Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

I already have a more swarm-like army with my death guys, so I might be inclined to go for a more elite army this time around, but I'll give myself some time to decide because right now I'd get all the units revealed so far haha :) Such is the hype

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, smucreo said:

I already have a more swarm-like army with my death guys, so I might be inclined to go for a more elite army this time around, but I'll give myself some time to decide because right now I'd get all the units revealed so far haha :) Such is the hype

I thought about Pestilens as the mortal side of my AoS Nurgle army because I really like Skaven, but I really don't want to paint that many rats, so it's probably be Rotbringers for me. Besides, it looks like Blightkings will be as much fun to paint as Plague Marines.

30 minutes ago, smucreo said:

I can say you won't be dissapointed then! However I would also like to add that Nurgle Daemons most certainly recieved a ton of boosts and if Tzeentch and Khorne are any indication you'll have Greater Daemons work even better with smaller ones aswell. However it's also possible GW drifted away from that design for AoS, it's almost bound to happen for 40K though.

10 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I thought about Pestilens as the mortal side of my AoS Nurgle army because I really like Skaven, but I really don't want to paint that many rats, so it's probably be Rotbringers for me. Besides, it looks like Blightkings will be as much fun to paint as Plague Marines.

The models are amazing and really big so I think they might be even more fun to paint as Death Guard. All in all they all look amazing too. What makes their kit and the Wrathmonger kit so awesome is all the additional bits allowing you to really characterize other units aswell. That box is so much cash ;) 

4 minutes ago, Killax said:

What makes their kit and the Wrathmonger kit so awesome is all the additional bits allowing you to really characterize other units aswell. That box is so much cash ;) 

200% agreed, one kit of blightkings is still paying dividends. Really looking forward to mixing and matching with the mounted ones.

3 minutes ago, smucreo said:

So with me wanting to dive into Nurgle with these new releases, can anyone tell me what differentiates the playstyles of the Daemons and the Mortal followers of Nurgle? Are Daemons always a swarm type army?

Well at the moment, the Daemons are the only ones with any kind of variety of in non-hero units. The rotbringers right now have a bunch of hereos/monsters and just Putrid Blightkings as not just a battle line, but literally their only unit that's not a hero/leader/character. The daemons aren't as swarmy as Skaven are, but plaguebearers are cheap and you can get a decent amount on the table.

Hopefully this release will bring some balance between the two with beasts hopefully becoming a decent elite infantry for daemons, and a little more variety for mortals with the flying blightkings, but I'm still hoping GW is still keeping some things close their chest and we'll get AoS poxwalker equivalent or Pestigors. Either way you go Nurgle(like most of the Chaos armies) is going to be a game of synergy between units and it looks like we'll get more of that.

6 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I cringe every time clan pestilens are mentioned in a nurgle conversation. The skaven rats don’t even worship the Grand Father, they worship the great corruptor. The all father tolerates them as they act in a way that pleases him. Yet, the great corruptor is not nurgle, he is one face of the deficitful horned rat. 

Yeah as I'm reading through the end times books this still doesn't add up. Perhaps it's for a future campaign where Nurgle takes over pestilens? There's been rumours of the removal of Slaneesh to be replaced with the horned rat for a while now, could be that? 

With my 60 plaguebearers, the Spoilpox Scrivener looks like a great herald to have:

Meanwhile, the Spoilpox Scrivener is a downright dour creature by comparison… It’s the job of the Spoilpox Scriveners to ensure that Plaguebearers meet their tallies, a job they accomplish by relentlessly browbeating and bullying their counterparts with a barrage of insults and commands. On the tabletop, the Spoilpox Scrivener will ensure that your Plaguebearers fight harder, making them a handy strategic lynchpin for the rest of your army.

Wonder if it'll be more points than the standard Herald, which never seems to be used in lists?

Also does anyone know which model this references:

Our favourite of these is the Lord of Blights, who adds much needed ranged capabilities to your Nurgle army. While this baleful figure looks like a close combat juggernaut (and, in all fairness, he’s no slouch in melee!), his real strength lies in the clutch of severed heads he carries with him. The Lord of Blights hands out these heads to nearby units of Putrid Blightkings, letting them bombard nearby foes.

Third question!- Looks like blightkings will have points reduction in the book- are these point reductions used in GTs or are GTs always strictly the GH only?

7 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Also does anyone know which model this references:

Third question!- Looks like blightkings will have points reduction in the book- are these point reductions used in GTs or are GTs always strictly the GH only?

For your second question, I believe that the model in question is the current lord of plagues (the big foot lord with big axe and big stomach). They probably wanted to make it more useful character since he is currently pretty meh compared to other nurgle heroes.

For your third question, I'm pretty sure that tournaments, etc. Use whatever is the latest point value available (after all, otherwise you could say that the whole book is banned from tournaments since it includes lots of new models, rules and points).

Just now, angrycontra said:

For your second question, I believe that the model in question is the current lord of plagues (the big foot lord with big axe and big stomach). They probably wanted to make it more useful character since he is currently pretty meh compared to other nurgle heroes.

For your third question, I'm pretty sure that tournaments, etc. Use whatever is the latest point value available (after all, otherwise you could say that the whole book is banned from tournaments since it includes lots of new models, rules and points).

Ah ok thanks. I have that lord of plague but it references a pile of skulls which he doesn't have. Maybe i should add some to his base! Looks like I'll have some more points to spend having put 2x5 blightkings in my GT list!

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Ah ok thanks. I have that lord of plague but it references a pile of skulls which he doesn't have. Maybe i should add some to his base! Looks like I'll have some more points to spend having put 2x5 blightkings in my GT list!

I think it's worth noting that we have no clue what the model is, it could be a new unit or an existing one, it's probably best to wait and see

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

With my 60 plaguebearers, the Spoilpox Scrivener looks like a great herald to have:

Wonder if it'll be more points than the standard Herald, which never seems to be used in lists?

It does look like a combination of Spoilpox and the lades of putrefaction spell can change what a max unit of pbs means to your opponent altogether. 

18 hours ago, smucreo said:

So do you know where I could start? I had several lists in mind, I really like Daemons so I'd probably get a Start Collecting but I'm still not sure how good each unit is so until I have a better grasp I'm just guessing. But at this point I'm sure most of us are until the new stuff is released haha

Like @Killax said start with whatever models inspire you! If you get too caught up in trying to optimise your army you tend to end up with a really boring list - both hobby wise and play wise! 

If that's not important to you and having the most competitive combinations possible is where you get your kicks then start with some safe options like plaguebearers and work on those while you wait for the battletome. It won't be long anyway :)

I think i'm going to go for as much variety as possible - Great Unclean One, Maybe some of the Blight Kings on Drones, Plaguebearers, Pestilens Plague Monks, Plague Claw Catapults and some Slaves to Darkness.

20 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Like @Killax said start with whatever models inspire you! If you get too caught up in trying to optimise your army you tend to end up with a really boring list - both hobby wise and play wise! 

If that's not important to you and having the most competitive combinations possible is where you get your kicks then start with some safe options like plaguebearers and work on those while you wait for the battletome. It won't be long anyway :)

I think i'm going to go for as much variety as possible - Great Unclean One, Maybe some of the Blight Kings on Drones, Plaguebearers, Pestilens Plague Monks, Plague Claw Catapults and some Slaves to Darkness.

I'm mostly competitive, but never at the cost of fun! I've been wanting to get a box of Plaguebearers but I'm still not sure if I want to go mixed, full daemons or full mortals so I have been waiting for now until I see what the battletome has to offer. Cool synergies are where it's at after all! :D 

I have to say though, that GUO looks too cool. Man, they really did a good job this time around.

51 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I can only echo the variety choice. As someone who still has tons of Khorne to paint I will not dive into another project anytime soon but I can say what keeps me motivated is the combination of it all. Some mortals, some daemons, some things that are in between. It all makes for an awesome combination that allows us to really handle different models from time to time.

One of the things I personally find difficult to do is for example finish those 30 Bloodletter or 40 Bloodreaver units. I expect the same for Plaguebearer or Plague Monk units who often function the best at the same sizes. So in order to break up those long patrons I choose some different model lines to work on. One of the best advantages for Chaos is that we have this option and as mentioned before elsewehere Nurgle even has the most choices in adding Skaven to the mix too. 

@smucreo I have to say I'm quite a competitive player too and this is the prime reason why I have a ton of models but don't have a ton of models painted yet. The moment the book is available to me I'll certain cover some things with my opinions. But so far my best guesses are that it will indeed be akin to what you see in Blades of Khorne and Desciples of Tzeentch. Meaning the following:
- Greater Daemons are not only great center pieces but thanks to overall high ammount of Monster Generals great in-between Generals too (as in they can handle monsters and support and be very scary for your opponent to look at).
- Heralds are okay but not so much needed. I do expect the piper and tallyman to be more functional as the others but AoS is typical in having a ton of non-competitive relevant Heroes for practically every Allegiance. 
- Sorcerers are really where it will be at for Nurgle too. The moment you have acces to Spells is when suddenly Magic starts to matter a lot and a lot of Nurgle spells will likely revolve around some great buffs for Nurgle and debuffs for opponents. The other advantage here is that Rotbringer Sorcerers are actually not named characters so you can give them Artefacts and the like.
- I again expect the Rotbringers to be ideal for strong offensive support but likely too elite to compete otherwise. I do think that the additional movement will really help them out a lot too but I also deem it quite likely that the Rotbringers on Plaguedrones is where the cash is in terms of offensive and faster support.
- As before, I believe that the prime strenght of Nurgle Daemons + Rotbringer armies will actually come forth out of Plaguebearers. I expect the Warscroll of the GUO to be updated and also cleared up but if Grandfather's Joy is still worded the way it was I expect it to actually trigger on rolls of 7 or more (as per FAQ) and that suddenly makes the Plaguebearers a whole lot more choppy. But we'll see...
- Other Daemons (Nurglings, Plague Beasts, Drones) will likely act as fantastic support and so will other named characters. In general though going with a GUO, about 60 Plaguebearers (2x30) and a unit of 6 Blightkings on Drones (2x3) seems like an amazing start the moment  it's available. This applies pretty much the same for DoT and BoK, units of 30 daemons work, small units of elite support work ;) 

Cheers,

9 minutes ago, Killax said:

In general though going with a GUO, about 60 Plaguebearers (2x30) and a unit of 6 Blightkings on Drones (2x3) seems like an amazing start the moment  it's available. This applies pretty much the same for DoT and BoK, units of 30 daemons work, small units of elite support work ;)

I had a similar list in mind, and tbh I'll probably end up buying plaguebearers in the next couple of days, as I said the only thing that's holding me it's the amount of guys I'll have to buy and paint. I ended up tired of painting skeletons after finishing a unit of 40, after all so...

I guess we'll see what's good though, can't wait to discuss the new stuff as it comes out!

Archived