you All think that the most competitive choice will be daemons, mortals or mixed?

Because to be fair the daemons for me are far weaker right now than the other options.

Also no one talked about bile trolls with m8 that i think is pretty damn strong

Mixed, I dont think the Daemons are weaker whatsoever. If anything I deem them the stronger aspect of the two due to numbers for cost.

Bile Throggoths seem like a cool choice. Points are limited, so again Id favour numbers.

What I clearly see is that the cost for the Blight Trees is fused with the units. Which sucks on paper and outside on Nurgle Allegiance.

In practice however Id say Nurgle Allegiance is one of the strongest there is now. Key to not forget is:

- At some point 4+ Blight Trees will be around. If the battle occurs in your Territory, all good, thats where the trees are.

- Putting the Cycle to 5 over and over again should accumulate in death support.

In general I feel 2K Nurgle plays about 150 points down but makes up for that in game. This is also why Im not sold on the Battalions. Plaguebearers dont really care who starts. 

Archived