Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Hi all,

Been plotting a (probably bad) Nurgle list, looking to play an elite army as I've just finished painting a huge Death army, turns out it doesn't have any wizards either so that's a novelty... Anyway:

Lord of Afflictions (General)

Lord of Blights

Horticulous

4x Pusgoyles

10x Blightkings

5x Blightkings

3x Beasts of Nurgle

3x Plague Drones

2k bang on

Clearly it suffers from lack-of-model-itis and... oh my god how much for those models?

Anyone got any ideas about how it will fare on the battlefield?

Cheers!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Hi all,

Been plotting a (probably bad) Nurgle list, looking to play an elite army as I've just finished painting a huge Death army, turns out it doesn't have any wizards either so that's a novelty... Anyway:

Lord of Blights

Horticulous

4x Pusgoyles

10x Blightkings

5x Blightkings

3x Beasts of Nurgle

3x Plague Drones

2k bang on

Clearly it suffers from lack-of-model-itis and... oh my god how much for those models?

Cheers!

Looks quite fun. I'm not sure beasts of nurgle are considered great for competitive play, but they're useful for some of the Nurgle abilities which spawn them. For the 300 points I think you could get something more effective, but if it's not for super competitive play, I'd be interested to hear how it plays. 

5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Hi all,

Lord of Blights

Horticulous

4x Pusgoyles

10x Blightkings

5x Blightkings

3x Beasts of Nurgle

3x Plague Drones

2k bang on

Cheers!

Personally, I think you're going to get crushed.

Fun in a non-competitive venue, but if you're in a competitive meta, you'll want to expand on that.

Many thanks for all responses. By no means a pro player here so the list is very much rule of cool / can’t be arsed to paint stacks of 30 Plaguebearers list. 

Will swap LoB for Gutrot as he is cooler anyway and didn’t see his Blightking ability. Would still like to take one Beast though I recognise they are far from competitive at the moment, not a fan of Nurglings though, would swapping 2 Beasts for 3 more Drones be an improvement if not a solution?

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Many thanks for all responses. By no means a pro player here so the list is very much rule of cool / can’t be arsed to paint stacks of 30 Plaguebearers list. 

Will swap LoB for Gutrot as he is cooler anyway and didn’t see his Blightking ability. Would still like to take one Beast though I recognise they are far from competitive at the moment, not a fan of Nurglings though, would swapping 2 Beasts for 3 more Drones be an improvement if not a solution?

More drones is always the right answer.  Run them as a unit of 6, with horticulous running with them. He can always run and will charge thanks to the trees so he can keep up provide loci, heal them, tank and draw fire and provides rend. Wish you could make room for a rotbringer sorc to cast blades of putrefaction on them. 

20 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Is the blight cyst worth running at 1k?  It eats up almost 1/4 of the points and I'm not sure if the rend and additional shooting is worth it at that point level.

I would say no. You would be better buffing your blightking units instead. I fear you'll lack numbers to win the game.

11 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I ran beasts a few times and found them surprinsingly effective though expensive. The fact that they can always run and charge gives them great mobility. I found three beasts supported by a hero of some sort to be the most effective, tanky and not take up too many points. Also they look cool and are fun to play.

sincerly

A non competitive player who plays to win

13 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

I ran beasts a few times and found them surprinsingly effective though expensive. The fact that they can always run and charge gives them great mobility. I found three beasts supported by a hero of some sort to be the most effective, tanky and not take up too many points. Also they look cool and are fun to play.

sincerly

A non competitive player who plays to win

Sweet, thanks man, bought one in for now but would may well pick up a couple more. 

5 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Is the blight cyst worth running at 1k?  It eats up almost 1/4 of the points and I'm not sure if the rend and additional shooting is worth it at that point level.

Nope. Hoping for a big point reduction of the cyst battalions in this years ghb!

2 hours ago, peasant said:

Hi, I Have a 1.5k Game Against seraphon and Im a Little Afraid of their slanns, do You think Guys is Worth to Take a cygor and a Plague claw to Snipe Him Out? Thx!

I’ve found seraphon are a real challenge for us. Might be worth taking a max unit of ungor raiders and gutrot n co. If you can get blades of putrefication off on the raiders it can be devastating. I don’t own any but I adopted a similar tactic using marauder horsemen with javelins. 

I got a beast of Nurgle for fun, but yeah they seem over costed. Why would you take one instead of 3 deep striking nurgling swarms in a unit?

Guess we could hope for a points reduction in the next handbook. Nurgle needs some smaller point units to fill in gaps anyway.

3 hours ago, Riavan said:

I got a beast of Nurgle for fun, but yeah they seem over costed. Why would you take one instead of 3 deep striking nurgling swarms in a unit?

Guess we could hope for a points reduction in the next handbook. Nurgle needs some smaller point units to fill in gaps anyway.

Well im always looking for an excuse to use nurglings and if I only have 100pt to spend i makes more sense to buy nurglings than beasts but on the other hand 300 points spend on nurglings has a very low damage output but 3 beasts might actually do something. 

However every time nurglings or beasts manage to kill something tough I always feeling a bit like a proud dad?

like that one time my last base of nurglings killed a Lord Celestant.. 

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Im reading about the Bastiladon and its freaking tough, is there anything in our arsenal to deal with it?

I generally try to ignore it, which is tough because it's shooting attack is insane. I have taken it out once with 10 blightkings when it didn't have mystic shield on it, but even so I just leave it as the last unit to take out. You gotta keep key units out of range (my Glottkin) though, which is particularly tough because it can be teleported to within range!

It only has 8 wounds which isn't too much tbh,.

13 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I generally try to ignore it, which is tough because it's shooting attack is insane. I have taken it out once with 10 blightkings when it didn't have mystic shield on it, but even so I just leave it as the last unit to take out. You gotta keep key units out of range (my Glottkin) though, which is particularly tough because it can be teleported to within range!

Thx, I Will Have a hard Time I Guess...

My Army Will Be Something like That

1 GUO

1 sloppity Herald

3 x 10 plagueBearers

1 x 3 plagueDrones

1 Beast of Nurgle

1 plagueClaw

Tallyband battallion

All for 1.5K Points. I would swap The Herald for a poxbringer but IDK Where to Cut for That 20 Points!

Hello :)
I have alot of questions xD

What do you guys think is our most powerful Units?

-Rotigus? is he good? Pusgoyle Blightlords are they good?

And what is some must have models and units? For list building and for just having them :P

- I know that Plaguebearers are a must have for a unit of 30. I really like glottkin (however he dies quick) and Blightkings

- My gaming group says that every nurgle army should use Rotigus but he does not seem so good to me...

What are our worst units?

- Nurglings and beast of Nurgle?

What is our strength and Weaknesses?

We are pretty quick and can deal Mortal Wounds

What list do you run? funny and Competitive

And where can i read/hear about tactics for the army?

I haven't used too many of the units as I am using what I have, but plaguebearers are super reliable, blightkings hit like a truck but need a harbinger for survivability if you aren't deepstriking them, Nurglings are a great surprise unit for people that don't expect them. 

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Thx, I Will Have a hard Time I Guess...

My Army Will Be Something like That

1 GUO

1 sloppity Herald

3 x 10 plagueBearers

1 x 3 plagueDrones

1 Beast of Nurgle

1 plagueClaw

Tallyband battallion

All for 1.5K Points. I would swap The Herald for a poxbringer but IDK Where to Cut for That 20 Points!

Remember seraphon have bonuses against daemons. It's one of (if not the) toughest matchup for nurgle. If I were you I'd remove the plagueclaw (it's likely to damage once at most for the whole game), combine the plaguebearers into 1x30 and try and get some blightkings or more plaguebearers to fill the battleline. 3x10 is sort of the worst setup as you're not getting any benefit from the numbers and paying the highest cost per model. 

27 minutes ago, Congratz said:

Hello :)
I have alot of questions xD

What do you guys think is our most powerful Units?

-Rotigus? is he good? Pusgoyle Blightlords are they good?
And what is some must have models and units? For list building and for just having them :P

- I know that Plaguebearers are a must have for a unit of 30. I really like glottkin (however he dies quick) and Blightkings

- My gaming group says that every nurgle army should use Rotigus but he does not seem so good to me...

What are our worst units?

- Nurglings and beast of Nurgle?

What is our strength and Weaknesses?

We are pretty quick and can deal Mortal Wounds

What list do you run? funny and Competitive

And where can i read/hear about tactics for the army?

We don't have powerful units in terms of attacks. Nurgle are resilient, and in that sense, 30 plaguebearers are hard to beat!

Must have units? 30 plaguebearers. 

Rotigus is good, but a GUO with command abilities and artefact will be much more resilient and powerful as a support unit I think.

Worst units- not really sure. I think beast of nurgle is hard to fit into many lists, though it's not a bad unit. I'd vote for Epidemius as worst unit. I purchased the model to use in a pre-battletome list, but his updated rules make him pretty much useless now. 

Resilience is Nurgle's strength. Damage output is our weakness. Because matched play is all about objectives, low damage output is not really too bad if you can get to objectives and sit on them. 

This is really the best place to read tactics. Otherwise, listen to facehammer's podcast on the nurgle battletome for some ideas. 

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

The Bastiladon is great in theory but pretty inconsistent when you really think about it given the 2d6 attacks and then needing a 4+ to hit and 3+ to wound. Occasionally it's going to spike and be absolutely devastating (especially against daemons), but on average it's probably getting a few wounds, which have a -1 rend, so are still saveable, plus you've still got disgustingly resilient after that on anything that does go through. Seraphon have a lot of great buffing characters available, and i think going after the likes of the Slann and Skink Priests so you're not dealing with a monster with a 2+ re-rollable save makes a lot more sense - a priest on averages for instance dies in 2 turns of the D3 mortal wounds contagion ability alone (which you can keep switching back to in the magic phase), and if you can drop the Slann you can start getting some reasonable magic output as well. 

One other thing to remember is that decent sized units of Plaguebearers really don't need to worry about it due to cloud of flies, and characters can be mystic shielded to help reduce the damage, as something like a GUO is going to be a prime target for these things. They won't kill it, but without help it at least isn't going anywhere. 

Overall i'd say you're better off trying to contain it as best as possible and going for objectives instead. 

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Remember seraphon have bonuses against daemons. It's one of (if not the) toughest matchup for nurgle. If I were you I'd remove the plagueclaw (it's likely to damage once at most for the whole game), combine the plaguebearers into 1x30 and try and get some blightkings or more plaguebearers to fill the battleline. 3x10 is sort of the worst setup as you're not getting any benefit from the numbers and paying the highest cost per model. 

11 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

The Bastiladon is great in theory but pretty inconsistent when you really think about it given the 2d6 attacks and then needing a 4+ to hit and 3+ to wound. Occasionally it's going to spike and be absolutely devastating (especially against daemons), but on average it's probably getting a few wounds, which have a -1 rend, so are still saveable, plus you've still got disgustingly resilient after that on anything that does go through. Seraphon have a lot of great buffing characters available, and i think going after the likes of the Slann and Skink Priests so you're not dealing with a monster with a 2+ re-rollable save makes a lot more sense - a priest on averages for instance dies in 2 turns of the D3 mortal wounds contagion ability alone (which you can keep switching back to in the magic phase), and if you can drop the Slann you can start getting some reasonable magic output as well. 

One other thing to remember is that decent sized units of Plaguebearers really don't need to worry about it due to cloud of flies, and characters can be mystic shielded to help reduce the damage, as something like a GUO is going to be a prime target for these things. They won't kill it, but without help it at least isn't going anywhere. 

Overall i'd say you're better off trying to contain it as best as possible and going for objectives instead. 

Thanks for such good Insights. I'll try The following

1 GUO Bell, bileblade, Endless Gift,...

30 plagueBearers

30 plagueBearers

10 Chaos marauders

3 Nurglings

There are 440 Points left to spend among The following Units:

1 cygor

3 bullgors

1 plagueClaw

20 Plague Monks

5 Chaos Knights

Khorne half of The starter set

1 Beast of nurgle

3 Plague drones

1 spoilpox herald

1 sloppity Herald

And thats All no blightkings or pussgoiles 

One thing i've been wondering about with Maggotkin is the potential uses of the available allied contingent to shore up the last real remaining weakness of the list - that of ranged capability. It's made up for by the magic available to a degree, but against some armies (such as seraphon) you run a good chance of being pretty locked down for a good part of the game. 

Skaven seem the obvious choice if going down this route, and i was thinking that something like jezzails for instance would further enhance the factions character sniping capabilities, with a unit of 6 coming in at 280pts, and offering a good 30" range, good rend, and if stationery a 3+ to hit and wound with -2 rend and 2 damage, which on average should translate into 4-6 wounds a turn, which would be ideal for taking down support characters especially.  It does come with a degree of risk given the abject bravery though, so they could scarper after a bit of attention.

Alternately stormfiends with warpfire projectors looked pretty interesting - it's quite expensive for 3 models at 300pts, and short range (14" with move), but has the capability for 6d3  mortal wounds with no hit or wound rolls, making it very handy for dealing with  hammer units and stuff like treemen sitting in woods with arcane shields up, plus this damage output is on  a reasonably robust platform given the 6/7 wounds and 4+ armour save.  Bravery is ok too, so they're unlikely to run at least. 

Any thoughts? Or is this looking to fix an issue the faction perhaps doesn't really have that many problems with anyway?

Archived