Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@shadowgra

Im curious why not go in units of 20. 30 seems unwieldy and 10 seems a waste, 20 at least you get the -2 to hit in shooting. Am happy to be educated on why you think otherwise.

Where does it say you can't use the Daemon cohort of Nurgle in matched play? The Azur app lets you add it into a matched play army fine.

For the matched play you have to look at general's handbook, and unfortunately battalions that do not have points there cannot be used.

With 20 plaguebearers at the first loss you are going to take they will lose the second tick of their "horde" ability. Instead with unit of 30 your opponent needs to kill 11 of them before they lose a -1 to be hitten in both melee and shooting. Plus they get a discount for massive regiments.

10 are fine for objective holding. There are better holders around but of you want to go full daemon is the best option

4 minutes ago, erasercrumbs said:

The Rotbringers Sorcerer isn't that bad, actually. He's kind of a unique spellcaster, keep him close to a Harbinger and he can absorb and regenerate damage at a surprising rate while spitting out Streams. For his low cost, he's quite playable.

I've been saying that about this guy for a while. Stick him up on a vortex and that spell of his becomes a little bit more worrisome to your opponent, effectively closing off a big chunk of scenery. I've had this guy up to ten wounds, handing out arcane bolt or mystic shield at +1 to cast with double range, getting a wound added to his profile for a while until my foe finally gets so annoyed that he spends a full turn, [or possibly two] shooting him off the vortex. He's well worth his points.

I don't actually agree. Unless you have nothing more than 100 points there are several better options:

- festus: his spell is WAY more powerful than a short range-high damage arcane bolt.also while the sorcerer heals himself, festus heals the harbinger which is way better of you are going plaguetouched.

-allied sayl: his spell is really strong, gives us  movement, has a inbuilt arcane bolt at 7" once per game, has reroll for casting once per game. He can cast his spell, change the game and then sit back arcane shielding something.

-allied gaunt summoner: casts twice, is way better on a vortex and has a spell that deals tons of damage.

Also the chaos sorcerer lord is a thing to look at, but he is quite more an investment at 160.

I think that the sorcerer is outclassed by far from other mages (mainly because he supports only himself and nothing else -mystic Shield apart). Still it has is role in a 100 points caster, but unfortunately anything else.

Of course this is my opinion and completely debatable

Glottkin as a general can work in a list that fits in lots of plague monks (maximize his command ability). 

Glottkin as a monster can work in a plaguetouched warband led by a harbringer. 

I think you always want festus in a list with Glottkin. Opponents  get really frustrated with Glottkin healing 4-5 wounds in your hero phase. 

I've also been mucking around with a blight guard list - I think the shooting protection is big, but it leaves Glottkin and the Harbringer without any to hit penalties. 

Allegiance: Chaos
Harbinger of Decay (140)
The Glottkin (420)
Lord of Plagues (100)
Rotbringers Sorcerer (100)
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (120) - allied
Darkoath Chieftain (80) - allied
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
Blight Guard (200)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

I don't think you can take the gaunt summoner. Blightkings are battleline only if you take nurgle rotbringers allegiance and they can't ally with tzeentch IIRC. Maybe remove the chieftain and the vortex for 3x10 marauders? Or I'm totally wrong.

4 minutes ago, spenson said:

I don't think you can take the gaunt summoner. Blightkings are battleline only if you take nurgle rotbringers allegiance and they can't ally with tzeentch IIRC. Maybe remove the chieftain and the vortex for 3x10 marauders? Or I'm totally wrong.

The Allies rules are a little bit odd... but A case can be made that you can, as it has the Everchosen keyword. 

Same with the Battleline issues with the Blightkings.. given they have said nurgle rotbringers =/= Nurgle  for allegiance key word I think it works. 

23 minutes ago, Uveron said:

The Allies rules are a little bit odd... but A case can be made that you can, as it has the Everchosen keyword. 

Same with the Battleline issues with the Blightkings.. given they have said nurgle rotbringers =/= Nurgle  for allegiance key word I think it works. 

Um, nope. GS is Tzeentch,  Everchosen keyword doesn't matter here. Tzeentch can't ally with Nurgle. Play straight chaos alliance, then yeah, it's ok.

Just now, Tasman said:

Um, nope. GS is Tzeentch,  Everchosen keyword doesn't matter here. Tzeentch can't ally with Nurgle. Play straight chaos alliance, then yeah, it's ok.

Why doesn't it matter? 

Keyword = Allegiance 

When you Allie in a unit you can bring a unit providing it has an allegiance that matches,  

Thus the GS has the following Allegiances: Tzeentch, Everchosen and Arcanites and Chaos. 

Nurgle can Allie units with the Everchosen Allegiance. 

9 minutes ago, Uveron said:

Why doesn't it matter? 

Keyword = Allegiance 

When you Allie in a unit you can bring a unit providing it has an allegiance that matches,  

Thus the GS has the following Allegiances: Tzeentch, Everchosen and Arcanites and Chaos. 

Nurgle can Allie units with the Everchosen Allegiance. 

Whatever. Looks like you've talked yourself into it. Won't fly in my meta, but if you can pull it off, go for it.

3 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Whatever. Looks like you've talked yourself into it. Won't fly in my meta, but if you can pull it off, go for it.

What do you mean. I mean I would like to know your reasoning. I have spent the last 6 hours trying to make sense of these rules for a rules question and I would like to here you out. I just need to know what you think the fault in my logic is? 

21 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Not all are. That one is everchosen. 

The one with familiers meanwhile is.

Screenshot_20171109-232509.png

4 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Not all are. That one is everchosen. 

The one with familiers meanwhile is

That was my first thought today as well.... But when you look at the GW community post, and the description of allies in the handbook before the tables they reference that its by Allegiance , not that these tables define Allegiances.

The Tables just list what Allegiances can Allie with what Allegiances. 

As many units have multiple possible Allegiances.  

And the Gaunt Summoner with Familiars, on its warsckoll is labled as Everychosen. 

16 minutes ago, Uveron said:

That was my first thought today as well.... But when you look at the GW community post, and the description of allies in the handbook before the tables they reference that its by Allegiance , not that these tables define Allegiances.

The Tables just list what Allegiances can Allie with what Allegiances. 

As many units have multiple possible Allegiances.  

And the Gaunt Summoner with Familiars, on its warsckoll is labled as Everychosen. 

Got some screen shots? 

Start a thing in rules, get some more input then

20 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

Quick easy answer. 

Nurgle can’t ally with anything that has a Tzeentch keyword. Doesn’t matter what “allegiance” you want the GS to have. He has Tzeentch keyword. 

On the other hand if you want to be “that guy” it is not explicitly stated that keywords count against allies.

I try to interpret the rules as intended, if the wording leaves a gap.

in this case the intention is Tzeentch and Nurgle won’t ally. So the Guant summoner who is loyal to Tzeentch wouldn’t ally with Nurgle

Well that obviously doesn't work as now archaon cannot ally with anyone

1 hour ago, Soldier of decay said:

Quick easy (wrong) answer. I have been corrected?

Nurgle can’t ally with anything that has a Tzeentch keyword. Doesn’t matter what “allegiance” you want the GS to have. He has Tzeentch keyword. 

It is only slaves to darkness that have the the no Tzeemtch clause. Not everchosen. Through archion can not allie as he is to many points. 

And keyword = aligence and that beening how to pick allies is outlined in the actatual handbook. 

Archived