Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Since they're plastic I don't bother sealing, but I do use ardcoat to go over any puss and boils to make them glisten a bit ? I'll then use water effect liquid if I want something more viscus looking spilling out onto the ground. Only real shame is not having a water effect liquid that's a little thicker so that it would leave a nice drip effect from models

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently this list came first in Heat 2 of the AoS Warhammer World tournament:

GUO- general, grandfather's blessing, favoured poxes.
Lord of Afflictions- Rustfang
Festus- Blades of Putrefaction

30 PBs
30 PBs
5 Blightkings
3 Nurglings
6 Plague Drones

16 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Apparently this list came first in Heat 2 of the AoS Warhammer World tournament:

GUO- general, grandfather's blessing, favoured poxes.
Lord of Afflictions- Rustfang
Festus- Blades of Putrefaction

30 PBs
30 PBs
5 Blightkings
3 Nurglings
6 Plague Drones

I cant get how he can win. Pretty solid list but with many difficult matchup. All the offensive potential is on Drones with LoA: how did his opponents not concentrate on killing them and then dealing with the rest with very few to be afraid of? O.o

Most of all, what kind of utility had 3 Nurglings and only 5 Blightkings?

It can be useful to hear his strategy by his own voice, in any case: a big win for the Grandpa! Congratulations to him! :)

31 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I cant get how he can win. Pretty solid list but with many difficult matchup. All the offensive potential is on Drones with LoA: how did his opponents not concentrate on killing them and then dealing with the rest with very few to be afraid of? O.o

It can be useful to hear his strategy by his own voice, in any case: a big win for the Grandpa! Congratulations to him! :)

3 nurglings I see as an annoyance.

15 wounds that an opponent has to chew through in one turn it else any remaining bases are healing. An unexpected roadblock that I’d assume could be placed at the start, used for their deepstrike or even kept to be summoned.

In the games I’ve played 5 Blightkings used right have been very strong. They won’t be an obvious target priority but are resilient and can put out a lot of hurt.

6 drone and the lord of afflictions are again very resilient, hard to put down without a lot of focused attacks... and if they do that then it gives him time to get the two blocks of plaguebearers and GUO onto the objectives.  (If they don’t they hit like a truck)

They are very hard to shift and matched play is mainly an objective game after all.

Just my thoughts , I haven’t seen how Martin plays the list but overall I think it’s a really well put together list, yes there are some hard counters but get a little luck with what opponents you draw and you’re set.

42 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I believe he said he's writing an article for Warhammer Community about his strategy, should be an interesting read. 

I thought it was interesting to include the lord of afflictions. I remember initially people were unsure about that character, but he seems very popular in lists, likely because it's the only model that's both mortal and daemon.

On 23/3/2018 at 8:39 PM, Vomikron Noxis said:

Rustfang on a double save is rly strong and being a buffer for kings thanks to the reroll and being a daemon for locus its rly powerful, he will do low damage for 220 but he is a solid supporter

Ot, sorry for the quote but can't delete on phone

The more i look at the nurglings the more i'm quite interested in giving them a run out. Pretty awful against anything big, but if you can get them into the back lines and into ranged units and weaker characters i think they've got legs given you can't just chip away at them, but have the potential to chip away at their ideal maches. I think there's a degree of 'expectations limitation' but they do have their uses. 

Talking of nurglings, i really must see if i can find out if there's been any official rulings on summoning at the moment, with the big question on the lower level stuff. For instance it allows for the summoning of a single nurgling base, which strictly speaking doesn't have a points value in the list, and whether this means you can summon it in addition to your allotted points, or whether you'd have to keep aside say 33pts or so for it should you want to summon it during the game. 

10 minutes ago, FRoper said:

you would still have to pay the full allotted points for a unit of 3, but can only place down 1 nurgling base. it is better to save up contagion points for 3 rather than  base. 

The question being why is there an option for one nurgling base or 5 plaguebois? I understand it would be legit in open/narrative play but I think thats such a small slice of the community that engages those types of game modes I find it hard to believe they included that JUST for O/N

I have no clue< maybe in the future you will not have to pay for summoning units, or that it is useful for smaller games open play games, and thus it adds options for everybody wanting to play, not just those that use the matched play rules. 

Do not forget AOS2. 

Even now it is possible to fill Points with single models, if you read GHB2017 correct. But this is marked as "House Rule". Not unthinkable,  they upgrade this to a core Rule with the new edition, coming in June or July.

By the way. Its a cool and strong List.  Rustfang is a interesting choice. Good luck for the finals! 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

The question being why is there an option for one nurgling base or 5 plaguebois? I understand it would be legit in open/narrative play but I think thats such a small slice of the community that engages those types of game modes I find it hard to believe they included that JUST for O/N

Actually I think you may find that there is a much larger population that plays for fun, rather than matched play. If not GW would not be a billion pound company. 

20 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

Actually I think you may find that there is a much larger population that plays for fun, rather than matched play. If not GW would not be a billion pound company. 

Yeah in the UK there must be 500 people who enter tournaments tops, There's no way that's the whole player base for AoS in the UK. 

That’d be me...lurking and reading, playing for fun.

Current Project....

Great Unclean One

Sorcerer 

Lord of Blights

Kazyk the Befouled

Beast of Nurgle

6 Putrid Blightkings

6 Putrid Blightkings

14 Plague Bearers

14 Plague Bearers

3 Nurglings

3 Pox Riders

3 Plague Ogres

7 units, Sorc and LoB go with Blightkings to make 7s, the two Blightlords plus GUO, Sorc, LoB, Beast of Nurgle (my old world general reincarnated) and Kazyk make 7 Characters. Kazyk commands the 3 Pox and 3 Ogres which makes 7. GUO commands 2x bearers, the 3 nurglings (custom bases mini versions of the 2 Blightking units and a copy of GUO) and the BoN makes 7.  Totals 2000 points.

Much fun.

1 hour ago, Wulfshank said:

That’d be me...lurking and reading, playing for fun.

Current Project....

Great Unclean One

Sorcerer 

Lord of Blights

Kazyk the Befouled

Beast of Nurgle

6 Putrid Blightkings

6 Putrid Blightkings

14 Plague Bearers

14 Plague Bearers

3 Nurglings

3 Pox Riders

3 Plague Ogres

7 units, Sorc and LoB go with Blightkings to make 7s, the two Blightlords plus GUO, Sorc, LoB, Beast of Nurgle (my old world general reincarnated) and Kazyk make 7 Characters. Kazyk commands the 3 Pox and 3 Ogres which makes 7. GUO commands 2x bearers, the 3 nurglings (custom bases mini versions of the 2 Blightking units and a copy of GUO) and the BoN makes 7.  Totals 2000 points.

Much fun.

How comes you're doing 6 blightkings/14 PBs? ? You'd have to pay points cost for 10/20  no?

Even though My nr 1 chaos god is Tzeentch, with Nurgle close second. I feel more inclined to paint up my Nurgle army atm. 

First of all, I have painted a lot of Stormcasts and Free Guild for a long time. And I feel Nurgle is more different (grittier, more earthly colours) to them paintingwise than Tzeentch.

I also feel there is much better internal balance in the Nurgle army, and more my kind of game play compared to Tzeentch. Anyway, enough of backstory.

I have quite a lot of Chaos models, and some of the Nurgle stuff. And I wonder what is the best way to expand it.

Here's what I have for Nurgle so far.

Glottkin (magnetized so it can be used as a GUO before the battletome)

1 Lord of Plagues

1 Old Nurgle Chaos Lord

2 Nurgle Sorcerors

1 Festus

1 Nurgle Daemon Prince

1  Morbidex/Orghotts/Bloab (magnetized)

10 Blightkings

25 Plaguebearers

20 Nurgle Marauders (can make more, have started to convert poxwalkers)

15 Nurgle Chaos Warriors (painted)

10  Chaos Knights

1 Gorebeast Chariot (painted)

3 Nurglingbases

My first thought is to buy the Blightwar set. As I need a few models for my Stormcast as well. And I get some nice additions into my Nurgle force, more Plaguebearers and Nurglings, Horticulus and  three Blightdrones. Top that with a GUO and Ive bolstered my Force quite well. And I get the Wheel of Corruotion as well.

Only problem with this is that I only get Daemons, and Im mostly interested in mortals really...

What do you guys think? Good plan to expand the army?  Or should I go with Pusgoyle Blightlords? More Blightkings? Can I do any decent lists with this? And what should I look for next? Feculent Gnarlmaws is probably nice to have as well :)

My Nurgle army isn’t for competition, it’s for my own enjoyment, hence the fluff....the characters and units all have back story. It’ll see battle, but I mix in the level of rules to what I want, I want theme but also not to be way beyond the GW ethos. My other armies are themed the same way, and at 2000 points they give a good balance of fun play, I’ve been playing the same way since I first set foot in the original GW store, so I’m too old to change now.

I usually lurk for inspiration to get me through painting, but felt like I should post to highlight there are non competitive gamers out there after the earlier comments.

6 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah in the UK there must be 500 people who enter tournaments tops, There's no way that's the whole player base for AoS in the UK. 

Right! Didnt mean to imply that open and narrative players are less important or valued, but that I assumed that about 90% of people play matched play. This is different then the number of tournament players. 

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

How comes you're doing 6 blightkings/14 PBs? ? You'd have to pay points cost for 10/20  no?

LOL because he doesnt play matched play and points are irrelevant. Kinda proved my point for me ;)

1 hour ago, Wulfshank said:

My Nurgle army isn’t for competition, it’s for my own enjoyment, hence the fluff....the characters and units all have back story. It’ll see battle, but I mix in the level of rules to what I want, I want theme but also not to be way beyond the GW ethos. My other armies are themed the same way, and at 2000 points they give a good balance of fun play, I’ve been playing the same way since I first set foot in the original GW store, so I’m too old to change now.

I usually lurk for inspiration to get me through painting, but felt like I should post to highlight there are non competitive gamers out there after the earlier comments.

Really hope I didn't imply your contribution to the community, and the hobby in general is less because you don't play the way I do. But I want to clarify I was referring to Matched play (with points and additional army building constructs) and not about tournaments. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your list. I love the idea behind it, the thought put into it and the dedication to papa it exudes! Also, by having diverse subsets of units with different attributes, abilities and style of attack I'm sure its quite powerful on the battlefield and can counter a WIDE variety of opponents!

9 hours ago, Locien83 said:

3 nurglings I see as an annoyance.

15 wounds that an opponent has to chew through in one turn it else any remaining bases are healing. An unexpected roadblock that I’d assume could be placed at the start, used for their deepstrike or even kept to be summoned.

In the games I’ve played 5 Blightkings used right have been very strong. They won’t be an obvious target priority but are resilient and can put out a lot of hurt.

6 drone and the lord of afflictions are again very resilient, hard to put down without a lot of focused attacks... and if they do that then it gives him time to get the two blocks of plaguebearers and GUO onto the objectives.  (If they don’t they hit like a truck)

They are very hard to shift and matched play is mainly an objective game after all.

Just my thoughts , I haven’t seen how Martin plays the list but overall I think it’s a really well put together list, yes there are some hard counters but get a little luck with what opponents you draw and you’re set.

I definitely agree with you on LoA and Drones and i find interesting  your opinion about the Blightkings.

But i have to totally disagree with the Nurglings. Hard to deep strike (at least on the battlefield i 'm use to play), very poor offense and defense and no possibility to control objective in Knife to the Heart. 

I find the rustfang on LoA (instead Endless gift on GUO) an interesting choice, very useful combinated with the 6 Drones. But probably his opponents underrated this combo and ignore the LoA. Frankly i can't get a better explanation for this result.

(Don't indend to understimate the player who is a good one for sure :) )

9 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I believe he said he's writing an article for Warhammer Community about his strategy, should be an interesting read. 

I thought it was interesting to include the lord of afflictions. I remember initially people were unsure about that character, but he seems very popular in lists, likely because it's the only model that's both mortal and daemon.

I hope in a battle report or an article. It can be really useful. :)

Question. Both plaguebearers and drones have the plaguebearer keyword.

The spoilpox scrivener has a buff for plaguebearers, but it doesn't day plaguebearers in black capitals. 

This means it isn't referring to a keyword and would only buff the plaguebearer units and not the drones right?

6 hours ago, Riavan said:

Question. Both plaguebearers and drones have the plaguebearer keyword.

The spoilpox scrivener has a buff for plaguebearers, but it doesn't day plaguebearers in black capitals. 

This means it isn't referring to a keyword and would only buff the plaguebearer units and not the drones right?

Yeah unless it's in bolded captials it'll be the unit name. If it was PLAGUEBEARERS then it would cover any units with that keyword :)

Talking of open/narrative play, i'm planning on seeing if i can get someone else who's interested locally and try out the skirmish and then path to glory system as i'm steadily painting up more nurgle stuff as a bit of impetus to keep painting enthusiasm going. I don't like playing with unpainted models, so will also allow me to get some models on the table before i've finished off a full 2k points :)

Another question. Is the possible small heals and rustfang worth the extra points for a Lord of affliction from that of a demon prince, who seems better in actual combat and movement?

Noting I plan on a straight demon army.

Archived