Character sniping

Forgebellows

Question

I can't seem to find anything on this anywhere by googling. Yesterday I had a character standing behind a unit and an enemy wanted to snipe him with a LoS spell. Do you actually lower your head and look to see if you can see a part of the model through the unit? What if the model is modeled on a large rock allowing him great height? It seemed like he couldn't see my character through the unit so that's the way we played it but both our characters had built up bases and could, in actuality, see each other because they were both a head taller than the other unit.

9 answers to this question

According to the rules yes - you do actually have to lower your head and look. Or use a laser pointer or something... which will almost always result in some small part of model being visible, so it's easier and faster to just assume that units don't block line of sight for shooting.

I find the game flows a lot better and is much less picky if you basically assume intervening units don't block line of sight. In reality they rarely do anyway and it saves a lot of "faffing" about - I mean who can really be bothered getting down to models eye level and debating whether or not you can see that guys right elbow etc!!

To be honest though, its not something I usually discuss with my opponents before a game (which could be recommended) and I can't actually remember the last time it up.

Yeah you can see almost anything through almost any units.  I don't feel bad hiding a Night Goblin Shaman behind Ironguts (but make sure I don't turn around and claim to be able to see you back on my turn lol), but otherwise use big terrain to hide stuff behind, where there's no question.

This is just my personal preference but when I play with my friends, we have our own convrntion whetr we always say that you must have line of sight to a reasonable amount of the model.  Obviously that's open to interpretation but it stops characters being sniped when only their hand or similar is visible. Just feels a bit more cinematic to me. However it does mean more getting down to table level to check LoS but I'm doing that throughout the game as it looks cool down there anyway!

Its worth bearing in mind that any models mounted on elevated bases etc are easier to see, but they will also have the advantage of being able to see their target easily over intervening scenery and models. Its swings and roundabouts really what you gain in one hand you lose in the other.

Archived