Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

8 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Why not use nurgle allegiance ability?

Because with Nurgle allegiance i need to use the wheel and while it's  pretty good, one of the effects nullifies the plaguetouched (reroll 6s to wound for your opponent). I really think however that chaos allegiance shine bringing you an awesome artefact (chaos talisman) and some awesome traits (cunning deceiver, 5+ unpredictable).

I lose blightkings battleline but oh well

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, shadowgra said:

Because with Nurgle allegiance i need to use the wheel and while it's  pretty good, one of the effects nullifies the plaguetouched (reroll 6s to wound for your opponent). I really think however that chaos allegiance shine bringing you an awesome artefact (chaos talisman) and some awesome traits (cunning deceiver, 5+ unpredictable).

I lose blightkings battleline but oh well

Your blightkings have battleline in that list since everything HAS nurgle allegiance. At the start of the game, you choose whether to play as nurgle allegiance or chaos allegiance. 

6 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Your blightkings have battleline in that list since everything HAS nurgle allegiance. At the start of the game, you choose whether to play as nurgle allegiance or chaos allegiance. 

Ah ok but my list is the same before because of the requirements for the plaguetouched.

seems okay, I would not take that much cavalry, but I understand the need due to plague touched. I would probably take more chaos warriors and instead invest a plagueclaw catapult as it really helps placing some wounds on the enemy before you engage. 

I used the plagueclaw but didn't find it really useful, most of my games it didn't do a lot of damage and in every game it destroyed less points than its cost.

14 knights are not to be underestimated in terms of tankiness, they are 42 wounds (21 warriors) but way faster and that deal more damage. With their new cost i like them a lot. 

How would you build a plaguetouched list?

So I have a handful of blightkings and small characters like spume and lord of plagues. I have always wanted to run a solid rotbringers list and now a friend wants to trade me some of the bigger dudes, glottkin and the like. 

Now that max blightkings are so much cheaper and with a nurgle book maybe on the way it seems less like a bad idea. 

So how do people typically run solid rotbringers these days? Their one battalion is pretty restrictive. I've always wanted to run a massive wall of kings with some supporting characters sprinkled in, but it's a painfully slow setup. Any advice? How do people use these guys? And is it even worth ignoring the daemons and slaves parts of nurgle now that blightkings are just nurgle battleline?

I run the blight guard list and never found it slow for its purpose. With the +1 to run and charge, it's surprising how you can find yourself over the other side of the board by turn 2. I think 200 points is steep thoug, in the new GHB

i also use the 3 maggoth lords and chaos knights so there's high Movement to zoom onto objectives.  Thinking about swapping out the knights for marauder cab as they're even zippier once I get playing again. 

I think that the issue with blightkings is their difensive capability that is not Stellar and their lack of rend

Also i find that the blightguard is nearly not as strong as the plaguetouched and costs twice as much. Also the blightguard has the issue that you have to play the 2 heroes that you really don't want to play: rotbringers sorcerer and lord of plague.

So I figured people would get the most mileage out of running the full suit of characters. Something like this maybe?

Blightlords 2000

Harbinger of Decay: general (cunning deceiver, talisman) 140

The Glottkin 420

Orghotts Daemonspew 240

Morbidex Twiceborn 240

Blown Rotspawned 240

Blightkings x5, 180

Blightkings x5, 180

Blightkings x5, 180

Blightkings x5, 180

Characters have mobility and threat, harbinger is there for the good Chaos traits and his command ability. Min units of kings gives me lots of rolls on their heal ability as they saunter up the field.

Although I still wish I could run a big 600pt deathblob of kings. 

I personally find that:

While maggoth lords are cool there is one that is really playable: bloab. The others are just lacklusters to say the least. Morbidex has some good potential but needs Nurglings to go to its full potential. Orghotts is just awful.

While i don't like glottkin if they are not the general to make the most use of it in a mortal list you have to bring marauders. They are cheap, can swarm objectives and they can double their wounds with glottkin spell.

5 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

I personally find that:

While maggoth lords are cool there is one that is really playable: bloab. The others are just lacklusters to say the least. Morbidex has some good potential but needs Nurglings to go to its full potential. Orghotts is just awful.

While i don't like glottkin if they are not the general to make the most use of it in a mortal list you have to bring marauders. They are cheap, can swarm objectives and they can double their wounds with glottkin spell.

Well I'm mostly taking the other two for mobility. I'm honestly hoping they drop the characters in the new book and give us generic Lord/Sorcerer on Maggoth, but for now they'll do ok.

As for the Glottkin spell, I will agree he's better off targeting a cheap horde unit. Hoping for a new plague zombie kit like what deathguard just got in 40k.

2 hours ago, Slaanesh said:

Anyone here tried morbidex with a large unit of nurglings? I like the idea but have no clue how good it would be

There are better things to take. I tried him once, never did it again. It could be ok if you just want to play Nurglings in a way that they actually do something

2 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

Guys

just a quick question about the maggoth lord models, does the mount come with spare heads on the sprue or is it just a single part static kit?

cheers

Everything is spare aside from the body: extra legs arms the lot. 

I started making a demon prince, then just decided to make it into a mount. Used chaos knight legs as you only get 1 pair. 

IMG_3810.JPG

Chaos knights in my opinion are really good with new points: they are more expensive than warriors but are way more damaging and lances have rend that isn't quite common in a plaguetouched list. Also they are a lot faster and with sayl changes i think that if you don't wanna bring him you have to go with them

6 hours ago, Josh Meads said:
8 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

Everything is spare aside from the body: extra legs arms the lot. 

So you get an additional mouth piece? Or is it attached to the body? The reason why I ask is I'm making multiple jabberslythes and really want them to have the maggoth lord mouth

14 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

So you get an additional mouth piece? Or is it attached to the body? The reason why I ask is I'm making multiple jabberslythes and really want them to have the maggoth lord mouth

If they do come separate and any of you lovely nurgle players have spares in your bits box, let us know and hopefully we can arrange something, been let down by bits site ? Need the jabbers to have scary faces.

1 hour ago, L.Bromley said:

If they do come separate and any of you lovely nurgle players have spares in your bits box, let us know and hopefully we can arrange something, been let down by bits site ? Need the jabbers to have scary faces.

I build Bloab Rotspawned out of my maggoth set and that gave me 2 large spare mouth and one smaller belly mouth. However I am not interesting in selling/trading these bits. I just wanted to let you know what the Maggoth set gives you.

Archived