Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

9 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

Did you order from the seller in Australia that was linked to, or have you been able to find other sellers?

I've looked on eBay, but haven't been able to find others selling anything like that.

Yep, it worked out well because I am Australian. Lol.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I still think for LoA if he is rolling with the pusgoyles that the rustfang is the way to go.

I've reread Rustfang, and after seeing that it's every combat phase, meaning in one turn you can affect up to 2 units if your placement is good, I agree that it's strong. I just feel so squishy against dark elves that my nuclear defense mode is activated. Run to the bunker! I'll try a list with Rustfang, a sorcerer and 4 pusgoyles, and one with Witherstave, a CSL with Carrion and 2 pusgoyles to see.

49 minutes ago, Injuryprone said:

How about GUO command trait on the pusgoyles?

It would be as strong as with Glottkin, it depends on the rest of the army. I wont take my GUO because I want a Plaguetouched batallion, but I would say it might be better to take a GUO than Glottkin right now to create a more balanced army point wise.

Hello,

Please give me advice, I have such models as in the list below, I will play the local league for 1250 points.
Today I'm going to buy a GUO model.  What can I change in the list, what can I subtract to add to the GUO list?  Limit is 1250 points, and I dont buy another models to the end of vacation to add to list.
Thanks for help.

image.png.93ca7b7834d4efb32c02d846e81f45d4.png

1 hour ago, Misque said:

Today I'm going to buy a GUO model.  What can I change in the list, what can I subtract to add to the GUO list?  Limit is 1250 points, and I dont buy another models to the end of vacation to add to list.

You could go this way:

GUO 340

Sorcerer 120

Demon Prince of Nurgle 160

20x Plaguebearers 240

5x Blightking 160

3 Drones 200

You could swap the Sorcerer for the lord of blight if you want, or remove it and put nurglings in again, but at such low point, not sure if nurgling are worth the distraction.

Personnally, I play with either 10 or 30 plaguebearers, just because you lose that sweet -2 -1 bonus as soon as you lose one, but right now it would be your anvil unit so 20 should be good.

I dont know if at 1250 you need 3 battlelines, but if you do, just do 2x 10 plaguebearers and you're good to go.

Report from the Field:

Played Battle at the Pass vs. Daughters of Kaine.

Glottkin

GUO (sword and blade)

Lord of Blights

Festus

20x plaguebearers

5xKings

5xKings

5xKings

BlightCyst Battallion

VS.

Morathai

Cauldron thing

Medussa

Support Solo Aelf

20x Witches

20x witches

10x snakes with bows 

Major victory for Nurgle - won  by taking all 4 VP locations after tabling after 4 rounds.

GUO, Glottkin, and plaguebearers went up middle; 5x kings on one flank; 10x kings and lord on other flank.

Some notes:

+GUO with endless gift played a bit forward of Glottkin to draw some attention away. It worked and he was forced to deal with GUO (and eventually killed it),  allowing Glottkin to survive until  bottom of 4.

+He charged 20 witches at plaguebearers (which were screening GUO and Glottkin) - That's 80 dice, with rerolling  stuff.  But because I had fleshy abundance up and wheel was  at re-roll 6's to wound, he killed only 10.

+A unit of 5 blightkings tarpited Morathai for the entire game. In fact I think only 3 of 15 blightkings died. They took the side objectives and then the back one. Having the GUO and Glottkin in midfield threatening any of 3 objectives drew away attention nicely.

Finally thought.  I think this list is pretty decent, It asks some decent questions, but I needed to get lucky on spells. Especially foul regenesis (cycling from 5 to 6); fleshy abundance; and curse of the leper - made a big difference. Mystic shield on Glottkin was a must.    I'm still unsure if Blight Cyst is worth the 360 points.  Debuffing saves with spells can do the same trick, but it's  hit-or-miss. I'll try both ways out.

4 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

GUO, Glottkin, and plaguebearers went up middle; 5x kings on one flank; 10x kings and lord on other flank.

Nice game!

Quick question from someone who got his ass beat by them all weekend: How did you manage to kill them all without that much casualty? Just the Avatar for me is something to bring down, even with 10 blightkings, the return fire is monstruous with his ability to deal 4 damage each attack. Was he playing really aggressive or conservative?

My friend is now making armies with unit of 10 witches now instead of 20, to throw away, they can take almost any of our units out for a measly 100 point (they have +1 to run, can run and charge, and can reroll 1 on run and charge, making them really good alpha charge), and he keep the rest near his cauldrons for a counter charge and it's real pain to deal with.

And I've played 4 times against Morathi, those 4 times he didnt do squat with it, even transformed, for me she's just a big unkillable tarpit if he bring her out after turn 3, I dont even waste mortal wounds on her now. I just hate how she's almost unkillable while our big monsters melt to 10 witches lol.

2 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Anybody figure out a way to do a "rancid visitations bomb" ?? If you could get a suicidal sorcerer with RV to survive a combat.. that spell is absolutely insane. 6 to cast and auto MW to all models (in one unit) within 3"??!

Why couldn't you give it to the Glottkin?  He's fast, and with his base you could get a lot of models w/in 3"

3 hours ago, Poltron said:

Nice game!

Quick question from someone who got his ass beat by them all weekend: How did you manage to kill them all without that much casualty? Just the Avatar for me is something to bring down, even with 10 blightkings, the return fire is monstruous with his ability to deal 4 damage each attack. Was he playing really aggressive or conservative?

I think he (wrongfully) was too focused on killing the GUO and Glottkin which were protected by the fleshy abundanced plague bearers.  He didn't devote much to the flanks where the kings were.  The one united elves died bottom of 1 after they killed 10 bearers.  The second unit of elves he camped  to counter charge a side objective.  But my GUO with help of gnarlmaw with long shot charge managed to engage them first.   2x5 kings came in next turn and finished them.  

Glottkin took down the cauldron.   The 2x5 kings took the avatar late game.  

Marathi killed 2 kings, but died to them + a few cycle#6 .   I did 3 damage at top and bottom of turns 3 and 4 I think it was.  

27 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Marathi killed 2 kings, but died to them + a few cycle#6 .   I did 3 damage at top and bottom of turns 3 and 4 I think it was

Yeah he should have focused the kings first, 20 wounds would be gone in one turn anyway with their kllling power, especially if he had 20 and mind razor.

As for Morathi, did you try to snipe her in her mortal form first? And if I understand the rule correctly, she can only take 3 wounds per complete turn, so turn 1,in the hero phase for me she gets hit for 3, then combat phase I cant damage her, then in her turn 1, she cannot be damaged still in the combat phase, right? We played multiplayer games too and that rule was crazy, she could tank for like 6 combat phase without taking damage.

I guess I was just very unlucky or he had some loaded die, because I couldnt kill his cauldron (with the avatar) with 5 drones, then a Glottkin and a lord of affliction, and he killed them all so easily. Same for his bloodsisters and witches lol. Cant wait for a rematch, I'll buy him some new dices!

21 hours ago, Poltron said:

It would be as strong as with Glottkin, it depends on the rest of the army. I wont take my GUO because I want a Plaguetouched batallion, but I would say it might be better to take a GUO than Glottkin right now to create a more balanced army point wise.

I was thinking of working towards:

GUO

Rotigus

Festus

3 x Toads

3 x Toads

5 x Kings

5 x Kings

5 x Kings

4 x Pusgoyles

I probably won't have Rotigus anytime soon, so I'll sub in the heroes I already have.

And if I understand the rule correctly, she can only take 3 wounds per complete turn, so turn 1,in the hero phase for me she gets hit for 3, then combat phase I cant damage her, then in her turn 1, she cannot be damaged still in the combat phase, right? We played multiplayer games too and that rule was crazy, she could tank for like 6 combat phase without taking damage.

That's not how we read the rule.  We played 3 damage per player-turn. So I could do 3 damage at the top or a turn and another 3 at the bottom of a turn. So 6 damage per battle round.  And he converted her before I could snipe. Even so, I killed her in (I think) 5 player turns (2 and 1/2 battle rounds) I think I missed doing the 3 damage once.  

And yes his mistake for not knowing that the blightkings were the bigger threat, especially with blight cyst rend.  I think, in fairness, I got pretty lucky with the exploding 6's.  (It's something I love about them - they have a huge variability in damage output).

I guess I was just very unlucky or he had some loaded die, because I couldnt kill his cauldron (with the avatar) with 5 drones, then a Glottkin and a lord of affliction, and he killed them all so easily. Same for his bloodsisters and witches lol. Cant wait for a rematch, I'll buy him some new dices!

Yeah, the cauldron sure hit harder than it looked - I can't remember how I took it down quickly. I think I got off a few mortals via spell and cycle before I was engaged with it.  It did kill the GUO.    I think I got some more mortals on it with GUO rolling 6's for it's extra save. (Almost forgot that rule!}.   ANother indirect benefit of endless gift, I guess. 

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

That's not how we read the rule.  We played 3 damage per player-turn. So I could do 3 damage at the top or a turn and another 3 at the bottom of a turn. So 6 damage per battle round.  And he converted her before I could snipe. Even so, I killed her in (I think) 5 player turns (2 and 1/2 battle rounds) I think I missed doing the 3 damage once.

After rereading the rules, I think you're totally right, a battle phase last for 2 turns, 1 turn for each players. Ouch, I'll definitely try to hit her more then to make him cry a bit and purge some of that hate for that rule being given to her!

15 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Why couldn't you give it to the Glottkin?  He's fast, and with his base you could get a lot of models w/in 3"

I figure thats really the only make use of that spell right? But you would need a sorcerer with blades to follow behind him. Maybe thats what festus would do anyway..? so there's a possible solution. Good thinking!

22 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Mostly because he dies in combat super fast. The Glottkin really only works as a support piece so he should be behind your army casting spells and shooting. Which he is expensive for. However the extra wound spell is great on a big unit of warriors for example. They become so resilient

7 hours ago, Stevewren said:

Mostly because he dies in combat super fast. The Glottkin really only works as a support piece so he should be behind your army casting spells and shooting. Which he is expensive for. However the extra wound spell is great on a big unit of warriors for example. They become so resilient

I feel like fleshy abundance is  made for  plaguebearers.  That 5+5+ and -1 to hit with 2 wounds becomes tarpit heaven. 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:31 PM, Stevewren said:

Well if you send him in vs the wrong units then maybe. I don’t think you have been using him right be cause I had tremendous success with him at adepticon. 

i am really interested in adding 6 skin wolves to my collection of chaos 

but since they cant take the mark of chaos i am afraid they can really suffer the area effects of kings/heroes and they cant use the charge run mechanic and the cyrcle of cprruption buffs

probably i will take them and use for somee games with few kings, any suggestion

(non competitive play)

Been running  this list a few times recently.

trying to refine it ready for events I’d going to later in the year.

i quite like how it plays but not sure it’s  “there” yet.  Any suggestions or advice from anybody who has more experience of competitive play? 

Allegiance: Nurgle
Harbinger of Decay (160) - General - Trait: Pestilent Breath   - Artefact: Rustfang  
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus The Leechlord (140) - Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Sorcerer (120) - Artefact: Muttergrub  
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Rotigus (340) - Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Chaos Marauders (180) - Axes 
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Chaos Glaives
1 x Chaos Warshrine (180)
Plaguetouched Warband (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000