Wanderers 1.5 K list

Dracothjay

Hi guys. Got a 1.5k list that I want to try out. It's quite balanced, but also has some aggression to it. 

Glade lord on forest dragon - traits/artefacts undecided

spellweaver

shadowdancer

20 gladeguard

10 glade guard

3 waywatchers

5 sisters of the thorn

10 wildwood rangers

10 eternal guard.

my theory is solely utilising my shadowdancer for every situation. My plan would be to have my rangers and forest dragon shepherd each other and gang up on prio targets, be it monsters or big units. Sisters of the thorn and spellweaver will support with mystic shield and shield of thorns on either the dragon or rangers to help keep them alive.

glade guard to pepper units as they approach, sacrificing eternal guard as a road block to buy me some time. 

Waywatchers to add small support and maybe objective grab along with eternal guard.

your views?

Looks like a balanced list. Do not send rangers against big units of non monsters unless it really makes you score objectives or takes it away from the enemy. They don't fight much better than 80 point spearmen (and they probably fight worse than spearmen with a size bonus for being 20) so they'd be wasted there since they don't have much staying power. Ofcourse they would strike first with the dragon there.. but anything hitting back would really cost you points.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Looks like a balanced list. Do not send rangers against big units of non monsters unless it really makes you score objectives or takes it away from the enemy. They don't fight much better than 80 point spearmen (and they probably fight worse than spearmen with a size bonus for being 20) so they'd be wasted there since they don't have much staying power. Ofcourse they would strike first with the dragon there.. but anything hitting back would really cost you points.

Well my glade guard will focus bigger units, hopefully a good bodkin phase could see a unit whittled down or even eliminated.

although I don't have a nomad prince for the reroll 1's, I prefer a glade lord in this list as I have a greater range to use on a unit and can operate quite a distance from my archers. 

Ramgers and dragon will go monster/artillery hunting early on with help from the shadowdancer which provides speed from double movement spell. 

Will be a tricky list to play I think, but my advantage is I have flexibility.

also, instead of eternal guard I could try and use wardancers? However, I need my archers protected and eternal guard with mystic shield, shield of thorns and fortress of boughs is a tough unit to crack so that's why I've chose eternal guard.

I think it looks well rounded as the others say.

If you don't mind a few other types of elves, I think lore master + shadow dancer + lord on dragon, is a very nasty combo. Could even be buffed by mystic/thorn shield from the sisters as well. 

Though then you would have to look for another battleline than the waywatchers.

I'm making a 1500 pts, waystone pathfinder list, but I would love to see a battle report from this army:)

58 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Well my glade guard will focus bigger units, hopefully a good bodkin phase could see a unit whittled down or even eliminated.

although I don't have a nomad prince for the reroll 1's, I prefer a glade lord in this list as I have a greater range to use on a unit and can operate quite a distance from my archers. 

Ramgers and dragon will go monster/artillery hunting early on with help from the shadowdancer which provides speed from double movement spell. 

Will be a tricky list to play I think, but my advantage is I have flexibility.

also, instead of eternal guard I could try and use wardancers? However, I need my archers protected and eternal guard with mystic shield, shield of thorns and fortress of boughs is a tough unit to crack so that's why I've chose eternal guard.

GG are not elite shooters,, their hit and wound rolls aren't that great.

Wardancers are not a tarpit like EG. I think EG has a role in every list. I'd not trade them out for wardancers.

47 minutes ago, jazzy128 said:

Though then you would have to look for another battleline than the waywatchers.

I do not understand this.

45 minutes ago, jazzy128 said:

If you don't mind a few other types of elves, I think lore master + shadow dancer + lord on dragon, is a very nasty combo. Could even be buffed by mystic/thorn shield from the sisters as well. 

The forest dragon isn't really optimized for solo combat since you trade quite a lot for his breath attack (he's got lower wounds and attacks than other dragons). If you want to take a dragon solo the darkelf dragon might be better. 

8 hours ago, Aezeal said:

The forest dragon isn't really optimized for solo combat since you trade quite a lot for his breath attack (he's got lower wounds and attacks than other dragons). If you want to take a dragon solo the darkelf dragon might be better. 

Exactly why I'm running rangers along side my dragon to add some support. Obviously my biggest priority target would be anything with monster keyword, then work down to lords/heroes finishing lastly on units.

and I agree, for a renown shooty army their shooting is pretty average. Sisters of the watch are amazing though, expensive as hell points wise though.

20 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Exactly why I'm running rangers along side my dragon to add some support. Obviously my biggest priority target would be anything with monster keyword, then work down to lords/heroes finishing lastly on units.

and I agree, for a renown shooty army their shooting is pretty average. Sisters of the watch are amazing though, expensive as hell points wise though.

Yeah a bit too expensive I'd say, actually the army lack any underpriced units I'd say.

35 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah a bit too expensive I'd say, actually the army lack any underpriced units I'd say.

Yep, everything's overcosted bar eternal guard and wardancers. What else could you use as BATTLELINE besides glade guard though? A 200 point unit of glade riders? No thanks, once again over priced lol.

although I don't have the models, I am completely considering exiles route, darkling covens to be precise.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:30 AM, Dracothjay said:

That's the traditional combo for them.  I've seen it effectively used since day one.  My only complaint about Rangers is the fragility of them for their cost.  The stats are nice.

On 29/4/2017 at 10:01 PM, Dracothjay said:

But for sisters BATTLELINE you have to make waywatcher your general. ****** command ability

Actually I think Waywatchers are better than Sisters. Even than GladeGuards, doing some easy math. I mean, 20 glade are 240 points. As 9 Waywatchers. And they seems kinda better. 

Only into a Waystone Pathfinder I will play Glade Guards. 90 Actually :P

32 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Actually I think Waywatchers are better than Sisters. Even than GladeGuards, doing some easy math. I mean, 20 glade are 240 points. As 9 Waywatchers. And they seems kinda better. 

Only into a Waystone Pathfinder I will play Glade Guards. 90 Actually :P

After 4 or better after 9 wounds... how is the damage comparison between the 20 GG and the 9 WW?

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

After 4 or better after 9 wounds... how is the damage comparison between the 20 GG and the 9 WW?

Depends. GladeGuards are really one shot one kill when they use the -3 rend. But after that, your are with 20 Arrows (3+/4+) against 18 Arrows (+ any 6+ that will add you more shots...so kinda 20).

But with WW you can choose to go with dmg2 and rend on 6+. Less models, that is not always bad (you can hide those better, get the range with all esiear etc) and you get a natural +1 to save into shooting. 

After all, I think I'll prefer Waywatchers over GladeGuards. Only into a Waystone Pathfinder, where I need to maximize the damage when I appear, I will consider GladeGuards. 

Need to bring some tests on the table anyway.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:01 PM, Dracothjay said:

But for sisters BATTLELINE you have to make waywatcher your general. ****** command ability

-1 to be hit in the shooting phase for all Wanderers within 18" isn't too bad, especially considering how prevalent shooting is in AOS. Worthless against death and khorne? Not as good or as versatile as the Nomad Prince's (or the Lord on Dragon whose ability is the same but targeted)? Yes and Yes. But unless you're up against one of a small handful of armies that aren't trying to shoot you I'd say it's far from garbage. It's an ability that suits the wood elves well thematically; anything that helps our *peerless* archers in shooting duels is good by me. Just my 2 cents.

Your list does look good though, and fun. I always have an infuriatingly good time trying to make a list, you have so many options but are constantly struggling with overcosted units. One thought was you could swap your 10 Glade Guard for another 3 Waywatchers, then use the savings to add 5 Wardancers and hit 1500 exactly.

Of course (only because you love quality command abilities) you could really free up your list by taking a Wayfinder as general and then your Rangers become battleline!

Wayfinder 100 points

Shadowdancer 100 points

Shadowdancer 100 points

Lord on Dragon 340 points

Wildwood Rangers 200 points

3 Hunting Hounds (summoned when needed by Shadowdancers) 60 points

Wood Elf Army with only one guy who can shoot Priceless

Their monsters won't stand a chance! Plus, when the moment is right, you get to say "Release the hounds!"

23 hours ago, Aezeal said:

If you only do straight damage comparisons the game falls flat, so it's a failure of logic.  One of those units gains a bonus attack that you can manipulate by adding a buff.  It isn't unreasonable for a unit of Bullgors to get a bonus attack on a 3+.  But a straight dmg comparison of that unit vs another battle line will show they don't appear to be as scary as they are.

So what are you saying, both WW and GG don't outperform each other? Both units have merit, I lean toward GG as my BATTLELINE as I enjoy and rely on my once a game Bodkin phase. However, I have never used waywatchers in units of 9 and I am curious.

WW abilities fast and precise shots are nice, allows flexibility and they do get a buff in cover. But I don't know if I prefer them to GG. I think I rely on rend 3 too much as wanderers don't have a lot else going for them lol.

Well if you math out a Glade Lord behind 6 Waywatchers doing double shot and 10 Glade Guard (40 point difference) you get 6 dmg from the WWs and 3.6 from the GG.  

I struggle with Glade Guard because they get slightly better from doubling the unit size, have a one-off ability.  Waywatchers can use their ability every turn, have a higher dmg to point ratio and adding the Hurricanum benefits them in two ways.  

Also WWs have a better save, an ability in cover to reduce incoming ranged fire and I believe they are better in CC?  

And it's not a great comparison because it is 3 models for 80 points vs 10 for 120.  But I just feel they don't add anything nor is there much synergy that adds to them. 

High Elf Shades can be an deployment denier.  So they can go camp in some woods to mess up Sylvaneth hoping in there.  Or they can stop some movement shenanigans too.

Sure as a Battle line unit GG shouldn't necessarily have that and the rend is good but it seems limiting, large footprint and over the game they contribute less and less it seems.

I think you shouldn't underestimate the value of bodies in the objective game. Not to mention that a unit of 9 (or 3x3) WW will drop in damage output quickly once targetted as I said to cerve... They are prime targets for things like arcane bolts.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

I think you shouldn't underestimate the value of bodies in the objective game. Not to mention that a unit of 9 (or 3x3) WW will drop in damage output quickly once targetted as I said to cerve... They are prime targets for things like arcane bolts.

Glade Guards are even worse in that. No +1 nature saving, and worse stats makes wounded GG units really bad. 

3 Waywatcher can almost try to get a -2 2dmg hit. 

Plus, you can play 9 WW, or you can play those into 3x3 squads. Which are even better all in all.

Anyway, GG are not the right blob for objectives. Not an high bravery, and too squishy for their costs. 

Archived