SCGT Rankings and top three lists

shinros

1 minute ago, kaintxu said:

I have to chose between painting and playing, why should I chose painting which means I will probably not be able to play for a year or so and invest my time doing something I do not enjoy? At that point I might as well stop gaming to make you happy?

As an alternative viewpoint on that same thought (one I apply to myself and appreciate, though don't expect, from others) is this -

I have a goal of participating in an event (one off games in a basement or, more often, a tournament). I know that this hobby has lots of aspect to it, including collecting, modelling, painting, and playing games (which includes being a good sport). I make choices all along the path toward the event.  Which models do I buy? Do I do any conversions, and if so how far should I deviate before worrying that my conversion might be misleading or confusing? When I paint, how long do I need to spend to make a presentable force that will embody the best of this hobby and not confuse my opponent? How many practice games do I need with my army so that I am not wasting my opponent's time at the event with needless rules lookups?

Do I have time to properly honor all these aspects of the hobby or do I need to consider waiting for the next event?

How much am I willing to cut corners in the interest of me serving my own needs versus proving a pleasant hobby experience for my opponents?

If I can't be respectful of my opponents, the hobby, and the event, then yes, I skip the event.  I'll probably still go and play some other games or just socialize, but I won't go into it expecting others to accommodate me.

I apply the eastern golden rule as opposed to the self-centered western version.

I say "Do nothing to others that you would not have them do to you."

Just a thought.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kaintxu said:

Showing up with models has the same cost for everyone. Showing up with painted models has a cost that many might not like as they might not enjoy painting, or might not have the time to paint it.

how long does it take to paint an army? If I can only dedicate 3-4 hours a week to the hobby, and I have to chose between painting and playing, why should I chose painting which means I will probably not be able to play for a year or so and invest my time doing something I do not enjoy? At that point I might as well stop gaming to make you happy?

I agree painted armies look way better and even i prefer to play against one, but i do not have the time nor I enjoy painting (i have all my armies half painted because I grew tired of doing it) so if the tournament requires full painting I usually can't go or I lose points and will never win, but I rather that than not playing.

im now commissioning to get some of my malifaux crews painted but I do not have the money to get a whole AoS army painted.

Just commission a few models - your centerpiece models. if you have two behemoths that are 10/10 painting, the rest of your army can be 2/10 and it still looks good on the table.

Spend some time researching speed painting techniques. 
- Get armypainter color primers. When I was playing wood elves i primed my whole army green, quickly painted their bows and faces and they looked great. 
- Get army painter quickshade. You can shade an entire army simply by dunking them in the shade

I once saw an armypainter video where one guy painted an entire massive ork army in one sitting by using different color primers on the sprues and then assembling the models together with different colors. Then he like just painted some minor details and the army was done.

Learn about airbrushing. This will give amazing results in a very short time span. If you cant get your own, ask someone at your local club to help you out to get some of your models looking a little better.

Get friends to help. Sometimes I can convince my wife to help me do some assembly line base coating.

You clearly want to have a painted army, so learn the hacks and shortcuts. Take one 4 hours week off painting and you can easily get every grey or primed model you have to tabletop standard.

Thing is my case is I hate painting. I know how to but I'm too slow and I don't enjoy it.

the model below I have been 3 weeks with it and already bored. I don't get ay joy from painting, for me is boring and a "sacrifice" and I don't like having one of those army painter shade armies.

IMG_2382.JPG

I think being to much of a stickler about painting is a bit much. Some people just don't like the aspect of the hobby or aren't very good. If your not a very good painter feeling forces to paint you models just rubs that in the face of everyone else.

That said i think some effort to base coat a model should be taken, and adding a wash can be done decently with little to no skill, as such this is where i think people should at laest strive to.

Though i do love taking my painted up army and playing against some one who has an army who is paint as well or better than my own quite a lot. I also take a lot of pride in my models, and even intend to go back and repaint some of my death army to bring them up to a higher standard. However, creating barriers to the hobby is not cool bros. 

People who don't like painting should try planning out their painting a little more. If Ben Johnson can paint 2000 points of Daemons in 4 days, anyone can do the same in a month. But as he's been saying on twitter, it was all in the planning. Washes and drybrushes were 80% of his army, and it still looks really nice. It takes the thing you don't like about painting, breaks it down into manageable chunks, and gets you done really fast. Rather than thinking "I want to paint these good", you should think "I'm going to paint these done". If you've planned well, they'll look good when they're done!

And his army does not look dipped. Neither does @Mengel Miniatures's Nighthaunt army, which was also painted incredibly fast.

On 27.4.2017 at 9:15 AM, Dan Heelan said:

They were hand in on the day, so we only had paper copies I'm afraid. I have given them to @Ben to maybe upload on his /lists area.

The top 6 ish lists I posted on my twitter timeline if you are a tweeter!

D

That's a shame! I hope the lists will get fully uploaded.

3 hours ago, kaintxu said:

Where can I see Bens or me gel's armies?

Twitter is usually the best place for @Ben Johnson's stuff. Here's one of the tweets:

You can see pictures of Mengel's army here: http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2017/02/showcase-vanguard-nighthaunts-army.html

He's got a solid painting guide for the army here: http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2016/12/tutorial-nighthaunts-cairn-wraith.html

People that hate painting should really paint with washes over a white coat. Used well is mana from the sky.

Just look at this, an army painted 100% with washes:
http://www.alwaysstrikesfirst.com/post/43361668806/painting-with-washes

http://www.alwaysstrikesfirst.com/post/10764252747/heres-some-of-my-skaven-painted-using-a-wash
It will win no Golden Daemon price but you need only 1/10 of the time and if you hate painting and are a "bad" painter, is the way to go!

I don't think anybody can say that this is a bad painted model, and is painted 100% with washes:
tumblr_ls8e1bdigt1qbjz4zo4_1280.png 

This is the very good part of GW models. Unlike historicals, they have very sharp and exagerated detail, and all of that "detail" that people complay is tiresome because it distracts from the miniature, is very very good to paint with whases. And with AoS range the over-detail of the miniatures has only gonne up! 

Wow, that washes only technique is amazing! I don't hate painting, but as a not-so-artistic person with a shaky hand it is intimidating and time consuming. It seems at first like a technique mostly suited for armies with a dingy look (like skaven), but looks like he used it to great effect on his Empire and Wood Elf armies as well.

Yeah, as I said, this technique is not gonna win you a Golden Daemon price, and you can see some spots where the wash go over details that it shoudln't go, like the shields, but they are totally OK, at least to me. I have used it to paint like my 6 group of 20 orc soldiers and I spend like 1/20 of the time I spent painting them the normal way, and as I'm not a really good painter, the difference really isn't worth the time to me. Is how I paint my lowly grunts now, unless I wan't to go after a special effect.

tumblr_mie0bbiKH01qbjz4zo1_1280.jpg

But this is offtopic so I'll stop it now! I was only trying to give people that don't like paint so much an advice!

I played in the Crystal Labyrinth event at WHW this weekend (my first GW event despite being a collector for 20 years!) and it was ace! The requirements for fully painted and based armies were quite strict, and there were a range of skill levels on display - the result was fantastic, the most immersive WH experience ive ever taken part in. The games included 2x 2k battles, 2x 1k per player doubles games and a 1k per player triumph and treachery game which was hands down the highlight of the weekend. The armies themselves were a good mix, which did include plenty of accursed skyfires and kurnoth hunters, but no Sayl to be seen (praise the gods!). I had my eye on an upcoming aos doubles tourney, but another narrative campaign was announced (with the kharadron overlords as shifty arms dealer types!) and i am 100% sold on doing that instead! For me this type of event really hits all my hobby buttons :)

Big shout out to Steve whose Sylvaneth are by far the most beautiful army ive ever shared a table with, and Eliot whose flying Terrorgheist conversion is getting copied immediately!

I think it's good that some events state you should have a painted force and others don't. For the simple reason that there are so many different aspects to the game. What I do like to always promote painted armies is giving out X ammount of points for a painted army. High or low quality would then be botched into the same catagory but if you wanted to compete there I'd say join a painting contest :) 

Other than that I'm very happy with where GW's armies are, the general community really promotes converting and painting. By comparison half painted/not painted PP (Warmachine) armies are a common sight. By large because the game largely focusses on the gaming aspects and much less the hobby, even converting is severly limited in it's options.

All in all Im looking very forward to how these larger tournaments will shape the way for GH2. I think there is enough evidence that certain set ups should likely be a bit more expensive. This largely applies to a handful of Units in my opinion and just a few Battallions. Untill then, have fun with whatever! The rule of cool in AoS is still strong enough to make a true difference in armies, this is really great. 

22 hours ago, Galas said:

People that hate painting should really paint with washes over a white coat. Used well is mana from the sky.

Just look at this, an army painted 100% with washes:
http://www.alwaysstrikesfirst.com/post/43361668806/painting-with-washes

http://www.alwaysstrikesfirst.com/post/10764252747/heres-some-of-my-skaven-painted-using-a-wash
It will win no Golden Daemon price but you need only 1/10 of the time and if you hate painting and are a "bad" painter, is the way to go!

I don't think anybody can say that this is a bad painted model, and is painted 100% with washes:
tumblr_ls8e1bdigt1qbjz4zo4_1280.png 

This is the very good part of GW models. Unlike historicals, they have very sharp and exagerated detail, and all of that "detail" that people complay is tiresome because it distracts from the miniature, is very very good to paint with whases. And with AoS range the over-detail of the miniatures has only gonne up! 

I have read the guide and it is quite good. I did something similar with some of my plagebearers, but only takes me so far as for all the details, teeth, maggots, it does not make such a good job.

The thing is while I don't enjoy painting, I can do it to a certain level and I hate having crappy painted models.

Really glad there was such great media coverage. The photo albums were awesome and my wife and I got to go through and check out all the great painting, display boards, conversions etc.

That photo album wil always be a place people can refer to if they want to see a realy unique Tzeentch paintjob, the nurgle-destruction conversions, the slannesh conversions were very interesting with a bangin paint job too.

And you can't forget Chris' IronJawz. Lots of awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!

Archived