Ambush themed Chaos army in need of input!

Gnarvock

My hobby group and I have recently started up AoS after years of not playing Fantasy anymore. I drafted up an army list based on a 150 Wound game (we play by wound count, not point value).

I would love some feedback on it. I'm trying to make it fast and deadly. Let me know what you think!

Wildstalker Brayherd Batallion:

Beast Lord: 5 Wounds 
Great Bray-Shaman: 5 Wounds

10 Gores: 10 Wounds
10 Gores: 10 Wounds
10 Bestigors: 10 Wounds
5 Bestigors: 5 Wounds

10 Ungor Raiders10 Wounds

Non-Batallion Units:

1 Exalted Flamer of Tzeentch: 4 Wounds

Sayl the Faithless: 6 Wounds

5 Skin Wolves: 20 Wounds

3 Stormfiends: 18 Wounds

2 Chaos Familiars: 2 Wounds

The strategy I'm working off of is that with the Wildstalker Brayherd, I can setup all units within that battalion in an ambush behind the enemy force. Since the beastmen units can run and charge in the same turn, chances of getting into melee turn 1 are high.

All while that batallion does its thing, I'll try to roll and see if the 3 Stormfiends enter the battlefield. If I'm successful, I'll set them up close to the batallion and unload 3 Ratling Cannons (each shooting 3d6 attacks). That's shooting support for the batallion. 

Then from my side of the table, I'll have one of the Bray Shamans, Sayl, the 5 Skin Wolves, an Exalted Flamer, and 2 Familiars, who I'll keep right next to the shaman and Sayl for +2 to casting.

Turn 1, the shaman will try to summon a monster to come and support the batallion in the ambush (I'm thinking of pulling a ****** move and using a Chaos Mammoth lol). 

Also on turn 1, I'd have Sayl cast Traitor's Mist on the Skin Wolves, giving them a flying movement of 18 inches, which will make them fast melee reinforcements for the batallion.

The Exalted Flamer will fly around shooting ****** up, and in later hero phases after the shaman summons something big and Sayl makes the werewolves fly, they'll focus on summoning more Exalted Flanders to crank up the firepower. 

With those strategies in mind, what do you guys think? Does this force work? Is there anything you'd do differently or have me consider? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

-Gnarvock

Another good option would be wulfrik and a unit of marauders. Also I would go with warpfire projectors on the stormfiends since your army doesn't have good answers to high armor saves. Seems like a lot fun though and i love the idea. Let us know how it works out!

On 5/3/2017 at 10:59 AM, Stauderpower said:

Another good option would be wulfrik and a unit of marauders. Also I would go with warpfire projectors on the stormfiends since your army doesn't have good answers to high armor saves. Seems like a lot fun though and i love the idea. Let us know how it works out!

Stauderpower, those are sound points. Thank you.

I agree with you on the warpfire projectors for the stormfiends since the army lacks efficiency against high armor. I also realized I need at least 1 stormfiend to have a Grinderfist in order for the unit to appear near/behind enemy lines, meaning I can only have 2 other weapons instead of 3. With the other 2, I'll do warpfire projectors! 

As for Wulfrik and the marauders, I see the appeal of having them appear behind enemy lines too, however, they won't likely reach close combat like the beastmen would (they can run and charge), so wouldn't he and the mauraders be at high risk of just getting shot/charged at by whatever units I fail to assault? Being behind enemy lines, that could be multiple units attacking. I'd like to know how you'd advise playing him and the unit, cause to me, at the moment, I see them getting killed quicker than doing the killing. 

As I said earlier, sound points, Stauderpower! 

The nice thing about the marauders is they can come on any edge and can be within 5" so they can appear just outside of 3" of any unit ( you can't deploy closer as it says it is their move and you cannot move within 3" of an enemy but I could be wrong on that) so you can be pretty close. Also a unit of 30 marauders is a decent unit that can do some damage if you take each of their banners. They won't be killing anything really tough but they will shred small lightly armored troops and are a presence on the board being 30 strong to take objectives. Also if you keep sending wave after wave of guys you should be able to slow down your opponent enough to give you time to grab objectives. Even if your opponent targets them with a lot of stuff it lets your gor and wolves get into better position and takes some shooting off them. Anyway that's how I would play them in that kind of list. If you get in some games let us know how it works. Seems like a fun army as I said before and will catch a couple people off guard!

The problem with your warpfire projectors will be that you wont be able to pop up in range to immediately shoot using the base warpgrinder fists tunneling ability.  I suppose the alternate weapon for the warpfire stormfiend model (the morters) are pretty rendy, and have enough range to pop and shoot...but I'm not sure how great/reliable the morters are from a mathhammer standpoint...

On 5/3/2017 at 1:29 AM, Gnarvock said:

My hobby group and I have recently started up AoS after years of not playing Fantasy anymore. I drafted up an army list based on a 150 Wound game (we play by wound count, not point value).

I would love some feedback on it. I'm trying to make it fast and deadly. Let me know what you think!

Wildstalker Brayherd Batallion:

Beast Lord: 5 Wounds 

10 Gores: 10 Wounds
10 Bestigors: 10 Wounds
5 Bestigors: 5 Wounds

You really want a unit of 30 Gors for them to be good.

I've never seen anyone talk about the Ambush ability being really key to the Wildstalker.

What you could look at is 3 x 30 Raiders and that formation :D

Since you're looking at compendium stuff as well you might want to look at the chaos lord's command ability from the warriors of chaos compendium.  Make the first unit a marauder horsemen unit and it wont matter how far away as you'll have javelins to throw.

Archived