Dispossessed & Freepeoples loadouts

BunkhouseBuster

So I am looking at dabbling into another army aside from my Ironjawz, and I am looking at Free Peoples and Dispossessed as two completely different armies with different playstyles than Ironjawz; ranged abilities and hordes of models as opposed to fewer, tougher, melee-only models.  However, I am having some questions about some of the units, specifically for the loadouts on some of the units.  Really, I have a few questions I would like input on:

1.  Freeguild Guard - can take a Shield with any of their weapon options (Halberd, Spear, or Sword).  Is this correct?

2.  Dispossessed Warriors & Longbeards - if I am reading this right, can take the Double-handed weapons WITH their shields.  If this is the case, why would I take the one-handed weapons since these weapons are better, right?

3.  Which, between the two, are the "better" faction?  Considering that the models are all legacy, and they have not yet had a full Battletome release, and I'm not too worried about power level (I am building these with a Narrative in mind), but I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on the armies.

4.  Would it work to mix the armies together, and possibly including some Ironweld Arsenal as well?  As I said, this is a personal fluff army, but I would like a good synergy.

I will get to one now of either the Dispossessed or Free Peoples, and the other later; I can only afford on one army at a time, after all!  Also, my FLGS has a large selection of used Warhammer models, so I will be digging through that to get some of this army going, so expect a "rescue project" coming from me in the coming months!

Thanks!

1. That's correct.

2. Correct. Depends if you play Mono-Dispossessed and have no Hurricanum for buffing the longbeards hitting at 3+ comes in handy. Rending you could get from Runelords, so it comes down to your own flavour/playstyle. The longbeards are considered more an anvil than a hammer.

3. can't speak out of actual battle experience but the Freeguilds and their Ex-Empire-allies seem more tactically flexible (more Access to mages, cav, mortal wounds...) and faster when taking objectives.

4. These guys are Build around synergies fluff- and ruleswise f.e. an Hurricanum would buff all your Order units. Ironweld would be nice to get back your cannons if you don't want to Field legacy units.

Would like to see your Army Project!

9 hours ago, Steini said:

1. That's correct.

2. Correct. Depends if you play Mono-Dispossessed and have no Hurricanum for buffing the longbeards hitting at 3+ comes in handy. Rending you could get from Runelords, so it comes down to your own flavour/playstyle. The longbeards are considered more an anvil than a hammer.

3. can't speak out of actual battle experience but the Freeguilds and their Ex-Empire-allies seem more tactically flexible (more Access to mages, cav, mortal wounds...) and faster when taking objectives.

4. These guys are Build around synergies fluff- and ruleswise f.e. an Hurricanum would buff all your Order units. Ironweld would be nice to get back your cannons if you don't want to Field legacy units.

Would like to see your Army Project!

Thanks!  I was mostly curious about the weapon loadouts, particularly on the Dispossessed units.  It just seemed odd to me, when every other army would have a difference in the stats between weapons if shields were an option.  Still not sure which I would start over the other, but I'm starting to lean to Duardin, since the Dispossessed don't seem to be getting nearly as much love as the Free Peoples, and I have always wanted to have myself a dwarf army.

LOLZ how have the free people gotten "more love" than the dispossesed.... both only got their warscroll when the game was released.. and points and GHB release and nothing else. They might just have more units and the might be more competative.. but nothing else. 

Dispossed seem about gunlines and miners to claim objectives early .. but I might be mistaken not playing them.

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

LOLZ how have the free people gotten "more love" than the dispossesed.... both only got their warscroll when the game was released.. and points and GHB release and nothing else. They might just have more units and the might be more competative.. but nothing else. 

Dispossed seem about gunlines and miners to claim objectives early .. but I might be mistaken not playing them.

In as much that I have not seen near as many project logs or tactics threads for them on various Forums and Facebook over the past year.  By "more love", I was anecdotally referring to my own observations looking at representation.  Yes, both are older legacy armies that are in need of support to be "competitive", but I was referring to their amount of playtime rather than official army support.

I mean, there are hardly any tactics threads for them, but plenty for Free Peoples.  The old Dwarves just seem like the underdog to me right now.

1 minute ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

In as much that I have not seen near as many project logs or tactics threads for them on various Forums and Facebook over the past year.  By "more love", I was anecdotally referring to my own observations looking at representation.  Yes, both are older legacy armies that are in need of support to be "competitive", but I was referring to their amount of playtime rather than official army support.

I mean, there are hardly any tactics threads for them, but plenty for Free Peoples.  The old Dwarves just seem like the underdog to me right now.

Less old dwarf players in comparison to Empire and bretonnia players I guess.

30 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Less old dwarf players in comparison to Empire and bretonnia players I guess.

I suppose so.  I have only ever seen 2 dwarf players in my years of Warhammer Fantasy.  Makes sense given the prevalence of magic and most all armies relying on it back in 8th ed. WHFB.

Which is a shame.  I think I'll get started on my Dispossessed army once my tax return comes in.  Duardins, represent!

• 3 months later...

I am a dispossessed player. Myself and a friend collected miniatures back in our teens and never committed to actual play. 

Now we've just hit thirty we've pulled our our miniatures with the release of AOS and gotten stuck in. Ironically he plays free guild and I dwarfs. 

I've always loved dwarf lore, and their style of play suits me perfectly. I've been extremely successful in full AOS matches, but had a much harder time in skirmish games against him. 

I think dwarfs which are built ons a strong list our unbreakable. 

We plays about 2000 points for full games. I have the King/grudgebearer as my generals, he hits very hard and his increased attacks for all melee units within so many inches of him his brilliant and can plow a massive whole through an enemy line. 

My engineer character. Forget his name. Gives brilliant buffs for artillery, repairs more effectively than a normal engineer (d3 repair rather than just the one wound). Also he increases the range of one thunderes or quarrelers unit by 6

Joseph's bugman I keep close to my king as a healer because my friend has come to know he is a dangerous charter to have on the field. 

Thanks with battle standard, makes all unit within a large range totally immune to battleshock, which is huge and can win you a game.. 

Then I usually take the white dwarf or unforged to hit general on a griffin hard.

Unit wise, longbeards are a must (not just because they're a battleline choice), but because they give brilliant battleshock and save buffs. 

There are lots of other great unit choices. But for me being careful ad timing runs and charges to make full use of shield walls is a must. I find if you role poorly on initiative, your rival is always more worried by that (happening to them) , than a line of dwarfs, buffed up to the eye balls with a shield wall :)

In the Old World that was Warhammer, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, and Ogres co-existed within The Empire. Dwarves were long standing allies for the humans, so narratively they would fit perfectly together. 

If I was in your shoes right now, I wouldn't make any movement into these armies until GHB2017 comes out. The new allies and allegiance abilities might influence how you structure your force. 

Archived