Crypt Horrors or Crypt Flayers 'Deathstar'

ZealousJ

Hi all.

Now that I'm considering a death army with flesh eater elements I was wondering if I could call on a little advice.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to run a ghoul king on terrorgheist along with a large unit (points value dependent) crypt flayers or crypt horrors. I'd thought the idea of fast relatively hard hitting multi wound monsters with a 5+/5+/5+ save could be a really solid vanguard.

I'm wondering if those more experienced would go for crypt flayers or crypt horrors for this role?

I have searched and i know this question has come up before. However, the discussions I've found all took place fairly soon after the release of FEC. 

As far as I can tell:

Horrors

- are slightly more tanky with the auto regeneration Should an enemy say inflict nine wounds, two would die and that last wound would be healed. Combine that with the chance for a varghulf to replenish one and suddenly nine wounds could become effectively four.

- they do better at clearing out large units and I assume deal more damage against anything with an average save.

- the reroll to hit is quite a big deal 

- considering they're the slower option they're still pretty fast.

Crypt Flayers

- Fast and flying seems like a big deal

- A little rend in an army largely lacking in rend

- Mortal wound output is an excellent cure all

- an actual (though temperamental) shooting attack.

As I understand it the Crypt Horrors are generally considered the better shock troopers.

I'm quite interested in anecdotal opinions as I've yet to actually play age of sigmar yet and despite the rule set being very simple it seems to me to be very nuanced. 

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Someone did the math in another thread (maybe it was in Reddit/Age of Simar). Anyway, the maths give the Horrors the nod in almost all situations. That, and you have Battalions to consider. For Flyers the Deadwatch seems pretty nasty. But I like the look of the Abbatoir (Roll a dice for every enemy MODEL w/in 3" of Abbatoir unit, on 6 causes mortal wound). And some other Battalions use Horrors too.

Anyhow, after realizing it was going to be very tough to magentize, I modeled mine as 9 horrors and 2 haunter courtiers with an aim towards an Abbatoir.

I've played all of one game (and lost to of all things a FEC Ghoul Patrol) but my two units of horros backed by the courtiers (and a varghulf coutier) didn't look like were going to every be killed off ever with all the regen I was getting.  

Anyone my 2 cents, after a single game. 

horrors for the wall,  flayers for impact. It's two different ways of using, not a better way.

Usially I summon such unit so I can choose which ine is needed

I dont't have prilems cause I magnetozed them, soon I'll prepare and post a video about it^^

I prefer the Horrors, as they generally put out more damage overall and are tankier, plus when you have a ghoul king nearby and cast the spell from the king on Zombie Dragon that re-rolls wounds, you re-roll hits AND wounds, and it's insanely nasty.  However, the main drawback is that they have no Rend so anything with a decent save will laugh at your damage output and then beat the ****** out of you  because 4 wounds with a 5+ save (let's ignore Deathless/Undying at the moment) means that anything that will wound you is likely going to get through.

Flayers are less dangerous overall, but have -1 rend which can help because FEC lacks rend and have a chance at mortal wounds, but aren't nearly as reliable.

10 hours ago, wayniac said:

I prefer the Horrors, as they generally put out more damage overall and are tankier, plus when you have a ghoul king nearby and cast the spell from the king on Zombie Dragon that re-rolls wounds, you re-roll hits AND wounds, and it's insanely nasty.  However, the main drawback is that they have no Rend so anything with a decent save will laugh at your damage output and then beat the ****** out of you  because 4 wounds with a 5+ save (let's ignore Deathless/Undying at the moment) means that anything that will wound you is likely going to get through.

Flayers are less dangerous overall, but have -1 rend which can help because FEC lacks rend and have a chance at mortal wounds, but aren't nearly as reliable.

less dangerous? the flyers are faster and have also the cry. ok, against high bravery units it's useless, but not everyone play deamons and undead

You have a lot of posts for somebody who has yet to play!

Glad to hear you're excited about planning an army.

It would be worthwhile to proxy a list against an opponent or even yourself and just throw some dice down and see what 6/9/12 horrors vs flayers looks like.

For an all melee army, it's easy to underestimate the value of 12" of flying movement. You might find Flayers more expensive or slightly less resilient, but being able to get more into combat because of high movement, flying over while charging, or simply being in combat a turn earlier because they're significantly faster...those are some reasons you should consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Horrors. 2 units of at least 6 will wreck. Run them within 15" of a ghoul king for rerolls.  You don't need rend when you have so many attacks.  Add vampire lord for funsies for +1 attack. 

Two days ago ago I wrecked 6 kurnoth hunters in one round of combat. Sylvaneth player was a bit shocked at how effective they are. He killed 2 in next turn that then got regenerates by vargulf.  It's pretty hardcore. 

Archived