Aetherwing can charge?

kozokus

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes. Although it could be clearer. It's a 2 D6 move in the charge phase - consider the magenta table in the December FAQ. I'm guessing that the wording is like it is so that the Aetherwings can move other than charging e.g. if they don't have the reach. 

Rule for Watchful Guardians is>

Start of opponents charge phase, if Aetherwings are within 12" of a friendly unit of Vanguard-Raptors they can move 2d6" immediately.

They can't run (ie can't add a d6) but they can retreat.

They can't move further than 12" from the Vanguard-Raptors.

Separately (another ability> Swooping Hunters) they can retreat and charge in the same turn.

So for my money they move in the opponent's charge phase so obey movement rules unless otherwise stated. They can't come within 3" of the enemy.

27 minutes ago, Nico said:

consider the magenta table in the December FAQ

Thanks both of you. Forgot that one.

I asked because it was a movement that do not happened in the movement phase (and it says in da rules that only a move in the movement phase have the 3" limit) and it is not said in the aetherwing warscroll that was a movement "like in the movement phase".

I guess the Spirit Of The Rule™ is that you cannot get within 3".

It's interesting. The wording is "they may move up to this many inches", which is different than moving as if it were the movement phase.

That distinction alone would make me think they could end within 3", per the FAQ.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

There was much debate on this in the Stormbro's Whatsapp group - which features many err... luminaries.. but there was no consensus. The parting thought appeared to be that the (latest magenta) FAQ on movement dictates (via absence if nothing else) that a charge is a move.  I charged them all last weekend to great effect.

I agree with Marc (although I repeat that the wording is cryptic - probably because the rules are allowing it to move even if you don't get into the half inch range needed for a charge). A charge is plainly a move (it's in the table of types of move); and this is a move within the charge phase of 2D6 inches - hence it is very likely that this can be used as a charge to get within 3" (but doesn't have to be).

If Aetherwing can't move with "Watchful Guardians" skill within 3" of enemy model. So, this skill will be very useless. Here's why

1. If enemy unit stay away 3" from your vanguard-raptor when beginning of charge phase. You can't move your Aetherwing to screen that unit at all.

2. Even enemy unit stay away more than 3" from your vanguard-raptor, and you move your Aetherwing to screen that unit. If its charge roll is high enough they can ignore your Aetherwing and charge directly to your vanguard-raptor.

Archived