Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

4 hours ago, Josh said:

awesome result! im curious what you struggled against the obvious shooting. I suppose mobility will always be an issue with nurgle

just find the large amount of PBK really interesting 

For me, the problem was that every piece of terrain was damned during that final round at Adepticon, which clearly tipped the table in his favor with 4+ mortal wounds...for the entire match.  That said, I almost had him, still ;-)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made a nice Nurgle Army for some tournament prep games, how do you like it?

Also have some questions: Can i use the Cycle of Corruption in Matched Play (i know i lose generic Chaos Artefacts and WL Traits)? Can i use the Blightkings as Battleline, as i declared my army as Nurgle Allegiance?

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
The Glottkin (420)

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
- Nurgle Battleline

Units
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1500/1500

you can use the Allegiance Nurgle. and imho the only way to make it work is basing your army on the Glottkin, since you would not get command traits or artefacts for him anyway,

the herald is way underwhelming, i would suggest you to drop him straight away. also blightkings are kinda wasted in this list. i would do the following:

Glottkin- general 420

daemon prince of nurgle, axe 160

10 plaguebearers 100

10 plaguebearers 100

30 plaguebearers 270

6 drones 440

you have way tankier stuff and overall better sinergy. drones in a unit of 6 is far more reliable in terms of damage output. i would look into the possibility of running horticulus instead of the daemon prince, he is tankier and helps regenerating wounds. also has a quite unique ability that deals mortal wounds if he retreats. is less mobile but far more reliable and in a list like this you really need the locus on the drones to be active in order to deal some damage,

what do you think? if u do mind going for a 2k i would invest in a plagueclaw or 2 and other heroes.

20 hours ago, Josh said:

awesome result! im curious what you struggled against the obvious shooting. I suppose mobility will always be an issue with nurgle

just find the large amount of PBK really interesting 

I honestly didn't struggle against much! The kunnin rukk list that destroyed me was easy to see a mile away. He killed glotkin turn one. He tried to foot of gork my harbinger but his magic shield blocked it ??. His double stonehorns charged into the marauders. once they were dead they pasted the blightkings. 

There was a chance for me of the Mission. 6 objectives with four disappearing. Had some luck and the objectives he placed deep in his deployment zone disappeared. All the ones deep in mine were staying around. Summmoned some nurglings on one and bloab was holding another completely hidden from rukk. If the blightkings could have stalled the stonehorns a bit longer I might have had a chance. I would have captured one if we had more time but still would have lost.. just would have been 15-5 rather the. 20-0 lol

The blightkings are dope. Heal, dish out mortals and tons of regular wounds. There biggest weakness is speed. So I just played to the mission and objectives. One had them come on turn 3 movement phase hit I could come on from opponent short board edge in a corner deplaoyment sylvaneth player had 9 bow hunters shooting at glotkin for like 3 turns. 15 blightkings came on from her board edge and thumped em. 

10 hours ago, Darksider said:

Made a nice Nurgle Army for some tournament prep games, how do you like it?

Also have some questions: Can i use the Cycle of Corruption in Matched Play (i know i lose generic Chaos Artefacts and WL Traits)? Can i use the Blightkings as Battleline, as i declared my army as Nurgle Allegiance?

Leaders
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
The Glottkin (420)

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
- Nurgle Battleline

Units

Total: 1500/1500

Glotkin is awesome win a big blob of plaguebros!! Drop the herald,  and the blightkings for 30 plaguebros. Or the drop the herald, one of ten plaguebros and turn the last remaining squad of ten into 30. 

As for not having nurgle not havingxommand traits or artifacts..I'm going to ask casual opponents to let me use the nurgle allegiance traits and chaos command traits and atrefacts. I'm sure people would be staunchly against that for know. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I honestly didn't struggle against much! The kunnin rukk list that destroyed me was easy to see a mile away. He killed glotkin turn one. He tried to foot of gork my harbinger but his magic shield blocked it ??. His double stonehorns charged into the marauders. once they were dead they pasted the blightkings. 

There was a chance for me of the Mission. 6 objectives with four disappearing. Had some luck and the objectives he placed deep in his deployment zone disappeared. All the ones deep in mine were staying around. Summmoned some nurglings on one and bloab was holding another completely hidden from rukk. If the blightkings could have stalled the stonehorns a bit longer I might have had a chance. I would have captured one if we had more time but still would have lost.. just would have been 15-5 rather the. 20-0 lol

The blightkings are dope. Heal, dish out mortals and tons of regular wounds. There biggest weakness is speed. So I just played to the mission and objectives. One had them come on turn 3 movement phase hit I could come on from opponent short board edge in a corner deplaoyment sylvaneth player had 9 bow hunters shooting at glotkin for like 3 turns. 15 blightkings came on from her board edge and thumped em. 

thats really interesting, after playing that event do you feel the list is ok or would you tweak anything? I just find it super interesting hearing peoples thoughts on armies that arent on the cutting edge

2 hours ago, Josh said:

thats really interesting, after playing that event do you feel the list is ok or would you tweak anything? I just find it super interesting hearing peoples thoughts on armies that arent on the cutting edge

Sorry for the many typos and horrid punctuation. My iPhone is on it's last legs and it's hard to type long responses. Ahah. 

Well the nova open uses gh2016.. now with gh2017 I have 140 points to spend! And if I drop the nurglings I have 220. And with all the changes (nurgle allegiance as opposed to demons/mortals.. opens up so many options! 

As is ...MY list is super fun. And I think it's competitive. But it's all relative. They still haven't put out the data..but I'm pretty sure I came in top ten strictly on battle points. I won 4/5 games.  Sure it's not as strong as an 18 sky fire/double LoC or kunnin rukk/double stonehorns list that is constantly winning tournaments around the country.. but that's not my goal.  I also refuse to use sayl on principle. Hehe. 

My overall feelings are this. Blightkings are really good (newsflash). They excel when there are multiple units near each other, Stacking virulent discharge. Any +1 to hit (unpredictable destruction, lord of war etc) makes them absolutely deadly. I gave one unit of 5 lord of war and hit on UD. 7 of my 15 attacks turned into d6 hits. I ended up with 33 hits from 15 attacks.

weakness is obviously speed.. but that's nurgle's MO. Which is fine. But the fact that I have to stay so close to the harbinger is a huge weakness. I think they should give blightkings the same disgustingly resilient the demons get. I also think a small buff which would be fluffy would be the chance the blighted weapons (d6 hits on hot rolls of 6) should be changed to d6 WOUNDS on WOUND rolls of 6. Nurgle's other MO wounded and infection. Plus there are a lot of debuff hitting out there so it wouldn't affect blightkings as often..there a small buff.

I run a similar Rotbringers list, and my thoughts for GHB2017 were to add another herald to get more coverage on the 5+ Nurgle save, and to add  10 man unit of Marauders to run grab objectives.  Previously I ran Belakor, but with the new handbook hes getting the boot for Bloab.

snip

i just put this together, seems like a heap of fun tbh! the numbers on the marauders would change but maybe change the jabba & nurglings with some nurgle chaos warriors

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Bloab Rotspawned (240)
The Glottkin (420)
Harbinger of Decay (140)

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Axes
- Axes

Units
3 x Nurglings (80)

Behemoths
Jabberslythe (120)

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000/2000

For now, my nurgle lists are starting with a core of a harbringer (general), glottkin, and a unit of 20 blightkings (basically, I want my pretties on the table :D). This is obviously at 1160 pts, which dictates the army, but it looks great on the battlefield and is scary to face. The unit of 20 blightkings lets you cover an immense area with the harbringer's 5+ ward aura (just make sure to leave a tail in range behind where the mass of the unit goes). Keep Glottkin near the harbringer for the 5+ ward and you have a monster that can go toe to toe with most anything out there. 

It's slow and doesn't have a ton of models, but it's an absolute brick to deal with and it tears apart most anything it touches.

Starting from that, there's lots of options to fill out a plaguetouched warband for a single drop army.

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (140)
The Glottkin (420)
Bloab Rotspawned (240)

Battleline
20 x Putrid Blightkings (600)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Battalions

44 minutes ago, Auticus said:

So in putting together a nurgle band for campaign next year I've noticed a few things:

1) nurgle demons, which are part of their path to glory warband, are not part of the alliance capabilities.  

2) the list under performs against the two most common things in my meta:  the 2+ re-rollable saves of stormcast (fulminators re-roll 1s to save and get a +1 boost near the castellant) and mountains of mortal wounds by things like beastclaw raiders.  

Now to deal with the 2+ re-rollable save, the trick is to kill the castellant to bring them to a 3+ rerolling 1s, which is still pretty bad.  The mortal wound machines though are what really get me.  I don't have an answer to those.

What are some tricks against things like beastclaw raiders?

chaff walls. bearers are good as of the 5+ ward, if you simply want it to die then marauders 

also check out exalted great unclean one, -2 on his attacks 

8 hours ago, decker_cky said:

For now, my nurgle lists are starting with a core of a harbringer (general), glottkin, and a unit of 20 blightkings (basically, I want my pretties on the table :D). This is obviously at 1160 pts, which dictates the army, but it looks great on the battlefield and is scary to face. The unit of 20 blightkings lets you cover an immense area with the harbringer's 5+ ward aura (just make sure to leave a tail in range behind where the mass of the unit goes). Keep Glottkin near the harbringer for the 5+ ward and you have a monster that can go toe to toe with most anything out there. 

It's slow and doesn't have a ton of models, but it's an absolute brick to deal with and it tears apart most anything it touches.

Starting from that, there's lots of options to fill out a plaguetouched warband for a single drop army.

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (140)
The Glottkin (420)
Bloab Rotspawned (240)

Battleline
20 x Putrid Blightkings (600)
- Nurgle Battleline
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Battalions

Maybe drop the brick of 20 down to 15, remove one and field 14 to get the bile swollen buff of the PTW. Run another 5 nearby as a counter assault if the opponent moves something else to try to swarm the large unit!

I'm thinking more and more about adding in a chaos warshrine seeing as how our points dropped. 4+/5++/6++ and re-roll wounds (or is it 1s to wound?) sounds disgustingly resilient ;)

1 hour ago, Auticus said:

So in putting together a nurgle band for campaign next year I've noticed a few things:

1) nurgle demons, which are part of their path to glory warband, are not part of the alliance capabilities.  

2) the list under performs against the two most common things in my meta:  the 2+ re-rollable saves of stormcast (fulminators re-roll 1s to save and get a +1 boost near the castellant) and mountains of mortal wounds by things like beastclaw raiders.  

Now to deal with the 2+ re-rollable save, the trick is to kill the castellant to bring them to a 3+ rerolling 1s, which is still pretty bad.  The mortal wound machines though are what really get me.  I don't have an answer to those.

What are some tricks against things like beastclaw raiders?

For 2+ re-rollable ****** that SCE can do.. try bloab with miasma of pestilence. I like to cast it on them (or the Castellant lantern boy) and immediately hit them with an arcane bolt, then shoot them and preferably charge as well. If it all goes off thats 4d3 mortal wounds. Or try a unit of bile trolls/E-GUO behind a wall of plaguebros or blightkings. 

For the BCR mortal wound machine.. you could toss a wall of cheap maruaders or more durable/expensive warriors up the field with sayl. conga line back to the harbinger.  and limit where he is able to move. Key is for the thundertusks to get him out of that first tier so at least its d6 and not auto 6 for the frost breathe. 

Maybe drop the brick of 20 down to 15, remove one and field 14 to get the bile swollen buff of the PTW. Run another 5 nearby as a counter assault if the opponent moves something else to try to swarm the large unit!

I'm thinking more and more about adding in a chaos warshrine seeing as how our points dropped. 4+/5++/6++ and re-roll wounds (or is it 1s to wound?) sounds disgustingly resilient ;)

The last 5 blightkings are only 60 pts, so I don't think it's worth it running 14 blightkings anymore. 20 blightkings for 600 pts is 30 pts per model, while 14 for 540 pts is 38.5 pts per model.

I tried the Warshrine last game. The extra save is nice for sure, but 6's are fickle. The 3+ to reroll wounds with my monster block was great, but failed to go off on a key turn. 3+ is also just unreliable enough that it's likely to fail when you need it.

However, I don't like adding more units that rely on putting an aura over the core of my army.  I think it's good value overall, but I'd rather add units that can operate independently like chaos knights. 

With the GHB2 missions, I don't think you want to be a slave to auras. Glottkin and a monstrous block of blightkings are pretty easy to manage (as mentioned, the size of the unit stretches the impact of the aura), but any more than that and you fall into the trap of being an army limited to one area.

19 hours ago, Arkiham said:

I've a  1k list

Exalted great unclean  one

30 plaguebearers 

5 chaos warriors

Chaos Lord on demonic mount 

Should be 1k on the dot  

Strong but short ranged attack

Tanky against mortal wounds

Tanky Lord

Really nice army for a 1k game. Made some tweeks for my own list, as i don't own some of the models.

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- General

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (270)
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Total: 940/1000

I know, not as good as your list, but i hope it is decent. Only the last 60 points are a bit of a struggle, as i don't know what to do with them.

How do you like it? Any suggestions?

24 minutes ago, Darksider said:

I know, not as good as your list, but i hope it is decent. Only the last 60 points are a bit of a struggle, as i don't know what to do with them.

How do you like it? Any suggestions?

Furies, beasts of nurgle, and marauders are the options for nurgle marked units worth 60 pts. 

To both @Arkiham and @Darksider, I would recommend NOT taking the single model worth 420-500 pts in a 1000 pt game. In my experience, you need numbers and speed to compete in those smaller games (5/6 missions require multiple scoring threats or straight up numbers), and the monstrous general just soak too many points to effectively split your force.

9 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Furies, beasts of nurgle, and marauders are the options for nurgle marked units worth 60 pts. 

To both @Arkiham and @Darksider, I would recommend NOT taking the single model worth 420-500 pts in a 1000 pt game. In my experience, you need numbers and speed to compete in those smaller games (5/6 missions require multiple scoring threats or straight up numbers), and the monstrous general just soak too many points to effectively split your force.

Thx for the answer =). Hm thought that my blob of 30 Plaguebearers would do it.

Lots of missions will need you to split your army between two or more objectives. It's worth reading through the missions and asking yourself "what do this mission ask me to include in my army?"

1000 pts is definitely a bit of a weird game size and you will have to make sacrifices, but it's important to be able to compete in all the missions (otherwise you go into some missions knowing it's basically an auto loss). 

Good advice ;).

Yeah 1k is not for everyone, but in my area we play lots of 1k or 1.5k games. There are only few people that play on 2k and nearly no events that host 2k games.

Hm maybe i read the book first. Hope i don't have to play a horde style army, cause i hate this army style =(.

Archived