Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

56 minutes ago, LLC said:

You guys can't use the command ability to add to the shooting, it says melee weapons. 

can't use the command ability to add to the shooting but GUO is a nurgle daemon hero so gives +1 attacks to all weapons if in 7"

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re trees... I think they have some interesting play values which makes summoning several of them valid play:

• Run & charge
  • Potential mortal wounds on opponent
  • Block LOS to small units/single models
  • Maybe slow down units by messing up their formations?

I realized that I had been playing contagion summoning wrong. I had it in my head that I could only summon one item a turn. If I am not mistaken, there is nothing keeping you from summoning several trees a turn. I think they have some utility. 

I'm going to experiment with having like 200-300 points in a summoning pool to see how I like it. The big thing that kept me from messing with summoning before was the fact that it had to be done via a spell. I could see dispels or bad rolls locking reinforcement points out of the game, let alone using up a wizards spell action. If you can grow your help out of the diseased loam without any magic than it becomes a little more feasible. I figure that either recycling speedbump Nurglings or do a 'Surprise Nurgle-beast' in a choice spot could have some utility. 

8 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I can't find the rules to make the gnarlmaw trees appers and by who...

In the beginning of the rules section in Maggotkin there is a bit about summoning and contagion points. Essentially you start with one free tree, and can grow more near existing trees or Nurgle Heros. They cost contagion points and follow similar summoning rules to units. 

I really wish they had dropped the Reinforcement point requirement if contagion points are used. It would actually make summoning daemons through the Garden of Nurgle fun. As is I think most people will forgo summoning anything other than  gnarlmaws, which eliminates one of the major aspects of the Nurgle allegiance abilities.

Summoning is a mechanic broken in both matched play and open/narrative play. On the one hand it's very limiting and in the other it's completely unfair and goes crazy fast. The contagion point system theoretically fixes the open/narrative play issue, but it does nothing to fix the matched play issue so long as reinforcement points are required. Especially since you would need to pay full price for a unit of, say, 10 plaguebearers even when summoning fewer than 10.

6 minutes ago, Yeled said:

I really wish they had dropped the Reinforcement point requirement if contagion points are used. It would actually make summoning daemons through the Garden of Nurgle fun. As is I think most people will forgo summoning anything other than  gnarlmaws, which eliminates one of the major aspects of the Nurgle allegiance abilities.

Summoning is a mechanic broken in both matched play and open/narrative play. On the one hand it's very limiting and in the other it's completely unfair and goes crazy fast. The contagion point system theoretically fixes the open/narrative play issue, but it does nothing to fix the matched play issue so long as reinforcement points are required. Especially since you would need to pay full price for a unit of, say, 10 plaguebearers even when summoning fewer than 10.

Yeah, I think that summoning is very limited due to the points cost. Its a bandaid to keep the concept in the game. I think it has some utility, but just not super obvious, or powerful ones.  The ease of list building in AoS is nice, but the lack of granular point values is a drag for the reason you mentioned. I suppose you could summon 5 PBs in a pinch if you needed to, but I imagine that will be pretty rare. 

Rules question Re. Blades of Putrefaction spell on Blightkings:

When Blightkings roll sixes with thier Blighted Weapons ability it causes D6 hits.

The Blades of Putrefaction spell causes mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6.

Does this mean Blight Kings cause D6 mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6 when affected by this spell? 

I would think yes, or I would certainly like it to do that!

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Rules question Re. Blades of Putrefaction spell on Blightkings:

When Blightkings roll sixes with thier Blighted Weapons ability it causes D6 hits.

The Blades of Putrefaction spell causes mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6.

Does this mean Blight Kings cause D6 mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6 when affected by this spell? 

I would think yes, or I would certainly like it to do that!

Thanks!

I think that the mortal wound kicks in on damage rolls of 6, iirc

Thought I'd add my two-cents on the battletome by podcast ;)  In AoS Shorts style it is hopefully "just what you need to know" in 20 minutes or so.

In the show I cover the overall playstyle for the army, allegiance abilities and propose some likely army builds. Now, as this all early days, I don't pretend this authoritative, but instead is more some initial impressions on the release.

The show is on iTunes, Podbean, and the full show transcript, army lists, links and further resources can be found here: https://aosshorts.com/maggotkin-of-nurgle/

I'd be really interested to hear what you guys think.

1 minute ago, Antipodean7 said:

Thought I'd add my two-cents on the battletome by podcast ;)  In AoS Shorts style it is hopefully "just what you need to know" in 20 minutes or so.

In the show I cover the overall playstyle for the army, allegiance abilities and propose some likely army builds. Now, as this all early days, I don't pretend this authoritative, but instead is more some initial impressions on the release.

The show is on iTunes, Podbean, and the full show transcript, army lists, links and further resources can be found here: https://aosshorts.com/maggotkin-of-nurgle/

Hey, I listened to this today. The main takeaway for me as a noob entering his first GT was to choose command abilities, artefacts and spells that play to your strengths and not ones that you think fix your weaknesses. Really useful point!

2 hours ago, Antipodean7 said:

Just listened, great info thanks! 

I happen  to have a large number of chaos knights and like the idea of the one drop Plaguetouched Warband, I'm just wondering if I could use that with Maggotkin allegiance as that battalion is under the everchosen battlions? 

14 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

no need. it becomes nurgle if all units are nurgle alligience. 

Ok cool, so I'm general you can use a warscroll battalion as long as you meet the requirements even if it's not in a certain battletome or against the allegiance in azyr etc. 

3 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I thought I would bring something up that didn't occur to me until just now..  but the harbinger of decay has mortal, rotbringers and demon keyword..meaning he can choose any command trait and artifact out of all lists.

as does the lord of affliction, and he doesnt need to be the general for the ward

Just now, sal4m4nd3r said:

Yes but the benefit of the harbinger is that it's a ward save bubble..so I don't understand the comparison.

as he always gets it. where ever he is. if you need someone to ferry around rustfang there isnt many better choices 

6 hours ago, Yeled said:

I 100% agree.  I think they should have just not allowed Contagion Points (and Blood Tithe) to summon greater daemons, and waived the reinforcement points.  It could have been a way to make summoning more worthwhile.  As it stands IMHO summoning is even worse in Maggotkin because you need to not only accumulate enough Contagion Points to summon but also set aside points.  The combination is almost never going to be worth it.

Archived