Bonesplitterz: Putting enough threats on the table

Scrags

Hey all!

So I'm a new Bonesplitterz player and I've been trying to build some lists for various upcoming events. I'll get into list specifics in a bit, but given that I'm still new to Bonesplitterz, hell, DESTRUCTION as a whole, I wanted to make sure I'm coming from the right "philosophical" standpoint first if that makes sense. (I'm sure some of you are already like "Philosophical? Well you've already failed at Destruction" :P)

SO! The questions;

1. Given that we have trash saves even at our most durable, do we need to rely solely on numbers, or is there some hidden gem I'm missing?
  2. How do we balance quantity with quality? Or do we even bother? Is this just statistics spam the faction?

If it's worth any context, I've played Tyranids in the past in Warhammer 40k, so I understand the whole "quantity is a quality all it's own", but I'm used to having some linchpin units in my army to ensure that my opponent doesn't just have to focus down, say, one or two arrow boy squads. Also, having units that can go toe to toe with higher save armies like Stormcast seem like an important thing to have. It feels like Bonesplitterz are lacking in the mortal wounds and rend department. (barring Big Stabbaz) Do we borrow from other Destruction factions? Am I just overthinking things, and in practice we don't need them?

TL;DR Got my Kunnin' Rukks, whats next?

1 hour ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Depends on whether you want to stay pure Bonesplitterz (the advantages are pretty sweet) or mix in some other destructions 'lesser' Orruks (emoji6.png) or *whispers* beast claw stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true. I have pure Bonesplitterz at the moment (I like the fluff and the models so I figure it was a good starting place) I think for the moment I'm looking to squeeze as much as possible out of pure Bonesplitterz, but I'm defiantly open to the other factions! Beastclaw Raiders definitely piqued my interest. Even just a Huskard on a Stonehorn with battle-brew seems like it could go a long way DPS wise as well as being a pretty durable chassis for Bellowing Tyrant. 

I can see taking a few choice monsters here and there, but I wasn't sure how that stacked up vs the Bonesplitterz allegiance abilities and more importantly spells. Could be wrong, but on paper the Savage Lore seems to have some pretty awesome spells! The +1 to hit and double if not TRIPLE move in particular. 

Now that being said, it feels to me like Rampagers alone might be enough to win out against pure Bonesplitterz. 

But yeah! Let's assume pure Bonesplitterz for the moment. What are some good units to complement a Kunnin Rukk or two? Can you get mileage out of Big Stabbaz? What should I do for rend or mortal wounds?

Ian Spink has been running pure Bonesplitterz with a lot of success (came 13th at SCGT) and has lots of experience. I was talking with him in lunch queue. He likes Big Stabbas - especially in the formation, Monsters hate them - I know 'cos I run monsters and I HATE them! Also he likes to run Maniak Boarboys - think in a 2nd Rukk, as he manages to get them to pile in and attack 3 times in a turn!!

I've been running the mixed Destruction Kunnin Rukk plus Monsters. I have a 40 arrowboy unit. I frequently cannot get beyond turn 3 in tournaments as it takes so long to roll the dice. My advice is to only take one big arrowboy unit - I have lost too many games by running out of time when my oppo was slightly up on points, but had nothing left on table and I would auto win turn 4 or 5, but we run out of time at end of turn 3.

2 hours ago, Thanatos Ares said:

6" pile in - in the hero phase?? Erm yes please

I know that usually with Bonesplitterz you will take the full allegiance to get the spells and the save. But just for lolz,  if you take a lot of Big Stabbas and use Destruction allegiance with the extra 2" to destruction move...... You Destruction move D6+2" then pile in 6" all in hero phase - opponents face looks sad as their key units die unexpectedly :-)

2 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

Ian Spink has been running pure Bonesplitterz with a lot of success (came 13th at SCGT) and has lots of experience. I was talking with him in lunch queue. He likes Big Stabbas - especially in the formation, Monsters hate them - I know 'cos I run monsters and I HATE them! Also he likes to run Maniak Boarboys - think in a 2nd Rukk, as he manages to get them to pile in and attack 3 times in a turn!!

Nice! Good to know. I was looking at the Maniaks. Best case scenario 40 attacks from a 5 man unit seemed pretty good. Is it worth taking them in the Icebone Warclan, or is that dumping too many points into them?

2 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

my advice is to only take one big arrowboy unit - I have lost too many games by running out of time when my oppo was slightly up on points, but had nothing left on table and I would auto win turn 4 or 5, but we run out of time at end of turn 3.

Oh wow ok yeah I hadn't really even thought about that! Good advice. And you don't find it too easy to focus down? I assume thats quite an aggro magnet for your opponents. Though to be fair at 80 wounds and I assume with Inspiring presence on them they're durable in their own way.

2 hours ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Big Stabbas in a Teef Rukk are amazing just for board control. Monsters & small elite units will avoid the area. I run to units of 4

Yeah I believe it! Board control alone is a huge advantage, its true. Real quick clarification though, when you say units of 4 does that mean you're paying 200 pts for a unit of 4 models? 

Archived