Washes Help

MrThoth

Hey guys,

I had a question I was hoping the community could help me with.  I have been watching the Maw-Crusher Warhammer videos and noticed that they are washing the yellow with Sepia/lamian mix and the Red with Agrax/lamian mix.  I was wondering why the Casandora Yellow and Carroburg Crimson washes weren't used instead, or if they had been how the end result would have turned out differently?  I have the more used washes, and just kind of seeing if I should pick or more of them, especially now that I am looking to try more of the glazing style blends, but just seeing what uses some of the other colored washes have if not for these kind of cases.

Hopefully that makes sense, and thanks in advance.

The Sepia and Lamian medium on yellow gives a different effect to using Casandora, it produces a kinda dirty brown look around the rivets and scratches in the armour.  The medium makes it more transparent, however you still get a strong tone around rivets and things where more shade will gather.  This way it minimizes the tinting of the flat areas of the armour.  Cassandora yellow is more suited to something like a cloak where you want a redy orange type of shading in the recesses that blends up to yellow.

With the Agarax I think it's to keep the red slightly de-saturated in appearance, the crimson would give a much richer colour more like blood rather than skin.

@Dez I haven't been able to try a test model yet for the Casandora, don't have the pot yet, but I have used the sepia and it looked good, but I guess it is one of those I don't know what I don't know kind of things.

@cb_rex ok that makes sense then.  So I have some pink horrors on the paint table that will be painted (hopefully) soon, so in this case doing a screamer pink then a crimson wash will leave them more in the red-ish tones than if I was to wash with Agrax, which makes sense.  But something like a dirty red cloak or something would be maybe better in the agrax to dull down the red.  Makes sense to me.  Thanks much.

Archived