Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

2 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

So what are your guys' thoughts on a plaguemonk bomb list as a gimmicky shenanigan

Leaders:
Glottkin, General, Blades of Putrefaction lore - 420
Great Unclean one, Bell/Blade, Glorious Afflictions lore, Endless Gift - 340

Units:
Plaguebears x30, battleline - 320
Putrid Blightkings x5, battleline - 160
Putrid Blightkings x5, battleline - 160
Plaguemonks x40, Blades and staves - 240

Artillery:
Plagueclaw - 180
Plagueclaw - 180

Pregame
Plant tree near the center of  the field, set up so as many units as possible can get the bell buff

Turn 1: hero phase
Glottkin casts fleshy and blades on plaguemonks , GUO casts foul regenesis to set cycle to 1 for +2 move for nurgle units and Glorious Afflictions to slow down biggest problem on enemy team, Plaguemonks use contagion banner. 

Movement phase
Plaguemonks run 12-17" to set up for charge keeping one model near tree for the run and charge. Glottkin Positions to be within 14" of plague monks post charge, Plaguebearers run 10-15" to set up on objective, blightkings move to other objectives with GUO.

Shooting Phase
2 claws shoot

Charge Phase
plaguemonks charge to tie up as many units as possible

Combat Phase
Each of the 40 plaguemonks have 6 attacks that do an addition mortal wound on a 6+ to hit. About half of the attacks hitting on the 4+, then a 4+ to wound with the 4 blade attacks and 5+ to wound with the 2 staff attacks with both having 6+ grants rend and 1/6 chance to do an additional mortal wound.  If you got every monk in somehow, it would do 43.33 mortals, 20 attacks with rend and 33.33 attacks without rend on average

I know the lack of battalions would mean this list would never get to choose to go first,  any of the spells/charges failing would pretty much gimp you and any long range attacks against the monks on the first turn would dwindle their numbers fast but still seems like a fun way to ****** off your opponent by doing  over 50 damage on the first turn if you somehow pulled it off.

Seems like fun...... IF, as you say. everything goes perfectly (not in my lifetime, but....) It's only gonna work for one turn though. So if your opponent survives long enough to hit back those monks are going to evaporate and then it becomes a different sort of game. But I sure like the idea it. All out assault from the get-go. Fun stuff and a whole new slant on Nurgle- out Khorne-ing Khorne, as it were.B|

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the book! What are the lists you are building guys? I'm trying to refine mine but will post it once I finish it!

One question about artifacts though, as I read it you can only grab one artifact for one of your heroes in your army, and then more if you include any formations. A friend of mine though says that you can grab multiple, and that the book states that you can grab one for each type of hero. Meaning I could grab one for a daemon hero, one for a mortal hero, and one for a rotbringer hero. Can someone help me clarify this? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Just got the book! What are the lists you are building guys? I'm trying to refine mine but will post it once I finish it!

One question about artifacts though, as I read it you can only grab one artifact for one of your heroes in your army, and then more if you include any formations. A friend of mine though says that you can grab multiple, and that the book states that you can grab one for each type of hero. Meaning I could grab one for a daemon hero, one for a mortal hero, and one for a rotbringer hero. Can someone help me clarify this? Thanks!

1 artifact.

1 more per battalion.

This is what I had in mind:

I wanted to build a list using the 2x30 Plaguebearer bomb. At the same time, I feel the Drones are going to be really good if properly supported. Both units have their respective locus abilities, so I have to keep them in mind and try to include Daemon Nurgle Heroes to have them activated all the time if possible. Without having played any games, I feel the drones ability may be harder to proc without a mobile hero to keep up with them. For the bearers the option is easier, a herald in between them or even the GUO will easily keep it active.

The sorcerer is a no-brainer, but interestingly influenced my decision to pick one or the other herald. Since I believe the Wheel of Contagion is there to be manipulated each turn (setting the clock back to five so that each turn the opponent has to re-roll 6s to wound and takes mortal wounds when the clock hits 6) I need to keep in mind who will cast it. Although it's true that the GUO himself can cast 2 spells, I feel his size leaves it susceptible to unbindings, and as such I'd much rather have either the Poxbringer or the Sorcerer cast the wheel spell behind some guys so that the view is blocked. Since I'd like the Sorcerer to be able to cast the great spells he gets from the Rotbringer lore, this leaves me with two options, either I grab the Muttergrub artifact on the sorcerer and I keep the Spoilpox to further buff my bearers or I choose the Poxbringer so that I have another wizard, leaving the artifact available for my GUO. In my mind both options are valid, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Last but not least, the Lord of Afflictions. He goes with the flies, keeps the locus active. He also hits hard and can offer some re-rolls to the unit of Blightkings (there to fill battleline to be honest). Support for Blightkings also comes in the way of Blades of Putrefaction, which I have on my Sorcerer (further pushing his roll as a support caster in this list).

I've included images so you can easily check out both options. As said before, I'm open to criticism so feel free to speak your mind!

EDIT: the GUO carries a bell.

option 1.png

option 2.png

Not sure if this is the correct place to mention this but I'm reading the Rotbringer fluff in the new book and it mentions 'pestilential brayherds'

strange that pestigors exist in the fluff even in the Maggotkin tome and yet no rules or models for them are forthcoming. Might model some and use them as plague monks or something.

4 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to mention this but I'm reading the Rotbringer fluff in the new book and it mentions 'pestilential brayherds'

strange that pestigors exist in the fluff even in the Maggotkin tome and yet no rules or models for them are forthcoming. Might model some and use them as plague monks or something.

Maybe when brayheards get done

16 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Atia seemed pretty convinced that pestigors were on their way. Perhaps a future update/release.

2 hours ago, smucreo said:

This is what I had in mind:

I wanted to build a list using the 2x30 Plaguebearer bomb. At the same time, I feel the Drones are going to be really good if properly supported. Both units have their respective locus abilities, so I have to keep them in mind and try to include Daemon Nurgle Heroes to have them activated all the time if possible. Without having played any games, I feel the drones ability may be harder to proc without a mobile hero to keep up with them. For the bearers the option is easier, a herald in between them or even the GUO will easily keep it active.

The sorcerer is a no-brainer, but interestingly influenced my decision to pick one or the other herald. Since I believe the Wheel of Contagion is there to be manipulated each turn (setting the clock back to five so that each turn the opponent has to re-roll 6s to wound and takes mortal wounds when the clock hits 6) I need to keep in mind who will cast it. Although it's true that the GUO himself can cast 2 spells, I feel his size leaves it susceptible to unbindings, and as such I'd much rather have either the Poxbringer or the Sorcerer cast the wheel spell behind some guys so that the view is blocked. Since I'd like the Sorcerer to be able to cast the great spells he gets from the Rotbringer lore, this leaves me with two options, either I grab the Muttergrub artifact on the sorcerer and I keep the Spoilpox to further buff my bearers or I choose the Poxbringer so that I have another wizard, leaving the artifact available for my GUO. In my mind both options are valid, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Last but not least, the Lord of Afflictions. He goes with the flies, keeps the locus active. He also hits hard and can offer some re-rolls to the unit of Blightkings (there to fill battleline to be honest). Support for Blightkings also comes in the way of Blades of Putrefaction, which I have on my Sorcerer (further pushing his roll as a support caster in this list).

I've included images so you can easily check out both options. As said before, I'm open to criticism so feel free to speak your mind!

EDIT: the GUO carries a bell.

option 1.png

option 2.png

This is very similar to what I've been looking at, just can't resist those buffed up drones. I've gone for the batallion for the 2 drops and the extra item but my main concerns are having heroes keep up with the drones and the sorcerer being picked off

Screenshot_20180113-131324.jpg

10 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

This is very similar to what I've been looking at, just can't resist those buffed up drones. I've gone for the batallion for the 2 drops and the extra item but my main concerns are having heroes keep up with the drones and the sorcerer being picked off

Screenshot_20180113-131324.jpg

Can room be made for a Daemon Prince to move with the drones? 

5 hours ago, Tasman said:

Seems like fun...... IF, as you say. everything goes perfectly (not in my lifetime, but....) It's only gonna work for one turn though. So if your opponent survives long enough to hit back those monks are going to evaporate and then it becomes a different sort of game. But I sure like the idea it. All out assault from the get-go. Fun stuff and a whole new slant on Nurgle- out Khorne-ing Khorne, as it were.B|

well if the fleshy abundance spell goes off, they would have 2 wounds each thus disappear half as fast as normal. So they might tie up a some stuff for a turn or 2 while the rest of your army gets in position and the catapults pelt some stuff.  Also, as much as i hate the "these guys got hit so hard some guys over here felt it" aspect of allotting wounds to models, you could remove models in a way that gives your opponent less activations.  Then if the group you play with allows multiple banners/musicians types, you have the icon of pestilence to get some extra value out of your dying models and the doom gong to interfere with the charges 

You invested a turn of buffs and 240 points into them so their goal is to do at least 240 points of damage and at least one turn of disruption. After they start dying off,  hopefully the plaguebearers can get into position so you can buff them with fleshy, blades and mystic shield.

I caved and got the GUO. I'm aiming to magnetise everything, but after my first read through, I'd say the massive bilesword and bell are a really nice combo. Give it Muttergrub for 3 spells a turn, would be a great core of an army, with the +3" move from the bell. Though it seems most of the artefacts and command traits are fantastic. 

All wrong. Nothing to read here, move along. 

Just now, hughwyeth said:

I caved and got the GUO. I'm aiming to magnetise everything, but after my first read through, I'd say the massive bilesword and bell are a really nice combo. Give it Muttergrub for 3 spells a turn, would be a great core of an army, with the +3" move from the bell. Though it seems most of the artefacts and command traits are fantastic. 

The way I read it I don't think the sword and bell can combo.

also muttergrub is a rotbringer artefact daemons can't take it. SOrry

1 minute ago, hughwyeth said:

The massive bilesword and the bell are both right handed weapons sadly. 

7 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

Anyone got any good sources of alternate nurgle minis? I've looked at Mierce and Heresy and there's some good ones there, especially for nurgle daemon princes and spawn.

Want to celebrate Nurgley life in all it's squirmy variety!

Sorry don't know some models, but most people use some plaguedrone wings on the Prince and sometimes the head of a drone. You can also model some greenstuff on the prince and make it so that he looks bloated.

Spawn on the other hand are tzeentch only now, since the disciples of tzeentch battletome. Maybe someone knows more about that.

BTW.: I have about 60 old Plaguebearers, but they are on 25mm bases. Do i have to rebase them? Since there are no rules in aos which bases my figures have to be on, i think 25mm should also be allowed even on tournaments (as they often say models, should be played on the bases they come with).

unless the scroll has been updated the spawn for slaves of darkness, it should be able to be taken as it can be assigned the nurgle keyword. 

however the cursed for the dark gods leaves me confused as could it be given the nurgle keyword before the battle or is it like varenguard in which it is assigned only if archaeon is present. 

5 minutes ago, FRoper said:

unless the scroll has been updated the spawn for slaves of darkness, it should be able to be taken as it can be assigned the nurgle keyword. 

however the cursed for the dark gods leaves me confused as could it be given the nurgle keyword before the battle or is it like varenguard in which it is assigned only if archaeon is present. 

It's Tzeentch now. Always 

Archived