House Rules

I haven't played Age of Sigmar competitively yet, but I have been on these and other forums and groups for a while, and here are some things to consider:

The possibly biggest issue you will find is the whole "measuring base-to-base instead of model-to-model".  Whichever you use, make sure that it is all consistent and your players are aware ahead of time.

You will also have people asking if square bases are okay to use.  I haven't found them to be a problem at all yet.

Are you going to allow Legacy Warscrolls from the Compendiums?  This is something that needs a ruling one way or the other.

In our group, we don't play super-competitively, and basically just pick the "Rules of 1" and points costs values from the Matched Play section of the General's Handbook.  Battleline requirements are neat, but in our games they don't seem to make much of a difference.  YMMV.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

Are you going to allow Legacy Warscrolls from the Compendiums?  This is something that needs a ruling one way or the other.

No, it doesn't.  The placement of the scroll does not indicate legitimacy.  If you need a ruling on these,  then you need one on,  for example, Overlords.

Your advice to the OP on talking about bases immediately is, sadly, corrrct.

@OP - The base talk matters because some people will try to force you to change the rules to accommodate their desires and if you don't,  you won't get games until you rebase. Conform to the masses early or regret it later.

43 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

No, it doesn't.  The placement of the scroll does not indicate legitimacy.  If you need a ruling on these,  then you need one on,  for example, Overlords.

@OP - The base talk matters because some people will try to force you to change the rules to accommodate their desires and if you don't,  you won't get games until you rebase. Conform to the masses early or regret it later.

Do you not see that your two statements contradict one another? On legacy warscrolls, there's no reason not to use them because the rules are specifically set up to allow them. On square bases, there's no reason to use them even though the rules specifically allow them. 

Yeah,  I see it,  but there's a difference in degrees.  As much as it buhhhh-loooooowz that people are trying to force round and b2b, I have to admit that it has been adopted as the norm and I can even see why people would so it (not agree, just see).

There is zero legit reason,  zero rules difference,  etc.  to tell a player they can't use older, yet still valid within the current edition, scrolls - especially as a whole class rather than "yo, that specific one is awful."

It's beyond stupid to say that a peasant and a necrosphinx should be lumped together. 

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I agree, a particular Warscroll does not lose legitimacy because it is Compendium.  But I have been reading that some tournaments are trying to cut them out of their events since they are not getting new models.  I have several army ideas and conversions in mind for my armies that I would like to do in the future based on Compendium Warscrolls.

Regarding bases, I have no preference.  I am going to put all of my Age of Sigmar models on round bases, and I would never preclude someone from playing a game at an event I organize because they use square bases, especially considering that GW is still selling some of the kits with square bases, and in my experience there is no meaningful game impact on the tabletop.  If an event wants to enforce round bases or not, it is up to the organizers to make that ruling.  I was merely giving the OP my thoughts on what to consider.

In regards to the original question, you could look at the house rules used for SCGT last month at http://heelanhammer.com/scgt/

In the UK, common house rules are:

- Round bases of an appropriate size only (to prevent the fitting in extra attacks, and corner shenanigans of squares)

- Measure base-to-base

Less common, but still seen in many tournaments:

- Same named buffs don't stack

- natural 6s always hit/wound

SCGT House-rules do a very good job in making things less cheesy whilst still competative.
A (Matched play) House-rule I'd be inclined to add to it is:
- If a model makes a Missle Attack while an enemy model is within 3" of this model the range of the Missle Attack goes to 3".

What this does is cover the only type of Attack/Ability that isn't restricted in anyway for most House-rules. Which is one of the reasons as to why many Tournament top 3's actually contain massive blocks (or complete armies) revolving around Missle Attacks.

Link to SCGT House-rules:
http://heelanhammer.com/SCGTdownloads/SCGT17TPv1.2.pdf 

PS AoS has better shooting as 8th ed 40K :P So I hope/think GH2 will also do something with that. 

In my area, our house rule for measuring is "measure from the model, but the base is part of the model".  It solves the obvious problems with measuring from the model, but also retains the fun parts of measuring from the model.  We definitely aren't in the habit of getting on people about base sizes/shapes.

We also use for our Game Day events the house rule that "abilities with the same name do not stack".  It just clears up stacking Mystic Shields, and anything else similar that might be easily abused.

4 hours ago, KnightFire said:

natural 6s always hit/wound

Is this really a common thing in the UK? The ripple effect throughout the game would be huge and would pretty much require re-pointing the system. 

That's a giant change to the foundation of the game and would probably discourage me from playing in an event or group that played with this mod.

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Is this really a common thing in the UK? The ripple effect throughout the game would be huge and would pretty much require re-pointing the system. 

That's a giant change to the foundation of the game and would probably discourage me from playing in an event or group that played with this mod.

It is, but there are actually very few places it comes into effect, it is rare to have so many debuffs stacked on a unit that they need a 7 to hit or wound. Where do you see it coming up?

How is it that different to the rule of 1 "natrual 1s always miss/fail to wound"?

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I don't see how that's possibly true. I know it's technically possible to stack enough debuffs so that they are hitting on a roll of 7 or higher, but I've nver even seen someone try to actually play with it. I've never been in a situation where one of my units didn't hit on at least a 6. It comes up so vanishingly often that I don't even think the house rule of "6s always hit" is even necessary, so I can't imagine it would fundamentally destroy the game as much as you seem to think it would.

Archived