What to combine with Khardron Overlords for Order list?

bsharitt

I've started putting together 1000 points of Kharadron Overlords since 1000 point games are pretty common common locally. But on the off chance that a 2000 point game comes up, I'd like to be able to play that too. Instead of sinking all my money into sky dorfs, I though maybe I'd build out two 1000 point order armies that way I have a little bit of variety at the 1000 point level. Since the Khardron Overlords were my "if it looks cool, buy it choice", I'm looking to pick my second 1000 points specifically based on what might work best with them as a generic Order army both mechanically and thematically. Any thoughts?

I don't know about gaming, but the hurricanum springs to mind with its +1 to hit as an obvious synergy. 

The cogsmith has the ability to repair skyvessels as they have the war machine keyword

I plan on mixing in some dispossessed purely thematically. 

A cogsmith,a unit of irondrakes and a unit of miners along with a gyrocopter and gyrobomber in a joint venture prospecting endeavor 

Im toying with the idea of building the Aetherstrike force battalion (includes stormcast Prosecutors), not specifically to use as a primary option but just a good way to mix up what I build and paint while making a start on a new force and still giving me the option to keep Kharadron allegiance if i wanted to.

Fluffwise other Duardin or Free Peoples/Ironweld Arsenal comes to mind- they would be the typical trade partners of The Overlords I suppose. In game they could also provide a solid "Anchor" to defend Mission objectives or parts of the battlefield while the Overlords are more mobile.

SE were already mentioned but you could also come up with Sylvaneth if you can think of appropiate background story. I think the Overlords aren't the wood cutters their ancestors have been...

6 hours ago, Baardah said:

I don't know about gaming, but the hurricanum springs to mind with its +1 to hit as an obvious synergy. 

The cogsmith has the ability to repair skyvessels as they have the war machine keyword

I plan on mixing in some dispossessed purely thematically. 

A cogsmith,a unit of irondrakes and a unit of miners along with a gyrocopter and gyrobomber in a joint venture prospecting endeavor 

I would put together a brick of Ironbreakers for holding objectives.  Nice save with ignoring -1 Rend, if you wanted to throw in a wizard for getting Arcane Shield on them they would be nice and tanky.

Just now, BunkhouseBuster said:

I would put together a brick of Ironbreakers for holding objectives.  Nice save with ignoring -1 Rend, if you wanted to throw in a wizard for getting Arcane Shield on them they would be nice and tanky.

That fits thematically too, as Ironbreakers are Tunnelfighters, protecting the duardin mines against grots, skaven and other subterranean critters.

Much like the hurricanum, the Sisters of the Thorn pair well with anything that lets them hide in the back. An Ironclad rerolling all saves can probably go pretty much wherever it wants with out worrying much about anyone other than Arkhan or Tzeentch.

Archived