Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I was the local game shop today, I decided to get a little jump start on my coming Nurgle army with a Daemon Prince that tried to convert to be a bit more Nurgley with some bits from the Start Collecting Nurgle box I got a few weeks ago. I used a head from the plague drone with a horn from one of the normal daemon heads stuck on asymmetrically.  Cut the end of the tail off and replaced it with one of those long mouth things from the plague drone and stuck the end of the tail on to the leg where it will be painted as a tentacle. Use a piece of one of the banners from from I believe the the plague bearers as his "loin cloth". And then of course there are the obligatory nurglings. Probably still got some filing/shaving on some of the rough edges and maybe figure out how green stuff works, but I think it turned out okay for one of my first "real" conversions beyond a simple head swap.

IMG_20171230_180612238.jpg

The white dwarf scans leaked make nurgle seem pretty interesting! The tree gives run and charge within 7" and we have some kind of summoning allegiance ability where we earn points based on where our units are (points for in our territory, points for in their territory, points if no enemy models near our tree)

6 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Dam auto correct. Sorted

Me trying to understand how your phone offered you maggot kin as an auto correct option instead of something like "major kind" 

?

I guess I need to type more nurgley text with my phone! I'm new I'm papa's embrace 

So, I've been working out some ranges.

With this tree and a guo,  without any battalions I belive we can do some incredible charges. 

Blightkings move 4" nurgle wheel adds 2", guo with bell adds 3" the tree allows us to run and charge so d6+1 and 2d6+1.

So that's.

4"+2"+3"+d6+1"+2d6+1" max = 29".

Going off averages that is a 9" move + 5" run plus 8" charge. 22" total, if you high roll the run, you should be within range to declare a charge if deployed on the line

Chaos knights move 10" these can most definately threaten a first turn charge. 

Nurgle is no longer super slow

Exact! Plus the more Chaos factions being put on BoK levels of design the better really. One crux within DoT is that I still feel that many of their units are costed to high because for Matched play one has to keep their Allegiance Abilities in mind. The end result is that their competitive spectrum becomes very narrow and because of the amazing fate dice there is very little wiggle room for designers to go about it in a different manner.

What I'm eager to figure out is how Nurgle has two Battle Traits (or so it seems from the WD). On the other side, the Cycle of Decay is random so I do fully get a little boost in the right direction for them also.

One of the things I think is common with any Chaos army soon is that all seem to be able to set up a particular melee bomb. I am very happy Nurgle is included in this now aswell and in general I believe that slowness will still be a factor for them but they are able to overcome it through magical hero sniping, attrition and indeed speed bumps like this. All in al I think it will be a very good experience for any Nurgle player wanting to go to a tournament.

What's one thing to keep in mind for new Nurgle players is that as with DoT and BoK mono-specific allegiances arn't the best choice usually since your missing out on some essential synergy. It applies for both Tzeentch and Khorne so I think we will see it here too. What I mean by that is that I deem it very likely that the Rotbringer spell list might be more ideal as the Nurgle spell list, GUO's being great generals and Plaguebearers being great infantry but there likely will still be a need for the output that Rotbringer infantry and cavalry will offer. 

Mix and profit!

3 hours ago, Arkiham said:

So, I've been working out some ranges.

With this tree and a guo,  without any battalions I belive we can do some incredible charges. 

Blightkings move 4" nurgle wheel adds 2", guo with bell adds 3" the tree allows us to run and charge so d6+1 and 2d6+1.

So that's.

4"+2"+3"+d6+1"+2d6+1" max = 29".

Going off averages that is a 9" move + 5" run plus 8" charge. 22" total, if you high roll the run, you should be within range to declare a charge if deployed on the line

Chaos knights move 10" these can most definately threaten a first turn charge. 

Nurgle is no longer super slow

Imagine that with drones and blightlords! :D

4 minutes ago, smucreo said:

It may be a bit off topic but I just checked out the rules for the Plagueclaw and let's just say I'll try to include it in my future Nurgle army haha 

Yeah it's a great artillery piece which offers some amazing ranged support :D 

The coolest thing about the Clan Pestilens War Engines is also the ease for conversions.

10 minutes ago, smucreo said:

It may be a bit off topic but I just checked out the rules for the Plagueclaw and let's just say I'll try to include it in my future Nurgle army haha 

Yeah, I managed to convert a chaos warshrine out of a used Plagueclaw and a Beastman Shaman. its very wip

I'm going to wait until the battletome comes out before I make a decision on whether to go with pestilens or not in my Nurgle army. Yesterday I had their start collecting box in my hand trying to decide between it an the daemon prince, but I was able to make myself wait for the battletome (the daemon prince is already immediately usable in 40k, so it didn't need to wait on the tome).

As a fan of all the ideas I'd probably pick up the start collecting Nurgle Daemons box, the paints and a unit of Blightkings. Should allow people to calm themselves a little by starting with the backbones allready. In addition I also think some could consider picking up the "Alien woods" from 40K or how the kit is called. I love the look of the Blight Tree but I think people can make it look even more awesome with some 'roots and boils'.

In my opinion this:
image.png.242ccab160e4549fcdfd279ae84fac61.png

Blends extremely well with this:
99129999008_ShardwrackSpines01.jpg

All that really needs to be done for it to look awesome together is share the same paint scheme and offcourse have some Nurglings walk amongst these Shardwrack Spines.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, smucreo said:

It's reaaally hard to wait though haha I've had the paints I need and a box of Plaguebearers on my online shopping cart for a while now and it's tempting to just buy them and not wait :)

Can't really go wrong with plaguebearers anyway, and they are a nice kit, good looking unit.

@Killax Good shout there! Make the spines rusty metal, would look awesome. Might just do that, I'd love a corrupted nurgle board. I feel like hopefully one gnarlmaw could be carved up and added to normal trees kit for a nurgle forest.

@Soulsmith yeah if you want them to be very daemonic metal is certainly possible. In addition for those who don't like the size of the Blight Tree you could also consider branching out with the Spines.

What makes the kit very interesting overall is that the pieces come seperate so you can use it for all kinds of ends. I tend to think that they would act very well as some Daemonic and evil looking Nurgle graden roots. 

More detail on the pieces:
99129999008_ShardwrackSpines04.jpg
- Like the Blight Tree the branches include skulls.

Pieces come seperate and look really Nurglesque to me:
99129999008_ShardwrackSpines06.jpg
- Add some bells and it's done! :D 

I have the feeling a max unit of plaguebearers is gonna be cool with the new battletome. Charging at least 20’’ ish (run and charge, with buffs from guo, the tree, and the cycle). Blades of contagion and spoilpox buffing them. Turns them into a fast, destructive and immoveable force. Of course they can also just sit on objectives also, a role they’ve never failed me in. 

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

Can't really go wrong with plaguebearers anyway, and they are a nice kit, good looking unit.

Yeah, I'm just on the fence about whether or not I should buy a box of Plaguebearers or go ahead and buy a SC lol Of course the single box is a low risk buy, but still... 

Archived