Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Ciliegioinfiore said:

Hey guys, is it possibile to do a competitive 1500 points list focused on deamons?

I've seen some great 2k lists that are almost all demons, so I wouldn't see why not. Nurgle demons have a pretty good mix of everything but shooting, but with the Gnarlmaw slingshot you can usually get across the board pretty fast.

Hi guys, not long into my Nurgle foray and after some advice. My local club is starting a Path to Glory campaign and I was starting with the Blight War box and the Lord of Blights. It was looking to be purely for 'fun' and I had my story ready and was looking forward to games, however some folks started last week and have gone super competitive (according to my mate who attends GTs) so I'm wondering what are the best units to take?

I'm thinking 30 Plaguebearers with Lord of Blights (fly buff and my story) and a Spoilpox, don't see that being awful but maybe not optimum! 

@Smed1986 Spoilpox is probably one of the two worst units in the entire battletome, along with the other non wizard herald, sloppity bilepiper. Also Lord of Blights command ability is not good on PB's as -4 to hit in shooting is redundant. Lord of Blights is simply not good for competitive nurgle. 

33 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Smed1986 Spoilpox is probably one of the two worst units in the entire battletome, along with the other non wizard herald, sloppity bilepiper. Also Lord of Blights command ability is not good on PB's as -4 to hit in shooting is redundant. Lord of Blights is simply not good for competitive nurgle. 

What would you suggest then? Agreed on the -4 but also gives -2 in combat unless I'm mistaken? Which was my reasoning for keeping him

4 hours ago, Smed1986 said:

Hi guys, not long into my Nurgle foray and after some advice. My local club is starting a Path to Glory campaign and I was starting with the Blight War box and the Lord of Blights. It was looking to be purely for 'fun' and I had my story ready and was looking forward to games, however some folks started last week and have gone super competitive (according to my mate who attends GTs) so I'm wondering what are the best units to take?

No no no! Don’t even bother joining that. PtG is all about stories and narrative building despite its campaign system. The rules are so weirdly and horribly balanced that no matter what you build you will lose to some of the better warband options. Example: Maggotkin can choose a GUO (340pt) if we do so we only  get  two units. If Legions of Nagash on the other hand decide to pick a vampirelord on a zombiedragon(440pt) as their champion they still get 4 unit. 

This is just one but many examples. Thing is that PtG is meant for narrative gaming. This is the time to try out all the units you do normally use in your games.  

-Too many of the PtG rules balances poorly.

-Some of the battleplans are won way too easily if your army is build for it.

-summoning is totally broken for anyone but Maggotkin and Legions of Nagash.

Anyone who doesn’t care for narrative or storytelling and creating should stay off PtG of course this is only my humble oppinion. But if you feel like you are the only player who build your warband based on story and rule of cool, you will loose and I doubt that you will have fun dooing so.

edited: after dobbelchecking ptg lists.

What would you suggest then? Agreed on the -4 but also gives -2 in combat unless I'm mistaken? Which was my reasoning for keeping him

Are interested in doing a more demon heavy list or rotbringer heavy list or more of a mortal Nurgle list?

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Are interested in doing a more demon heavy list or rotbringer heavy list or more of a mortal Nurgle list?

I'd lean towards daemon heavy at the minute as I've got a Blight War box, Start Collecting and an extra box of Plaguebearers. Open to buying new models so not limited to those

Hi guys, a little question for you (i've already search in the FAQs with no results):

In the Maggotkin of Nurgle battletome the artifact "Tome of Thousend Poxes" say that you have a +1 to cast a spell of the "Lore of Nurgle".
Are the specific Warscroll Spell like "Plague Wind" of the Great Unclean One or "Eruptive Infestation" of the Poxbringer excluded by this bonus or they're implicit in the "Lore of Nurgle".
And what about "Foul Regenesis"? It count as part of the Lore of Nurgle?

14 hours ago, Smed1986 said:

I'd lean towards daemon heavy at the minute as I've got a Blight War box, Start Collecting and an extra box of Plaguebearers. Open to buying new models so not limited to those

Ok well here is a 2000 point list I made for myself to toy with. Havent gotten many chances to play it.  very tough and killy! The LoA flys with the drones and adds some rend, also rustfangs whatever they are in combat with making them do much more damage. also triggers their locus. Probably go with bell and blade on the GUO.. but you would convince me on a bell/flail combo as well. Gutrot and the ten kings ambush to mess with opponents deployment, harass backfield units, or/and contest/take objectives. festus hides behind the GUO but also makes CERTAIN to be able to cast blades on the drones as that is where their PUNCH comes from. especially with loci and GUO command ability.

You could also exchange the LoA with horticulous (to make best use of the blightwar box) for an absolute TANK of a hero the roll with the drones. He does trigger the locus and can heal one of them just about every turn! also can drop a tree with no restrictions except 1" from terrain which can be VERY useful if used tactfully. Its an even swap (points wise) but is most definitely a defensive hero. Good rend on his attacks though!

This is not THE list. But it would be mine if I played demons. Right now I'm honing my mortal/rotbringer list for NOVA

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)
Lord of Afflictions (220)
- Artefact: Rustfang 

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 147

If you would like to stick to all (well mostly) demons I think something like this would be competitive. Still got to have Festus for the blades of putrefaction spell though! nice he can hide completely behind the GUO! and heal him to boot!

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing 
- Artefact: The Endless Gift 
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Rotigus (340)
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Festus The Leechlord (140)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 138

@sal4m4nd3r ha ha, those are much appreciated but I meant for Path to Glory!

Both those lists are very similar to the two I've written, just a bit more refined, thanks for the tactical bits too, with only a few games under my belt I need as much advice as I can get to try and even the field!

I think I'm going to be building to the daemon list first, then adding the rotbringers after asbtheyre just to cool models to ignore and they're good from what I hear on the table!

Thanks again for the advice :)

6 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@Smed1986 well then..I’m an idiot! I’m sorry for being of no help to the question at hand. And seeing as though I have never even read the path to glory section of the ghb...I will see myself out lol

Both those lists are great in any case.

So guys... That 40k rogue trader video. 

Looks like possibly some more units. There are small maggot, flies and flea models which are all new and quite nurgley looking (the flies are basically the flies and a bigger one from death guard models on their own base).

Looking at the giant spawn monsters, one looks a bit non nurgley with the cleavers and one has sci-fi parts. Could be plague ogors?  The one with the tentacles does look more nurglyboi as does the one with a fly for an arm lol. There's also some smaller models with green skin wearing helmets that could be some weird kind of poxwalkers, doesn't look very aosy.

Screenshot_20180511-085004.png

Screenshot_20180511-085017.png

Screenshot_20180511-085041.png

Screenshot_20180511-085028.png

1k list wise. What do you guys think of the following 2 lists? I really hope they drop the points on the scrivner and Piper to 80. I don't see how they are worth 100 and I really like them (model wise).

Screenshot_20180511-135755.png

Screenshot_20180511-135759.png

Screenshot_20180511-140301.png

Screenshot_20180511-140306.png

14 hours ago, Riavan said:

So guys... That 40k rogue trader video. 

Looks like possibly some more units. There are small maggot, flies and flea models which are all new and quite nurgley looking (the flies are basically the flies and a bigger one from death guard models on their own base).

Looking at the giant spawn monsters, one looks a bit non nurgley with the cleavers and one has sci-fi parts. Could be plague ogors?  The one with the tentacles does look more nurglyboi as does the one with a fly for an arm lol. There's also some smaller models with green skin wearing helmets that could be some weird kind of poxwalkers, doesn't look very aosy.

Screenshot_20180511-085004.png

Screenshot_20180511-085017.png

Screenshot_20180511-085041.png

Screenshot_20180511-085028.png

Wow, these models are wonderful, I'm just considering how to put them on the table.. Plague Ogres and Bile Trolls count as ? Really beautiful!

15 hours ago, Ferrus65 said:

Wow, these models are wonderful, I'm just considering how to put them on the table.. Plague Ogres and Bile Trolls count as ? Really beautiful!

Yea thats what I was thinking. Also cool that some are nautical themed so they'll make good Deepkin enemies.

Man warhammer is on a roll for nurgle stuff. Now if only slaanesh got some love....

I dont think these awesome rogue trader models are nurgle specific. I think they're more like mutants - hazardous chemical mutations like from necromunda.

At the same time, I'm a bit unsure about the fluff in 40k - isn't it the fact that all mutation and plague (and even 'zombies' - undead) all stem from Nurgle in the end?

That said, I agree with proxying these models. I'm going to proxy the ****** out of them. They're awesome.

I've just come into a load of Rotbringer models making it very feasible for me to field an all-Rotbringer army. 

I have 4 Pusgoyles/3 and 1 LoA, 15 Blightkings, Festus, Glottkin, Chaos Sorcerer, LoP, Gutrot. 

1) have people had much success with non-demon lists? 

2) Are there any top notch synergies there that people would recommend? 

3) who would people recommend as general? I'm drawn to either the Harbinger's invuln or Glottkin's extra attacks across the boards.

Many thanks for the help! 

5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Anyone found any decent guides for painting new Beasts? I was thinking about following this Mengel guide for Plaguebearers:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/20/painting-plaguebearers-with-tyler-mengelgw-homepage-post-3/

Nothing about the tentacles though unfortunately. Any ideas would be amazing. Cheers.

Don't want to post the entire thing due to copyright. Forget what white dwarf it's in, I've thrown out the actual book.

15 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Don't want to post the entire thing due to copyright. Forget what white dwarf it's in, I've thrown out the actual book.

15262884365405923298879291321883.jpg

Legend, thanks man. It seems to be the January issue so I’ve just ordered one in, feel free to take the photo down if you like. 

My painting took an altruistic turn in the name of Nurgle.   In pursuit of Gutrot,  I picked up 10 neglected Blightkings dirt cheap.  They had square bases,  missing weapons and loincloths, and we're haphazardly covered in  a few thick layers of paint.

My bits box had plenty of spare heads and weapons and marauder standards and capes make great loincloths.  I even made up a few conversions.  So now,  nearly a month later,  their makeover is complete.  They will return to battle! 

IMAG0600.jpg

Archived