2k free guild with order allies. Help needed!

Kimbo

Hi all! 

What do you guys think of this? How can i make it better?   

saved 100p free for you to help me...

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General On Griffon (300)
- Lance
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage(320)
Cogsmith (100)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
30 x Freeguild Guard (240)

Units
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

War Machines
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)

Total: 1900/2000

I would like to have most of these models but pls come with feedback!

This looks really similar to my army!

I would consider replacing the cogsmith with Grimm Burlokkson as they are the same points but Grimm is better.

I would drop one Gryph-hound and 10 Freeguild Guard and use the remaining 220pts to increase both units of Handgunners to 30. They perform much better at 30 because they can take a few wounds before they lose their 20+ bonus.

I would give the Griffon the Sigmarite hammer instead and give it a Quicksilver potion. I have found the potion essential to getting some use out of him, otherwise he runs the risk of being taken out in one round of combat by something like a VLOZD with Red Fury.

23 minutes ago, bottle said:

This looks really similar to my army!

I would consider replacing the cogsmith with Grimm Burlokkson as they are the same points but Grimm is better.

I would drop one Gryph-hound and 10 Freeguild Guard and use the remaining 220pts to increase both units of Handgunners to 30. They perform much better at 30 because they can take a few wounds before they lose their 20+ bonus.

I would give the Griffon the Sigmarite hammer instead and give it a Quicksilver potion. I have found the potion essential to getting some use out of him, otherwise he runs the risk of being taken out in one round of combat by something like a VLOZD with Red Fury.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Cogsmith is changed!

- If I make the meatshield smaller for more Guns....Will. they work well as a screening unit?

I think you don't need to worry about screening the Handgunners. It can almost be better for them to be charged as you get to make another shooting attack. What I do is have the general's command trait be 'Inspiring' so I can give two units inspiring presence (or one unit, and use the Hold The Line ability) on those crucial early turns. (If I am going first I will often use it first turn to cover me over a potential double turn).

Deployment is tricky, and you might find yourself wanting to get rid of the cannons and cogsmith (which is what I am doing in my list). The cannons have a number of problems:

1. Because the cannons are so low down, you can't put them behind units as it blocks off their LOS. Having a hill is best, but it's not often the case you get one in a good position. (You'll want to be in range turn 1).

2. They are extreme glass cannons. Massive damage output but each one has 3 wounds at a 4+ save (the crew). If the enemy has range they will just snipe the crew and all of a sudden you have lost 400pts.

My first solution had been to bring a Steamtank. The steam tank parks sideways infront of the cannon crews turn 1 to block LOS to them. When it's your turn the tank drives away and the crew move to their cannons to shoot them. This gives the opponent a difficult decision. If they give you turn 1 they must take a round of cannon shots with no Mystic Shield. If they take turn 1 they can't snipe the crews and run the risk of being double turned.

However in practice I have found the cannons to either be massively effective (especially against armies with no missile troops) or extremely lacking (if they get sniped early by Kurnoth Hunters). This can make them frustrating to play with.

My solution now is to downsize to a single "Empire" cannon, and not use Grimm anymore. The Empire Cannon has superior range and so can sit right in the corner and be difficult to get to. The freed up points where then spent elsewhere (I used them to add the Griffon in my list).

I don't do too well competitivley so I am still trying to find the best tactics and list, but hopefully these thoughts will be interesting for you. Have you considered replacing the cannons with 6 Kurnoth Hunters instead?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General On Griffon (300)
- Lance
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage(320)
Battlemage (100)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
30 x Freeguild Handgunners (300)
30 x Freeguild Handgunners (300)

Units
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
6 x Kurnoth Hunters (360)
- Scythes

Total: 1980/2000

You mean like this? Bows on the hunters?

16 hours ago, Kimbo said:

- If I make the meatshield smaller for more Guns....Will. they work well as a screening unit?

Guarding 60 models with 20 is going to be tricky. Definitely possible, but you'll want to aggressively defend your flanks and keep your handgunners bunched tightly in the middle.

7 hours ago, Trout said:

You could get the Empire version of the cannons and swap out the two Gryph Hounds for a Gunmaster.

A Gunmaster is an amazing force multiplier! If you do consider bringing cannons, a Gunmaster is a great pick.

Also, a final note... the General on Griffon is a great unit, but it doesn't synergize too well with this army I don't think. It's a fast, hard-hitting melee unit in an army that's otherwise all stand-and-shoot tactics. Have you used this army on the tabletop yet?

10 hours ago, arka0415 said:

Also, a final note... the General on Griffon is a great unit, but it doesn't synergize too well with this army I don't think. It's a fast, hard-hitting melee unit in an army that's otherwise all stand-and-shoot tactics. Have you used this army on the tabletop yet?

Good point, maybe a Steam Tank instead? That's what I've been running and loving it (though I have only played a handful of games so far).

Archived