Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Yeah, Verminlord could be a hidden gem. I think with that huge move and a bit of resilience from endless gift, I would definitely want him striding ahead significantly increasing the reach of those mid range spells by turn 2 and perhaps grabbing an objective early on too. He doesn’t hit hard but he’s not supposed too he’s more a huge wizard who actually can defend himself pretty well when it comes to it.

I think using him like this would fit thematically too. Yes he’s working with the Maggotkin for the time being, but in the midst of battle he’s out on his own, taking the objectives and artefacts for his true patron -the Great Corruptor! 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haven't played nurgle yet since I am currently in the process of building my army. but I think I'll  stick with rotbringers and mortals, the only daemons might be slimux for more trees and some nurgle beasts.  the new models are all awesome and I started to convert some of the models since, well, they are all mutants :D here are some WIP pictures :)

20180121_221133.png

20180121_220823.png

20180121_220744.png

20180121_220808.png

20180121_220702.png

20180121_221720.jpg

20180121_221653.jpg

On 1/21/2018 at 10:20 AM, Injuryprone said:

What should I spend my last 100 points on?
-beast of nurgle
-nurglings
-chaos warriors
-plague priest

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)

Units
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
3 x Daemon Plague Toads of Nurgle (120)
3 x Daemon Plague Toads of Nurgle (120)

Total: 900 /1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Leaders: 1/4 Battlelines: 2 (2+) Behemoths: 1/2 Artillery: 0/2
Wounds: 80

I'd be tempted to try Nurglings if you're playing on a 6x4 table for the early objective grab/threat.

Killax thank you so much. This is such a boon for our group.. these are fantastic. I printed them out, cut them to size and slid them into MtG card sleeves. I left in a magic card behind to give it a a feeling of a bit more stiffness or substance. 

This will help me keep track of spells, and items, hopefully stop forgetting buffs or abilities!!!

rules question: if an enemy unit is within 7" of two feculant gnarlmaws, how many sickening blossoms (4+ to take a mortal wound) rolls do I make?

6 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

rules question: if an enemy unit is within 7" of two feculant gnarlmaws, how many sickening blossoms (4+ to take a mortal wound) rolls do I make?

The wording is 'unit within 7" of any FGs, roll...' IIRC. That sounds like its a binary thing which would lead to a single roll. Someone with better rule-lawyer-fu than me may have a different interpretation. 

10 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

The wording is 'unit within 7" of any FGs, roll...' IIRC. That sounds like its a binary thing which would lead to a single roll. Someone with better rule-lawyer-fu than me may have a different interpretation. 

Yup it would be one roll then. Im trying to find a way to use these trees better. "board control" only works if you can deincentivize your opponent from walking near or in them. Right now for me, a 50:50 shot of taking ONE mortal wound is no enough. I wouldnt be afraid to approach them. so yeah the run and charge is a nice buff but summoning is going to have to be part of the equation. 

7 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yup it would be one roll then. Im trying to find a way to use these trees better. "board control" only works if you can deincentivize your opponent from walking near or in them. Right now for me, a 50:50 shot of taking ONE mortal wound is no enough. I wouldnt be afraid to approach them. so yeah the run and charge is a nice buff but summoning is going to have to be part of the equation. 

Yeah, for sure. I think they provide a variable cumulative effect throughout the game. They'll occasionally do some mortal wounds, they will allow you to project summoning area, they'll jam up some unit's movement (your own if you aren't careful), they'll occasionally block LOS to things, they'll very likely make run/charging a big part of your plays. I don't think they'll have a huge effect in any one turn with any of these different ways. 

I can see having some right near where a grind combat is going down. Getting 1 or 2 mortal wounds happening on that combat on top of the other damage is nice. If you are getting them where several units are near the trees than you'll start to see those MWs becoming more notable I think. 

2 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

My opponent in my last game was taking  a few behemoth characters. My gnarlmaws stopped him from using them as effectively as he could have simply because of the large bases. I feel it practically won me the game. The fact I was able run n charge and get some additional mw was a bonus. 

This is excellent. I think as we all get games in, the tree's utility will become more apparent. 

5 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

This is excellent. I think as we all get games in, the tree's utility will become more apparent. 

I wasn’t taking a very competitive list either. For me, the rule of cool always supersides more effective options haha. I took the affliction cyst, guo, 6 Drones, 30 pbs and 3 nurgling bases in a 2500pts list. But I loved having so many options and it worked in a 3 way objective game (the comet). I don’t think the affliction cyst would have been very effective in a straight fight though. 

I’m looking forward to more practice with this new look nurgle. 

Any tips on this list?

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000

A list idea I came up with today! 

Leaders
Sorcerer (120)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Great Unclean One (340)
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

Basically I don't think battalions are truly necessary for Nurgle to succeed as they don't really need first turn as they have enough bodies and resilience to soak up initial damage. The Sorcerer provides a nasty combo, Blades of Putrefaction on the 6 model Drone unit, combined with +1 attack from the GUO and then potentially an extra from a daemon being near means they will move fast and deal out in total 108 attacks if my maths is right, dealing mortal wounds on a roll of a 6. This combo can be done again on a 30 man plaguebearer unit also to counter a charge hard.

Two GUOs seems solid to me, one kitted out for casting and support movement while the other just being a beast in combat with solid weapons and mortal wound output from spells, while also being 2 models that prove hard to bring down with their insane wound count and regeneration. Endless gift makes the combat GUO even more of a monster. As for which is best for a general I'm unsure, looking now probably the combat loadout one for pestilent breath command trait to make him even more vicious.

The Blightking unit exists simply because they fit exactly into the points and are a really solid combat unit that can also be the target of Blades.

Let me know your thoughts and any ideas to improve the list!

17 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

A list idea I came up with today! 

Leaders
Sorcerer (120)
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
Great Unclean One (340)
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

Basically I don't think battalions are truly necessary for Nurgle to succeed as they don't really need first turn as they have enough bodies and resilience to soak up initial damage. The Sorcerer provides a nasty combo, Blades of Putrefaction on the 6 model Drone unit, combined with +1 attack from the GUO and then potentially an extra from a daemon being near means they will move fast and deal out in total 108 attacks if my maths is right, dealing mortal wounds on a roll of a 6. This combo can be done again on a 30 man plaguebearer unit also to counter a charge hard.

Two GUOs seems solid to me, one kitted out for casting and support movement while the other just being a beast in combat with solid weapons and mortal wound output from spells, while also being 2 models that prove hard to bring down with their insane wound count and regeneration. Endless gift makes the combat GUO even more of a monster. As for which is best for a general I'm unsure, looking now probably the combat loadout one for pestilent breath command trait to make him even more vicious.

The Blightking unit exists simply because they fit exactly into the points and are a really solid combat unit that can also be the target of Blades.

Let me know your thoughts and any ideas to improve the list!

I like your list, the versatility to buff multiple units, and the idea of using two GUO. Can I ask, do you think the combat GUO is better than Rotigus for your second GUO?

42 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Any tips on this list?

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath 
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- Artefact: Rustfang 
Festus The Leechlord (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000

What's the role of the lord of afflictions? Seems out of place in this list..

11 minutes ago, Yeled said:

I like your list, the versatility to buff multiple units, and the idea of using two GUO. Can I ask, do you think the combat GUO is better than Rotigus for your second GUO?

I'd say so yes, can take extra stuff that Rotigus can't take for the role I want him to perform

44 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Lord of Affliction buffs Drones by activating their Locus and effectively giving them rend with the Rustfang. I have a similar set-up on my list.

Yep. And he can keep up with them. I'm doing the same thing in some of my lists.

This came up in the Tournament Builds and How to Counter Them thread (a good read, btw). The claim was made that a GUO can heal itself with its spell. I don't think that's the case. This is what I said in that thread:

• Using the spell, you pick a point up to 14" away from the GUO and draw a line from the nearest part of the model to that point. Any unit the line passes over suffers d3 mortal wounds unless it's a Nurgle unit, in which case it heals d3 wounds. What I question is, since you start at the edge of the model, the line doesn't actually ever cross over the GUO. Therefore it shouldn't be subject to the spell. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it anyway.

What do the Nurgle players think? Can it heal itself, or only other units?

1 hour ago, Yeled said:

This came up in the Tournament Builds and How to Counter Them thread (a good read, btw). The claim was made that a GUO can heal itself with its spell. I don't think that's the case. This is what I said in that thread:

• Using the spell, you pick a point up to 14" away from the GUO and draw a line from the nearest part of the model to that point. Any unit the line passes over suffers d3 mortal wounds unless it's a Nurgle unit, in which case it heals d3 wounds. What I question is, since you start at the edge of the model, the line doesn't actually ever cross over the GUO. Therefore it shouldn't be subject to the spell. I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it anyway.

What do the Nurgle players think? Can it heal itself, or only other units?

I’ve always understood it to not work on himself. I agree in that I don’t think the guo is in the path of the wind. 

2 guo’s however is another matter Heh heh heh

Archived