The blades of Khorne - March to summer slaughter

Lardidar

Hello all, first off sorry if I am in the wrong section here but I wanted a place for both list theory and keeping the motivation to paint.

So I am a long time player of WFB in 5th and 6th and then took a long break until this past February when a YouTube battle report I stumbled across dragged me back to the hobby. Since then I have been consuming Podcasts and YouTube like there is no tomorrow while slowly building up my Khorne force. The frankly superb 1K thread and the hobby contract threads have kept me on track but now I wanted to have a little area to focus on my force.

I signed up to Newcastle warlords summer slaughter, a 2k one day event in June. This is likely to be (bar a inro-game in my local GW) my first games of AoS.

I realise now that I'm typing this at work so don't have access to any of my pictures so maybe for this post I'll talk list and show off some miniatures tomorrow.

So I will be super new to the game but still want to give my opponents a fun and engaging game and have been playing with lists while pretending to work this evening. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice.

Allegiance: Chaos
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Valkia The Bloody (120)
Daemon Prince Of Khorne (160)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
3 x Khorgoraths (300)
Goreblade Warband (60)

Total: 2000/2000

This one at the moment is my personal choice...I can see generating tithe from my own units death being tricky but it looks solid with plenty of bodies, mortal wounds possibly from the letters and a few fun utility characters. There is a choice to swap a stoker for either a aspiring or exhalted but I like the stokers ability.

Another option would be more warriors and reavers for the loss of some Bloodletters but the MW chance and the 'Khorny' feel the Bloodletters give seems too good to give up.

Allegiance: Chaos
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Valkia The Bloody (120)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
3 x Khorgoraths (300)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Another option I have been looking at...lots of small units to hopefully limit the power of (what seems) like all the gunline armies, lots of units to die and generate tithe...wraithmongers seem popular but I don't see why myself...also it has been pointed out that this many drops in setup is a disadvantage.

I have loads of other list ideas and a month before we submit...not sure if I'm indecisive or just excited! This post is long... best stop now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the wrathmongers they are a must on my lists. A slaughterpriest or 2 wouldn't be a bad idea looking at your lists. Gore pilgrims battalion will extend the range of the bloodsecrator so you shouldn't lose too many turns where he isn't using his portal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Azlak the Damned said:

Just to clarify, to generate Tithe you need Khorne allegiance, not Chaos. I'd recommend Khorne over Chaos if you can take it

Thanks, yeah that was just a mistake in the scrollbuilder...Khorne all the way!

18 minutes ago, Percy Verance said:

I love the wrathmongers they are a must on my lists. A slaughterpriest or 2 wouldn't be a bad idea looking at your lists.

Hmm, I don't rate the priest at all...it just seems like the type of unit I'll end up killing myself over it ever being useful. What do you find so good about the mongers? I myself would just choose not to attack them so that they don't trigger the blood rage...maybe as trapping a big monster or drawing lots of gunfire.

With the new prayers they are definitely a better unit imo. Our only access to mystic shield playing under khorne. Coupled with gore pilgrims battalion you can reroll failed attempts too.

I usually send my bloodthirster up with the wrathmongers for the extra attack. It always draws a lot of fire away from the main part of my army (usually big units of bloodletters). There is few things more satisfying than watching your mates model attack itself

4 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

priests are great now! 2 prayers, in the gore pilgrims you can reroll the casting attempt you can easily have d6 mortal wounds and another. per priest. 

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I try to limit the amount of things that can (will) go wrong... a way of killing myself just seems to be asking for it. I'll take a look at gore pilgrims when I'm back with my book (starting this thread at work is starting to feel foolish) but it seems a 3-400 point change to fit it in, D6 mortal and +1 save sounds lovely though (whatever the Khorne for lovely is)

22 minutes ago, Percy Verance said:

I usually send my bloodthirster up with the wrathmongers for the extra attack. It always draws a lot of fire away from the main part of my army (usually big units of bloodletters). There is few things more satisfying than watching your mates model attack itself

I do have a unit of wraithmongers built so they may sneak in but I unfortunately don't have a bloodthirster and can't see myself getting one until after June now...Maybe for my next tournament though.

First list looks very solid. I am however inclined to say that I'd rather include a unit Wrathmongers as 2 additional Khorgoraths for that force. At that point one of your Bloodstokers could also become a Slaughterpriest and with the newer Prayers I also think that this would be a considerable upgrade.

Other than that play what you like and have, I think you'll have a great time. 

Although...this looks decent.

Allegiance: Khorne
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Valkia The Bloody (120)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
3 x Khorgoraths (300)
Gore Pilgrims (80)

5 minutes ago, Killax said:

First list looks very solid. I am however inclined to say that I'd rather include a unit Wrathmongers as 2 additional Khorgoraths for that force. At that point one of your Bloodstokers could also become a Slaughterpriest and with the newer Prayers I also think that this would be a considerable upgrade.

Not sure why I'm so high on 3 Khorgoraths...I think it's because I have 3 painted and just think they look big and intimidating on the table.

So many recommending the priest and mongers that I have to take another look at them...so for mongers do we just throw them at the biggest threat in a 'kill me and I'll make you kill yourself' way? Priest prayers...+1 save and +1 to hit look standout.

1 minute ago, Lardidar said:

So many recommending the priest and mongers that I have to take another look at them...so for mongers do we just throw them at the biggest threat in a 'kill me and I'll make you kill yourself' way? Priest prayers...+1 save and +1 to hit look standout.

Gorepilgrims list is certainly decent! Again though, due to all the buffs those Slaughterpriests can generate be sure to include well.. Large units :D Even here I'd say that more Blood Warriors would be a better choice as more Khorgoraths. 

Wrathmongers arn't the catch and kill me from the getgo, they ideally are a second wave unit that responds to opponents charging into a unit that is in front of them. This gives you two advantages:
1. Initially only you will benifit from their extra attack generation.
2. If the frontal unit wasn't enough to seal the deal the Wrathmongers will and often because of that they become the best bait during later stages of the game.
Most of the time though Wrathmongers are such a fine choice because they are an ideal responce to opposing Monsters and heavy hitters, less against Ranged units of cheap chaff.

I personally like the look of the Khorgoraths aswell but the one thing that keeps me into looking at units is because the Khorgoraths simply didn't recieve the same ammount of possible love as all the multi model units in Blades of Khorne. We allready had the Bloodsecrator but now the door is wide open to practically any Khorne Hero. From Bloodthirster to Herald of Khorne to Khorne Lords, Bloodsecrators and Slaughterpriest but even the simple Aspiring Deathbringer has become a legit choice thanks to how well Slaughter Incarnate makes him for one Blood Tithe point with his relative low cost.

The beauty of BoK design is that practically everything fits into a X20 design, the only exception are Bloodreavers but it allows for great list customisation while only switching some units around :) 

Gore pilgrim is nice... but remenber you pay basically 400 pts (without taking in account the bloodreavers and bloodwarrior who are a pure tax because they don't have any benefit of being in this warscroll battalion)  only for making 3 fragile character a bit better. It's lot of point in pure support.

35 minutes ago, ledha said:

Gore pilgrim is nice... but remenber you pay basically 400 pts (without taking in account the bloodreavers and bloodwarrior who are a pure tax because they don't have any benefit of being in this warscroll battalion)  only for making 3 fragile character a bit better. It's lot of point in pure support.

Yeah its build for Slaughterpriest fans :) Though Slaughterpriest go further as pure support. Keep in mind that there are 2 Prayers to be made by the Bloodsecrator which will often lead to Blood Boil + offensive support Blood Blessing. All of these re-rolled.

In my eyes you pay roughly 'only' 10-20 more per Slaughterpriest to obtain a succesful D6 mortal wounds from range, this still is quite the deal at that cost. More importantly maby you open another Artefact slot, also worth X points for certain. 

So honestly Id say its a great deal, if you like Slaughterpriests :P 

Played last night's game. The slaughterpriests did their job very well. 1 used to heal d3 and the other to give +1 to hit added to a 30" range on the bloodsecrator the gore pilgrims battalion is definitely one I'd use again. Opened the portal of skulls in turn 1 and never had to move him so had the ability all game.

In my opinion, Khorgoraths have a secret ability of meshing with the Slaughterpriests Blood Tithe Generating prayer. 

They have enough wounds that you can tap them once or twice to get tithe and they'll still be swinging. 

Just a thought.

If they are down to their last wound in a losing fight anyways, kill them yourself and get the Tithe rather than wait for your opponent to do it after his hero phase is done and he already cast a devastating spell you couldnt unbind 'cause you were short a Tithe.

@Aspirant Snaeper It's certainly an option. Khorgoraths can be quite tar-pitty, though overall speaking I'd say that even the Slaughterpriest Blood Blessings overall mesh more with pretty much any larger unit. Because good saves (4+) with Bronzed Flesh makes pretty much everything more tarpitty.
The Khorgoraths by themselves are a fine choice but as above I'd say that our infantry support went to 8th gear ;).  

Speaking about big units, as always there is a pro and con, though I personally will go for a mix with at least one massive block. Can't wait to let the Bloodstoker give that extra push to Murderhost and Goretide units.

Specifically speaking of the ability to generate tithe by inflicting D3 wounds, Khorgoraths are the best. 

You use that ability on any other unit and they're going to lose combat effectiveness almost instantly. Skullreapers and Wrathmongers are too valuable, Blood Warriors dont have enough wounds, and killing your own Reavers just helps your enemy. 

Khorgoraths could theorhetically take two-three hits for Tithe and still have 3-4 wounds left if you're rolling 1's.

Well the constant question you have to ask yourself there is if it's 'worth it' to invest at least 200 points (Slaughterpriest and Khorgorath) and spend your time dealing D3 damage to yourself to generate 1 Blood Tithe point.

My vision on that is that it isn't worth it for competative games. The reason for that is also quite simple. As you have to consider this:
1. Do I want to keep my Khorgorath near 3" of my Slaughterpriest? (No) The Slaughterpiest has some great ranged abilities in Prayers and has little to look for in melee. It's nice that you up your chances of Prayers if he kills something but Gore Pilgrims should be sufficient support to make your Slaughterpriests 'worth it'.
2. Do I not want Bronzed Flesh? (You'll want Bronze Flesh) Bronzed Flesh by far is one of the best tools we have available to make it across the board. Skullcannon spam aside (which is also extremely dicey) we still should look for melee to press our advantage (as a Khorne Allegiance army). 
3, Do I not want Killing Frenzy? (You'll want Killing Frenzy) If your going to reach the enemy with a handful of models at least make sure they'll push their weight. 

So to be honest with you here, if I where to rank the 6 Blood Blessings (from best to worst) I'd put Blood Sacrifice on number 5. With only Magebane Hex being slighty worse because of general Khorne army composition and the many "Unbind" models we have. I mean even the Bloodsecrator can play it's role in that.
If Blood Sacrifice had a 16" range I'd likely put it above Resanguination, but it doesn't. 3" is very short and I'm not going to kill my own Priests when I've invested into Gore Pilgrims. 

Tournament House-rules
If your running in a SCGT House-ruled event I'd also agrue that Slaughterpriest and therefore Gore Pilgrims become significantly worse.  This is because of how Prayers work like spells and how same name abilities cannot stack.

The moment you still want to include a trio of Slaughterpriest or there you can still do so but Id really go for a Bronzed Flesh, Killing Fenzy and Brazen Fury or Resanguination set up. 

Cheers,

Just to warn everyone this post is picture heavy. 

Thanks for the ongoing conversation...it's good hearing from people with a bit more experience in the game.

Anyway..lets catch up with pictures where the army is at now.

Mighty lord of Khorne

P1015905.JPG.4be837dc401945f5252d59d9810006e0.JPG

The Blood stoker and secrator

P1015907.JPG.96f1173a913946a7842a09c68667fdcc.JPGP1015881.JPG.cfa65019e8e4c10a2650f12ced61fbc7.JPG

The Blood warriors and reavers

P1015896.JPG.50eb09779a045a46f7b258e70e3f0739.JPGP1015922.JPG.af69970facc05046c0fe6ab46330257c.JPG

The Korgoraths

P1015921.jpg.0baf9cc8fd2b925bd112e9b8cab87951.jpg

This all comes in at 960 points so far. Next on the table is Valkia and I have a prince and 30 bloodletters somewhere in the Royal mail system.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:02 AM, Killax said:

Fantastic work! 

Thank you.

So I'm looking at lists still and have decided I want to mix mortal and daemon...I also want to mix up the size of miniatures to make it visually appealing and not all 32mm rounds.

How's this look? It's bits taken from the various tactica posts here plus my 'manly arousal' for Korgorath.

Allegiance: Khorne
Daemon Prince Of Khorne (160)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Skulltaker (100)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer 
Valkia The Bloody (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
30 x Bloodletters (300)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
3 x Khorgoraths (300)
Murderhost (20)

Total: 2000/2000

A Little concerned I'm only at 5/6 hero slots...

The set up looks really good to me! What is a worthy consideration, especially with the Murderhost set up is to switch Valkia and the Daemon Prince for a Bloodthirster Insensate Rage. It would bring 4 Monsters to the table which is quite the significant alternate threat but most of all, your Bloodthirster has a real additional buff for the Bloodletters aswell, which opens up for just 1 Blood Tithe point. 

In general though I'm of the firm belief that anything with Murderhost and 60 Bloodletters is a competative viable 2K list from the getgo, so apply as much buffs to that as you like.

Like you the prime reason as to why I like BoK so much is because it allows for a great blend of models, which for the hobbyist is more than ideal :) 

I love that conversion! Very nicely done!

On 4/23/2017 at 11:58 PM, ledha said:

Thats a little short sighted i feel.

You're essentially extending a bubble of +1 attack a further 12-18" making sure you'll never need to move the BS. Deploy in scenery with the artifact that allows him to reroll armour saves of 1 and he's near untouchable by anything bar MW.

The SP's are utterly neccesary to deilver a hard hitting letterbomb!

Archived