Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

18 minutes ago, betterZthanDeaD said:

Cheers Spiky Norman. I know it's a total 'newb' question but I thought I'd check before planning any purchases! ;):D  

Keep in mind this also opens your options to Skaven Clan Pestilens. Although none of the units count as battleline so you will need either plaguebearers or blightkings in matched play. 

As a self proclaimed old guy, what do you think of the feculant gnarlmaw and horticulous ...and the direction of more light hearted "not taking things so seriously" style of art and models GW is movwing towards in terms of nurgle? I am an old guy to (I actually have one of those realm of chaos great unclean ones you mentioned) , and I absoletely LOVE the garden/horticulture theme and the exaggerated style they have been lapping up!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Keep in mind this also opens your options to Skaven Clan Pestilens. Although none of the units count as battleline so you will need either plaguebearers or blightkings in matched play.

Or Marauders or Chaos Warriors from the Slaves to Darkness with the keyword Nurgle :-)

I'm debating whether my lis would benefit from dropping 5 Blightkings and a Plaguedrone unit to take a 30 man Bearer unit, or drop just the drones and take a 10 man Chaos warrior unit. Thoughts? List below.

GUO - 340
LORD OF BLIGHTS - 140 (MUTTERGRUB)
GUTROT - 140
HARBINGER - 160 (LEADER, HIDEOUS VISAGE, CARRION DIRGE)
PLAGUE DRONES - 200
BLIGHTKINGS 10 - 320
BLIGHTKINGS 10 - 320
BLIGHTKINGS 5 - 160
BLIGHT CYST - 220

2 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

if i take a 220 point battalion i need to maximize his efficiency, so i would drop the drones for 5 more kings. also since you have the guo you have little problem running across the board so drones are not that needed imho ^^

I agree, but I feel like I lack bodies to screen important units

I think big units of PBs as screens is shorting them a little. Its good to have some plan-b for them so if you find yourself needing them to punch instead of being punched, they can do that. The rub is that you kind of need some Heralds for that... I think, that is my working theory anyway.  The GUO near them is almost perfect, but the additional buffs a Poxbringer provides is pretty great. Obviously shouty trunk guy is handy too. 

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

As a self proclaimed old guy, what do you think of the feculant gnarlmaw and horticulous ...and the direction of more light hearted "not taking things so seriously" style of art and models GW is movwing towards in terms of nurgle? I am an old guy to (I actually have one of those realm of chaos great unclean ones you mentioned) , and I absoletely LOVE the garden/horticulture theme and the exaggerated style they have been lapping up!

The whole 'Garden of Nurgle' thing is why I think I've always loved Nurgle. He's such a jovial, caring god too! lol The two new Heralds are superb miniatures that perfectly encapsulate the fun side of Nurgle for me. I don't know if I'm totally in love with the Grarlmaw but there is certainly some scope for conversions if it doesn't grow on me (so to speak!). I need to grab a Beast too. I've always loved their 'puppy-dog' nature.

In terms of a 'look' for my army I'd love it to be a bit rag-tag. I've already got a Plague Priest model that a friend gave me (he's been trying to get me into AoS for ages and he knows I used to collect Skaven back in the day too) and I'd love to team him up with a Great Unclean One and some Blight Kings.

OK. Had my first game with the new battletome. 2000 pts v bloodbound. I took:

GUO w/ bell and blade, Grandfathers blessing (unused)Tome of 1000 poxes, Favored poxes [general]

Sorcerer w/ Muttergrob, Blades of putrefacation

Poxbringer

Gutrot

Lord of Blights

3x5 blightkings

30 plaguebros

Jabberslythe [ally]

Blight cyst

He never knew what hit him. Turn one charges by 2 units of kings and the PBs, Gutrot showed up in back of his force with 5 kings to divide his attention.

The buffs were great.... think next time I'll take Pestilent breath. Kept the wheel on the 5-6 shenanigans the whole game. Re rolling his 6s really annoyed the cr@p out of him.

By the end of turn 4 I had 4 trees..... there was literally NOWHERE on the table that I couldn't reach but by that time his army was finished.

I did lose all3 units of kings, but not before they had pretty much wiped out 1/2 of his force. 

The PBs did what I expected. Killed two 30 man units of blood reavers completely. I lost one of them.

I made a few mistakes.... there's a lot to remember and you have to be careful as to the sequencing of some of the stuff.

Overall, it was a good game and even my opponent didn't seem too put out by what was happening to his army. It was quite entertaining.

Just realised the Lord of Afflictions Plague Vector ability re-roll 1s to hit affects all Rotbringer units, so like the Lord of Plagues it’s great with head hurling Blightkings but also he could buff the Glottkin! Re-rolls would be great on Ghurks  tentacle and all the attacks in fact. And anything that increases the chances of the pestilent torrent hitting has got to be good.

6 hours ago, Avvien said:

Great report!

How well did the Jabberslythe do?

Strangely, the jabber didn't do too much. He was trying to avoid it so I guess in a way he was effective; "herding' his troops away from it. At the end it was the Jabber that finished off his mighty lord of Khorne, so that was kind of cool. I'm going to bring it again in the near future.

Also, I'm thinking that I'm going to make the Lord of Blights the general so as to stack his command ability on those nasty PBs for a very respectable -4/-2 to hit. [depends on opponent, of course. Could be used on a big unit of kings as well....]

Like all new tomes the Maggotkin are going to be tabling a lot of armies..... for a while. Then people will find out the weaknesses and learn to exploit them. Even though I haven't played them yet, I think that this army is going to struggle against magic heavy Tzeentch lists and big shooter lists of fyreslayers or sylvaneth. As I said, this was my first game so I'n not really sure how it's going to fare against other forces. It seems very well suited to take on bloodhound imo, and should be able to stack up pretty well against most other armies. Looking forward to some fun games in the future.

5 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Yeah great report . More of these please. Have yet to have ny first game with the Maggotkin and I find building a list very hard because of that. 

All I can say is that the PBs are as good as ever and the kings even better than before. The only real problem with kings is that so far, it's difficult, if not impossible to give them+1 to hit.Anyhow  I haven't found a way to do it. That would be the icing on the cake.

Blight cyst is dope. Gutrot and his crew work well for distraction/sniping/objective grabbing, and the different heroes all have good abilities and are [mostly] pretty resilient.  I haven't even scratched the surface of all the different stuff I can bring. My shelves are bowed from the weight of Nurgle minis! :D This is going to be fun for a while....

Guys, weigh in here. Got people on facebook posting lists with Gaunt Summoners etc, but keeping Nurgle allegiance, arguing that, as it specifies we cant ally with StD with tzeentch keyword but can with everchosen, we can take one. I disagree but just hoped you guys would have more concise arguments.

25 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Guys, weigh in here. Got people on facebook posting lists with Gaunt Summoners etc, but keeping Nurgle allegiance, arguing that, as it specifies we cant ally with StD with tzeentch keyword but can with everchosen, we can take one. I disagree but just hoped you guys would have more concise arguments.

Well yeh technically it is true. We can ally with everchosen, so he is allowed. It’s a bit of an oversight though. The only non-Tzeentch stipulation is for slaves as allies. Silly, but there you go.

22 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Well yeh technically it is true. We can ally with everchosen, so he is allowed. It’s a bit of an oversight though. The only non-Tzeentch stipulation is for slaves as allies. Silly, but there you go.

Fair enough. I can see those players being refused games anyway :P 

Ok, say I wanted a 1k game with a GUO because it's fun...

My list would be

GUO

20x Plaguebearers

10x Plaguebearers

3x Plague Drones

3x Nurglings*

Now, am I better with those nurgling bases, or one of the new Heralds? I don't care for 'maximum efficiency' but I am just interested in whether there is some more synergy to be had with a Scrivener or a Bilepiper -  I am interested in people's opinions here!

Edit: to clarify sorry, I am making this list from what I own, hence it's only 30x plaguebearers available. I am aware I am probably better off with more of them, I just don't have any more to use right now!

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Yeah.

The ally-system kind of checks for matching keywords,  one match is enough to be eligible. Except for these rare cases in brackets there is no "keyword exclusion table" ergo it doesn't matter if the unit has one or more keywords that are not listed as allies, as long as there is at least one match.  Gaunt Summoners are pretty much the prime example for this. (e.g. Tzeentch is not part of the legal allies for Khorne but Everchosen is, so everything is fine)

Due to the GHB2017 being out for months and GW not ruling it otherwise, it's somewhat save to assume that it is intended.

On a different note, Gaunt Summoners have nothing to do with Slaves to Darkness and one running around with some other chaos dudes makes perfect sense lore-wise. (searching for suitable champions for big daddy Archaon or doing his bidding in supporting a battle.)

54 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Yeah.

The ally-system kind of checks for matching keywords,  one match is enough to be eligible. Except for these rare cases in brackets there is no "keyword exclusion table" ergo it doesn't matter if the unit has one or more keywords that are not listed as allies, as long as there is at least one match.  Gaunt Summoners are pretty much the prime example for this. (e.g. Tzeentch is not part of the legal allies for Khorne but Everchosen is, so everything is fine)

Due to the GHB2017 being out for months and GW not ruling it otherwise, it's somewhat save to assume that it is intended.

On a different note, Gaunt Summoners have nothing to do with Slaves to Darkness and one running around with some other chaos dudes makes perfect sense lore-wise. (searching for suitable champions for big daddy Archaon or doing his bidding in supporting a battle.)

I'm sure that's true, but it's still a little on the anti-thematic side.

Frankly I'd rather have another Nurgle Wizard anyway. I want more access to the lore spells, including redundancy on setting the cycle where I want it each turn.

19 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

Or Marauders or Chaos Warriors from the Slaves to Darkness with the keyword Nurgle :-)

According to the updated Azyr app Plague Monks are now a battline option for the Nurgle allegiance.

I could see such an error happening to a new unit being added to the app, but it seems odd that they would do this on accident to an already existing unit entry.

Archived