Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

15 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

So I just ran across a nighthaunt player. I couldn’t touch him. His list as follows:

Arkhan the black

2x mornguls

2x carion wraiths

Knight is shrouds

3x 6 spirits

Mornguls slaughtered me and their -1 to hit bubble made my Blight kings useless. Arkhan unbound anything important I had and curse of years wiped my 6 drone unit. The spirits threw mortals like candy, too many for my nurgle save to stop. I couldn’t ge anything through his 4+, 6+ with -1 hit to most my army, his Morngul placement made a 27 inch across bubble of -1 to hit. 

How can I deal with this? Rend is non existent. My spells get unbound (Blades is useless with -1 hit anyway) I just can’t see how to damage him enough to get anywhere.

Thats Scary! I think You need to Focus on killing One Thing First (Arkham I suppose) and them mournguls, for That My Bet is Goin' full MW. 

Your options are:

1) Spells, There are options to avoid The summoning Range of Arkhan, foul regenesis, pague Squall or rotigus Spell. Guo with tome and Blade Have good Changes of avoid The unbinding attempt

2) Blades is not an Option now, but a Plague touched warband Could Work, Lot of marauders Very difficult to Kill and would negate MW from Enemies and Dealing More MW as They Engage in combat, with The Help of glottkin...

3) Festus, Helps depleting unbindindgs from Arkhan and Damages The Save of mournguls and even heals...

4) allies, cygors are Serious threats to Arkhan as is skarbrand ( but beware curse of Years ), cockatrices are Cheap and cause 1d6 MW with 4+

And thats All I Can imagine now

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing those marauder models reminds me that i'll need to get some sorted. I can't say i'm hugely enamoured with the standard models though - does anyone have any clever ideas for kitbashing some more nurgle themed ones out of curiosity?

I don't necessarily want them to look 'full blightking' but certainly a bit more rotten, festering, and a bit bloated perhaps than the standard models (difficult when the stock models are all pretty buff). I'd wondered about using the 40k poxbringers, or try and use bits of them, although the note about them being 'snap fit' was a bit concerning as far as practicalities for straightforward conversion go..

4 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

Seeing those marauder models reminds me that i'll need to get some sorted. I can't say i'm hugely enamoured with the standard models though - does anyone have any clever ideas for kitbashing some more nurgle themed ones out of curiosity?

I don't necessarily want them to look 'full blightking' but certainly a bit more rotten, festering, and a bit bloated perhaps than the standard models (difficult when the stock models are all pretty buff). I'd wondered about using the 40k poxbringers, or try and use bits of them, although the note about them being 'snap fit' was a bit concerning as far as practicalities for straightforward conversion go..

I wasn’t convinced with poxwalker conversions originally, but some great encouragement and advice on this thread convinced me to push ahead.

This is where mine are so far. 

7E1A7206-02BD-4787-A963-862C062025FD.jpeg

2232FC0A-02F6-4D81-9E51-2E09634D4F85.jpeg

6142AA79-2166-4A3B-836E-3441D19E7026.jpeg

Nicely done :) How did you find the Poxwalker parts in terms of fitting them together with some of the marauder bits? I'm a reasonable painter, but i tend to fail pretty hard if i have to crack out the greenstuff for anything more than filling ;)

10 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

Nicely done :) How did you find the Poxwalker parts in terms of fitting them together with some of the marauder bits? I'm a reasonable painter, but i tend to fail pretty hard if i have to crack out the greenstuff for anything more than filling ;)

Honestly it wasn’t too bad.

there was a bit of filling and a bit of cutting and trimming but that wasn’t too bad.

I’m definitely not very proficient with greenstuff and was my first time doing this sort of thing so I wouldn’t be too intimidated by it.

the hardest bit was working out which bits fit best with what

4 hours ago, Amenhotep said:

I made these for Adepticon. Going to be pumping 35 more I think for NOVA. All my mortals have trees and plants and grasses growing off them so I followed suit with marauders! Im personally a fan of the first picture with the tree growing out of his belly button *vomits*

https://imgur.com/a/3R9si

I used skeleton shields because they are a bit more degraded and rotted looking than the marauder shields. Plus I am in love with that studded buckler and would just use that if I had enough of them ahaha

@grungolah

DUDE that is a sweet looking army! I REALLY like the "racing strip" on horticulous!!! I know that is not what it is but it a seriously cool way to emphasize the spiral shell and a racing strip on a snail made me chuckle :P

That shade of green armor on the blightkings  I typically dont like but you pulled it off with great color choices elsewhere!! Really sweet looking army man!

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@grungolah

DUDE that is a sweet looking army! I REALLY like the "racing strip" on horticulous!!! I know that is not what it is but it a seriously cool way to emphasize the spiral shell and a racing strip on a snail made me chuckle :P

That shade of green armor on the blightkings  I typically dont like but you pulled it off with great color choices elsewhere!! Really sweet looking army man!

Thanks!  There are 5 different types of green (8 including highlights) in this army (and I had intended to just have a splash of green... these things happen).  Put side by side, it clashes and just looks horrible.  Perfect for Nurgle.

BTW, it probably is a racing stripe! I gave up trying to make it look natural, and doubled down on crisp and bright.  I even put a narrow black stripe right next to it to accentuate it.  It looks wrong which, for Nurgle, is just right.

10 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I made these for Adepticon. Going to be pumping 35 more I think for NOVA. All my mortals have trees and plants and grasses growing off them so I followed suit with marauders! Im personally a fan of the first picture with the tree growing out of his belly button *vomits*

https://imgur.com/a/3R9si

I used skeleton shields because they are a bit more degraded and rotted looking than the marauder shields. Plus I am in love with that studded buckler and would just use that if I had enough of them ahaha

I really like the idea about branches sprouting out of your poxrauders. That would fit perfect into my idea and it so happens I have just bought another ten so I might borrow that one.

I wanted my poxrauders to look like gardernes and groundskeepers working at the garden, ferterlizing the soil and such.

Got so caught up in the whole garden theme that I have been making a bunch of garden scenery, with much more to come down the road.

DE37697F-E3C6-496C-A3B7-87BC888091D9.jpeg

20EDA30C-6FA6-43D1-9319-852A213A86F1.jpeg

52380DD8-D102-40AC-8988-CEF0B150CEA1.jpeg

2D93170D-F3B2-41E5-BB7F-B82AEC0ADBAD.jpeg

D8FBA184-C3B2-4A5D-8A26-51B16F21D270.jpeg

D6E0B2F3-75C1-4A24-938B-7EDB0FB15629.jpeg

445C096A-3B70-4856-9FB5-BD2DFC68EAD7.jpeg

9F2CA93E-383F-4476-A68E-BF75F9E3F1F9.jpeg

741E8DB0-E914-4286-A703-481E4EEECF8C.jpeg

A little report from the tournament i've played today. 

My List was the one from page120. Thanks for the great support in finding the right Artefacts. I'm happy i spiltted up the ten men Blightkings to two seperate units. Five Blightkings are strong enough to deal with anything on a Battlefield.

First game vs Clan Skyre. Easy going. Mission was the Mission1 from GHB2017.  I rolled a 5 for the circle of corruption. Perfect. Two Doomwheels on the right flank, overcharging on two threes. I moved the Wheel into my charge range. The first wheel was down in one round. Three Stormfiends spawning on my right Flank then. I saved everything. Get them down in 2 turns, and also another Doomwheel. In turn4 i was charged by another Stormfiend unit. Lost one unit Blightkings, but charged with another Blightkings, the Harbringer, Lord of Plagues and Pusgoyles. Overkill. My opponent made a lot of faults this game. Splitting up his Army on two flanks was not good. The left Flank waited two Turns to long. 

Next Match was against Darkelves. Mission 4 from GHB2017. I underestemated their Damage Potential completely. 20 Dreadspears hitting me hard. Lost one Unit Blightkings quickly when 20 Executioners made their charge. Another Unit Blightkings only 2 Models left and my Lord of Plagues with 2 Life Points in Turn3. It was his Initative Roll, and so i was sure, this Game's over. But... I got 4-5 Mortal Wounds and 11 Wounds. Saved any Wound by Rolls.  My Turn then. The cycle was moving to four, and all Models are in Terrain so far. Bingo! The Lord and the two Blight Kings got both three Wounds back, including additional Healing from the Blightkings ability on 6+. I wiped out all Executioners and Dreadspears. On the left Flank my Pusgoyles failed their charge with double ones! But the third Blight Kings charged in, destroying his Darkshards completely. In the Last Turn i could take the Marker in his territory. Game over for the Aelves!

Last Match vs Daughters. Oh my gad! Mission6. I ignored the Markers. On the right Flank, two units Blightkings, Lord of Plagues and Harbringer slowly moved foreward, while the core of Daughters sitting on the Territorys Left and Middle. His Medusas killed one of my Pusgoyles in Turn one, ouch. Moved the last one to cover, out of sight. I kept my own Marker left. On the Right Flank i moved forward. He managed to concentrate Sisters of Slaughter here. My Blightkings failed their charge, so the Harbringer fighted alone. He lost 4 Wounds, but i saved three of them with Endless Gift. Now he was concentrating all Firepower on this one. He had two Reaper Bolt Throwers as allies. My Harbringer was down to one Wound after the Fight phase. What shall i say? I saved another Wound thanks to Endless gift, and got again Turn Zero from the Cycle. Three wounds healed and again Healing from the Blightkings, now in the Fight. I burnt his right Marker and the middle Marker, both for three victory points. My Pusgoyle was attacking a unit Medusas, but was dying when the second unit Sisters charged piled in. The next round was Hollywood like. Again, he was concetrading ANYTHING on my Harbringer. I saved nearly each Wound and the Rest with disgustingly resilent. Fives and Sixes in mass. In the final round i was using Grandfathers Gift, healing the Harbringer again completely. Two Unit Blightkings charged the Reaper Throwsers. Only my Pusgoyle was down finaly. His Sisters of Slaughter didn't made it to reach my middle Marker. No burning here. Thanks to the Markers i burned before, the game ends 11 to 7 for me. Great Daughters Army, but much to defensive in my optinion. This is no Army for Camping.

So i made the first place today. 

Endless Gift, Healing from the Cycle and Disgusingly resilent espescially saved my day! The Gnarlmaws also did a great job. Run and charge is another big big key feature, when using the Trees right.

Conclusion:

While i had great luck with Saves and Healing, my Initiative Rolls were mostly anoying. Any of my Armies would have been wiped out in these games. In my opinion, the Resistance of Nurgle Rotbringers is their true strenght beyond anything. Failing Initiative Rolls multible times? Doesnt matter! Just sitting it out with a low amount of losses, then striking back. The 6+ Hit proc from Blighted Weapons is pure fun, especially when rolling four Sixes and getting twenty Hits. I love the cicle of Cycle of corruption. Mortal Wounds and Healing in the right moment can change a game completely. This style of playing feels unique from the most armies i have played before. Two months ago, when i had to decide between Maggotkin and Legions of Nagash, Nurgle was the abolute right choice. For 1500 Points, i will add another Unit Pusgoyles, a Sorcerer and one more Blightkings to my Army. I'm just struggling with Gnarlmaws. I had "only" four Trees today. 5-8 Trees are possible easily to get from the Points. But i think it doesn't need more than five, when the first Trees are placed well. That's my view for now. 

My List: Harbringer of Decay, Lord of Plagues, 3x 5 Blightkings and 1 Unit Pusgoyles. 

The Pusgoyles did a great Job in the first two games. Escpecially in the first game, most of their attacks wounded hard. Against Daughters, all Rolls failed in close combat. But to be fair. A single Pusgoyle isn't a threat. Blightkings get a lot of Attack procs more. Pusgoyles are more flexible with their 8' Move. Not to forget their Digustingly Rolls. Blightkings need a Harbringer to reach the same level or durability. 

On 14/4/2018 at 6:32 AM, Greasygeek said:

I really like the idea about branches sprouting out of your poxrauders. That would fit perfect into my idea and it so happens I have just bought another ten so I might borrow that one.

I wanted my poxrauders to look like gardernes and groundskeepers working at the garden, ferterlizing the soil and such.

Got so caught up in the whole garden theme that I have been making a bunch of garden scenery, with much more to come down the road.

DE37697F-E3C6-496C-A3B7-87BC888091D9.jpeg

20EDA30C-6FA6-43D1-9319-852A213A86F1.jpeg

52380DD8-D102-40AC-8988-CEF0B150CEA1.jpeg

2D93170D-F3B2-41E5-BB7F-B82AEC0ADBAD.jpeg

D8FBA184-C3B2-4A5D-8A26-51B16F21D270.jpeg

D6E0B2F3-75C1-4A24-938B-7EDB0FB15629.jpeg

445C096A-3B70-4856-9FB5-BD2DFC68EAD7.jpeg

9F2CA93E-383F-4476-A68E-BF75F9E3F1F9.jpeg

741E8DB0-E914-4286-A703-481E4EEECF8C.jpeg

I'm speechless with awe! One question the tree in the graveyard is from citadel? 

39 minutes ago, peasant said:

I'm speechless with awe! One question the tree in the graveyard is from citadel? 

Yup it’s from the wyldwood forrest (or what its named). Took a single tree and filled it with skulls. I wanted it to have a sort of Sleepy Hollow feeling.

To be honest Im pretty happy with how this all turned out. All of the scenery pieces has loads of bugs, flies and maggots crawling everywhere. There is even a giant hive with swarms of flies coming out of it. Gotta take some better pictures soon. 

1 hour ago, Spiky Norman said:

You guys should post your pictures in the Gallery section instead of this thread where they'll eventually sink and be much harder to find. Then you can always link from the Gallery to a post in this thread. :-)

I haven't based anything yet,  mine aren't ready for the gallery!

3 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

You guys should post your pictures in the Gallery section instead of this thread where they'll eventually sink and be much harder to find. Then you can always link from the Gallery to a post in this thread. :-)

You are absolutely right however I gotta say I found it a nice change for the maggotkin thread to be more than discussing competitive lists. Mean no disrespect and I have enjoyed those debates too however this thread should be about embracing all aspects of the grandfather IMO. 

Everything I paint gets a Satin finish  (whatever brand you find at the hardware store should be cheaper and cover twice as much surface area as the hobby brands).  It's got a kind of medium gloss and is a safe middle of the road choice.

Archived