Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

So I've settled on this for my first game on Thursday. Hoping the GUO is resilient enough and want to hit both sides with the Drones (backed up by the Lord on Demonic Mount for a +1 attack boon)/Knights while the Blightkings go through the middle. Playing a Fyreslayer army with some Vanguard Stormcast allies so have a feeling it's going to be a grind fest on both accounts.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Trait: Pestilent Breath
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 159

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Iradekhorne said:

Hi guys.

Sorry for the "offtopic" but I dont want start a new thread for a single question.

Can the drakoath warqueen be the leader of a maggotkin army?

I think I read somewhere about that, but can't remember now.

The Dark Oath Warqueen does not have and cannot gain the Nurgle keyword, so she cannot be the general in a Maggotkin army.

But that doesn't mean that you cannot include her, you just have to take her as Allies. Which would also be best, since her Command Ability only works on Slaves to Darkness units.

1 hour ago, Iradekhorne said:

Hi guys.

Sorry for the "offtopic" but I dont want start a new thread for a single question.

Can the drakoath warqueen be the leader of a maggotkin army?

I think I read somewhere about that, but can't remember now.

If you are playing Malign Portents, then yes.  There is a special rule that Harbringers can lead any army in their grand alliance, even if they are an ally.  The Drakoath Warqueen gains the Harbringer keyword when playing a game using Malign Portents.  She would still be an ally and therefore wouldn't get a command trait from your army.

This is very specialized and depends on the event.

1 hour ago, Poltron said:

Good job on your tourney! I'm the same as you, I replay past battles too much in my head,  taking too much time to move on, trying to figure out if it was just plain luck (or lack of) or a real misplay. 

I'm still happy to see Glottkin's able to hold his own.

I have to admit, my 3 days straight-back-to-back-gaming-session-without-kids  against the new Dark Elves, the new Death and Sylvaneth made me lose faith a bit in Nurgle's abilities as an army. Their synergies are crazy good, they pack a lot of punch (40 skellies are a real deal for deathrattles!) and the army goal is pretty straightforward.

Dark elves particulary, 10 littles girls with knives for 100 points, killed my Glottkin in one charge, while I can barely kill Morathi in 4 turns. Because of really bad dice rolls, I concur, (but still after over 10 games statistics should pay off), it felt like the highlights of the Nurgle's book is to be a pinata that counter with pillows full of dove's feathers, for those who would be allergic to regular feathers. 

After much thought, it seems the lack of rend on most of our heavy hitting troop is what make the dice game a tricky battle to get out off. My opponents were really lucky with their save, so even a fully buffed 5 drone units (2+ attacks, blades) couldnt even destroy their Avatar on a chariot with 4+ 6++, but when the chariot hit back with 4 attacks at 4 damage each, combined with the rest of his profile, he completely decimated my drone unit.

I've compared point values each time, and  I'm just not sure anymore why our troops/batallion cost so much compared to them, with what they bring to the table. My opponents arent afraid of anything nurgle I throw at them, while I know I cant let that chariot hit me head on, or Spirit of Durthu, or Grave guard (man those guys hits like beasts on 6 to wound, and regen so much wound per turn it's crazy).

So I guess where I am going with this rambling is, what exactly makes the oomph in your army or scares your opponent the most?

Games Workshop wont make money on pusgoyles with me, that's for sure (and it's a shame!), but I want to expand and the only real option I see is to spam blight kings and use Blight Cyst to circumvent our weakness, but it's not a playstyle I enjoy that much and would prefer diversity, and also because it would be a shame to put my Glottkin on the sideline.

I'll go watch those twitch!

Nurgle is all about resilience, but it seems that some of the new tomes almost cancel that out.

Regarding attacking power, the issue with nurgle is we have no buffs for to hit, and not many for wound rolls. Blightkings and blades of putrefaction require hit rolls of 6 to do serious damage, meaning if we're playing someone with negative to hit buffs/debuffs, we're screwed damage wise. Blightkings with attacks at 4+/3+ aren't worth half their points. Plaguebearers with 5+/3+ aren't going to be doing any damage. This is true of daemons in general due to the hit roll of 6+ doing the serious damage, but because nurgle have no rend and are generally appalling in damage output, we're just bogged down. In that sense, the movement increases are even more important for us to grab objectives asap and just sit on them. 

One list I've heard that addresses this is on the latest facehammer podcast. I can't recall which guy is taking the list to adepticon, but it consists of festus' spell, rustfang, favoured poxes and gift of contagion to produce a lot of minus to saves.  It should work as there's obviously lots of redundancy, having 4 sources of minus save debuffs. It should be interesting to hear how it does. I imagine that a successful nurgle force will use a similar way to get around the obvious nurgle weaknesses.

Having said that, my GT list includes Glottkin. I'm hoping to use a load of plaguebearers to stop anyone chargin him too early, because as in your experience, he goes way too easily. I think it's an issue with his warscroll. Wound in AoS just aren't that great a way to show resilience. Even 18 wounds can go pretty easily in the right circumstances. They need to make him cheaper or harder to hit or more resilient. 

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Wound in AoS just aren't that great a way to show resilience.

So much this. My opponent was always trying to counter with "But he have 18 wounds!" I dont even think he would be overpowered if he only had a 4++ save instead of a 4+, with the amount of wounds units can dish out per turn and the relatively high chance of a double turn.

Thank you for the ideas, my dream army was something like Glottkin and a pack of marauders + a GUO with plaguebearers to lead an multiattack profile army to combat to benefit the most from Glottkin's ability. I may have to cut it in half for now and maybe invest in marauders and a Plaguetouched led by big boy Glott to see how it goes. Each time I try the harbinger, the 5++ is nice to have but doesnt seems to amount to much.

I wonder if Festus/Rustfang/favored poxes/gift would perform better than blight cyst, for the points and the reliability. Just a -1 rend attack change a skeleton 4+ into a 6+ (mystic shield + bonus against no rend attack), a much needed investment if you want to kill them faster than he can get them up.

2 hours ago, Riavan said:

So thanks to whoever told me to get those new flight sticks for the drones. They are great. 

I'm still in the process of painting up my army but thought you might want to see my plaguebearer conversion haha.

Glad they worked! Are you gluing them to the drones? I'm just putting some bluetac on top right now.

35 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Glad they worked! Are you gluing them to the drones? I'm just putting some bluetac on top right now.

Prob won't glue them. Just stick them in when I need it and only move them by the bases.

19 hours ago, Poltron said:

So much this. My opponent was always trying to counter with "But he have 18 wounds!" I dont even think he would be overpowered if he only had a 4++ save instead of a 4+, with the amount of wounds units can dish out per turn and the relatively high chance of a double turn.

Thank you for the ideas, my dream army was something like Glottkin and a pack of marauders + a GUO with plaguebearers to lead an multiattack profile army to combat to benefit the most from Glottkin's ability. I may have to cut it in half for now and maybe invest in marauders and a Plaguetouched led by big boy Glott to see how it goes. Each time I try the harbinger, the 5++ is nice to have but doesnt seems to amount to much.

I wonder if Festus/Rustfang/favored poxes/gift would perform better than blight cyst, for the points and the reliability. Just a -1 rend attack change a skeleton 4+ into a 6+ (mystic shield + bonus against no rend attack), a much needed investment if you want to kill them faster than he can get them up.

One of the top 3 lists at Call to Glory at Cancon earlier this year was a blight cyst that took a poxbringer just for his spell so the army could stack the debuffs on TOP of what the -1 rend can do, a club member of mine had his vanguard wing literally fall to pieces because of it (pre nerf).

7 minutes ago, Garuun said:

One of the top 3 lists at Call to Glory at Cancon earlier this year was a blight cyst that took a poxbringer just for his spell so the army could stack the debuffs on TOP of what the -1 rend can do, a club member of mine had his vanguard wing literally fall to pieces because of it (pre nerf).

Thanks for sharing, I'll slowly buy my way to a small blightking army, those guys are good anyway as battleline and the blightcyst at least make them bite even if they're against -1 to hit.

Personally, I dont think blight cyst is very good simply because of how expensive it is. 220 for the battalion and another 140 for the LoB which I consider a tax because I would never field him other then to fulfill the battalion requirement. The only good thing about him is he is a great candidate for the rustfang which is amazing in conjunction with the battalion.  But its simply to much at "360" points some extra mediocre shooting attacks and -1 rend. 

I suspect we will see a re-balancing of battalions. Probably with a big re-work to how they interact with deployment and artifacts or other aspects of the game with point adjustments in the GHB18. If they are able to reduce the cost of the battalion it certainly has very good abilities and great potential.  

On 3/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, Tasman said:

Flys 9 rippers and brings out the 10 chameleons on my unit of 5 kings holding my objective.

Between shooting and cc I lose one king. He loses 3 rippers.

Just curious, what happened here?  I have a nervous tick brought on by a friend's ripperdactyles killing power.  I'm lost 20 Plaguebearers in one round to six of those darn things.  Rerolls hits/wounds and additional hits, etc.  I don't understand how 9 of them only did 4 wounds.  I'd like to know to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

15 hours ago, Riavan said:

So thanks to whoever told me to get those new flight sticks for the drones. They are great. 

I'm still in the process of painting up my army but thought you might want to see my plaguebearer conversion haha.

15221309899426391054503811674842.jpg

15221310113594377441464398392891.jpg

Excuse me What Flying Sticks? More info please!

10 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Personally, I dont think blight cyst is very good simply because of how expensive it is. 220 for the battalion and another 140 for the LoB which I consider a tax because I would never field him other then to fulfill the battalion requirement. The only good thing about him is he is a great candidate for the rustfang which is amazing in conjunction with the battalion.  But its simply to much at "360" points some extra mediocre shooting attacks and -1 rend. 

I find that it's too expensive, the only cheap and affordable choice being Plaguetouched, but I lose the demon part.

I will still grow my army to try Blight Cyst in the near future, but for now, what do you think about a Plaguetouched like this: (I really want to make LoA and Pusgoyles work!)

Glottkin (Blades)

Harbinger of Decay (General, Pestilent Breath, Muttergrub)

Gutrot Spume

Lord of Affliction (Witherstave)

30x Marauders (28)

30x Marauders (28)

5x Blightking (to go with Spume)

4x Pusgoyles (Having -1 to hit, 5+ 5++ 5++ near harbinger, and reroll to 6 against them with wither, I could almost use them as frontline)

Plague touched for 2k

It's either that, or Glottkin as general, and I switch the harbinger for a Chaos sorcerer lord or something similar.

I'm aiming to keep models I love, like Glottkin, Gutrot and Lord of affliction, while trying to make those pusgoyle work their points out.

7 hours ago, peasant said:

Excuse me What Flying Sticks? More info please!

They are just larger clear posts for the base of the drones. The ones they come with are not the right size for one of them (the one that has the hole in it's stomach rather than it's butt). Just got some 80mm ones off eBay that someone suggested and cut them down to be slightly larger than the ones from the box.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:10 AM, Riavan said:

15221310113594377441464398392891.jpg

Since no one else seems to care: Great model, I'm loving the idea and will probably steal it totally shamelessly. Maybe you can add a coat or piece of clothing to "hide" the lower two nurglings, so it will look even closer to the classic "three kids trying to get into the PG18-Movie"?

1 hour ago, worblehat said:

Since no one else seems to care: Great model, I'm loving the idea and will probably steal it totally shamelessly. Maybe you can add a coat or piece of clothing to "hide" the lower two nurglings, so it will look even closer to the classic "three kids trying to get into the PG18-Movie"?

Heh, I sent a picture of this conversion to my nurgling loving fiancee and she suggested the exact same thing!

Need help making a 2k list

this is the models i have, it would be cool to have a competitive list

Glottkin

GUO

Rotigus

Lord of Blights

Gutrot Spume

2x Poxbringer

6x Nurglings

6x Drones

30x Plaguebearers

20 Blightkings

what would work

thanks!

7 hours ago, Riavan said:

They are just larger clear posts for the base of the drones. The ones they come with are not the right size for one of them (the one that has the hole in it's stomach rather than it's butt). Just got some 80mm ones off eBay that someone suggested and cut them down to be slightly larger than the ones from the box.

Did you order from the seller in Australia that was linked to, or have you been able to find other sellers?

I've looked on eBay, but haven't been able to find others selling anything like that.

21 minutes ago, Congratz said:

Need help making a 2k list

this is the models i have, it would be cool to have a competitive list

Glottkin

GUO

Rotigus

Lord of Blights

Gutrot Spume

2x Poxbringer

6x Nurglings

6x Drones

30x Plaguebearers

20 Blightkings

what would work

thanks!

I'm sure others will be able to do better lists but this is something I just knocked up and something I'm considering running down the line.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
The Glottkin (420)
- General
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)
Great Unclean One (340)
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
- Nurgle Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

15 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Just curious, what happened here?  I have a nervous tick brought on by a friend's ripperdactyles killing power.  I'm lost 20 Plaguebearers in one round to six of those darn things.  Rerolls hits/wounds and additional hits, etc.  I don't understand how 9 of them only did 4 wounds.  I'd like to know to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

He rolled terribly, and the plague cyst worked well for me. Re-rolling all failed hits generated a lot of extra 6's for me. Those things have no real save to speak of.

In the hands of an experienced player, they may have done more, but whoever that players was, he'd need better dice.

11 hours ago, Poltron said:

I find that it's too expensive, the only cheap and affordable choice being Plaguetouched, but I lose the demon part.

I will still grow my army to try Blight Cyst in the near future, but for now, what do you think about a Plaguetouched like this: (I really want to make LoA and Pusgoyles work!)

Glottkin (Blades)

Harbinger of Decay (General, Pestilent Breath, Muttergrub)

Gutrot Spume

Lord of Affliction (Witherstave)

30x Marauders (28)

30x Marauders (28)

5x Blightking (to go with Spume)

4x Pusgoyles (Having -1 to hit, 5+ 5++ 5++ near harbinger, and reroll to 6 against them with wither, I could almost use them as frontline)

Plague touched for 2k

It's either that, or Glottkin as general, and I switch the harbinger for a Chaos sorcerer lord or something similar.

I'm aiming to keep models I love, like Glottkin, Gutrot and Lord of affliction, while trying to make those pusgoyle work their points out.

Pusgoyles can work! I fully expect for them to get a points adjustment in the GHB18 though.  the difficult part is making sure that making them better doesnt make drones useless or just "why would I ever take drones" since they have both keywords.. that is already a HUGE selling point over drones. 

I think having both glotkin and harbinger is a waste outside of an archaon list. I would pick either offensive or defensive and go with them. Kind of tempted to run the harbinger with a bell GUO to go 9" -11" (cycle of corruption) +d6 with run and charge and kicking back mortals on 6s. Add a plague preist with plague censer and pray wither on your own unit of marauders for the enemy to get +1 to wound against them but kickback mortals on 5s. with a 5+/5++ that sounds deadly!

or go the other way and run glotkin, double thier attack, with blades and hoping for the +1 to hit on marauders ability..you wont be able to get every in range and cant only cast blades once.. but thats 112 attacks hitting on 3+ potentially, with half of those doing mortals on 5s!

I would always TRY to run gutrot with ten blightkings. 5 is meh. 10 is scary and messes with your opponents mind. Especially if you give them first turn. an 8" charge isnt that hard and you  can hope for a double turn to guarantee the charge of get 2 round of 10 kings in combat!

I think I would run the rustfang on the LoA to help with low rend in the army. witherstave is nice, but -1 to save for entire game is HUGE. Dont overlook the carrion dirge in conjunction with glotkin's horrific opponent rule either! Had great success with that at adpeticon. 

Pusgoyles CAN work.. especially in a PT where you can double up their resiliency ... but its gotta be EITHER glot OR harbinger..IMO. 

6 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Pusgoyles CAN work.. especially in a PT where you can double up their resiliency ... but its gotta be EITHER glot OR harbinger..IMO. 

Yeah that's why I'm tempted to quadruple that resiliency with Harbinger and witherstave, but at the same time, Glottkin is the way to make them hit way harder (almost double the numbers of attack per model!) and I'm afraid they wont stay in range of the 7" bubble of the harbinger, hence why Witherstave was used with LoA.

Would you choose a Chaos Sorcerer lord instead of the harbinger? I need a 2nd non unique character to use that 2nd artifact, and it needs to be human anyway. 

For the 10 blightkings, I agree that they're scarier, but I hate sending 500 points somewhere where the help might not come fast enough if needed. I also dont know what to remove to make them 10, maybe 2 pusgoyles instead of 4, buff up both marauders to 40 and that would make it 1980.

I just dont know with Glottkin, 4 pusgoyles are worth even more than 10 blightkings if we just count the attack bonus boost.

Carrion could be better with Glottkin than a reroll 6 to hit too, having -2 to hit is better, both would be crazy good though!

So much to test, so little time (and money, mostly money ;) )

@Poltron

Well good thing you can have both! If you drop Harby and add a CSL with a carrion dirge. Maybe a generic sorcerer with muttergrub. Now he can cast Foul Regen EVERY turn and whatever spell you give him. Maybe Gift of Contagion for another debuff or plague squall for some mortal wounds. I still think for LoA if he is rolling with the pusgoyles that the rustfang is the way to go. That will drastically increase the killing power of pusgoyles. Maybe even consider losing the second artifact all together and running festus behind glot for 2d3 healing and ANOTHER save debuff.  

Archived