Underdogs Nurgle Plog

So like so many before me in using this as a means of motivation. I started Wargaming as a wee nipper back when fantasy and 40k were about the only games readily available.

Eventually I branched out to many, many other games and fell out of love with Warhammer. The new AoS didn't speak to me and I felt like Warhammer was dead to me. Then I actually gave it a try. I havnt enjoyed a large scale game (even at my initial 800 points game) since I played Warhammer all those years ago.

So finally I decided I wanted to play the bad guys. I always end up playing the good guys no matter how hard I try. But lets face it old pappa Nurgle isn't that bad right?

Anyways apologies for the random introduction. I'm trying to achieve an army I'm really proud of and stands out from the crowd.

So I'm looking to get all the great painters on here to help steer me in the right direction. I've made a start on my first unit of plague bearers. I want them to resemble the art work of GW but be different, darker and more sinister.

So any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

WP_20170423_13_01_32_Pro.jpg

Really nice work. I really like the contrast of the greenish body with the red/pink gore, with the brighter pustules and the burning blue eyes.

Something I see in Nurgle armies is a lack of contrast, and although they're often painted really well and look great on close inspection, when viewed at a bit of distance and in a group they turn into a greenish-brown blob. You've avoided that pitfall really well.

Looking good! Is it just the photo or have you highlighted more on the right side? It looks like some good zenithal highlighting and really helps the models stand out. 

I love the green tone as well. It's more saturated than most nurgle stuff you see and really pops even though it's quite dark. 

Well done

P.S- It'd be good to see them with finished bases. What are you going to do?

I have done a zenithal highlight and thank you. Wanted it quite subtle so glad it is still noticeable :)

Here's a WIP of the bases. Going to make them look like they are starting to freeze and add some snow etc like they are bring winter and death with them. Well that's the plan anyways.

I've not had much time of late to work on them so they are going slow. But will get more pics when I get some progress of note!

WP_20170501_12_07_13_Pro.jpg

Ok so got the first 9 complete, had 10 but missed a couple of stages batch painting on one of them so he will go in with the next lot :)

They currently have a clear lacquer on for protection. But debating if I should matt varnish? Also blood for the blood god?

Once I've decided on the finish ill add some brighter rust pigments to the weapons :)

WP_20170504_10_17_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170504_10_17_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170504_10_17_46_Pro.jpg

Where do you buy the resin, and any tips on how to make it work? I'm basing my nurgle somewhat the same way, but I'm using a mixture of super glue and PVA glue to make some weird organic matter, since my goal is to make something similar to the zerg's creep. I figured encasing them in clear resin will make them pop though, so was wondering how to do it. I know woodland scenic has realistic water, but so far I'm trying to see if there're better (cheaper) alternatives out there.

I ended up using woodland Scenics water effects in the end. It is a bit on the expensive time but its a big bottle and with the amount used per base its quite inexpensive in the long run. I just wrapped the base with cellotape before pouring. I used mdf bases as the GW ones have a bevel on them so you either get wonky shaped edges or when running flush the taper inwards.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Oh and I added the tiniest bit of ink before using to tint it slightly blue. Although you could use whatever colour suits best :)

On 5/4/2017 at 7:51 AM, underdog6750 said:

I ended up using woodland Scenics water effects in the end. It is a bit on the expensive time but its a big bottle and with the amount used per base its quite inexpensive in the long run. I just wrapped the base with cellotape before pouring. I used mdf bases as the GW ones have a bevel on them so you either get wonky shaped edges or when running flush the taper inwards.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Oh and I added the tiniest bit of ink before using to tint it slightly blue. Although you could use whatever colour suits best :)

Wow! These models and bases are exquisite! I need to try the cellotape. Was it hard to make it nice and round or did it work out really easy for you?

thank you! I am glad these guys are turning out alright. it was a little bit fiddly, but I raised the bases by sticking them to blu tac, so it meant I didn't need to get the tape flush to edge. Otherwise it would have been a night mare and the water would have been on a slope :P

I'm currently working on another batch. These guys are slightly different in colour as I do t want them to be all identical. But think the might be a bit too pink :/ I can always glaze in some purple at a later stage so going to leave them untill I get the rest of the colour on them.

Will try get some pictures asap. Need to get my light box back from a friend!

Happy painting guys and will update soon :)

3 hours ago, underdog6750 said:

thank you! I am glad these guys are turning out alright. it was a little bit fiddly, but I raised the bases by sticking them to blu tac, so it meant I didn't need to get the tape flush to edge. Otherwise it would have been a night mare and the water would have been on a slope :P

I'm currently working on another batch. These guys are slightly different in colour as I do t want them to be all identical. But think the might be a bit too pink :/ I can always glaze in some purple at a later stage so going to leave them untill I get the rest of the colour on them.

Will try get some pictures asap. Need to get my light box back from a friend!

Happy painting guys and will update soon :)

If you have the time, please take some photos of the progress for us. It would help the community a lot I think.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, Lysandestolpe said:

If you have the time, please take some photos of the progress for us. It would help the community a lot I think.

Hey folks, I didn't get much time painting today as the weather was too nice and my garden needed alot of attention :P

I managed to take a before and after pic of my work so far (the glaze on the horns was still drying for the later) There is still a fair bit of work to do on the horns, then need to do all the puss filled boils, eyes and other small details. Finally ill do the bases and then finish the weapons off.

I also took some with a finished PB to show the difference in colour between the two batches. Its especially noticeable on the old metal guys, where I've tried go for a more mutated look, and tried go for the effect of the bell being apart of the model.

I hope you guys enjoy and any questions/feedback are always greatly appreciated.

I was asked privately and yes I do commissions, although this page is in no way trying to promote that so in regards to that please message me personally as this is my hobby page :)

Happy painting :D

WP_20170511_09_14_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170511_09_15_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20170511_09_15_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20170511_09_15_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20170511_09_17_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170511_10_30_43_Pro.jpg

Archived